AuthorTopic: The Korea thread  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Korea thread
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2018, 04:38:06 AM »
Surly: I jumped on RE because it seemed he was furiously picking a fight with you. In this case, YOU. are attempting to pick a fight with ME.

No, I'm NOT attacking you, I just want to get someone, anyone on DD, to take this seriously and not make jokes about it.  My reasonable request for more discussion has been met with a hail of jokes and toxic insults.  The only person who made anything resembling a serious comment was RE saying "WW3 won't happen because it is not in US's interest", which is monumentally stupid and non-serious, designed as you say to pick a fight with me.
I feel for you, Palloy, I know what it is like for no one to take you seriously.

I also agree with you that, save a few technical glitches, this situation is one of the most dangerous we have faced.

I don't see what we can do as individuals to prevent it.  All I can see to do as an individual is to prepare for it.  And as an individual, starting out a post-WW3 era with lung cancer, I do not see a significant life expectancy for myself.  So, I don't see much point personally in worrying about it, just enjoying what little time I have left.

Palloy is taken very seriously by me JD. A most brilliant mind and purposeful individual. Everyone of his postings has relevance and is of import to at least me.

His fault is in trying to control others or suggesting that they all be like him. It's a trait most have on the left. It's okay with me as long as they talk about it and don't try and enforce it.

Nuclear war and potential war by these crazy psychotic pricks ruling over us is something I care about have resigned myself to my personal idea, that there is nothing I can do about it, so I post very little about it.

I do feel I might be able to do a small part by coaxing my fellow doomer's into buying some gold or silver, which I believe are important and can be done by most as protection from many, not all, of Doomers possible problems, so I write about my ideas.

People like Palloy or others should try and understand we are all different and can contribute in many ways. We can post songs we like and art works to as a way to express ourselves and who we are and hope others will do the same. To me it's merely friendship and community, not demeaning to others or the title of our community.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2018, 04:44:25 AM »

I think "doomer community" is a bit of an oxymoron.  Every collapse-aware group seems to break apart or turn into a hospice operation -- whether morose like Nature Bats Last or congenial like the Doomstead Diner.

Well said. New motto: "Palliative care until TSHTF."

Baloney, internet communities fail due to the intolerance of fresh ideas and speech control, either by an ideologue admin or the gang that takes over who will not tolerate a stranger on their turf.

The Diner was a thriving dynamic community of elderly, middle aged, and youth, Very very smart and some very stupid. Nice people and mean people, a marvelous maze of thoughts and personalities.

You all know what happened, you let it, willingly and in total agreement. Enjoy.

Feel free to step back up and contribute something positive to advance a discussion at any time.
Criticism of the color of the wallpaper is NOT helpful.

Thanks for your input and invitation Surly.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2018, 05:27:44 AM »
Actually, Palloy, I have come back here for mainly that reason. That I find it intolerable that no one is taking the threat of nuclear war seriously.

Not being sarcastic K, just puzzled. What does moving have to do with fearing nuclear war?

Isn't that akin to hiding in a closet of a house that's on fire?  :icon_scratch:

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2018, 05:36:58 AM »
Surly: I jumped on RE because it seemed he was furiously picking a fight with you. In this case, YOU. are attempting to pick a fight with ME.

No, I'm NOT attacking you, I just want to get someone, anyone on DD, to take this seriously and not make jokes about it.  My reasonable request for more discussion has been met with a hail of jokes and toxic insults.  The only person who made anything resembling a serious comment was RE saying "WW3 won't happen because it is not in US's interest", which is monumentally stupid and non-serious, designed as you say to pick a fight with me.
I feel for you, Palloy, I know what it is like for no one to take you seriously.

I also agree with you that, save a few technical glitches, this situation is one of the most dangerous we have faced.

I don't see what we can do as individuals to prevent it.  All I can see to do as an individual is to prepare for it.  And as an individual, starting out a post-WW3 era with lung cancer, I do not see a significant life expectancy for myself.  So, I don't see much point personally in worrying about it, just enjoying what little time I have left.

Palloy is taken very seriously by me JD. A most brilliant mind and purposeful individual. Everyone of his postings has relevance and is of import to at least me.

His fault is in trying to control others or suggesting that they all be like him. It's a trait most have on the left. It's okay with me as long as they talk about it and don't try and enforce it.

Nuclear war and potential war by these crazy psychotic pricks ruling over us is something I care about have resigned myself to my personal idea, that there is nothing I can do about it, so I post very little about it.

I do feel I might be able to do a small part by coaxing my fellow doomer's into buying some gold or silver, which I believe are important and can be done by most as protection from many, not all, of Doomers possible problems, so I write about my ideas.

People like Palloy or others should try and understand we are all different and can contribute in many ways. We can post songs we like and art works to as a way to express ourselves and who we are and hope others will do the same. To me it's merely friendship and community, not demeaning to others or the title of our community.

Pretty much exactly what I felt like saying here. I live my life by certain principles. One of those is to not waste energy on things completely beyond my control, as described by what some people call the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

What is it that people would discuss in secret on the dark web that would impact events more than our discussions in plain sight?

Maybe it would allow some people to talk about their monkeywrenching fantasies in which they act out against TPTB, and make all kinds of meaningless noises about revolution and printing leaflets and pamphlets to educate people who can no longer concentrate well enough to understand anything with more than 140 characters.

Maybe they could dream up massive protests with thousands in the streets insisting on positive changes in foreign policy and energy policy and housing policy and climate change policy and all the other things that are so fucked up in the world. (But don't hold your breath waiting.)

Maybe you could even work some dumbass up enough to get him to commit some illegal act, maybe commit violence. I wonder if that is your intent.

Don't mistake a lack of high anxiety for a lack of concern. It's just that I've had this threat of getting nuked as an existential threat for so very long now, more than 50 years. I came to terms with it a long time ago. Getting excited does nothing. Instead I stockpile food and water and drugs and batteries, and I have iodine and a geiger counter and a respirator. You do what makes you feel better. I'm about as ready as I can get.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2018, 06:12:33 AM »

Pretty much exactly what I felt like saying here. I live my life by certain principles. One of those is to not waste energy on things completely beyond my control, as described by what some people call the Serenity Prayer.

God grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

What is it that people would discuss in secret on the dark web that would impact events more than our discussions in plain sight?

Maybe it would allow some people to talk about their monkeywrenching fantasies in which they act out against TPTB, and make all kinds of meaningless noises about revolution and printing leaflets and pamphlets to educate people who can no longer concentrate well enough to understand anything with more than 140 characters.

Maybe they could dream up massive protests with thousands in the streets insisting on positive changes in foreign policy and energy policy and housing policy and climate change policy and all the other things that are so fucked up in the world. (But don't hold your breath waiting.)

Maybe you could even work some dumbass up enough to get him to commit some illegal act, maybe commit violence. I wonder if that is your intent.

Don't mistake a lack of high anxiety for a lack of concern.

Thanks for posting this, and putting it better than I could.

We tend to forget that the sense that this fragile and limited planet (or more precisely, the virus inhabiting it) is under thread from so many different vectors, all at the same time. It is this awareness that has led each of us to seek our forums like this. A decent respect for other people would seem to indicate that perhaps we should tread lightly in terms of rendering summary judgment.

But then, I dream.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2018, 06:41:41 AM »

Great quote Eddie.

Reminds me of something a Jesuit told us in class that always stuck with me.

He was making fun of Dicken's and how he had nothing to say and was an author for children.

Ebenezer Scrooge was the topic as he voiced his opinion that people "Never Change"

Misers don't wake up one day and throw their money on the streets and yell "Merry Christmas Everyone" he told us.

Maturity is learning to accept people for what they are and learn how to try and work with them and understand how and why they are different from you and how to reach a common ground of some understanding he said. Was a kid and asshole at the time and didn't like hearing it, used to believe in Fairy Tales. Still an ass but at least realize now how very smart that priest was.  :-\

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2018, 07:20:54 AM »
Eddie: God grant me the courage to accept the things I cannot change

What a defeatist load of garbage, echoed by Surly and RE (in his cooking video) and now praised by GO.
You are all going to your imminent deaths saying, "I can't do anything to change it." and that I'm the bad guy for trying to get you to act like adults.   

TPTB must be laughing to themselves silly knowing that the US population is so demoralised that they can't even abide to hear an angry voice raised in protest. Eddie has his dark suspicions that I am trying to get you to do the unthinkable - "commit an act of violence".  Yes , I am, in a way.  I don't want to tell you what to do.  But I want you to be so angry that you are not going to take it any more.  Set fire to something, or shoot something, or throw rocks. Just don't say "I can't do anything" like a drugged out zombie.  How happy are your stores of dried food going to make you, while everyone else is dying of hunger?  How happy will God be as he watches you doing your highest duty of looking after yourself and your family, to the exclusion of the rest of society? 

Standing by for the next volley of insults.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2018, 07:38:24 AM »

What a defeatist load of garbage, echoed by Surly and RE (in his cooking video) and now praised by GO.
You are all going to your imminent deaths saying, "I can't do anything to change it." and that I'm the bad guy for trying to get you to act like adults.   

TPTB must be laughing to themselves silly knowing that the US population is so demoralised that they can't even abide to hear an angry voice raised in protest. Eddie has his dark suspicions that I am trying to get you to do the unthinkable - "commit an act of violence".  Yes , I am, in a way.  I don't want to tell you what to do.  But I want you to be so angry that you are not going to take it any more.  Set fire to something, or shoot something, or throw rocks. Just don't say "I can't do anything" like a drugged out zombie.  How happy are your stores of dried food going to make you, while everyone else is dying of hunger?  How happy will God be as he watches you doing your highest duty of looking after yourself and your family, to the exclusion of the rest of society? 

Speaking for myself Palloy, your point both is understandable and acceptable. As I stated you are a different person than me.

I is What I is, mean no harm, and understand how you feel. Just the way it is, Sorry Palloy.  :dontknow:

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »
Just sorry to realize you have no idea that you stand to do more harm than good with your agenda. I don't want to insult you, but I'd like you to see that your actions might have more negative consequences than positive. Especially for anyone who buys into your approach and decides to "take up arms against a sea of troubles", as someone once said.

You're a loose cannon on the internet. Possibly dangerous to other people. Even though you yourself are fairly insulated from the authorities here, who are as serious as a heartbeat in coming down hard on terrorists of any stripe.

You are fairly close to the line with your dark web underground fantasy ideas. All it would take is a few of us talking about some concrete step to do some of what Ted K. would regard as God's work. There are plenty of impressionable people in the world whom you might be able to influence. And that's obviously exactly what you'd like to do.

Be careful about what you say here. Save the revolutionary rhetoric for whatever dark web rabble you can find. None of us wants to be your tool.

I do not regard myself as defeatist. But I damn sure pick my battles, and especially my leaders. You are Don Quixote looking for Sancho Panza. I wouldn't line up behind you at the grocery store.

Is that an insult? It's the truth.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 08:53:59 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
Actually, Palloy, I have come back here for mainly that reason. That I find it intolerable that no one is taking the threat of nuclear war seriously.

Not being sarcastic K, just puzzled. What does moving have to do with fearing nuclear war?

Isn't that akin to hiding in a closet of a house that's on fire?  :icon_scratch:
I am certainly not hiding in a closet, GO. I am avoiding Civil War. I am avoiding being shot or shot at either en masse or singularly. I am avoiding many many extremely distasteful goings on and putrid propaganda there of. I have here a pretty peaceful spot where people mostly share the traditional values I was brought up with. Of course with the US marauding the world conflagration could come anywhere. Some enemies have been expelled from here which is a good thing. I am mostly lying low leading a peaceful life. This is probably not my final destination. As far as Eddies warnings to Palloy I pretty much agree. I have never been for anarchic street violence and disorder nor for plain Jane terrorism even though that is what the US has plainly become. A terrorist state supporting terrorist groups. I do think that reaching people by the Internet and informing them if they are capable of reading which is more and more doubtful, is the best way. BTtW, there are stronger privacy laws in Europe than in the US. And as for patriotism, how can one be genuinely patriotic if ones country, it's majority population and most of its elites have lost all moral compass and sanity. It's time to pray. And I am.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »

I am certainly not hiding in a closet, GO. I am avoiding Civil War. I am avoiding being shot or shot at either en masse or singularly. I am avoiding many many extremely distasteful goings on and putrid propaganda there of. I have here a pretty peaceful spot where people mostly share the traditional values I was brought up with. Of course with the US marauding the world conflagration could come anywhere. Some enemies have been expelled from here which is a good thing. I am mostly lying low leading a peaceful life. This is probably not my final destination. As far as Eddies warnings to Palloy I pretty much agree. I have never been for anarchic street violence and disorder nor for plain Jane terrorism even though that is what the US has plainly become. A terrorist state supporting terrorist groups. I do think that reaching people by the Internet and informing them if they are capable of reading which is more and more doubtful, is the best way. BTtW, there are stronger privacy laws in Europe than in the US. And as for patriotism, how can one be genuinely patriotic if ones country, it's majority population and most of its elites have lost all moral compass and sanity. It's time to pray. And I am.

Quote from: Karpatok
A terrorist state supporting terrorist groups.
//
As for patriotism, how can one be genuinely patriotic if ones country, it's majority population and most of its elites have lost all moral compass and sanity.

KK for the win.

Am personally haunted by the thought that "we" are the bad guys, and that rest of an outraged world will, in the fullness of time, get tired of taking our shit...

We've just elevated Torture Queen Gina Haspel to be head of the CIA, forever putting torture and black site activity out of the reach of whatever "justice" might obtain, although the idea, once written, seems ludicrous.

One of the people that was tortured at the Catís Eye prison in Thailand when Gina Haspel was running it was Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri, who was picked up for suspected involvement in the U.S.S. Cole bombing in 2000. Nashiri was suffocated with water ó waterboarding ó subjected to mock execution with a drill and gun while standing naked and hooded, anal rape through rectal feeding, threatened that his mother would be sexually assaulted, lifted off the ground by arms while they were bound behind his back after which a medical officer opined that shoulders might be dislocated.

At Haspel's confirmation hearing, no Senator asked about these so-called unauthorized techniques ó everyone was focused on the technicality of legal memos, and no one talked about all of the other things beyond waterboarding thatís done to these prisoners. The focus was on waterboarding, as if that was the sum of all cruel things. It is clearly not.

And the vast majority of Americans don't know or care. Hey, what are you trying to do? Fuck up a holiday weekend?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2018, 11:10:34 AM »

Each to his own.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Misunderstood Karpatok.

Thought you were trying to hide from the big fire crackers going off.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2018, 02:35:22 PM »
Misunderstood Karpatok.

Thought you were trying to hide from the big fire crackers going off.
I haven't a clue about what you mean. What big fire crackers going off? What's all this allusion to hiding? And why are you draped in braggadocio anonymity? What are You hiding? What are you hiding from?

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2018, 03:29:37 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwMVMbmQBug" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZwMVMbmQBug</a>

JUST DO SOMETHING ONCE BEFORE YOU DIE. 
Get angry.  Fight back, although the situation is hopeless. Take a risk. Die on your feet, not on your knees. Are you a man or a mouse?

"Oooooh, God wouldn't want me to do that, he would want me to keep working and paying my taxes, he would want me to eat my dried beans and be proud I had protected my family from the nuclear war, and accept my fate!"

Pathetic zombies.
"The State is a body of armed men."