AuthorTopic: C5 Walks into a Diner...  (Read 8081 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: C5 Walks into a Diner...
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2018, 08:59:55 AM »
Btw, C5, I have a metal roof, and my storage buildings (after I sell  the dirt to some greater fool) could be salvaged to provide a few thousand pieces of old-school galvanized roofing (and enough posts to build a lot of fence). I got that goin' for me.

Backhoe? Check. (Needs a new hose). I have a parts backhoe too. LOL. Vintage 1968 US made.

I also have an almost new Korean tractor that I still owe 26K on. But I'm down below 1M debt now, and that won't go higher unless I find a great deal on some Canadian land or somethin' else valuable to hand to my clueless kids someday.

I worry about drought and heat. My place, which looks gorgeous right now in spite of climate change, is ever-so-slowly turning into a desert. The trees know this. The old ones have no trouble understanding what's happening. A few of them have given already up and their souls have gone to tree heaven.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:23:06 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
Btw, C5, I have a metal roof, and my storage buildings (after I sell  the dirt to some greater fool) could be salvaged to provide a few thousand pieces of old-school galvanized roofing (and enough posts to build a lot of fence). I got that goin' for me.

Backhoe? Check. (Needs a new hose). I have a parts backhoe too. LOL. Vintage 1968 US made.

I also have an almost new Korean tractor that I still owe 26K on. But I'm down below 1M debt now, and that won't go higher unless I find a great deal on some Canadian land or somethin' else valuable to hand to my clueless kids someday.

I worry about drought and heat. My place, which looks gorgeous right now in spite of climate change, is ever-so-slowly turning into a desert. The trees know this. The old ones have no trouble understanding what's happening. A few of them have given already up and their souls have gone to tree heaven.

Moving all that gear up to the Great White North would be quite the challenge.  Not to mention expensive.

RE
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:40:07 AM by Eddie »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2018, 09:39:00 AM »
I don't think I'll be moving anything. That'll fall on the next generation, most likely. But I could do it, if need be. It'd take 3 or four trips. I'd have to have a new truck and plenty of fuel.

Or maybe a train of covered wagons.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:41:06 AM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2018, 10:08:49 AM »
I don't think I'll be moving anything. That'll fall on the next generation, most likely. But I could do it, if need be. It'd take 3 or four trips. I'd have to have a new truck and plenty of fuel.

To begin with, to pull a tractor up there, you need a semi with a lowboy.  To pull all the galvanized sheet metal from the storage units, you'll need a flatbed and LD to strap them and tarp it.

Basically, that shit is not going anywhere, it stays where it lays, this generation or the next one.  By the next, the fuel to move it all won't be available to do it with or will be too expensive.

If you really were to buy land in the Great White North, you pretty much have to start from scratch and sell out everything you own in TX to some greater fool.  Hopefully you pull in enough to pay off all the debt before you make the Great Escape.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »

To begin with, to pull a tractor up there, you need a semi with a lowboy.  To pull all the galvanized sheet metal from the storage units, you'll need a flatbed and LD to strap them and tarp it.

Basically, that shit is not going anywhere, it stays where it lays, this generation or the next one.  By the next, the fuel to move it all won't be available to do it with or will be too expensive.

If you really were to buy land in the Great White North, you pretty much have to start from scratch and sell out everything you own in TX to some greater fool.  Hopefully you pull in enough to pay off all the debt before you make the Great Escape.

RE

Let me see...how to say this respectfully and without hurting your feelings...

Okay, you're full of shit.

I can pull everything I own or will own on my 18 ft flatbed or in my 3 yd dump trailer, with a 1 ton pick-up. No problem. trucker boy. I have lots of experience moving equipment.

I pulled my sawmill from East Texas, had a blow-out in Dallas, drove home, got my flatbed, drove back, winched it on to the trailer (by hand, in the middle of the night) and made it to the stead in time to work the next day.

I moved three operatories worth of dental equipment on an 18 ft flatbed, including room size cabinets that had to be double-decked to fit (a large plate glass  window had to be removed to get it all out of the building). I did this all solo, dude, and got it in storage without breaking anything.

If I want to move, it will be done. You can hide and watch. LOL.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 10:44:50 AM »

RE

Let me see...how to say this respectfully and without hurting your feelings...

Okay, you're full of shit.

I can pull everything I own or will own on my 18 ft flatbed or in my 3 yd dump trailer, with a 1 ton pick-up. No problem. trucker boy. I have lots of experience moving equipment.

I pulled my sawmill from East Texas, had a blow-out in Dallas, drove home, got my flatbed, drove back, winched it on to the trailer (by hand, in the middle of the night) and made it to the stead in time to work the next day.

I moved three operatories worth of dental equipment on an 18 ft flatbed, including room size cabinets that had to be double-decked to fit (a large plate glass  window had to be removed to get it all out of the building). I did this all solo, dude, and got it in storage without breaking anything.

If I want to move, it will be done. You can hide and watch. LOL.

Everything you own?  Does that include all the furniture in the McMansion and the Lake House?  How about all your Carz and Motorcycles?  It includes all your battery arrays and solar panels too?  All the fencing you have put up at the Toothstead? Good Grief man, just to move one normal McMansion full of goodies of Industrial Culture takes one of these

You have easily 3-4X the flotsam & jetsam of Industrial Possesions as any halfway normal McMansion Owner.  But YOU can move it all with your trusty 1 ton Ford Pickup from Texas to Canada, no fucking problem.  ::)  lol.'

I will fly down to watch this hilarity.  ;D

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 11:17:58 AM »
Don't be silly. I'd only move useful equipment, not furniture. And it would take multiple trips.

And I'm not talking about after BAU is over and done. I'm talking about the way things are now.

Actually I would not be able to move the backhoe. Too heavy, unless I got a better trailer. But the tractor, no problem. And tools. The essential stuff would be better to transport than to replace.

But, unless climate change ramps up mightily, I don't expect to do it. My kids should do it, though, if they can. It'd be wise, I think. But that's their life, not  mine.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2018, 11:32:16 AM »
Don't be silly. I'd only move useful equipment, not furniture. And it would take multiple trips.

And I'm not talking about after BAU is over and done. I'm talking about the way things are now.

Actually I would not be able to move the backhoe. Too heavy, unless I got a better trailer. But the tractor, no problem. And tools. The essential stuff would be better to transport than to replace.

But, unless climate change ramps up mightily, I don't expect to do it. My kids should do it, though, if they can. It'd be wise, I think. But that's their life, not  mine.

In this case, you then have to replace furniture on the new Doomstead.  There's more expense for you in making the move.  You also get about nothing on the used furniture market when you try to sell the old stuff off. I learned this lesson as an itinerat coach, albeit on a much smaller scale.  If you have a lot of money invested in furnishings, it costs plenty to move them and you can't sell them but for pennies on the dollar.  It's all lost investment.  I pared down the amount of stuff I own of this type because of this, and what I do own is all disposable, used and cheap.

Far as some of your larger equipment goes, here you might be able to recoup some of the investment on the used market, and then just buy a similar unit once you arrive at your new Hoser Doomstead.  This is much easier than moving such things around.  So again, what you have to do is sell out, see how much money you get from your firesale and jump in Pickup truck with maybe one trailer load of prized preps for the move to the new place.  Zipping back and forth from TX to Canada  4 times is not a real practical idea, you would then have to have a place to store all the shit between these trips, which you can't do in a day.

If you don't do it, I doubt your progeny will be able to.  They just won't have the gas to do it with.  They will have to make the best of it with a drying up plot of land in Texas.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2018, 12:08:28 PM »
More reduction ad absurdum.

Unless we suddenly get a spike of 3-4 degrees C, I have some time. At some point it will make sense to cash out of a lot of things here, if I'm still sucking air. Before Austin becomes nothing but shifting sand. I will be older, retired, and have no reason to stay. Right now that is not the case.

I do intend to get the old tractors (the IH tractor, the Kubota, and the Allis backhoe) in good repair and sell them. I'll use that money to buy a new backhoe ATTACHMENT for the new tractor. That's my major piece of equipment. Of course, up north, the sawmill would be nice to have, too. Theoretically speaking.

If I weren't working, two or three round trips in a summer wouldn't be that big a deal.

We have no furniture worth worrying about. We have dogs. LOL.

And two of my kids now live within spitting distance of Canada, already.One in Chi Town. One in your old neighborhood in Queens. My new daughter-in-law is a foreign national with no green card. They might leave sooner rather than later.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »

Unless we suddenly get a spike of 3-4 degrees C, I have some time. At some point it will make sense to cash out of a lot of things here, if I'm still sucking air. Before Austin becomes nothing but shifting sand. I will be older, retired, and have no reason to stay. Right now that is not the case.

I do intend to get the old tractors (the IH tractor, the Kubota, and the Allis backhoe) in good repair and sell them. I'll use that money to buy a new backhoe ATTACHMENT for the new tractor. That's my major piece of equipment. Of course, up north, the sawmill would be nice to have, too. Theoretically speaking.

If I weren't working, two or three round trips in a summer wouldn't be that big a deal.

And two of my kids now live within spitting distance of Canada, already.One in Chi Town. One in your old neighborhood in Queens. My new daughter-in-law is a foreign national with no green card. They might leave sooner rather than later.

As I like to say, better a day early than a minute late in the GTFO of Dodge race.  The drier it gets, the less the current Toothstead is worth.  If you are showing a property like that with a lot of dead trees, it won't sell too well.

I forgot your daughter was in Queens.  I'd love it if she took a drive over to my old house and took some pictures, if she has time.  I'll send you the address in PM if she is amenable to this.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2018, 12:31:46 PM »
Send it and maybe they can do it when Mrs. Eddie is up there this weekend. She flew out this morning.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2018, 01:31:23 PM »
Been reading the Peru story all day between patients and shooting the shit with RE. Interesting stuff.

Not done yet (with patients or reading). I have this super scared black teenage girl I'm trying to get numb for 4 wisdom tooth extractions. She had Xanax. She has nitrous on at 50%. She obviously needs more. Fortunately her Mom is solid as a rock. Maybe we can get through this. And maybe I can walk on water.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
Been reading the Peru story all day between patients and shooting the shit with RE. Interesting stuff.

Not done yet (with patients or reading). I have this super scared black teenage girl I'm trying to get numb for 4 wisdom tooth extractions. She had Xanax. She has nitrous on at 50%. She obviously needs more. Fortunately her Mom is solid as a rock. Maybe we can get through this. And maybe I can walk on water.

You need some of that anaesthetic cocktail they hit me with for the spinal operation.  Totally OUT!  I never even knew when I went unconscious, just woke up in the recovery room a few hours later, all done.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2018, 01:55:21 PM »

Check this out. Bring your backhoe.: Its adjacent to the woodlot I was looking at. Its an abandoned large homestead. Original buildings are gone and its been used as a hunting playground since the early 1970's but it screams doomstead. If I was still coupled I would go for something like this but as a single parent I have to be financially cautious this late in the collapse game.
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Vacant-Land/19006908/HIGHWAY-118-Highlands-East-Ontario-K0L1M0
Check out realtor .ca in C5's neck of the woods. Crazy cheap.
David
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:05:40 PM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2018, 02:02:18 PM »

You need some of that anaesthetic cocktail they hit me with for the spinal operation.  Totally OUT!  I never even knew when I went unconscious, just woke up in the recovery room a few hours later, all done.

RE

Indeed! I have a whole new regard for the anesthetist's art after my spinal fusion. Eight hours under and flat on my face. They take you out and bring you back. Given all the variables and things that can go wrong, anesthesia is a minor miracle. Mad props.

IN other news, I saw an orthopod for a followup this afternoon and lost my emergency room splint, so I can actually type with two hands again. Huzzah! Teaches appreciation for the small things.

I am assuming they limit a dentist's bag of tricks. Four wisdom teeth at once is a tall order.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound