AuthorTopic: Diner Code of Conduct  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Diner Code of Conduct
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
This is somewhat off-topic, but Iím in the hospital right now and canít get to a keyboard. Will and admin go in and identify who is spamming most of the boards, and kill that motherfucker?

I have been napping.  I haven't seen any spam.

RE

Maybe Eddie got the rest that I didnít nuke.

Offers to sell fake passports. Perfect.

You can check the admin logs for the box score.

I found them and got them.

Why are you in the hospital and why don't you have your laptop?  One should never get admitted to the hospital without your laptop unless it was an emergency and you were unconscious.

RE

In the ER. Fell Yesterday, and broke my fall with my elbow. Hurt like hell, thought I can play through it, and itís just getting worse. A guy shook my hand today and I thought my arm is going to come off at the shoulder. So went to get it looked at. Itís my picture taking arm as well. Fuck me.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 03:40:25 PM »
RE: These rules have been in place since the days of Mking

I was referring to "the new rules", numbers 7 -10, which were introduced "today".
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 03:47:13 PM »

I was referring to "the new rules", numbers 7 -10, which were introduced "today".

I read those after I made my post. You may have a point. That said, both common sense and common courtesy will take you a long way.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 04:15:39 PM »

As I said in the OP:

There are of course other issues which will come up to be added to the CoC as needs require.

You demonstrated the need for additional rules, so I added them.  I'll add another rule here.

11-  It is against the rules to complain about the rules.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 04:21:38 PM »
This is somewhat off-topic, but Iím in the hospital right now and canít get to a keyboard. Will and admin go in and identify who is spamming most of the boards, and kill that motherfucker?

I have been napping.  I haven't seen any spam.

RE

Maybe Eddie got the rest that I didnít nuke.

Offers to sell fake passports. Perfect.

You can check the admin logs for the box score.

I found them and got them.

Why are you in the hospital and why don't you have your laptop?  One should never get admitted to the hospital without your laptop unless it was an emergency and you were unconscious.

RE

In the ER. Fell Yesterday, and broke my fall with my elbow. Hurt like hell, thought I can play through it, and itís just getting worse. A guy shook my hand today and I thought my arm is going to come off at the shoulder. So went to get it looked at. Itís my picture taking arm as well. Fuck me.

So you were home between the time you fell and took yourself to the ER.  Never head for the ER without your laptop!  Or at least a folding keyboard and bluetooth mouse for your smart phone.

Let us know the outcome here of this disaster.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 04:29:32 PM »
Is it ok to make fun of crotchety old farts for being crotchety old farts?

Yes, especially if you're a crotchety-old-fart-in-the-making yourself.

LD has achieved Crochety Old Fart status in Middle Age, a tremendous achievement.  He's a Prodigy.

RE

Well for some reason it feels like an honor coming from you, the head crotchety old fart in charge.  I consider this to be one of my most endearing achievements to date.  What does this mean for my future?  I mean, if I'm already a crotchety old fart at 38, what could I possibly achieve by the time I'm actually an old man? 

Master of cynicism? 

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 04:33:50 PM »
Is it ok to make fun of crotchety old farts for being crotchety old farts?

Yes, especially if you're a crotchety-old-fart-in-the-making yourself.

LD has achieved Crochety Old Fart status in Middle Age, a tremendous achievement.  He's a Prodigy.

RE

Well for some reason it feels like an honor coming from you, the head crotchety old fart in charge.  I consider this to be one of my most endearing achievements to date.  What does this mean for my future?  I mean, if I'm already a crotchety old fart at 38, what could I possibly achieve by the time I'm actually an old man? 

Master of cynicism?

Crotchety Buddhahood.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Diner Code of Conduct: Rule 12
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 04:40:56 PM »
12-  It is a violation of the CoC to blame an individual Diner for the aggregate behavior of the nation he/she lives in.  This includes but is not limited to energy consumption or political leadership.  Individual Diners may only be held accountable for their own personal choices and lifestyle.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 04:53:49 PM »

Crotchety Buddhahood.

RE

Nice!  I shall aspire to reach Crotchety Buddhahood than. 

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2018, 05:09:17 PM »
Sorry to hear about your arm, Surly. I had a long day of work in the OR and then had to drive to the farm. Been out all day.

I'd hate to see Palloy leave the site. I often don't see things his way, but I think he makes a very valuable contribution.

I do wonder if he's deliberately being a jerk so he can get kicked off and then feel justified to himself that he was somehow mistreated and got the shaft. I think it's likely. "Justify" and "Lay Blame" are two of his favorite games.

He gives me an awful lot of unsolicited advice and a boatload of criticism about how I should live my life  and what my form of political action should be....for someone who is himself a reclusive ex-pat who has withdrawn from his own prior activism in order to live in a place he thinks is a good one to hunker down and wait for collapse. I see a lot of irony there, frankly.

Just like several other Diner denizens, he's a big talker online. There are no consequences, so why not? I never say anything online I would not say to someone's face, or make idle threats. It'd be a waste of time. So....he can do and say what he wants. I'll put him on ignore and do him the favor of not commenting on his threads, which I'm sure he'd prefer.

Let him post his RT stuff and write about how imminent WWIII is, or a stock market crash, or any of the other big collapse events he sees coming tomorrow and next week. I can't get too excited, because I know he is eaten up with confirmation bias and he does it because he's afraid he'll die of old age before the evil empire collapses.

I wish him good luck. I expect some of us will live to see some of those things happen, but I'm not bullshitting myself that any of us can call the timing on it. And I'll set my own course, thank you.

The collapse world is full of people who think, like Palloy, that we should all abandon BAU and...I don't know, maybe squat somewhere in an abandoned building and panhandle maybe? Plant our gardens on the right-of-way of the Interstate? I'm not sure, but every one of them is up to his or her neck in self-righteousness, and the hypocrisy is usually not to hard to find if you look closely.

Everybody has a life of some kind, and it's theirs to live. I don't tell other people how to live their lives, and I don't mind telling assholes who want to tell me how to live mine to fuck off.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »
RE: Rule 12

12-  It is a violation of the CoC to blame an individual Diner for the aggregate behavior of the nation he/she lives in.  This includes but is not limited to energy consumption or political leadership.  Individual Diners may only be held accountable for their own personal choices and lifestyle.

There, that's the way to win an argument - make the other's POV a violation of the CoC.
If Diners are not to be held accountable for the Government of their country, when they took part in voting it in and have accepted the result, then you have just relieved yourself of a ton of criticism without having to argue a word.  This is a solution for the cognitively bias, that allows them to remain in their virtual reality.

For the record, I object to Rules 7 - 12, including Rule 11 which wasn't promulgated.  The whole site has become a farce.

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
The whole site has become a farce.

No, it has not become a farce.  It's just that nobody happens to agree with you.  But then most of us disagree on most things.  All of us agree on some things.  I'm sure even you agree with someone on something.

I disagree with you on ww3 and that this site has become a farce.  This site is what it has always been.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »
I didn't ask for the rule. My reply to AG was in a way a rebuke to myself for bothering to reply at all. I can simply not post to it easily enough. Better things to do. Wood to split, seeds to start to paraphrase someone else.
Cheers David B.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 06:47:21 PM »
LD: This site is what it has always been.

No, it has changed a lot, particularly the attitude about censorship.
Go back to the Guerilla Internet Free Speech thread and the gems by RE:

"You CANNOT let your POWER as ADMIN prevent the free flow of ideas. It is UNACCEPTABLE."

"I cannot possibly accept the idea of Censorship here, the whole reason for the Diner's existence was because *I* have been Censored so many times before."

Now censorship is being achieved by the CoC Rules, which RE is making up and applying on the fly.  It is UNACCEPTABLE.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 07:31:55 PM »
The whole site has become a farce.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but if that is your opinion why do you bother wasting time participating on the forum?  ???   :icon_scratch:

We managed for many years without an "official" CoC, just by using CFS and generally good manners.  I am now forced to write down rules because some folks do not have CFS and/or good manners.

Blaming Diners for being an Amerikan who drives a car for all the ills of the world is ridiculous and tiresome.  So is blaming all Canadians for digging up tar sands.  So is blaming all Muslims for being Terrorists.  Lumping people together in gross generalizations like this is a logical fallacy.

If you are going to continue to waste your time on a forum which has become a "farce", then I suggest you follow the "stick to the topic" rule on the topics which concern you.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN