AuthorTopic: The Korea thread  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Korea thread
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
There appears to be a market niche still available for some smart and nimble entrepreneur to market action figures of all Trumps ex'es.

Collect the whole set, or mix and match.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2018, 03:32:26 PM »
Very funny.  ;D .  Is anyone bothered about what is actually going to happen now?

North Korean Vice Minister Choe Son-hui says "Whether the U.S. will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behavior of the United States", (like the latest war games).

Trump says “You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used”.

If Xi understands how the western media works and confirms what Global Times has already said, "If the US and South Korea carry out strikes and try to overthrow the North Korean regime and change the political pattern of the Korean Peninsula, China will prevent them from doing so."

How can that situation work out without nukes going off?

But let's not be so serious - lets have another joke.   ;D ;D ;D :icon_sunny:

"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
Very funny.  ;D .  Is anyone bothered about what is actually going to happen now?

North Korean Vice Minister Choe Son-hui says "Whether the U.S. will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behavior of the United States", (like the latest war games).

Trump says “You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used”.

If Xi understands how the western media works and confirms what Global Times has already said, "If the US and South Korea carry out strikes and try to overthrow the North Korean regime and change the political pattern of the Korean Peninsula, China will prevent them from doing so."

How can that situation work out without nukes going off?

And just who the fuck do you think you are, you sanctimonious cockroach-cultivator?

What's the over/under on nuclear war in Korea by Memorial Day? Labor Day?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

Here you go, little buddy. Have another coin.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2018, 06:36:56 PM »
Surly: And just who the fuck do you think you are, you sanctimonious cockroach-cultivator?

Some people just don't like being shown to be wrong.  We are at the most dangerous time since the Cuban crisis, and with an unpredictable snake-oil salesman in the WH, and all DD has to talk about is jokes.  Anyone being serious is given the above insults.  Clearly the CoC are not going to be obeyed, even after you criticised RE over that very thing.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
Surly: And just who the fuck do you think you are, you sanctimonious cockroach-cultivator?

Some people just don't like being shown to be wrong.  We are at the most dangerous time since the Cuban crisis, and with an unpredictable snake-oil salesman in the WH, and all DD has to talk about is jokes.  Anyone being serious is given the above insults.  Clearly the CoC are not going to be obeyed, even after you criticised RE over that very thing.

You think everyone here is blind or stupid? That you, and you alone are the arbiter of acceptable behavior? Or that others don't appreciate a little gallows humor at this time of existential dread?

I jumped on RE because it seemed he was furiously picking a fight with you. In this case, YOU. are attempting to pick a fight with ME. Big fucking difference.

With RE in extremis, excuse the fuck out of me if I've not a mind to tolerate your moods.

Sanctimony is exactly the word. Back off.

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2018, 07:37:05 PM »
Surly: I jumped on RE because it seemed he was furiously picking a fight with you. In this case, YOU. are attempting to pick a fight with ME.

No, I'm NOT attacking you, I just want to get someone, anyone on DD, to take this seriously and not make jokes about it.  My reasonable request for more discussion has been met with a hail of jokes and toxic insults.  The only person who made anything resembling a serious comment was RE saying "WW3 won't happen because it is not in US's interest", which is monumentally stupid and non-serious, designed as you say to pick a fight with me.

You think everyone here is blind or stupid?

Demonstrate you are not. Spare me the "a little gallows humor at this time of existential dread" get-out clause.

"What was it like in the lead up to WW3, Grandpa?"
"Oh, we just told each other jokes, you know, like you do when you don't want to think about something serious."
"Didn't you think it would happen ?"
"Well, some did and some didn't, but mostly you couldn't tell because there were only jokes to go on.  And then we woke up one morning and the power was out, and the radio didn't come on, and then we realised that WW3 had started."

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2018, 08:09:09 PM »
Surly: I jumped on RE because it seemed he was furiously picking a fight with you. In this case, YOU. are attempting to pick a fight with ME.

No, I'm NOT attacking you, I just want to get someone, anyone on DD, to take this seriously and not make jokes about it.  My reasonable request for more discussion has been met with a hail of jokes and toxic insults.  The only person who made anything resembling a serious comment was RE saying "WW3 won't happen because it is not in US's interest", which is monumentally stupid and non-serious, designed as you say to pick a fight with me.
I feel for you, Palloy, I know what it is like for no one to take you seriously.

I also agree with you that, save a few technical glitches, this situation is one of the most dangerous we have faced.

I don't see what we can do as individuals to prevent it.  All I can see to do as an individual is to prepare for it.  And as an individual, starting out a post-WW3 era with lung cancer, I do not see a significant life expectancy for myself.  So, I don't see much point personally in worrying about it, just enjoying what little time I have left.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »
Actually, Palloy, I have come back here for mainly that reason. That I find it intolerable that no one is taking the threat of nuclear war seriously. Nor any of the other horror, such as Gaza. You may recall that we had a private conversation some years back in which I was trying to show how little I thought of the sincerity and honesty of certain people here. But you got all tangled up in paranoia about whether the conversation was really secure and so I dropped it. Now you seem to be waking up. Let me just say that at Christmas of 2014 I made a post about jawboning. Probably more than one. They don't like it. They don't want any criticism at all. They really care only about the site continuing but not about the state of affairs which are continually becoming more dire. They probably will refuse to post this and say I am being what? You name it. But just don't expect to get anywhere with your pleas. Do you get it yet?

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2018, 09:37:47 PM »
Well have you discovered anywhere where there are real doomers? We don't actually have to fix it, just understand it, and maybe speak out against it.  I would imagine that any website wanting to discuss this subject would do it in private, maybe on the dark net, and I would be happy to get involved in that.  Derrick Jensen's Forum sounds like it should be a "front" community which you play around in till someone invites you into the real hidden community, but I have not yet been invited.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2018, 10:19:16 PM »
Well have you discovered anywhere where there are real doomers? We don't actually have to fix it, just understand it, and maybe speak out against it.  I would imagine that any website wanting to discuss this subject would do it in private, maybe on the dark net, and I would be happy to get involved in that.  Derrick Jensen's Forum sounds like it should be a "front" community which you play around in till someone invites you into the real hidden community, but I have not yet been invited.
LOL... been there, done that... not Derrick Jensen, mind you, but the secret, invitation-only collapse discussion group... so long ago I haven't the foggiest idea what the name was.  At least 15 years since it folded up.

I think "doomer community" is a bit of an oxymoron.  Every collapse-aware group seems to break apart or turn into a hospice operation -- whether morose like Nature Bats Last or congenial like the Doomstead Diner.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2018, 03:22:55 AM »

I think "doomer community" is a bit of an oxymoron.  Every collapse-aware group seems to break apart or turn into a hospice operation -- whether morose like Nature Bats Last or congenial like the Doomstead Diner.

Well said. New motto: "Palliative care until TSHTF."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2018, 03:45:06 AM »

No, I'm NOT attacking you, I just want to get someone, anyone on DD, to take this seriously and not make jokes about it.  My reasonable request for more discussion has been met with a hail of jokes and toxic insults. 

This trope is both dishonest and insane. If you don't thin k that people take the threats seriously, you monumentally underestimate the posters here. Which to you seeks like feature, not a bug.

The only person who made anything resembling a serious comment was RE saying "WW3 won't happen because it is not in US's interest", which is monumentally stupid and non-serious.

"WW3 won't happen because it is not in US's interest" might be an accurate statement, actually, if sane people were in charge. But they are not. The American public has, at long last, gotten the war n' torture government it has worked for for so long. Who WW3 will serve is the Christian Dominionists, who herald the coming Armageddon as the necessary precursor for Christ's glorious return.Moving the US embassy to Jerusalem is a major step in touching a lit match to that powder keg.

And what has that to do with Korea, you ask? The same people are in charge, and this is just another stressor. John Mustache got Trump to set aside his dreams of eclipsing-Obama Nobel glory to scuttle the talks, which just might have broken out in peace.  The greatest likelihood of a war in Korea comes from domestic politics. If the pressure gets to high, a war somewhere-- anywhere-- will in Trump's lizard brain, "unify the country." Making opposition treasonable, which will, in the fullness of time, be an act resulting in deportation by the soon-to-come Nationality Courts, where a tenuous white nationalist minority gets to pick and choose not only its voters, but now its citizens.

When you read about the sunup to the Weimar enabling acts of 1933, you realize just how tenuous a thread we hang by.

And look ma, no cartoons.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2018, 04:21:57 AM »

Baloney, internet communities fail due to the intolerance of fresh ideas and speech control, either by an ideologue admin or the gang that takes over who will not tolerate a stranger on their turf.

The Diner was a thriving dynamic community of elderly, middle aged, and youth, Very very smart and some very stupid. Nice people and mean people, a marvelous maze of thoughts and personalities.

You all know what happened, you let it, willingly and in total agreement. Enjoy.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2018, 04:26:22 AM »

Baloney, internet communities fail due to the intolerance of fresh ideas and speech control, either by an ideologue admin or the gang that takes over who will not tolerate a stranger on their turf.

The Diner was a thriving dynamic community of elderly, middle aged, and youth, Very very smart and some very stupid. Nice people and mean people, a marvelous maze of thoughts and personalities.

You all know what happened, you let it, willingly and in total agreement. Enjoy.

Feel free to step back up and contribute something positive to advance a discussion at any time.
Criticism of the color of the wallpaper is NOT helpful.