PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Meanwhile back at the 'stead

AuthorTopic: Meanwhile back at the 'stead  (Read 230114 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead
« Reply #1320 on: May 04, 2020, 11:42:24 AM »
Slow going. My morning's work. Bracing blocks cut and placed. Deck substructure planks cut and placed for a trial fitting.

IMG 9119
IMG 9119

IMG 3290
IMG 3290

I will glue it and screw it.....and then place more braces under the overhangs. Getting hot now. I need to take a break.I might glue the 4X4's on other side now. It's shadier and I can get in the water.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A Few More Pics of the Boathouse
« Reply #1321 on: May 25, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »
We had a spectacular late spring rainstorm here at the lake last night, with lots of thunder and lightning. We sat outside until very late on the deck,  safely watching the rain come down from the protection of the overhanging eaves, while the dogs watched from their big pillowy lakehouse dog beds, with a bit more circumspection.....  just inside the French doors.

There is something healing about the sound of the rain, and the energy of a storm always makes me feel good. In an arid land, rain is a blessing.

I've been reading about Boris Johnson's aide Dominic Cummings.....all the heat he took for leaving London and hunkering down in the rural north....and it occurred to me that I've been doing much the same thing all spring, spending most of my days off work, for the last three and a half months...... out here in Llano county where they have a total of 1 confirmed case of COVID-19.

To get here though, only requires me to drive...and I tried to make no more trips to Home Depot than absolutely necessary, always wore (and still am wearing) my mask......and out here I am practicing a rather extreme form of social distancing...

Of course there was never a legal mandate here to stay indoors.....and I never completely stopped working, since I had a steady stream of emergencies to handle....although we did take every precaution we could...and still are. I worked four days last week...we are maybe up to perhaps 30-40% of our usual schedule.

I glued and screwed the last of the braces on my cantilevered walking deck on the shallow side....in these pics you can see I've  moved the deck planks so they wouldn't get tacked down permanently with the epoxy I was using to glue on the 1 foot long 4X4's that you can see. I laid the boards back down prior to moving them again for this pic, and I'm happy to say the deck is very solid to walk on now, no hint at all of sagging under my 200 pounds. Adding additional  bulk to the structure in the same dimensions as my original glu-lam beams has made the whole structure sturdier, even the roof...although I have some more bracing to do up there, and I need to box in the structure across the "bow" end of the building, which will also make one final tie- in of the two 'walls".

I'm not going to put on any siding. Nobody does that here, and I'm happy that the way it all worked out.......so that from most viewpoints..like from the 2nd floor deck up at the house..the boathouse is all but invisible....and down at the shoreline.....the  view of the the island across the cove is not blocked at all.......only from one spot....about half way down the path  between the cottage and the shore,,,,does the boathouse roof block the view....fortunately not a spot where anyone spends much time.

A project like this one..for me anyway....becomes a difficult challenge to stay on task until it's completed....as much as anything is ever completed.....but it is almost at a point where I could call it finished. I do have to glue on the same inner and outer braces on the deepwater side of the boathouse. About the same amount of work as I did yesterday...but it will be more difficult because  I can't stand chest deep in the water to screw on the braces like I did on the shallow side. The star-drive 6 inch deck screws need a lot of down-pressure to keep the heads from stripping. I stripped a few yesterday and had to back them out with piiers...

The pics load rotated.....but click on them to see them better.

IMG 2136 3
IMG 2136 3

IMG 4186 2
IMG 4186 2

IMG 3317 2
IMG 3317 2

On the deep side the covering boards are still tacked in place. I have to leave them there to help me align the braces......wet with glue, they wander all over the place if you don't have something to keep them in place. I've taken to drilling a pilot hole through the blocks..which makes putting them on much easier. I start the screws now.....and get a lot of blocks all ready..... and then put the glue on and drive them into place a few at a time.

I have two things to decide.....whether to glue down the covering boards or not...kind of a trade-off. It will make the structure stronger and the deck less prone to warping over time, I think.....but it would make it impossible to disassemble without destroying the whole deck....if boards ever needed replacing.

The other thing is whether to let this layer.....which I intended to deck over with regular 2 foot deck planks placed 90 degrees to the long covering board and secured with lots of screws...to just be the final layer instead. It is wide enough to walk on the way it is, and very stout with the braces in place. I might wait a while on the other deck layer.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:32:10 PM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meanwhile back at the 'stead More Garden Pics
« Reply #1322 on: May 25, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
I took these a few days back.....uploads are faster today, so I'll post them finally.

Tomatoes In the Keyhole Garden
Tomatoes In the Keyhole Garden

Herb Bed With White Dog
Herb Bed With White Dog

Onions down below.

Blackberries
Blackberries

Survivor chard and new greens
Survivor chard and new greens

How I use fence panels to build my garden gates and fences
How I use fence panels to build my garden gates and fences

Rosemary and Multiplying Onions in the Wicking Bed.....it's gotten way too shady.
Rosemary and Multiplying Onions in the Wicking Bed.....it's gotten way too shady.

Peppers...need to put up shade on these guys.
Peppers...need to put up shade on these guys.

Fig Trees.....year five or so....takes time.
Fig Trees.....year five or so....takes time.

Lettuce Be
Lettuce Be

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 02:14:29 PM by Eddie »

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 25, 2020, 03:49:36 PM »
Very nice. I will miss my garden this year...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1324 on: May 26, 2020, 03:15:31 AM »
I must tell you, your garden pictures are impressive. Very nice.

Back in the day when I would visit Kunstler's website, he had a section devoted to his garden. It was spacious, and well cared for, very much the upstate New York gentleman farmer's sort of place. JHK has nothing on you, except maybe some square footage. Hard to tell.

Between that and the boathouse, you've been busy.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 26, 2020, 05:33:19 AM »
I must tell you, your garden pictures are impressive. Very nice.

Back in the day when I would visit Kunstler's website, he had a section devoted to his garden. It was spacious, and well cared for, very much the upstate New York gentleman farmer's sort of place. JHK has nothing on you, except maybe some square footage. Hard to tell.

Between that and the boathouse, you've been busy.

Thanks Surly.

My garden is probably a little smaller than JHK's. It's on two little terraces between my pool and the septic field down below.....a part of my yard that for many years was an eyesore....and a landscapers nightmare.  I am happy that it turned out to be pretty esthetic,,,,,,,as far as food, it is only sufficient to provide a small but welcome supplement. I hope to get more real nutrition going.....but I haven't spent much time on the aqua/hydro stuff I've been planning. I will get back to that when the boathouse is finished enough to let go of that for a while.
Adventurer daughter, the middle one, has done all the heavy lifting on the garden this year...She has just finally gotten all her pre-recs done for medical school and has been studying massively for the MCAT...the garden is a little break for her. I only wish I could stay on task half as well as she does...but we raised her like an Asian kid...she is a human doing.

I have to work on the little powerboat...the one I built the boathouse to house......I expect it will be well into the summer before I'm able to just jump in the boat and go for a ride without using the dreaded boat ramp..the way I have imagined it,

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 26, 2020, 08:05:09 AM »
That's an awesome garden Eddie. It's neat to see a keyhole garden in real life, I've seen the concept in a book but not a real one. Here's some pics of my little 6x6 plot I started a year or two ago pre-weeding and post-weeding. I definitely procrastinated with weeding so it was harder than it had to be but it's still mostly done. Still gotta fill the second raised bed too which will be a mix of some old leaf compost in the back corner of our yard and some purchased bags from the garden centre. Oh and I tried pee fertilizer for the first time! I peed, mixed it 1 part pee with 10 parts water, and watered the raised bed before it got too sunny. I listened for a thank you from the soil microorganisms but I didn't hear any. I think it will be a delayed thanks in the form of healthier plants  :icon_sunny: If this works it'll be great because I drink a lot of tea so I am a very productive producer of fertilizer. No one else knows about the liquid fertilizing because I think there is still an 'ick' factor but I will let them in on it when I feel they are ready (the rest of my family).

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 26, 2020, 08:28:19 AM »
Nice beds.

Weeds are always a problem.....so are bugs. I can't grow certain things here..like cabbage. Just not worth the struggle.  Learn about BT. (Bacillus thuringiensis) I can't pronounce it, but it's something that helps with the bugs and it's all natural and safe.

I had some other pics, but I apparently did not successfully airdrop them all the first time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:46:41 AM by Eddie »

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 26, 2020, 08:51:35 AM »
Nice beds.

Weeds are always a problem.....so are bugs. I can't grow certain things here..like cabbage. Just not worth the struggle.  Learn about BT. (Bacillus thuringiensis) I can't pronounce it, but it's something that helps with the bugs and it's all natural and safe.

I had some other pics, but I apparently did not successfully airdrop them all the first time.
I've never really had to worry about bugs here as we are 8n the middle of the woods. The new site might be more challenging as there are a lit of agricultural lands around ..
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 26, 2020, 08:56:10 AM »
Nice beds.

Thank you. They're made of old 2x4's from a renovation we did on the house when I was just a toddler. Most of them aren't near straight enough to serve as studs but they do a fine job of holding soil. I will do some learning on BT after I fill that second bed up. No rush but the more pics the better, I love seeing more mature gardens where the soil has been built up over the years. My little plot is better than it was when it started but it's still fairly sandy and not super rich. Working on that though.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 26, 2020, 09:41:21 AM »
 I am wishing I could get three more yards of compost in my own beds. All soil here has to be made or bought. The natural dirt here is too alkaline to even amend....I buy (when I can afford to) bulk soil and haul it in my dump trailer...which is a damned handy thing to have for a gardener with no dirt.

The beds you see are maybe 6 years old and they have had compost added a couple of times....not this year, however. By the time I thought about it, it was too late. If you learn to compost, you can build your own soil where you are, I'm sure.

Most of the beds you saw in my garden were part of a couple of old docks that I tore down out at the lake. At some point I went to new lumber, but it isn't my preference.

Just tried to airdrop more pics but I can't figure out where they went.....I'm an analog man in a digital world. I'll try again later. Somewhere I have a file overflowing with garden pics now....if I could find it.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:57:16 AM by Eddie »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1331 on: May 26, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »
Nice beds.

Thank you. They're made of old 2x4's from a renovation we did on the house when I was just a toddler. Most of them aren't near straight enough to serve as studs but they do a fine job of holding soil. I will do some learning on BT after I fill that second bed up. No rush but the more pics the better, I love seeing more mature gardens where the soil has been built up over the years. My little plot is better than it was when it started but it's still fairly sandy and not super rich. Working on that though.

Nice beds indeed.

Any gardening down here has to be raised bed because the water table is so shallow.
Well done.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Cam

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 26, 2020, 02:35:53 PM »

Nice beds indeed.

Any gardening down here has to be raised bed because the water table is so shallow.
Well done.

Thank you! They're good basic carpentry practice because nothing has to be perfect as long as you have a functional box at the end. I hand cut everything for the workout so some things are off by a 1/4 inch or more but it doesn't affect the function of the box at all. It just ain't as pretty as the $200 Canadian tire version.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Boat pics
« Reply #1333 on: June 08, 2020, 05:39:21 AM »
This weekend was a short one, but I spent the night with the dogs out at the lake Saturday night, and yesterday I went back into the outdrive on the Donzi for the 3rd or 4th time.....never had a big issue, just a difficult to replace rubber exhaust hose that  runs to the propeller.....some of these boats have what is called a "captain's choice" exhaust, so that the exhaust can exit through the transom (loud) or through the hollow Mercruiser prop (nearly as loud, but not quite).

The problem is access....and if you don't get it right, the clamps slip off. I finally figured out the secret knowledge only known to trained Mercruiser mechanics and got it put together right. I'd tell you the secret, but then I'd have to kill you.

But anyway, after the weekenders came in and the lake was emptying out...I putted the Donzi over from the ramp to the house and parked it in its new slip.

I'll have to say it fit just about perfect.....and the lift worked okay....success! 

Felt pretty good.

IMG 8067 4 copy
IMG 8067 4 copy

IMG 9147 copy
IMG 9147 copy

IMG 0885 2 copy
IMG 0885 2 copy
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 09:27:48 AM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: June 23, 2020, 02:50:39 PM »
My work day is almost done.It's a quarter of five.

I arrived at work at 7:03 am.

My faithful assistant who always opens up was not there.

The office was dark.

The first two patients were already parked out front.

It was raining like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

My key didn't work in the front door (new lock).

I had forgotten to grab my phone on the way out the door at home.

I was a little frustrated, to tell you the truth.

But....after the first 30 minutes it was okay.

Just a day in the life.

Okay, it's quarter of six now. I really have to go home.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 03:49:32 PM by Eddie »