AuthorTopic: What are we supposed to do while we wait for the collapse to happen ?  (Read 1971 times)

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
Re: What are we supposed to do while we wait for the collapse to happen ?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 06:05:25 AM »
Redditors: collapse is twenty years away, so keep on working and partying

Not unlike some Diners.  The nasty problems are always far enough away that you don't have to worry about them now.  You can always tell your grandkids that you didn't do anything because the timing of the collapse took you by surprise.

Or they could say they didn't have a retirement check coming in every month to pay the rent on a McShack in the Tropical Rainforest so they could play Robinson Crusoe while exterminating cockroaches with industrially produced poisons and saving the Pythons in the neighborhood while sneering at everyone else with the practical problem of making enough money to survive in Industrial Civilization.

RE
Bingo... If you are younger with dependants still depending on you you must have a foot in both BAU and collapse if you want any collapse presence at all. I know many who fully gave up BAU but only a half handful who have come close to making it ;most burn out. I play a long game I make no apologies about that.  My life could stretch another 30 years. It gets a little rich sometimes being told how I should prepare for collapse by seasoned doomers whose horizon has shrunk to less than a third of that. I recognize my perceptions are shaped by my age and responsibilities but so are everyone's. There are many shades of doom.

This is THE issue with regards to collapse.  That is, what are you going to do about it?  What steps are you going to take to address the knowledge that our civilization is doomed?  Most bury their head in the sand and refuse to contemplate.  They come up with a comfortable defending thought such as "the scientist will figure something out," and then they go about their life as they always have.  Who can blame them?  It's all we've ever known at this point.  As a species, first world Murikans may as well be in a class of their own.  Raised on electronic entertainment, computers, climate control, cars, and fast food.  We are completely separated from the natural pathways that sustain us.  Even our food has become separated from nature and is no longer farmed by human hand but by machine and man made chemicals. 

To think you can just move to a foreign tropical land, where you don't speak the language, or know the culture, is just as delusional as simply staying the BAU course in your grid tied McHovel with your BAU job.  You can do that if you are a lone wolf, but if you got little wolf pups and a Mrs. Wolf in tow than you cannot do that.  Well, there are some cases where Mrs. Wolf is willing to live that type of life, but they are few and far between.  It can be done, and is being done, but a lot of factors have to line up.  Finding the Mrs. Wolf who's willing being the first major factor. 

Even still, I'm not so sure that this strategy is advisable.  I've come to realize that they only strategy that's going to work is community.  Land based and agriculture community.  In a word, Permaculture.  Permaculture holds all of the answers as a strategy to prepare for collapse.  It has the ethics and the hands on tactics.  It just about has everything but the new Mythology for the future.  The problem is that it has to function in a communal setting to really work.  It at least needs to be sanctioned by the government as the new pathway for society.  If everyone turned their yards into gardens and started keeping animals instead of paying TrueTurf to come spray their lawns with chemicals twice a year...

What are the chances of that happening?

So we are left with only lone wolf strategies.  Those won't work once collapse advances far enough.  At best they will make you a target for starving zombies.  You'll have to be willing to defend what you've built via killing people with gunz.  You'll be shooting at parents who are simply trying to feed their starving children.  Or maybe you'll just be shooting at thugz in gangs.  Either way, who wants to be shooting people to protect some taters? 

It won't work without community.  Murika is anti-community.  We only want community in small doses like at the church on Sunday morning, or at the baseball field when the kids play.  We don't want to be submerged in communities that work the land everyday and are forced to deal with human relations in a meaningful and tribal setting. 

Just about all we can do is to purchase preps and learn how to garden.  That really is the extent of what we can do to prepare for the collapse of BAU.  But then BAU isn't going to simply stop one day.  Unless it comes in the shape of war on Murikan soil (which is pretty likely at some point).  If we manage to stave off war, and collapse comes in some other organic fashion, than it will be by degrees.  That's pretty  much what we are already seeing.  More and more people lose their job to automation and offshoring, and they get absorbed by the government's mailbox digibit safety net.  That keeps them clothed, housed, fed, and insured medically.  A good bit more end up joining the burgeoning ranks of the jailed and the convicted in our jails and prisons.  Or they simply join the military. 

At some point I suppose that will hit a breaking point.  It's a catch 22 for the government.  If they cut the digibit supply to the downtrodden then they risk some type of rebellion.  Probably they will just keep increasing the amount of digibits to absorb all of this.  It's not as if digibits are held in place by any laws of physics or economics.  There is an infinite supply of digibits until the grid doesn't work any longer because there is no energy left to sustain it. 

I've chosen to drive a truck as my strategy.  I've chosen that because it provides me with as much digibits as I can get currently.  When trucking stops that's the end of BAU.  I don't see them automating it in my lifetime.  I don't see it lasting long enough to become automated.  We've probably got only a couple of years left before the trucks stop due to fuel becoming unavailable.  I'm hoping that's the case because there is a good chance that trucking kills me due to obesity, diabetes, and heart disease.  It's almost impossible to stay healthy and drive a truck OTR.  You are sedentary for 10 hours at a time.  Even if you eat a good diet you will get fat.  I know, I know, ketogenic...no carbohydrates...lol...just eat eggs and bacon two times a day and see how long you last.  LOL!!!  Anyways, I digress.  My point is that trucking is something anyone with a clean driving record and a pulse can do to make a good living at the end of BAU. 

I'd love to go live in a tropical paradise with the cockroaches and pythons (errr...now that I think about it...maybe not...and anyways my wife wouldn't have it because she is disgusted by cochroaches).  Hell, we could go live at Turtle Island.  But we aren't going to do that either.  Why?  Basically because we like air conditioning and electricity and public school.  We like craft beer and Mexican food and Netflix.  We like refrigerators and propane cooks stoves/ovens.  We like providing our children with Aikido lessons and braces.  Just being honest here.  I'd be willing to do away with all of that.  In fact, I'd be happy to do away with all of that.  The thing that keeps me from doing that is that I'd have to deal with people on a daily basis.  I mostly don't like people.  I'm a product of this BAU.  BAU's labeled my problem as Aspergers, but I'm fine just calling it a dislike of people and their stupid shit opinions and their feelings. 

To live communally means to deal with people's opinions and feelings on a close and daily basis.  However, a bigger issue to me is that kids need to know how to operate in BAU so long as it exists.  Basically BAU has cancer, and we are all a part of that body.  It's terminal.  We're going to die.  All that is left is palliative care.  I have embraced the reality of our collective cancer.  In the final days I'm going to go on living and try to enjoy the time I've got left.  It's too late to change and save anything.  The damage has already been done to a nice human supporting biome.  There is nothing but anti-culture remaining.  May as well enjoy what you can of it.  Learn to garden and buy preps, but do that knowing that you are likely deluding yourself.  It's almost guaranteed that War will finish of BAU.  The elite will have no choice at some point because the cockroach population has already gotten out of hand. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:07:04 AM by luciddreams »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 06:15:19 AM »
With all the lag time, book mentor-ship with Cody Lundin !  :icon_sunny:

http://www.codylundin.com/

Cody at least is semi-authentic and makes a living teaching this stuff, he's not collecting a pension.  Even he doesn't live out in the bush year-round though, he has a 4 month teaching season during the summer, the rest of the year he's doing lectures, riding in carz and puttering around his digs watching TV and surfing the internet.  I've exchanged emails with Cody a couple of times trying to get him on for a Podcast.  He couldn't make a living teaching Primitive Skills and Survivalism if he was living in the Tropical Rainforest though, not enough rich wannabee Bushmen would come to take his classes.

Now, come SHTF Day, Cody himself has a better shot at survival than 99.9% of the rest of the Homo Saps out there, but he's been practicing this stuff for a quarter century at least, and he probably actually started before that as a kid.  Cody AFAIK also doesn't have a wife and kids he drags with him out into the bush to do survival living.  Playing Robinson Crusoe is much easier for a single male than a married one with kids.

Jumping out of Industrial Civilization is only really practical for those who have an independent and portable income, measured in monetary terms.  That generally means a pension and/or investments, but there are a few jobs that are very portable, like being writer.  However, there are almost as few successful writers as there are Primitive Living experts like Cody.

If you DO have independent income like PY, then I agree it is a good idea to get away from the Big Shities and away from the Belly of the Beast.  I wouldn't choose the Tropical Rainforest myself though, for numerous reasons I have delineated before, and which PY himself makes abundantly clear with his stories of cockroach infestation and Pythons slinking around looking to make a meal out of his Chooks, Dogs & Cats.  Still, given the choice just between that and the Big Shity, I would pick the Tropical Rainforest too.  Fortunately for me, there are other choices, like Alaska. The Last Great Frontier.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 07:22:49 AM »
Eddie: If I should ever have any grandchildren, which is uncertain, I'll tell them I bought some land so they might have a place to grow food. I'll tell them I built out solar PV so they could have lights to read by. I'll tell them I spent countless hours trying to figure out the best strategies to help their parents cope with what I viewed as certain hardship. I'll tell them I stockpiled hundreds of pounds of food in long term storage so that if JIT delivery seized up, that they could eat. I'll tell them I thought about what was coming and tried to prepare.

Easy to do if you have piles of money.  And if the grandkids ask you what you would do if the neighbours ask for some food, you will say "I'll shoot them."  And if they learn that as a way of life, we might as not bother surviving.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »
Eddie: If I should ever have any grandchildren, which is uncertain, I'll tell them I bought some land so they might have a place to grow food. I'll tell them I built out solar PV so they could have lights to read by. I'll tell them I spent countless hours trying to figure out the best strategies to help their parents cope with what I viewed as certain hardship. I'll tell them I stockpiled hundreds of pounds of food in long term storage so that if JIT delivery seized up, that they could eat. I'll tell them I thought about what was coming and tried to prepare.

Easy to do if you have piles of money.

You have piles of money too.  Not as big a pile as Eddie, but enough to pay the rent on a McShack in the Tropical Rainforest and sneer at anyone else who hasn't made that move.  Your pile of money comes in the form of Mailbox Money deposited to your account every month from the State, allowing you to pay your rent on the McShack, pay exterminators to come in and poison the cockroaches, pay locals to come and clear the brush from your driveway, buy a Japanese car on the used market and pay exorbitant prices for gas for it which most of the locals could never hope to afford, etc.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 07:56:17 AM »
Quote from: LD
To live communally means to deal with people's opinions and feelings on a close and daily basis.  However, a bigger issue to me is that kids need to know how to operate in BAU so long as it exists.  Basically BAU has cancer, and we are all a part of that body.  It's terminal.  We're going to die.  All that is left is palliative care.  I have embraced the reality of our collective cancer.  In the final days I'm going to go on living and try to enjoy the time I've got left.  It's too late to change and save anything.  The damage has already been done to a nice human supporting biome.  There is nothing but anti-culture remaining.  May as well enjoy what you can of it.  Learn to garden and buy preps, but do that knowing that you are likely deluding yourself.  It's almost guaranteed that War will finish of BAU.  The elite will have no choice at some point because the cockroach population has already gotten out of hand.

Brilliant comment, and true as far as I can tell. Please turn this into a blog article.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2018, 08:49:13 AM »

Easy to do if you have piles of money.  And if the grandkids ask you what you would do if the neighbours ask for some food, you will say "I'll shoot them."  And if they learn that as a way of life, we might as not bother surviving.

This is ad hom. Completely thoughtless and mean and off-base. I don't why people think they can talk shit on the internet. I don't expect if you really knew me, you'd even think that. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have the balls to say it. 

I wrote one reply and it seems to have not posted, and that's probably for the best. I have no desire to trade insults. We all deal with collapse as best we can with what we've got. My work is here, and I'll probably stay here, primarily for that reason. Whatever money I have, I will use.

I've spent my life in service to my patients. I don't rip them off, and I don't do work that they don't need. I've treated over 30 thousand people in my career. Hundreds of thousands of hours of difficult, specialized work that was mostly worth more than I got paid for it.

You might not think that's a big deal, but then I don't give  a rat's ass what you think.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »

This is ad hom. Completely thoughtless and mean and off-base. I don't know  why people think they can talk shit on the internet. I don't expect if you really knew me, you'd even think that. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have the balls to say it. 

I wrote one reply and it seems to have not posted, and that's probably for the best. I have no desire to trade insults. We all deal with collapse as best we can with what we've got. My work is here, and I'll probably stay here, primarily for that reason. Whatever money I have, I will use.

I've spent my life in service to my patients. I don't rip them off, and I don't do work that they don't need. I've treated over 30 thousand people in my career. Hundreds of thousands of hours of difficult, specialized work that was mostly worth more than I got paid for it.

You might not think that's a big deal, but then I don't give  a rat's ass what you think.

I would try to mediate this dispute, but I would doubtless fail... ::)

Far as why people will talk shit on the internet goes though, it's mainly because there aren't any major consequences to doing so.  You can't get punched in the face or kicked in the balls over fiber optic cable.  About the worst that happens is you get insulted back.  Then you get to see who can pitch out the better insults.  ::)

RE
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:20:17 AM by Eddie »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »
Quote from: LD

Brilliant comment, and true as far as I can tell. Please turn this into a blog article.

Ok, as RE would say, coming to a laptop near you...

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2018, 11:43:09 AM »

Far as why people will talk shit on the internet goes though, it's mainly because there aren't any major consequences to doing so.  You can't get punched in the face or kicked in the balls over fiber optic cable.  About the worst that happens is you get insulted back.  Then you get to see who can pitch out the better insults.  ::)

RE

You've made quite a career out of it.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »

RE

It's a GIFT:icon_sunny:  The SMOKE contests with Smokey on TBP were LEGENDARY.  ;D

Nolan Ryan RE has been retired though, in favor of Hoyt Wilhelm RE.  Your shoulder lasts longer throwing the Knuckleball.  Nolan only lasted to his 40s.  Hoyt made it into his 50s.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »

This is ad hom. Completely thoughtless and mean and off-base. I don't why people think they can talk shit on the internet. I don't expect if you really knew me, you'd even think that. I'm fairly sure you wouldn't have the balls to say it. 

It was a bit mean, but then I am a bit of a mean person due to highlighting the uncomfortable truth.

Quite aside from the good works you do for your community, you do have piles of money, and that leaks out in your plans - I'll buy a this, and buy a that, and then I'll get a new ... 

You have said that you would "protect" your family with your guns.  How this would workout in practice is in the video "American Blackout" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfJkMPTtWQ  Briefly. the survivalist goes out from his bunker with his guns to confront two men looking around his compound, only to be taken by a third man he hadn't seen.  Good movie - lots of other points in it.

"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 04:40:16 PM »

RE

It's a GIFT:icon_sunny:  The SMOKE contests with Smokey on TBP were LEGENDARY.  ;D

Nolan Ryan RE has been retired though, in favor of Hoyt Wilhelm RE.  Your shoulder lasts longer throwing the Knuckleball.  Nolan only lasted to his 40s.  Hoyt made it into his 50s.

[/center]

RE

I found that amazing, so I checked it. Wilhelm was nearly 30 years old when he entered the major leagues, and pitched until he was nearly 50.
His catcher, Gus Triandos once said, "Heaven is a place where no one throws a knuckleball."

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »
To go from me being willing to use guns for protection in times of lawlessness, to shooting my neighbors rather than sharing food, is a big leap. It's utter crap, is what it is. I'm not some wild-eyed survivalist. How it would work out is subject to debate. I hope I never have to find out. Videos are entertaining. They are not reality.

But a man who won't at least try to defend his family is instant roadkill in a fast collapse. And I don't have or need a bunker. I've spent my life in the woods from childhood. I will be doing the surprising. I have all manner of lethal talents. I was not raised in a city.

But I retract the part about hundreds of thousands of hours though. I did the math. I'll settle for "many tens of thousands of hours".

I suppose when you had a job, you worked for free? No? Donated all your pay to charity, did you? Lived in a co-op and you all shared your incomes equally? Each contributing according to his ability, and each taking according to his needs?

I have a good job and I also deliberately try to amass money from various investments...because it's damned useful to have some as long as BAU persists. My preps are primarily aimed at food security of one form or another, and alternative energy. I must not be that rich, because I'd like to put a lot more money into both.

In order to be able to contribute to a gift economy, you have to be able to produce a surplus. I work at learning how to do this, and I'm spending money collecting tools to help me do it.

We will all be powering down at some point. I actually admire what you're doing. But I am doing what I can where I can. If it doesn't work out here, I will do my best to move on and adapt as well as I can elsewhere. Your way is not the only way. You're incredibly judgmental and dogmatic. Give it a rest.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »

RE

[/center]

RE

I found that amazing, so I checked it. Wilhelm was nearly 30 years old when he entered the major leagues, and pitched until he was nearly 50.
His catcher, Gus Triandos once said, "Heaven is a place where no one throws a knuckleball."

I thought he actually lasted past 50, but I am pretty sure he was the oldest Major League pitcher ever in any case.

Nolan Ryan though was really more amazing, because to throw the kind of HEAT Nolan did for as long as he did took one fucking resilient shoulder and great mechanics to do it.  With Nolan, every batter KNEW what was coming down the pipe when he stepped up to the plate.  There wasn't any fooling around, although he did have a pretty good Curveball and Changeup.  But when push came to shove, it was the FASTBALL.  Nolan was clocked in 1974 at 108.5 mph (adjusted for radar gun placement), the fastest EVAH.

Nolan Ryan impressed and captivated MLB fans wherever he went, from the very young age of 19 all the way until he was 46. Batters feared him and he used that to fuel his dominance on the mound for four different franchises in both leagues. He’s the greatest pitcher to never win a Cy Young award. He set the bar in so many areas, set records that will never be broken, and carried out feats we’ll only get to read about in the history books and will likely never see again.

Only four pitchers have ever thrown more innings than Nolan’s astounding total of 5,386, and only one of those men pitched after 1932. In fact, only one pitcher has started more games in the history of baseball than Nolan Ryan, who started 773 times, and that was Cy Young with 815 starts. As impressive as Ryan’s longevity was, including having more than 30 starts in each of 16 seasons, the quality of the starts he had throughout his long career are also unmatched.

I was lucky enough to see Nolan pitch live at Shea Stadium many times the year of the "mIracle" Mets, when they had him and Tom Seaver and Tug McGraw in the Bullpen.  What a pitching staff!

The quote I remember best was from Pete Rose, "Nolan Ryan Strikes you OUT".

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Amazing Nolan Ryan
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d5nhcIYK1Ig" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d5nhcIYK1Ig</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN