PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> 🐕 The Iditarod: The Ultimate test of the Homo Sap-Canine Partnership

Poll

Iditarod & Dog Mushing Poll

AuthorTopic: 🐕 The Iditarod: The Ultimate test of the Homo Sap-Canine Partnership  (Read 4857 times)

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant: Iditarod 2018
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 07:55:40 PM »
RE: You wanna also ban Horse Racing because horses sometimes break their legs in a race and have to be put down?

Yes, definitely.  That would stop a lot of animal cruelty for human fun.

How about banning breeding cows because we put them down all the time to eat them?  Are you a Vegan?

Yes, it would solve the CO2 problem at the same time.
I'm not a vegan, but I could manage perfectly well without eating cows.

Not many dogs die on the Iditarod anymore.

ONLY 4 on the last one, wasn't it?

The dogs are ATHLETES, pushing the limits of canine endurance and speed.

No dog would push the limits of endurance and speed without being "mushed" to do it by the humans that claim to love them.  The humans love glory and money more than their dogs.

But the point of the complaint is YOUR ATTITUDE towards people who have a different, justifiable opinion to you.  It shows in everything you do and say.  You are not interested in how to make it acceptable to animal rights activists. No compromise.  Treat them like shit and maybe they'll go away.

"The State is a body of armed men."

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant: Iditarod 2018
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 08:06:30 PM »
But the point of the complaint is YOUR ATTITUDE towards people who have a different, justifiable opinion to you.  It shows in everything you do and say.  You are not interested in how to make it acceptable to animal rights activists. No compromise.  Treat them like shit and maybe they'll go away.

Actually, the Animal Rights activists were treated very nicely.  :icon_sunny:  They were thanked for contributing to the Alaska Economy by buying Hotel Rooms and eating in Restaurants where I'll bet half of them ate MEAT! lol.  Or at least Fish.  They also all flew up here on airplanes burning a shitload of jet fuel.

What else could be done to make this more safe for the dogs?  They are all tested by vets for their condition for running the race.  Without the race, the dogs simply would not exist AT ALL.  Most of the dogs only run a few years, average age between 4-8.  Then the best ones are used for breeding, to make a still better generation of sled dogs.  They would not be being bred at all if it wasn't for the racing, and then we wouldn't have any available for when the bush planes and snow machines got no gas.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: 🐕 The Iditarod: The Ultimate test of the Homo Sap-Canine Partnership
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2018, 08:26:14 PM »
Actually, the Animal Rights activists were treated very nicely. 

Anchorage Daily News reports:
"Are you kidding me?" said one man as he walked by the protest, to which the woman he was with replied, "Shame on them." Another man motioned to the demonstrators and referred to them as "crazy people."

I assume that first person was you.
Shame on the crazy protesters !
Kill them, for spoiling our fun !

What else could be done to make this more safe for the dogs?

I gave you several options before, or have you forgotten because you have no intention of doing anything.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 08:31:47 PM »
I have no intention of doing anything because we NEED those dogs for the future of a life after the Age of Oil.  Besides which, they are treated EXTREMELY well.  These dogs get the best food and constant love and attention from their owners.  You can't say the same for most pet dogs.

Quote from: Stan Hooley
In an interesting twist, Alaskans can expect to see non-resident, PETA protesters in Alaska this year. While we respect their right to protest, they are gravely misinformed about how the Iditarod operates, and clearly do not understand how much the canine athletes love to run. So, when you see these folks on the streets, please extend to them our famous Alaska hospitality, but tell them why they’re wrong. You can also thank them for boosting our state’s economy by paying for hotel rooms, rental cars, meals, entertainment, airline tickets, and more. The Iditarod is proud of the economic contribution to Alaska and thanks all Alaskans who support and contribute to the Last Great Race.
Stan Hooley is CEO of the Iditarod Trail Committee.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 08:36:36 PM »
I love dogs and would never want to see any animal mistreated, but in this country the PETA people are fucking nuts. They have drunk the Walt Disney Kool-Aid. Way over the top.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
I love dogs and would never want to see any animal mistreated, but in this country the PETA people are fucking nuts. They have drunk the Walt Disney Kool-Aid. Way over the top.

Sled Dogs are NOT mistreated, any more than a horse which pulls a plow is "mistreated".  ::)  They're WORK ANIMALS!  Helpers & Partners with Homo Sap.  That is WHY we bred them and domesticated them!  The job of the Horse is to pull a plow, the job of the Alaskan Sled Dog is to pull a sled!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 09:05:27 PM »
Anna Berington Pulls into the Lead!  :icon_sunny:

Iditarod 2018 1
Iditarod 2018 1

Still real early though.  Running lead is tough because even though the trail is prepped, you're still breaking trail for others.  This may have been too early for AB to take the lead.  Maybe she has real confidence in the endurance of her dogs and can break away from the pack?  ???   :icon_scratch:  Is her team Secretariat at Belmont?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/V18ui3Rtjz4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/V18ui3Rtjz4</a>

RE
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:12:44 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 10:47:52 PM »
Don't they have drug testing in the US ? - No, I suppose not, we don't want to spoil people's fun, do we?

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2018, 02:45:54 AM »
Don't they have drug testing in the US ? - No, I suppose not, we don't want to spoil people's fun, do we?

You clearly are clueless about mushing.  ::)  Of COURSE they do drug testing!  That's part of the pre-race checkup with the vets.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐕 The Iditarod: Official Start Livestream & Current Standings
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2018, 03:24:21 AM »
Anna Berington has dropped back.  Moving slowly also.  Still a long way to go though.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8Tp55jOXc2w" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8Tp55jOXc2w</a>

RACE STANDINGS
POS    MUSHER    BIB    CHKPNT    TIME    DOGS    AVG SPEED
1    Linwood Fiedler    8    Out of Skwentna    3/4 22:45:00    16 (0)    6.57
2    Nicolas Petit    46    Out of Skwentna    3/4 23:13:00    16 (0)    9.73
3    Peter Kaiser    30    Out of Skwentna    3/4 23:52:00    16 (0)    6.19
4    Cody Strathe    2    Out of Skwentna    3/5 00:25:00    16 (0)    4.64
5    Ryan Redington    7    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:00:00    16 (0)    10.40
6    Wade Marrs    11    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:00:00    16 (0)    9.78
7    Richie Diehl    29    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:07:00    16 (0)    4.86
8    Anna Berington    4    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:11:00    16 (0)    4.31
9    Joar Leifseth Ulsom    33    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:18:00    16 (0)    4.89
10    Rick Casillo    9    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:27:00    16 (0)    4.40
11    Robert Redington    34    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:33:00    16 (0)    4.81
12    Mats Pettersson    3    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:35:00    16 (0)    9.00
13    Michelle Phillips    18    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:35:00    16 (0)    4.44
14    Alan Eischens    53    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:42:00    16 (0)    10.00
15    Mitch Seavey    13    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:43:00    16 (1)    9.52
16    Ray Redington Jr    17    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:45:00    16 (0)    9.89
17    Kristy Berington    20    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:49:00    16 (0)    4.26
18    Aaron Burmeister    64    Out of Skwentna    3/5 01:56:00    16 (0)    5.22
19    Aliy Zirkle    31    Out of Skwentna    3/5 02:00:00    16 (0)    8.26
20    Matt Hall    15    Out of Skwentna    3/5 02:02:00    16 (0)    4.25
21    Scott Janssen    23    In to Skwentna    3/4 22:09:00    16    9.23
22    Charley Bejna    38    In to Skwentna    3/4 22:25:00    16    9.42
23    Jim Lanier    32    In to Skwentna    3/4 22:42:00    16    8.41
24    Ramey Smyth    21    In to Skwentna    3/4 22:45:00    16    8.04
25    Michi Konno    63    In to Skwentna    3/4 23:13:00    16    9.33
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🐕 Iditarod Musher Profile: Dee Dee Jonrowe
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2018, 05:56:14 AM »
This is Dee Dee's last Iditarod.  She has run 37 of them.  In her kennel, she has given life to more Dogs than anyone else here on the Last Great Frontier.  We owe a great debt of gratitude to Dee Dee Jonrowe.  Without her and others like her, in the future when the Oil goes bye-bye, we would have no dogs to pick up the slack.

http://iditarod.com/race/2018/mushers/95-DeeDee-Jonrowe/
Musher Details
2018 Iditarod » Mushers » DeeDee Jonrowe

DeeDee Jonrowe
Bib Number: 39
Hometown: Willow, Alaska

Biography

DeeDee Jonrowe, 64, was born in Frankfort, Germany, while her father was in the military. The family moved to Alaska in 1971 where her dad was stationed at Ft. Richardson. DeeDee has a B.S. degree in Biological Sciences and Renewable Resources and now lists her occupation as kennel owner and public speaker. She began mushing in 1979 when she was living in Bethel and her mother was excited about volunteering in the early Iditarod races. (Peg Stout attended every Iditarod start before she passed away in July of 2015, except in 1974 when her husband was stationed Outside.) DeeDee says, “This will be my 36th Iditarod start, 16 finishes in the top 10. In three decades I have seen our event mature in many ways as has the state of Alaska. I am committed to using the things I have learned to improve the lives and conditions of all working dogs, the people of rural Alaska, especially young people searching for a meaningful life and our precious elders who have so much to teach us. God has blessed me with the health and circumstances to participate in this celebration of the bond—dogs with man, together opening the unknown. I am truly blessed.” Deedee goes on to say, “When challenged with the Sockeye fire, I had very little time to evacuate. Instinctively, I grabbed the most important things in my life, my dogs. Besides a few guns, we lost everything we have ever owned, all our records. We only saved our dogs. That is the deepest value I placed on them. This will be my final Iditarod. I will continue to train and even race shorter races. I want to thank all the villagers and volunteers that have made it possible to be on the trail since 1980. I was race judge in 1985 and flew out on the trail in 1982 to encourage racers. The only year I was not involved in any way was 1986. I am relieved that I have made this decision. It feels right for myself and for Mike. I will not raise pups nor are there any dogs for sale. I will age them out as the precious family they are. The 1st and only concern I had when faced with losing everything. I want to give back.” DeeDee is a member of the Big Lake Baptist Church and Wasilla Sunrise Rotary. She says her hobbies and interests include “training Labrador Retrievers, raising hobby chickens, and loving her Pekingese.” DeeDee is married to Mike, secretary of the Iditarod’s Board of Directors.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f0hxHuIcAMY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/f0hxHuIcAMY</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2018, 06:34:13 AM »
You clearly are clueless about mushing.  ::)  Of COURSE they do drug testing!

I am not clueless about mushing. I have read the Wikipedia article, same as you.
I was talking about Secretariat winning by 31 lengths.
I know they have drug-testing in horse-racing too, and I know it is gamed (surprise, surprise!).
The US tests are the weakest in the world, due to bribery and corruption.
Why wouldn't there be bribery and corruption in Iditarod too?

Oh, look at this! :
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/03/03/iditarod-dog-race-plagued-by-cruelty-allegations-infighting-and-a-doping-scandal/

The race began drug testing dogs in 1994, and it had a clean record until the end of last year’s race, when four of Seavey’s dogs tested positive for tramadol, an opioid pain reliever.

Seavey was not punished. At the time, the Iditarod’s rules stated that the race had to prove a musher gave dogs a banned substance. The board changed the rules in October, placing the burden of proof on the mushers. Seavey withdrew from this year’s race, deciding instead to compete this month in the Finnmarksløpet, Norway’s 750-mile answer to the Iditarod.

But Medred said that although he thinks the Iditarod can outlast this period, he is not so confident it will evolve or grow its audience. And he sees risks. Four dogs died during last year’s race, the most since 2009, and Medred said he believes “all hell would break loose” if there are multiple deaths this year.

“Everyone’s happy to believe that bad things won’t happen. But I’ll tell you, every [Iditarod] vet I know thinks bad things could happen,” Medred said. More generally, he added, “Everywhere the Iditarod turns, it has a problem.”

Next you'll be telling me that there is no drug-taking in cycling and that Lance Armstrong was clean.

All sport is a racket, and none of the mushers is breeding dogs to supply Alaskans with transport after the collapse - they are doing it to WIN MONEY.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2018, 06:45:43 AM »
Next you'll be telling me that there is no drug-taking in cycling and that Lance Armstrong was clean.

All sport is a racket, and none of the mushers is breeding dogs to supply Alaskans with transport after the collapse - they are doing it to WIN MONEY.

Of course there are cheaters.  That's why you HAVE drug testing!  ::)  Dallas Seavey's testing turned out to be mostly false postives.  He may have been guilty of doping the dogs.  None of the rest of the mushers in the race that year had positive results for drugs though.  That is 1 out of around 65 mushers and around 1000 dogs.

There is not much money in mushing.  If you can make the Top 10, you might cover the costs for raising your dogs.  It takes 16 dogs to pull a sled, and you need more than that to see who is in good enough shape to pull the sled for a given race.  Cost in food is enormous, then you gotta have enough land and space to keep all those dogs, then you gotta have time to train them.  It's a HUGE money sink for just about everybody who does it, worse than boats.

If you read back on the history of the race, you will find that the reason it got started was to save the breed.  Without the race, the Alaskan Sled Dog would have been long gone by now.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2018, 07:09:53 AM »
Dallas Seavey's testing turned out to be mostly false postives.

If you believe that you will believe anything.

I've seen the photographs of the sled dog farms with all the dogs on short chains, wearing circles in the dirt while they frantically bark at each other.  Nobody would keep their dogs like that if they loved them.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2018, 07:16:41 AM »
Dallas Seavey's testing turned out to be mostly false postives.

If you believe that you will believe anything.

I've seen the photographs of the sled dog farms with all the dogs on short chains, wearing circles in the dirt while they frantically bark at each other.  Nobody would keep their dogs like that if they loved them.

Hello.  ::) I don't need to see pics, I fucking LIVE in Alaska.  I KNOW mushers up here!  Or at least I used to before I became a cripple.  These folks love their dogs, and they treat them like they were their own kids.  In fact usually BETTER than their kids, since they give them more time and attention.  lol.

Look, you can be the EXPERT on Pythons and the Tropical Rainforest here.  You are NOT the expert on Alaska and Mushing Dogs.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN