Poll

Iditarod & Dog Mushing Poll

AuthorTopic: 🐕 The Iditarod: The Ultimate test of the Homo Sap-Canine Partnership  (Read 10300 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: 🐕 The Iditarod: The Ultimate test of the Homo Sap-Canine Partnership
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2018, 05:39:43 PM »
Here is an excellent video from this year's Yukon Quest Trail race which ran off in February.  It's another edition of the Iditarod.  Right from the beginning, you'll see how much it COSTS to even participate in the race with all the dogs and hardware you need for it.  Then there is the setup of all the rest stops and getting all the food to those places (done by snow machine mostly of course). Also, just about everyone volunteers to staff these races, they aren't paid anything at all.  The prize money for the top 5 is pretty modest, I doubt they cover expenses.

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/erLHPHheR94" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/erLHPHheR94</a>
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:07:35 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2018, 05:42:27 PM »
This is a very good life for a dog.

Is it? To NEVER be off the chain, or out of its own shit and piss.  Your photo is idyllic, but in winter with two foot of snow on the ground, water bowl frozen, freezing wind blowing, it wouldn't be idyllic. If they don't run properly, they are shot, because they are only wanted if they help win races.

And yet you don't see any of this, only the idyllic side of it.  The realists you call "fucking imbeciles" and won't discuss compromising on cruelty with them.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2018, 05:56:28 PM »
This is a very good life for a dog.

Is it? To NEVER be off the chain, or out of its own shit and piss.  Your photo is idyllic, but in winter with two foot of snow on the ground, water bowl frozen, freezing wind blowing, it wouldn't be idyllic. If they don't run properly, they are shot, because they are only wanted if they help win races.

And yet you don't see any of this, only the idyllic side of it.  The realists you call "fucking imbeciles" and won't discuss compromising on cruelty with them.

The mushers clean the shit and piss up while they feed the dogs.  Domesticated dogs wouldn't last at all up here without humans to care for them.  The dogs wouldn't last for next race season if the humans weren't providing them food, water, shelter and cleaning up their shit and piss.  How long would your chooks last in their coop where they are caged if you did not care for them before chopping off their heads and eating them for dinner?

RE
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:59:13 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
The mushers clean the shit and piss up while they feed the dogs.

So, once a day then, leaving them in today's shit and piss all the time.

How long would your chooks last in their coop where they are caged

My chooks are let out at 7am, fed on grains, free range all day, fed on grains at 5:40pm and locked up at 6:10 in the evening.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »
The mushers clean the shit and piss up while they feed the dogs.

So, once a day then, leaving them in today's shit and piss all the time.

How long would your chooks last in their coop where they are caged

My chooks are let out at 7am, fed on grains, free range all day, fed on grains at 5:40pm and locked up at 6:10 in the evening.

Your chooks are still caged animals which provide food for you, and then you mercilessly slaughter them when you are hungry.

Look, we domesticated some animals as a food source, and others as helpers.  You quoted me a figure of 4 dogs who bought their ticket to the Great Beyond in the last Iditarod.  That is out of over 1000 dogs who ran the race, so it's less than .4%.  How many Chooks, Dogs and Cats have you lost to Pythons, Tropical Diseases and simply wandering off while you weren't looking?  Not to mention killing them yourself for a dinner meal.  I will bet the percentage is far greater than .4%.  As a steward of animals go, you don't hold a candle to the mushers.  They devote their lives to these dogs.

In addition, you want to see us get off the Oil Jones.  Without the Horses, Oxen and Dogs, we won't survive.  We NEED these animals as helpers.  We give them life, and they give us life.  It is a PARTNERSHIP.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2018, 07:08:39 PM »
I haven't killed (mercilessly or otherwise) ANY hens, ever.  All deaths have been natural, which is as it should be.  A young chick was knocked over by the hens at food time recently.  I brought it in and kept it in my shirt for an hour, then put it back with its mother in a small cage, but it was dead in the morning.

Another article I have read says 157 dogs have died on Iditarod since it started.  I'm sure it is properly detailed somewhere.  No details on collapsed/injured numbers, or how they are disposed of.  If they trip and fall in harness in the race, what happens? - I guess they are dragged along by the neck until the musher stops, and then what?  There's loads of things like that you, as an ALASKAN, must know but are not telling us because it would spoil the "splendour" of the event.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2018, 07:15:59 PM »
I haven't killed (mercilessly or otherwise) ANY hens, ever.  All deaths have been natural, which is as it should be.  A young chick was knocked over by the hens at food time recently.  I brought it in and kept it in my shirt for an hour, then put it back with its mother in a small cage, but it was dead in the morning.

Another article I have read says 157 dogs have died on Iditarod since it started.  I'm sure it is properly detailed somewhere.  No details on collapsed/injured numbers, or how they are disposed of.  If they trip and fall in harness in the race, what happens? - I guess they are dragged along by the neck until the musher stops, and then what?  There's loads of things like that you, as an ALASKAN, must know but are not telling us because it would spoil the "splendour" of the event.

You don't eat chickens?  If you don't kill your own, somebody somewhere is killing them for you.  Also somebody in Thailand is canning the poisoned Tuna Fish you eat too!  You don't care about the lives of the Tuna?

157 dogs dead in close to 50 years of the Iditarod is an average of 3 a year.  This is out of more than 1000 dogs who run the race now, so .3% more or less, although the numbers were fewer in the early years so it's not an exact figure by any means.

As to what happens to dogs that get hurt on the trail, why don't you watch the last vid I put up?  There are Vets at the checkpoints, and they determine whether the dog can continue or not.  Mushers are VERY concerned about their dogs, and they don't push them until they drop, except for a VERY few assholes, who are drummed out of the sport.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2018, 09:55:07 PM »
Palloy thanks for your reply, it has become obvious from both your reply and your conversation with RE on the subject, that the both of you have forgotten more about dogs than I will ever know. Guess I watched to many Lassie TV shows when a child.
Respectfully pulling out of this one and becoming a reader only. Just wanted to acknowledge you reply. 

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 10:30:26 PM by Golden Oxen »

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2018, 10:37:12 PM »
You don't eat chickens?

I have only eaten hens that died of natural causes.  I kill the excess roosters (humanely) and feed them to the dog and cat.
I eat canned tuna, but no longer from Thailand.  Anyway this is all your finger-pointing to draw the attention away from your precious mushers and their dastardly deeds and your pathetic arguments.

As I said before, my compliant is with your dismissal of animal rights activists as ignorant, and your firm belief in what the bent mushers and bent officials say.  You even admit to SOME of them being bent, but believe the others are clean.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2018, 01:00:21 AM »
You don't eat chickens?

I have only eaten hens that died of natural causes.  I kill the excess roosters (humanely) and feed them to the dog and cat.
I eat canned tuna, but no longer from Thailand.  Anyway this is all your finger-pointing to draw the attention away from your precious mushers and their dastardly deeds and your pathetic arguments.

As I said before, my compliant is with your dismissal of animal rights activists as ignorant, and your firm belief in what the bent mushers and bent officials say.  You even admit to SOME of them being bent, but believe the others are clean.

You have eaten cans of Tuna Fish from Tuna that didn't die from natural causes.  What about your cats and dogs?  How many of them have died because you don't protect them from Pythons?  They're not native to the Tropical Rainforest, you're responsible for those deaths.

Did you even watch the video of the Yukon Quest race?  You have such a warped view of what goes on with mushing it is beyond belief.  Go back to something you know something about like Pythons.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2018, 01:01:31 AM »
Palloy thanks for your reply, it has become obvious from both your reply and your conversation with RE on the subject, that the both of you have forgotten more about dogs than I will ever know. Guess I watched to many Lassie TV shows when a child.
Respectfully pulling out of this one and becoming a reader only. Just wanted to acknowledge you reply. 

You know about Horses and Horse racing.  Same thing.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2018, 02:03:27 AM »
The Redington boys and Mitch Seavey are now in the top 3.  They are all from Mushing Families.  The Berington Twins are dropping back.  :(

RACE STANDINGS
POS    MUSHER    BIB    CHKPNT    TIME    DOGS    AVG SPEED
1    Ryan Redington    7    Out of Rohn    3/5 19:08:00    14 (1)    8.75
2    Mitch Seavey    13    Out of Rohn    3/5 19:27:00    14 (0)    9.38
3    Ray Redington Jr    17    Out of Rohn    3/5 19:36:00    16 (0)    8.61
4    Joar Leifseth Ulsom    33    Out of Rohn    3/5 19:42:00    16 (0)    8.75
5    Jessie Royer    36    Out of Rohn    3/5 20:14:00    15 (0)    8.64
6    Aliy Zirkle    31    Out of Rohn    3/5 20:35:00    16 (0)    8.02
7    Richie Diehl    29    Out of Rohn    3/5 22:01:00    16 (0)    4.25
8    Ketil Reitan    54    Out of Rohn    3/5 22:04:00    15 (0)    8.37
9    Michelle Phillips    18    Out of Rohn    3/5 22:24:00    15 (0)    8.24
10    Ramey Smyth    21    Out of Rohn    3/5 22:49:00    16 (1)    7.87
11    Rick Casillo    9    Out of Rohn    3/5 23:04:00    14 (0)    8.61
12    Jessie Holmes    41    Out of Rohn    3/5 23:29:00    16 (0)    4.29
13    Peter Kaiser    30    Out of Rohn    3/6 00:16:00    15 (0)    8.61
14    Aaron Burmeister    64    Out of Rohn    3/6 00:18:00    16 (0)    8.43
15    Wade Marrs    11    In to Rohn    3/5 18:45:00    15    8.97
16    Nicolas Petit    46    In to Rohn    3/5 19:04:00    16    8.97
17    Linwood Fiedler    8    In to Rohn    3/5 20:13:00    15    8.64
18    Mats Pettersson    3    In to Rohn    3/5 21:05:00    16    8.40
19    Hugh Neff    68    In to Rohn    3/5 21:10:00    15    8.08
20    Cody Strathe    2    In to Rohn    3/5 21:12:00    16    8.97
21    Kelly Maixner    52    In to Rohn    3/5 21:22:00    16    8.50
22    Lars Monsen    61    In to Rohn    3/5 21:27:00    15    8.30
23    Robert Redington    34    In to Rohn    3/5 21:38:00    16    7.81
24    Travis Beals    60    In to Rohn    3/5 22:34:00    15    8.33
25    Bradley Farquhar    65    In to Rohn    3/5 22:46:00    14    7.95

Here is a vid about pre-race dog care for the Iditarod.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZZUMhRiPTd4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZZUMhRiPTd4</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2018, 03:07:13 AM »
This video is about how Mushers care for their Dogs and the bond that develops over years between the Musher and his/her dogs.  Featured in the video are Martin Buser and DeeDee Jonrowe, a couple of the most experienced mushers who run the Iditarod.  It's a promotional video for Eagle Pack Dog Food, which is one of the folks who sponsor the top mushers.

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kKbl57rsuc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5kKbl57rsuc</a>
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 03:15:07 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2018, 06:20:08 AM »
Did you even watch the video of the Yukon Quest race?  You have such a warped view of what goes on with mushing it is beyond belief.

Yes, I watched it.  The big question is what was in it that I had to see?  How they made things comfortable for the dogs by throwing some straw on the ground.  Those traveling boxes on the support trucks would have anybody arrested for cruelty in any other country I know.  That was appalling. In fact that would confirm for anybody that  Iditarod ought to be stopped now. 

And you want to make a case that I am responsible for somebody killing a tuna and putting it in a can.  Presumably because it means people are allowed to race through a frozen wilderness even though if a dog gets injured there is no possible help for it.  You are insane and seriously twisted.  You have such a warped view of what goes on with mushing it is beyond belief.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2018, 06:32:54 AM »
Did you even watch the video of the Yukon Quest race?  You have such a warped view of what goes on with mushing it is beyond belief.

Yes, I watched it.  The big question is what was in it that I had to see?  How they made things comfortable for the dogs by throwing some straw on the ground.  Those traveling boxes on the support trucks would have anybody arrested for cruelty in any other country I know.  That was appalling. In fact that would confirm for anybody that  Iditarod ought to be stopped now. 

And you want to make a case that I am responsible for somebody killing a tuna and putting it in a can.  Presumably because it means people are allowed to race through a frozen wilderness even though if a dog gets injured there is no possible help for it.  You are insane and seriously twisted.  You have such a warped view of what goes on with mushing it is beyond belief.

You are the one who is insane and twisted.  People travel in people size boxes called cars all the time.  Also people size seats on airplanes.  The dogs are transported for a few hours in these boxes, which are plenty big enough and comfortable enough with fresh straw laid down on them for the dogs to stay warm for a few hours.  Their dog houses they live in most of the time are plenty big enough also, any bigger they don't retain enough body heat to last through  -30F days in the winter.  Bedding is changed daily, sometimes twice a day.

You know nothing about this, nothing about survival in the deep cold of the far north.  You live in the Tropical Rainforest.  Stick to what you know.  You are making a fool of yourself in this debate.

RE
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:35:35 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can