AuthorTopic: C5 Walks into a Diner...  (Read 9162 times)

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: C5 Walks into a Diner...
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »
Ground is still frozen solid here. 12 inches of fresh snow and freezing rain 3 days ago. The roads dept slaughtered everything along the ditch line up to 20 ft back  3 years ago. My road front is low and wet so it's all poplar 3 to 6 ft 1-2 inch diameter. I've been pondering it a while. Probably would have stopped there if you had not written.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2018, 03:49:55 PM »
I have been using a breaker bar for starter holes.

Here we use those to bust the limestone so we can dig post holes. The old school corner braces have mostly been replaced by the pre-welded units you can buy from various pipe yards, but you still have to dig holes to set them. I still use cross ties. I consider fence building to be  a way to commune with the spirit of my dead father, who was quite a hand at fence work. I miss him.

Fence posts are mostly T-posts now, which can be driven into the ground with powered drivers. I have a big expensive tractor driven post hole auger machine (Beltec) but I still have to clean and enlarge the holes....and I drive T-posts by hand.

I feel your pain.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2018, 05:16:14 PM »
I don't suppose we can come up with a solution to the Community Problem so one aging Doomer doesn't have to put up miles of fencing? ???  :icon_scratch:

Here's a nice live willow entrance C5 can make to his Permi Garden:

Here's a nice woven job he can use to fence in the whole property.  By himself, he'll be weaving his fingers raw until the Sun Goes Red Giant.  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
C5 Walks into a Diner...: Live Willow Domes
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 02:27:31 AM »
In all our conversations about Monolithic domes and Geodesic domes, I don't ever recall discussing using Live Willow Domes as building structures on your Doomstead.  Here's one that you could turn into a pretty nice Barn:

Here is another more of a "Longhouse" design which could be housing for WWOOFERs helping to build more fencing around the Doomstead.

Here's a more individual size abode

You would of course need to do quite a bit of work on these things to be somewhat weather-proof.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: C5 Walks into a Diner...: Live Willow Domes
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2018, 03:59:19 AM »
In all our conversations about Monolithic domes and Geodesic domes, I don't ever recall discussing using Live Willow Domes as building structures on your Doomstead.  Here's one that you could turn into a pretty nice Barn:

[/center]

Here is another more of a "Longhouse" design which could be housing for WWOOFERs helping to build more fencing around the Doomstead.

[/center]

Here's a more individual size abode

[/center]

You would of course need to do quite a bit of work on these things to be somewhat weather-proof.

RE

These are amazing. Amazing amount of work, too.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 04:27:27 AM »
I don't suppose we can come up with a solution to the Community Problem so one aging Doomer doesn't have to put up miles of fencing? ???  :icon_scratch:

Well, here is the subject to discuss. I had burnt out trying several versions, to no success. Still trying because of its sheer necessity. While in Lima, we realised if we are going to continue trying, we have to switch from our good anarchist principles... and switch all the way over to medieval landlordism.

I may not be able to join that discussion because I figure I will be severely brain dead for the next while. Holes to punch in the ground. Sticks to force in. Pain to endure.
Our fences wont look nearly as pretty. Different shapes and sizes. It has to grow itself for a few years before we have much to work with.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2018, 04:43:37 AM »

Well, here is the subject to discuss. I had burnt out trying several versions, to no success. Still trying because of its sheer necessity. While in Lima, we realised if we are going to continue trying, we have to switch from our good anarchist principles... and switch all the way over to medieval landlordism.

I may not be able to join that discussion because I figure I will be severely brain dead for the next while. Holes to punch in the ground. Sticks to force in. Pain to endure.
Our fences wont look nearly as pretty. Different shapes and sizes. It has to grow itself for a few years before we have much to work with.

The subject has given me inspiration and material for a new article, which I just started.  However, it will probably be while before I publish it.  I have a couple of Sunday Brunch articles in the can already, and Eddie hopefully will produce another installment of his running series on the (former) Tropical Paradise Bugout Location of the Virgin Islands.  Hopefully also Surly's arm will get repaired and he will get his Fastball back to further hammer down on the collapsing political system of the FSoA.  ::)

Tentative provisional title for the new article is "Catch-22 for the Doomsteader".  You can guess what it is about.  ;D

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2018, 05:34:20 AM »

If you see this C5, drop me a link to your writing about your experiences in Peru.I assume there are some. When you have a quiet moment, LOL. We went to Peru and passed through Lima Of course) on our way to Iquitos. Just visiting, but it was an interesting trip. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but not to live there. I like the upper Amazon though.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2018, 05:44:06 AM »

If you see this C5, drop me a link to your writing about your experiences in Peru.I assume there are some. When you have a quiet moment, LOL. We went to Peru and passed through Lima Of course) on our way to Iquitos. Just visiting, but it was an interesting trip. I'd go back in a heartbeat, but not to live there. I like the upper Amazon though.

Just go to his blog.  Not hard to find.  You can start with this one:

https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2017/04/18/survival-advice-from-south-america-part-1-the-arrival/

WARNING!:  C5 makes me look terse.  He is REALLY long winded.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2018, 05:46:50 AM »
Ah, thanks. I have visited his blog before, but didn't save the link. I'll bookmark it.

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2018, 06:19:30 AM »
[quote

Just go to his blog.  Not hard to find.  You can start with this one:

https://darkgreenmountainsurvivalresearchcentre.wordpress.com/2017/04/18/survival-advice-from-south-america-part-1-the-arrival/

WARNING!:  C5 makes me look terse.  He is REALLY long winded.

RE
[/quote

]It helps to be intoxicated while reading. Try to think of it as short books.... and stream of consciousness, Hunter S Thompson  style. At the time, I was sick of shortening my thought process down to blog reply sized bits... and just decided to write down everything I was thinking. It is an exploration into my mind though. Beware, all ye who enter here. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:22:40 AM by cernunnos5 »

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2018, 06:35:02 AM »
It helps to be intoxicated while reading. Try to think of it as short books.... and stream of consciousness, Hunter S Thompson  style.

Hunter Thompson is my literary mentor. :)  The Diner is a Gonzo Blog of Collapse and has been so since we put it up in 2012.  I take a lot of shit for this, but well, if you don't get it you can go fuck yourself. :P

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2018, 07:48:09 AM »
Actually C5 is a good writer. He's a little obsessed with shipping containers and tin roofs, but I share his views on both those things. I'd like to have a shipping container or two myself, but good ones aren't what I consider cheap here. I guess it's all relative.

I have loved Hunter since about 1976 or so. Like a lot of us, I did a lot of drugs searching in my misspent youth. I have never, however, succumbed to the depravity of an ether binge. I discovered Hunter and Tom Robbins on the same day, and was subsequently  influenced a lot by both of them.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2018, 08:01:00 AM »
Actually C5 is a good writer. He's a little obsessed with shipping containers and tin roofs, but I share his views on both those things. I'd like to have a shipping container or two myself, but good ones aren't what I consider cheap here. I guess it's all relative.

I have loved Hunter since about 1976 or so. Like a lot of us, I did a lot of drugs searching in my misspent youth. I have never, however, succumbed to the depravity of an ether binge. I discovered Hunter and Tom Robbins on the same day, and was subsequently  influenced a lot by both of them.

About the same for me. I remember reading “fear and loathing“ first, and picking up a copy of “Hells angels“ and then it was on. I read everything of HSTs that I could get my hands on.

C5 is certainly “gonzo“ enough of a writer, and he’s highly amusing. I really enjoy his many discursions. Plus the fact that he’s out there actually doing this, and can still find the time to write about it it’s really impressive. My hat is off to him, and to you as well.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2018, 08:09:22 AM »
Actually C5 is a good writer. He's a little obsessed with shipping containers and tin roofs,

Soooooo...... Once the weather warms up enough to stop doing the fence....... Im on to working on.....SHIPPING CONTAINERS.... for the rest of the year.  :evil4:

I'm getting the pace of this fence thing. Pacing. Work for 30-45 minutes. Take 30 off. I got muscle to rebuild after almost 2 years of slacking