AuthorTopic: C5 Walks into a Diner...  (Read 2448 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: C5 Walks into a Diner...
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2018, 02:09:37 PM »
I'm licensed for IV sedation, but I make do with oral sedation and nitrous. Less paperwork, and a little safer maybe.

It's fairly effective, I give 2mg of Xanax, which is 8X the anxiolytic dose. Combine that with 50% N2O and patients don't remember much. It's like they've been roofied.

It went well. She settled down after the drugs hit her, and I did a good job with the local too. she didn't feel a thing.

Some days I can walk on water. Not every day. LOL.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:13:40 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2018, 02:12:36 PM »
More reduction ad absurdum.

Unless we suddenly get a spike of 3-4 degrees C, I have some time. At some point it will make sense to cash out of a lot of things here, if I'm still sucking air. Before Austin becomes nothing but shifting sand. I will be older, retired, and have no reason to stay. Right now that is not the case.

I do intend to get the old tractors (the IH tractor, the Kubota, and the Allis backhoe) in good repair and sell them. I'll use that money to buy a new backhoe ATTACHMENT for the new tractor. That's my major piece of equipment. Of course, up north, the sawmill would be nice to have, too. Theoretically speaking.

If I weren't working, two or three round trips in a summer wouldn't be that big a deal.

We have no furniture worth worrying about. We have dogs. LOL.

And two of my kids now live within spitting distance of Canada, already.One in Chi Town. One in your old neighborhood in Queens. My new daughter-in-law is a foreign national with no green card. They might leave sooner rather than later.
Check this out. Bring your backhoe.: Its adjacent to the woodlot I was looking at. Its an abandoned large homestead. Original buildings are gone and its been used as a hunting playground since the early 1970's but it screams doomstead. If I was still coupled I would go for something like this but as a single parent I have to be financially cautious this late in the collapse game.
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Vacant-Land/19006908/HIGHWAY-118-Highlands-East-Ontario-K0L1M0
Check out realtor .ca in C5's neck of the woods. Crazy cheap.
David

Oh, that is sweet. I like it.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »
Actually C5 is a good writer. He's a little obsessed with shipping containers and tin roofs, but I share his views on both those things. I'd like to have a shipping container or two myself, but good ones aren't what I consider cheap here. I guess it's all relative.

Cheap AF here, but this area, being a port, is full of yards stocked six stories high with containers. $2500-$5500 plus delivery. A sculptural monument to the balance of trade.

https://shipped.com/shipping-containers-for-sale.php
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2018, 02:34:37 PM »
Actually C5 is a good writer. He's a little obsessed with shipping containers and tin roofs, but I share his views on both those things. I'd like to have a shipping container or two myself, but good ones aren't what I consider cheap here. I guess it's all relative.

Cheap AF here, but this area, being a port, is full of yards stocked six stories high with containers. $2500-$5500 plus delivery. A sculptural monument to the balance of trade.

https://shipped.com/shipping-containers-for-sale.php

That's on par for here, roughly. I priced some nice large ones with the extra ft of height..About 4K  if I remember right. I want a big one if I buy one at all. To me, that is NOT cheap. I can build a pretty nice shed for that. I do have a place already graded that would be good for a conex box though.. RE said you could truck one in there if I did some tree trimming. He has seen the spot.

I've been spending so much on pig feed. It's taken all my discretionary budget lately. And then some.

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 05:45:39 PM »
Well I'm in Canton Mississippi, in my sleeper at a Loves after a 550 mile day which ended in the delivery of a 33,500 pound coil (which is light, the last one was 48,000).  I just read this entire thread.  Lot's of meat on this here bone, and I drank 3 Abita "Andygator" beers while I was at it (on my fourth now...they are 8% and I don't drink like I used to). 

I was thinking Bamboo before Eddie brought it up, specifically "Arrow Bamboo," or Pseudosasa Japonica.  It's of no use to C5 though cause it requires a temperate climate.  However, he could grow pachymorphic (clumping) bamboo from the genus Fargesia.  It's from the Himalayas and so has no problem with extreme cold.  Three days of 95 degrees (Fahrenheit) will kill it.  Most of the fargesias grow about 8 feet tall and around 6 to 8 feet in diameter (the family of canes).  They are around .25 to .50 inches in diameter.  Basically bamboo is not an answer for C5...he's already got his pussy on it.  However, Eddie could definitely grow some Boo, and watering it is only necessary for the first couple of months. 

As I read C5's description of Willow's ecological uses it was as if I was reading about temperate bamboo. 

Also, when I read his advice that the most important object to buy for teotwawki was a ladder, I thought of bamboo.  He said he made a ladder but it was too heavy (I imagine he used wood).  Japanese fire fighters traditionally used bamboo ladders.  Keiji actually taught me how to build a bamboo ladder with bamboo canes and cordage.  Bamboo is hollow, unlike wood, and so it's lite (or is it light?). 

C5 reminds me of me before I took to truckin'.  Fuckin' money...

I agree with just about everything I've read that he's written on this thread.  Community is definitely the most important aspect with respect to thriving in a post petroleum reality.  Murika is fucked due to this.  We don't have community, or much culture.  What culture we have is mostly Native, Mexican, and black.  Whites in Murika have anti-culture and Jeebus and that's about it.  Blacks will be cordial enough to whites, now, when BAU is operating, but I see the reality there.  At least in the south...there is a large percentage of blacks that would love to see the whites become the new niggers.  I learned while I was getting kicked out of the USN that the blacks are great under oppression.  Whites lose their fuckin' marbles under oppression, or massive hardship.  Not all whites.  I'm white.  I won't loose my marbles.  There are plenty of hard ass whites that can make it through the bottleneck.  I digress. 

Community...that's what is important for post petroleum survival.  We have no community (well with exception to the Mennonites and Amish).  The petroleum stops and Murika stops.  Lot's of people will die en masse.  How do you prepare for that?  I've come to realize that the best you can do is prepare for that eventuality psychologically.  Sure, you can do what C5 if proposing (and you should).  You should especially stock up on non-perishable foods and learn some permaculture.  As in, practice some permaculture with respect to plants, and learning to plant and care for them.  Perennials are best.  Bamboo can take care of most all of our needs.  It's an entire culture...at least it can be in a temperate climate.  It can be everything from child entertainment (children love all things bamboo...as do chickens...it's their natural habitat after all) all the way to entire buildings, and it's also food (highest protein count of any vegetable on the planet). 

I'm with RE on this.  The main problem with respect to collapse is community.  That has to happen before teotwawki.  Hippie ecovillages aren't gonna make it IMO.  They are worried about lee lines and faeries.  Zombies will be worried about feeding their broods (and themselves) come collapse.  They won't have a problem bustin' caps in asses until the caps are gone.  So whatever "community" that will survive will have to have no problem bustin' caps in asses.  This has long been my problem with the permaculture community.  They want to smoke weed and hug each other while playing guitar.  That's cool, I'm all for that, but I'm also aware of the ubiquity of guns in my anti-culture. 

One last thing, before I drop the mic and run over it with my tractor trailer. 

C5 never mentioned physical health and fitness.  I'd argue that it's more important to be able to do a lot of push ups, pull ups, and sit ups then it is to own a ladder (which a zombie crack head can steel...).  I imagine C5 has failed to mention this because when one lives the way he lives being fit just happens.  I know, I experienced it myself.  I was in the best shape of my life a couple years after resigning from the Matrix and permaculturin' it up.  Then I quit smokin' weed and started driving a truck for money.  I gained 50 pounds.  Now I've developed a flatbed trucker road work out routine.  I work out daily and often on the road.  I work out on my flatbed trailer because there is no piss on it.  Watch for me, and you'll likely see me on any given interstate rest area doing push ups and sit ups on my flatbed.  I also do pull ups on the trailer.  I've recently bought a pair of running shoes and plan to start running (when I can find places that don't smell like piss to run at). 

My point is that next to food, being in shape is of the utmost importance for survival in a post petroleum world.  Community is the most important aspect...but community is non-existent in Murika.  Community is fucked in Murika. 

Lastly, Bamboo is the most useful plant to our species on this planet.   

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:50:31 PM by luciddreams »

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2018, 06:31:27 PM »
Four wisdom teeth at once is a tall order.

Nah.  My Mex Dentista pulled 20 of my teeth in one session.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2018, 06:35:56 PM »
Well I'm in Canton Mississippi, in my sleeper at a Loves after a 550 mile day which ended in the delivery of a 33,500 pound coil (which is light, the last one was 48,000).  I just read this entire thread.  Lot's of meat on this here bone, and I drank 3 Abita "Andygator" beers while I was at it (on my fourth now...they are 8% and I don't drink like I used to). 

I was thinking Bamboo before Eddie brought it up, specifically "Arrow Bamboo," or Pseudosasa Japonica.  It's of no use to C5 though cause it requires a temperate climate.  However, he could grow pachymorphic (clumping) bamboo from the genus Fargesia.  It's from the Himalayas and so has no problem with extreme cold.  Three days of 95 degrees (Fahrenheit) will kill it.  Most of the fargesias grow about 8 feet tall and around 6 to 8 feet in diameter (the family of canes).  They are around .25 to .50 inches in diameter.  Basically bamboo is not an answer for C5...he's already got his pussy on it.  However, Eddie could definitely grow some Boo, and watering it is only necessary for the first couple of months. 

As I read C5's description of Willow's ecological uses it was as if I was reading about temperate bamboo. 

Also, when I read his advice that the most important object to buy for teotwawki was a ladder, I thought of bamboo.  He said he made a ladder but it was too heavy (I imagine he used wood).  Japanese fire fighters traditionally used bamboo ladders.  Keiji actually taught me how to build a bamboo ladder with bamboo canes and cordage.  Bamboo is hollow, unlike wood, and so it's lite (or is it light?). 

C5 reminds me of me before I took to truckin'.  Fuckin' money...

I agree with just about everything I've read that he's written on this thread.  Community is definitely the most important aspect with respect to thriving in a post petroleum reality.  Murika is fucked due to this.  We don't have community, or much culture.  What culture we have is mostly Native, Mexican, and black.  Whites in Murika have anti-culture and Jeebus and that's about it.  Blacks will be cordial enough to whites, now, when BAU is operating, but I see the reality there.  At least in the south...there is a large percentage of blacks that would love to see the whites become the new niggers.  I learned while I was getting kicked out of the USN that the blacks are great under oppression.  Whites lose their fuckin' marbles under oppression, or massive hardship.  Not all whites.  I'm white.  I won't loose my marbles.  There are plenty of hard ass whites that can make it through the bottleneck.  I digress. 

Community...that's what is important for post petroleum survival.  We have no community (well with exception to the Mennonites and Amish).  The petroleum stops and Murika stops.  Lot's of people will die en masse.  How do you prepare for that?  I've come to realize that the best you can do is prepare for that eventuality psychologically.  Sure, you can do what C5 if proposing (and you should).  You should especially stock up on non-perishable foods and learn some permaculture.  As in, practice some permaculture with respect to plants, and learning to plant and care for them.  Perennials are best.  Bamboo can take care of most all of our needs.  It's an entire culture...at least it can be in a temperate climate.  It can be everything from child entertainment (children love all things bamboo...as do chickens...it's their natural habitat after all) all the way to entire buildings, and it's also food (highest protein count of any vegetable on the planet). 

I'm with RE on this.  The main problem with respect to collapse is community.  That has to happen before teotwawki.  Hippie ecovillages aren't gonna make it IMO.  They are worried about lee lines and faeries.  Zombies will be worried about feeding their broods (and themselves) come collapse.  They won't have a problem bustin' caps in asses until the caps are gone.  So whatever "community" that will survive will have to have no problem bustin' caps in asses.  This has long been my problem with the permaculture community.  They want to smoke weed and hug each other while playing guitar.  That's cool, I'm all for that, but I'm also aware of the ubiquity of guns in my anti-culture. 

One last thing, before I drop the mic and run over it with my tractor trailer. 

C5 never mentioned physical health and fitness.  I'd argue that it's more important to be able to do a lot of push ups, pull ups, and sit ups then it is to own a ladder (which a zombie crack head can steel...).  I imagine C5 has failed to mention this because when one lives the way he lives being fit just happens.  I know, I experienced it myself.  I was in the best shape of my life a couple years after resigning from the Matrix and permaculturin' it up.  Then I quit smokin' weed and started driving a truck for money.  I gained 50 pounds.  Now I've developed a flatbed trucker road work out routine.  I work out daily and often on the road.  I work out on my flatbed trailer because there is no piss on it.  Watch for me, and you'll likely see me on any given interstate rest area doing push ups and sit ups on my flatbed.  I also do pull ups on the trailer.  I've recently bought a pair of running shoes and plan to start running (when I can find places that don't smell like piss to run at). 

My point is that next to food, being in shape is of the utmost importance for survival in a post petroleum world.  Community is the most important aspect...but community is non-existent in Murika.  Community is fucked in Murika. 

Lastly, Bamboo is the most useful plant to our species on this planet.
Fitness is crucial. As said best in the much underrated Zombieland... sorry I can't embed...
! No longer available
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:58:24 PM by Eddie »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2018, 06:41:37 PM »
I'm with RE on this.  The main problem with respect to collapse is community.

I'm working on a new article on this topic.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2018, 02:37:08 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPTWlnxS18

Owwie.....owwie.......

I started the fence today. I now have a better idea of the job I face.

I am astounded at how little I accomplished.... and just how much I hurt.... Owwie...

I'll start my next round with Tylenol and codeine. This is going to be a long project. I have been using a breaker bar for starter holes. It sure helps...other than having to use a breaker bar. You can write on my epitaph, "He died on the wall" . If you dont hear from me again, you know what happened

Owwie....owwie- part two

No way to deal with this level of owwie but beer. What a difference a week makes. Instant summer. 20 Celsius... within a week. Hard working week. I reached the half way point. willowing the garden today. I have grossly  overestimated my abilities on this job. I have gone through A LOT of willow. I may face willow shortage.

C5 rule of Survival- Store more IBUPROFEN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »
Ibuprofen is a miracle drug and that's no shit.

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2018, 04:06:57 PM »
I really hated this period of music, of fake alternative music, being from the underground music scene. Still, its the go to every time I am PUSHING till it hurts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnQ-Ixnqpe8

(Re., Ill figure it out some time when my mind is not mush)

or pulling

I may have bought the tools, but EDDIE, we could use a post that is a tutorial.... of pulling teeth.... so people don't die of broken teeth or jaw bone or scull, or secondary infections.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »
I've started that one a couple of times, it gets complicated, but I don't mind giving it a go. There is one source of info (also from an old post of mine here), a link to somebody else's attempt to do what you're asking. I'll see if I can find it.

I found the site, but not sure how to search for the article. It was on the Armageddon Medicine site, which is the site of Dr. Cynthia Koelker, who is a badass teacher. I wanted to take her courses but have not gotten around to it. This article was by a dentist friend of hers. Bear with me, I'll find it. I know I read it there.

Meantime, I'll try to give you a short tutorial of my own. Might take a day or two for me to write it, but I will, since you're interested.

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2018, 04:28:59 PM »
I really hated this period of music, of fake alternative music, being from the underground music scene. Still, its the go to every time I am PUSHING till it hurts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnQ-Ixnqpe8

(Re., Ill figure it out some time when my mind is not mush)

or pulling

I may have bought the tools, but EDDIE, we could use a post that is a tutorial.... of pulling teeth.... so people don't die of broken teeth or jaw bone or scull, or secondary infections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eti_3bXFZrk

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2018, 04:37:17 PM »
Typical general practice resident in training. LOL.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2018, 07:02:13 AM »
I have to be careful about what I say and how I say it. While I am happy to impart information about how extractions are done, and how such a thing might be handled in a situation where normal services were/are not available, I can't ethically support folks taking each others bad teeth out to save money when dentists are widely available.

An extraction isn't heart surgery, and the worst case financially is usually a couple of hundred bucks. When people claim to have paid more, the fees usually involve costs of IV sedation or general anesthesia and services performed by an oral surgeon (they do charge more than GP's in most locales.) I'm not an advocate of DIY dentistry.