AuthorTopic: Voting now OPEN on the Diner for President of the World (POTW)  (Read 6351 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Voting now OPEN on the Diner for President of the World (POTW)
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
How about this, er, uh, guy....Stu Rasmussen, the mayor of Silverton Oregon.

The TransWorld Candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stu_Rasmussen

Stu is a very special man, as you can see.

Warning: Failure to certify this candidate might mean you're discriminating against LGBT citizens, denying them their Constitutional rights, and possibly committing a hate crime.

The photo below adds no additional information, but I wanted to know how many people viewing it think it looks like an old Monty Python skit.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »
We pirate Netflix off the kid's account.

Just to remind you, I don't have kids.

RE

Yes. Definitely poor planning on your part.

I'm sure you know somebody with a Netflix account, though.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2018, 02:30:23 PM »

Warning: Failure to certify this candidate might mean you're discriminating against LGBT citizens, denying them their Constitutional rights, and possibly committing a hate crime.

The photo below adds no additional information, but I wanted to know how many people viewing it think it looks like an old Monty Python skit.

OK, I'll add Stu!  :icon_sunny:  He/She has Executive Experience, so is a serious candidate.

I will wait the rest of the day for further nominations and have the new poll up tomorrow.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2018, 03:28:46 PM »

Does she have a weiner?   ;D

Not that it will affect my vote...just curious. 

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2018, 03:42:19 PM »
Survey says yes...and he considers himself a he, not a she.

But he DID get a boob job anyway, from what I understand. He apparently has owned and run the local movie house in Silverton for 43 years.

Don't sit in the balcony, whatever you do.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ NEWEST President of the World (POTW) Election for Currently Living People
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2018, 02:51:01 AM »
Who will win this round?  Drop your ballot in the box at the top of the page.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile

RE

We currently have a 3-Way tie between Julian, Ashvin and Jose.  We need more voters!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile

RE

We currently have a 3-Way tie between Julian, Ashvin and Jose.  We need more voters!

RE

We now have a 5-Way Tie!  ::)

Gotta love how Democratic Voting works!   ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2018, 10:44:34 PM »
NEW Nominations from Currently Alive People needed for the new election!

RE

I will nominate Diner Ashvin.

His goodwill towards others, keen intellect and ability to communicate, scholarship and willingness to engage others who opposed his views in serious thoughtful discussion; his sense of fairness and respect of others with opposite views as well as his trustworthiness make him an ideal candidate for such a responsible position.

Kindly place Ashvin in contention, nominated by GO.  Thanks

Ashvin taught me a great deal and he is sorely missed at the Diner.  He was one of the Diner Greats, along with Peter, UncleBob, MKing, Reanteben, Karpatok, JoeP, Duncan, Nobody and other major contributors who are no longer with us for one reason or another.  :(

Those are really kinds words, GO. I truly appreciate it! What are the chances that I would choose to drop in on this forum for the first time in ____ (?) months and find out I have been nominated to be POTW??  :o

I haven't even visited collapse blogs lately, let alone try to write for or in one. Part of it is being busy with work and personal stuff, but then again it only takes a few minutes to check in and drop a post every once in awhile. I guess the real reason is that I don't find any productive value in it.

It's a bit disheartening to think that so many great minds could "come together" and almost nothing of substantive value could result. For all the articles, posts, musings and predictions WE have all produced in various collapse forums, what has resulted? It almost seems like it has done more harm than good, if for no other reason than it has motivated others to waste so much time and brain power here, with the illusory promise that something real and profound and worthwhile is sure to come from it. Perhaps it is just the nature of online forums that creates this dynamic in which a bunch of smart people can spend a lot of time writing interesting and contemplative things to each other, and yet no one is better off for it (I can hear the voices saying, "speak for yourself!"... and that's what I am doing).

That being said, and what I think I have been consistent about for the last two years or so, is that philosophical or theological discussion is always worthwhile. The online dynamic almost drains even this topic of all it's efficacy, but it remains, in my mind, the ONLY subject which could be discussed without coming at an unbearable opportunity cost.

What a pleasure hearing from you Ashvin.

Your old productive and industrious, as well as thoughtful self I see. Yes doom blogs are pretty much a waste of time, especially for a young man like yourself with so much talent and desire to do something constructive. Not so much so for us old timers that have pretty much reached our zenith a while back. More a social club in my view where we chew the fat and exchange life experiences and beliefs dating back to our youth.

As I think back on all the postings on the Diner, from peak oil to collapse, my gold threads, it is obvious to me that your theological and philosophical discussions were the most important and still relevant years later. Personally, it was like being back in school listening to one of the most scholarly of the Jesuits for me. Your ability to explain Christianity is a true gift, one you should be proud and thankful for.

You must have so much on your plate, with the law practice and your varied interests. Please find the time to drop in now and then for a moment and let us know your okay.        Great hearing from  you Ash, GO 

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2018, 09:22:10 AM »
I don't see any real negative in contemplating on what it would take to make a better future, even if it is highly unlikely you can succeed IRL with such discussions.  It's a Thought Experiment with others who have decent brain power and some concept of what is ongoing here.  You never know though, at some point it might go VIRAL.

For me, it occupies my days as I wait to die.  It's entertaining in its own way.  It tests your creativity in thinking about the problems and what it might take to resolve them, or at least work around them.  For people currently struggling to make their way through this clusterfuck, bizzy with work and their own lives, maybe it takes too much time and emotional energy, but as you say you can just drop in once in a while with some thoughts on the subjects being discussed.  This does not take much time to do.  When I was still working, I would compose up my blogs in my head during the day, then pound them out on the keyboard fairly rapidly in the evening while eating my dinner or waiting for it to finish cooking.  What else is there to do?  Watch stupid TV shows?

RE

There are some very thought-provoking TV shows now! Check out Black Mirror on Netflix.

The underlying assumption in your response is that the ongoing "thought experiment" from blogging here does not have a significant negative impact on readers. I think many of the posts are relatively harmless, but there are also a decent amount which are misinformed, misguided and sometimes even malevolent.

There are some posters who shall rename nameless for now, who drop substantial amounts of posts here, which posit speculative collapse-related worldviews and harshly condemn anyone who would question them. They create an atmosphere of unrelenting fear, anxiety and paranoia that is unwarranted and unhealthy. Certainly unproductive to any hopes of real progress in our society's attitudes and mindsets about the best ways to move forward.

I don't own a TV.

As far as the "malevolence" you find here on the Diner, compared to what you get in the movies, TV or video games, it's positively mild.  It also has nowhere near the reach that media has, particularly the forum here.  There are maybe 20 people who post up periodically and we have a decent crew of lurkers too, but I doubt more than 100 different people read a given post made on the forum.  It's mainly a sounding board for the regulars to share their opinions on a variety of doom related topics.  The amount of damage this could possibly do is insignificant, at least at the moment.  If it ever went viral it might have an impact, but that seems unlikely.

Our discussions are often spirited, and no 2 Diners agree on everything.  Barfights break out periodically too.  It's really just like going to the local Pub, sitting down at the bar and shooting the shit with other regulars and the Bartender.  Just here we can do it across the whole Globe, which you need to do to find enough people who have the brains to elucidate what is occurring here and speculate on what is coming down the pike.  IRL, just about nobody has anyone else to discuss Collapse issues with, their family members don't wanna hear about it.

You and I will never agree on religion and certainly not the deification of Jesus Christ, but that doesn't mean I don't like discussing religion with you or that I don't take away new insights about the topic resulting from our discussions either.  I do.  So drop in here whenever you like, have a beer and shoot the shit.  The number of people we can possibly harm here is miniscule.

RE

Sure, I get that. And I didn't mean that what goes on here is some huge detriment to society, at least not the Diner by itself.

Maybe things have changed, but it used to be that people visited forums like this one for some real profundity and insight into what has happened and, more importantly, what will happen in the near-term and how we should all think and react going forward. On that level, I think the collapse blogosphere has failed spectacularly.

But it's good that you, as the forum founder, recognize the limitations of your creation and are willing to "market" it as more of a hangout where various minds can pontificate with each other on a range of topics (some more asinine than others). I'll make an effort to pop in for the philosophical and theological musings.

Somehow, I have been getting Netflix for free since it first started...

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2018, 09:54:46 AM »
Ashvin,
I threw my ticket in your hat for a reason.
This planet needs some clarity to say the least.
With your closed minded-ness I expect we can get back to BAU mucho,pronto, Amigo !

It's nice to see your tongue hasn't lost it's edge.....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »
Sure, I get that. And I didn't mean that what goes on here is some huge detriment to society, at least not the Diner by itself.

Maybe things have changed, but it used to be that people visited forums like this one for some real profundity and insight into what has happened and, more importantly, what will happen in the near-term and how we should all think and react going forward. On that level, I think the collapse blogosphere has failed spectacularly.

I don't think anyone ever went to a forum to find profundity and insight.  If they did, they don't understand the nature of online forums.  They go to chew the fat with others of like minds.  Or to argue with people of the opposite mindset.  The collapse blogosphere has succeeded magnificently in this respect.  :icon_sunny:

But it's good that you, as the forum founder, recognize the limitations of your creation and are willing to "market" it as more of a hangout where various minds can pontificate with each other on a range of topics (some more asinine than others). I'll make an effort to pop in for the philosophical and theological musings.

I don't consider this a limitation, it's a feature.  :icon_sunny:

We don't have many theological and philosophical discussions anymore.  First off, you and Ka dropped out.  Second, the rest of us all know what the others think on these topics.  We exhausted them.

Somehow, I have been getting Netflix for free since it first started...

If/When they discover this, you can be charged retroactively for all of it, plus a fine for knowingly pirating content.

Your not so subtle attempts to diss the board did not go unnoticed.  Have a nice day. :P

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »
Julian and Ashvin are tied in the latest election for POTW.  If they are still tied tomorrow, we will have a runoff election.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2018, 03:08:49 PM »
Well I voted for Ashvin because I know him, at least his online presence.  I know he's very intelligent and aware of the issues that are really affecting the world by way of economics and the biosphere.  I also know that he'd keep religion out of politics.  It's been a while since I argued with him, but I only remember arguing about religion.  As far as I know I agree with him on most all other big topics. 

I definitely would not want a male with breast implants running the world.  That shit is unstable.  I'd rather have a transgender with breast implants whom considers himself a her.  If you get tits and consider yourself a man...that's just creepy and unstable psychology.  It says a lot that we have a sizeable portion of this civilization that takes that shit seriously. 

I'm glad to see you back Ashvin.  I come and go, but I always come back to my internet home.  There's not really any other internet site I care about or want to spend time at.  For me, this is a familiar bar with patrons I know personally.  Usually when I'm on the Diner I'm drinkin' a beer (or 6).  It's just a place to hang out with like minded people while getting tipsy.  Otherwise I'd just be drinkin' beer by myself in the sleeper of a truck. 

Offline Ashvin

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2018, 06:03:09 PM »
I don't think anyone ever went to a forum to find profundity and insight.  If they did, they don't understand the nature of online forums.  They go to chew the fat with others of like minds.  Or to argue with people of the opposite mindset.  The collapse blogosphere has succeeded magnificently in this respect.  :icon_sunny:

People don't spend time arguing with other people unless they really care about the topic they're arguing about. Now this has mostly changed through the medium of online forums and social media, and that is my point. Even if they don't really care, the collapse crowd certainly ACTS like they do care.

I don't consider this a limitation, it's a feature.  :icon_sunny:

We don't have many theological and philosophical discussions anymore.  First off, you and Ka dropped out.  Second, the rest of us all know what the others think on these topics.  We exhausted them.

I know you don't, and that's the problem! At least it was the problem... now that you recognize this feature is the exclusive value of the forum, perhaps it's not anymore.

If/When they discover this, you can be charged retroactively for all of it, plus a fine for knowingly pirating content.

Your not so subtle attempts to diss the board did not go unnoticed.  Have a nice day. :P

RE

Is this your expert legal opinion? They can't steal my credit card or bank information and start making charges I never agreed to.

I didn't think I was being subtle... I am definitely intending to be super critical of what goes on in this forum. To be fair I should say what WENT on, since I haven't been following very closely for some time.