AuthorTopic: Diner Code of Conduct  (Read 2970 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Diner Code of Conduct
« on: April 09, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »
More conveniently referred to as the "CoC".

We recently have had yet another outburst from Diners who are not content with the way this forum is managed.  I am going to make yet another clarification on the CoC to get this tiresome and recurring problem cleared up.    ::)

1-  You need to be polite and respectful of other Diners and their attitudes and viewpoints.  Snarky comments and pictures used to ridicule others are not acceptable.

2-  The Diner forum has many different Diners with different interests and passions.  Not all are directly related to collapse, but they usually have some tangential relationship and will inspire collapse related discussion.  They also give you some relief from the daily dose of doom we get all the time here of one sort or another.  If you are not interested in Art, Stamps, Boats or Food, don't read those threads.  There is plenty of other stuff posted every day to read from WWIII to the Collapse of the Monetary System.

3-  Complaining about Censorship is a total waste of time.  Any such post will itself be pitched to the Great Beyond.  If you don't like this, tough nuggies.

4-  STICK TO THE TOPIC!  If your disagreement is about economics or geopolitics, talk about that, not what other Diners opinions are on these topics.  Don't call other Diners "stupid" or some variant of that for having a different take on it than you do.

5-  Politically speaking, the vast majority of Diners do not think Trumpovetsky is a very good POTUS.  If you are going to Stump4Trump on the Diner, other Diners will list out his many deficiencies, including but not limited to incompetence, criminal racketeering in real estate, misogyny, racism, narcissism and megalomania.  If you want to show your support for this dimwit, do it somewhere else.

6-  Diners who persistently and repeatedly violate the CoC will be put on Moderation or have their posting privileges removed.

There are of course other issues which will come up to be added to the CoC as needs require.  In the mean time, remember the words of Rodney King.

RE
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:29:44 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Diner Code of Conduct
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:17:14 AM »
A new issue has cropped up regarding making jokes in a time of Collapse.  Some Diners do not think Humor is appropriate in a Collapse situation, whereas others feel Humor is a helpful means to maintain your sanity.  It depends a lot on your underlying personality which category you fit into.  So we now have 2 new Rules for the CoC:

7-  You may not criticize other Diners either for making jokes or for being morose and humorless.

8-  You may not criticize other Diners for running threads which are tangential to collapse but are in their own area of interest.

Also, going back to the Moriarty Era...

9-  You may not brag about your own credentials in Collapse Issues without revealing your real identity and presenting evidence of your own expertiese

10  You may not present yourself as "better" or "more moral & ethical"  than other Diners.  You can however make explanations why you think your method of living is the most moral & ethical one.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 06:43:00 AM »
Is it ok to make fun of crotchety old farts for being crotchety old farts?

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 07:31:24 AM »
I object to all the new rules on the grounds they have been designed specifically to eliminate me.  I will not obey any of these rules.  This wouldn't be the first forum where I have been ejected.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »
I object to all the new rules on the grounds they have been designed specifically to eliminate me.  I will not obey any of these rules.  This wouldn't be the first forum where I have been ejected.

The world is emphatically NOT all about you, and allow me to assure you that they have not been designed with you in mind.

These rules have been in place since the days of Mking and the attempted hijacking of the Forum while a bunch of souls were at the first convocation. Mking was the person who taught us all that an untrammeled free speech zone was untenable,because some people always need to test the limits.

The rules have been enforced with a hand that has been perhaps too light, and let some ad hom go that should have been shitcanned. My preference is to stay out of the way.

Personally, I don't think arguing the point and not the man is such an onerous burden.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 07:50:23 AM »

Yes, especially if you're a crotchety-old-fart-in-the-making yourself.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »

As Surly mentions, these rules have always been in place, because for most people, they are CFS and they are how you operate IRL.  The internet however offers you a layer of anonymity  allowing you to say stuff that would IRL get you punched in the face for saying.  I am forced into writing down what should be CFS for people who seek to stretch these rules to the breaking point on a regular basis.

I am not surprised in the least that you have been ejected from other forums.  You are highly opinionated and like to attack other people for their ideas.  You think you hold the high ground of moral & ethical virtue.  On this forum however, you are currently in no danger of being banned, you are just being reminded that being an asshole on a daily basis annoys everyone. lol.

Now, you are free to ignore the rules, just as anyone is free to shoplift.  You'll probably get away with it most of the time, but you will also get caught sometimes.  You usually don't get a prison sentence for shoplifting though, just some kind of fine or slap on the wrist.  Try to get along better with your fellow Diners and not be so insulting.  Then you will get fewer wrist slaps.

RE
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:31:29 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 08:35:14 AM »

Yes, especially if you're a crotchety-old-fart-in-the-making yourself.

LD has achieved Crochety Old Fart status in Middle Age, a tremendous achievement.  He's a Prodigy.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner Code of Conduct: Grumpy Old Men
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 08:43:44 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ePRYhNNdzwk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ePRYhNNdzwk</a>
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 12:03:32 PM »

As Surly mentions, these rules have always been in place, because for most people, they are CFS and they are how you operate IRL.  The internet however offers you a layer of anonymity  allowing you to say stuff that would IRL get you punched in the face for saying.  I am forced into writing down what should be CFS for people who seek to stretch these rules to the breaking point on a regular basis.

I am not surprised in the least that you have been ejected from other forums.  You are highly opinionated and like to attack other people for their ideas.  You think you hold the high ground of moral & ethical virtue.  On this forum however, you are currently in no danger of being banned, you are just being reminded that being an asshole on a daily basis annoys everyone. lol.

Now, you are free to ignore the rules, just as anyone is free to shoplift.  You'll probably get away with it most of the time, but you will also get caught sometimes.  You usually don't get a prison sentence for shoplifting though, just some kind of fine or slap on the wrist.  Try to get along better with your fellow Diners and not be so insulting.  Then you will get fewer wrist slaps.

RE

Well said. When a diner (e.g. Palloy) is "insulted" by calls by other Diners to stop using sniping or sarcastic or cynical remarks aimed squarely at another diner, rather than at the issue being discussed, as Eddie did to Palloy when he urged Palloy to "not be such a prick", said person has ZERO grounds to moan and groan about "Ad hominem", OR, as is even more insufferable, as Eddie pointed out, the pedantic school master instructions arrogantly issued for all of us to "not be boyish". The hypocrisy is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

I do not have the patience you have, RE. However, I am grateful that you and Surly, and sometimes Eddie too! :emthup:, make it 📢 crystal clear what is acceptable discourse and what isn't. Well done. ✨  💫
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:06:31 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 12:54:25 PM »
 This is somewhat off-topic, but Iím in the hospital right now and canít get to a keyboard. Will and admin go in and identify who is spamming most of the boards, and kill that motherfucker?

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »
I think I got him. Please check.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »
This is somewhat off-topic, but Iím in the hospital right now and canít get to a keyboard. Will and admin go in and identify who is spamming most of the boards, and kill that motherfucker?

I have been napping.  I haven't seen any spam.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 02:15:21 PM »

RE

Maybe Eddie got the rest that I didnít nuke.

Offers to sell fake passports. Perfect.

You can check the admin logs for the box score.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »

RE

Maybe Eddie got the rest that I didnít nuke.

Offers to sell fake passports. Perfect.

You can check the admin logs for the box score.

I found them and got them.

Why are you in the hospital and why don't you have your laptop?  One should never get admitted to the hospital without your laptop unless it was an emergency and you were unconscious.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN