AuthorTopic: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant  (Read 268551 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: 💻 Computer Woes: POWER DOWN!
« Reply #1770 on: January 27, 2020, 05:46:30 PM »
I am gone again!

I now have a 100% power outage! This one apparently is affecting the entire complex, if not the whole valley.

Back on the backup systems.   ::)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant
« Reply #1771 on: January 27, 2020, 06:54:51 PM »
Stay warm. Good luck, and hope it doesn't last all night.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: January 27, 2020, 08:41:43 PM »
Stay warm. Good luck, and hope it doesn't last all night.

Going on 4 hours now.

Still good on the Backups.  I have a dozen Juice Bottles (I save them) out on the Porch to Freeze.  At -10F this does not take very long.  lol.  I rotate these bottles into the fridge to keep it cold until power is restored.

OK for Heat as well.  Boiler is out, but I still have NG running to my stove.  I have found in the past if I run 2 burners on Full, this keeps the digs plenty warm.

Plenty Batt Power to run my Diode Lights and my Laptop.  I probably can go at least 2 days without firing up the Gennie.  I haven't even gone to the Big Ass Deep Cycle Marine Batt yet.  If it persists, on goes the 2000W Pure Sine Wave Inverter I have hooked to that.

Cell phone Tethering to the internet still working, though it is slow.  No video Uploads until this shit is fixed.  Text only.

RE
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 08:43:21 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline AJ

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: January 28, 2020, 02:55:22 AM »
Do you have to worry about CO build-up with running the stove to heat?? We lost power yesterday for 9 hours and even when its 50 outside the house (all electric) starts getting chilly and into the low 60's. I cook outside on a propane camp stove but have considered bringing it inside but for the CO poisoning prospects.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: January 28, 2020, 05:18:56 AM »
Do you have to worry about CO build-up with running the stove to heat?? We lost power yesterday for 9 hours and even when its 50 outside the house (all electric) starts getting chilly and into the low 60's. I cook outside on a propane camp stove but have considered bringing it inside but for the CO poisoning prospects.
AJ
AJ for small periods of time propane or natural gas cooking and heating would be ok. Propane less so than Natural gas of course. One of the biggest problems is condensation buildup. It depends how tight your house is. Many states even still allow unvented natural gas fireplaces... You should of course always have a carbon monoxide detector and crack a window...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: January 28, 2020, 06:45:42 AM »
POWER is now BACK!   :icon_sunny:

Longest one ever, over 12 hours!

There is no problem running the stove burners for heat.  The boiler runs a similar size burner when it is actually working.  I have a CO2 detector anyhow.

Video coming shortly as soon as I can get the Upload done.  I recorded it during the Blackout.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
💻 BLACKOUT on the Last Great Frontier
« Reply #1776 on: January 28, 2020, 06:50:41 AM »
A good test of my Preps.  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Azk2zofODE8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Azk2zofODE8</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline AJ

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: January 28, 2020, 07:38:32 AM »
Good to see you're back.
I myself have the solar array and a huge battery backup/dual inverter system. When the power goes off the controller immediately switches 5 circuits over to the inverter. I picked those circuits when we had the system installed as they power the home fridge, chest freeze, UV water system sterilizer, pressure pump, modem/router and cell phone extender. When I sized the battery it was supposed to power those devices for approximately 3 days. I also have a 4Kw Honda generator that can get hooked to the inverter to charge the batteries after 3 days. My problem is that the solar array is essentially useless at this time of the year (north facing slope in overcast Oregon). I also have two UPS power supplies for the modem/router and cell phone extender that I bought before I went solar. When the power goes out we have no hot water, home heating or cooking. We do have an upstairs "decorative" Morso wood stove for some residual heating. If the grid ever goes down permanently I have a small wood stove to install downstairs for some cooking/heating (my wife would never let me install it now - not the right decorative look :icon_scratch:).
I like the power outages because they let me prep for longer outages in the future. I get the system more and more refined.
I just purchased this: Amerelle Emergency Lights For Home by Amertac, 2 Pack from amazon. It only has 3 LEDs but it stays plugged into a socket and comes on only when power goes off - helps if you are in the shower and the light goes out. Wish there was something a little brighter, but it works.
Time to go stock up on some virus disinfectant!
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: January 28, 2020, 07:47:57 AM »
Good to see you're back.
I myself have the solar array and a huge battery backup/dual inverter system. When the power goes off the controller immediately switches 5 circuits over to the inverter. I picked those circuits when we had the system installed as they power the home fridge, chest freeze, UV water system sterilizer, pressure pump, modem/router and cell phone extender. When I sized the battery it was supposed to power those devices for approximately 3 days. I also have a 4Kw Honda generator that can get hooked to the inverter to charge the batteries after 3 days. My problem is that the solar array is essentially useless at this time of the year (north facing slope in overcast Oregon). I also have two UPS power supplies for the modem/router and cell phone extender that I bought before I went solar. When the power goes out we have no hot water, home heating or cooking. We do have an upstairs "decorative" Morso wood stove for some residual heating. If the grid ever goes down permanently I have a small wood stove to install downstairs for some cooking/heating (my wife would never let me install it now - not the right decorative look :icon_scratch:).
I like the power outages because they let me prep for longer outages in the future. I get the system more and more refined.
I just purchased this: Amerelle Emergency Lights For Home by Amertac, 2 Pack from amazon. It only has 3 LEDs but it stays plugged into a socket and comes on only when power goes off - helps if you are in the shower and the light goes out. Wish there was something a little brighter, but it works.
Time to go stock up on some virus disinfectant!
AJ
aj in your situation I would move over a plug circuit to the inverter and kill the UPS... they are extremely inefficient and their transfer switch usually sucks. Your inverter is staying hot anyways so no need to pay the conversion cost from ac to dc to ac twice... also handy is moving over a single little used plug near the kitchen for a power outage hotplate. Great for some hot water and minimal cooking or full bore all put if you run the generator. Your ba kup panel sounds like a near mirror image of mine...
Cheers,  NF
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: January 28, 2020, 07:52:30 AM »
How much did you guys pay for your backup power systems?  Mine comes in under $2000.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: January 28, 2020, 08:11:40 AM »
How much did you guys pay for your backup power systems?  Mine comes in under $2000.  :icon_sunny:

RE
all told about 10000 at this point but dont forget I used it as primary power for 8 years at roughly 800 a year based on my neighbours' bills. I blew a set of batteries in there as a newbie mistake and upgraded the inverter out of curiosity alone. It still creates about 5kw per day in the summer and 1.5 8n the winter so it's still paying the freight...

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: January 28, 2020, 08:29:30 AM »

RE
all told about 10000 at this point but dont forget I used it as primary power for 8 years at roughly 800 a year based on my neighbours' bills. I blew a set of batteries in there as a newbie mistake and upgraded the inverter out of curiosity alone. It still creates about 5kw per day in the summer and 1.5 8n the winter so it's still paying the freight...

So you got back over 8 years roughly $6400, out of $10,000 that means you are still negative by $3600.  I am way ahead of you there, by about $2,000. lol.

Besides that, I got nowhere to drop a solar PV array that large, so this kind of solution is out of the question for me anyhow.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: January 28, 2020, 08:43:05 AM »

RE

So you got back over 8 years roughly $6400, out of $10,000 that means you are still negative by $3600.  I am way ahead of you there, by about $2,000. lol.

Besides that, I got nowhere to drop a solar PV array that large, so this kind of solution is out of the question for me anyhow.

RE
agreed but the difference is an asset in regular usage that makes back some of its expenses versus one that lives only for emergencies... I bought panels at $4 a watt so today I could get twice the array for half the money... 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: January 28, 2020, 08:57:39 AM »

RE

RE
agreed but the difference is an asset in regular usage that makes back some of its expenses versus one that lives only for emergencies... I bought panels at $4 a watt so today I could get twice the array for half the money...

I still have nowhere to put such an array, it is out of the question.

Besides that, any general power outage that lasts a month or more is going to end up in complete havoc.  Stores will not have food, it's Children of Men time.  I'm not gonna live through that anyhow.  I'll be lucky if I can live to see the month this level of collapse arrives in my neighborhood with full services and the grocery shelves still stocked with goodies.

My system is good for a month at least, depending how much gas I keep on hand for the Gennie.  Besides what I can siphon from my carz, I always have 24 Gallons in Jerry Cans on hand.  4X5 Gallon, and 2X2 Gallon.  I can get all my Batts charged up in maybe 3 hours running at 2000Watts.  That's good for a couple of days.  That uses up less than half a gallon of gas.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
💻 RE Internet DOWN!
« Reply #1784 on: March 19, 2020, 01:35:13 PM »
My main internet connection is down AGAIN!!! On the backup now.  No tech for a home visit until tomorrow.  I am going to reconfigure my other computers now.  I will probably be scarce tonight though.  Limited bandwidth.

RE
Save As Many As You Can