AuthorTopic: The Test for Survival  (Read 304 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Test for Survival
« on: April 10, 2018, 03:28:37 PM »
Nope. I do not remember what you wrote about that, if I ever read it.

It's pretty brutal tribal eugenics.

In my own spiritual beliefs, I don't believe infants are imbued with a spirit from the Great Beyond until that meat package has shown itself to be physically strong enough, not before the 2nd year.  If the tribe has a child that is not healthy, you send it back to the Great Beyond  You can also send infants back to the Great Beyond if it is a time of famine and you can't properly feed it.

Surviving male children when they reach puberty are sent out into the wilderness alone in the spring with just the basics, a knife, fire making equipment, one week-one month of food and whatever clothing and sleeping blankets they can fit in a pack basket, which they have to make themselves.  They are not allowed to return until the following spring to the tribe.  Every adolescent male must undergo the Test for Survival regardless of who they were born to, a chief's wife or a lowly gatherer.  All get the same survival training through childhood from the same teachers.  The ones who return alive are the ones who will continue the next generation of the tribe.

At the end of life, elderly people can be useful as both Elder Council members if they are still well respected, Medicine Men, or Child Minders, as all children are raised communally, not by individual families.  However if they can no longer do even these tasks due to infirmity, like the infants they are left to die or dispatched to the Great Beyond in a fast manner, with great celebration of that person's life and contribution to the tribe.  They have become a burden to the tribe after that though, so it is time to go the Great Beyond and then seek a new meat package for another go round in most cases.  A few may have achieved enough experience and knowledge in their trips through corporeal life though to remain in the Great Beyond and travel the Multiverse as Watchers, who can help any incipient coporeal life on any planet anywhere to get going into Sapience.

All together, these rules will limit total reproduction of Homo Sap to what the planet Earth can afford to support.

The Watcher

RE

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 05:08:05 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: The Test for Survival
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 04:33:50 PM »
It's the same for non-endemic species in the rainforest round here.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:03:49 PM »
Nope. I do not remember what you wrote about that, if I ever read it.

It's pretty brutal tribal eugenics.

In my own spiritual beliefs, I don't believe infants are imbued with a spirit from the Great Beyond until that meat package has shown itself to be physically strong enough, not before the 2nd year.  If the tribe has a child that is not healthy, you send it back to the Great Beyond  You can also send infants back to the Great Beyond if it is a time of famine and you can't properly feed it.

Surviving male children when they reach puberty are sent out into the wilderness alone in the spring with just the basics, a knife, fire making equipment, one week-one month of food and whatever clothing and sleeping blankets they can fit in a pack basket, which they have to make themselves.  They are not allowed to return until the following spring to the tribe.  Every adolescent male must undergo the Test for Survival regardless of who they were born to, a chief's wife or a lowly gatherer.  All get the same survival training through childhood from the same teachers.  The ones who return alive are the ones who will continue the next generation of the tribe.

At the end of life, elderly people can be useful as both Elder Council members if they are still well respected, Medicine Men, or Child Minders, as all children are raised communally, not by individual families.  However if they can no longer do even these tasks due to infirmity, like the infants they are left to die or dispatched to the Great Beyond in a fast manner, with great celebration of that person's life and contribution to the tribe.  They have become a burden to the tribe after that though, so it is time to go the Great Beyond and then seek a new meat package for another go round in most cases.  A few may have achieved enough experience and knowledge in their trips through corporeal life though to remain in the Great Beyond and travel the Multiverse as Watchers, who can help any incipient coporeal life on any planet anywhere to get going into Sapience.

All together, these rules will limit total reproduction of Homo Sap to what the planet Earth can afford to support.

The Watcher

RE
[/quote}

As long as we have the basics of medicine, meaning aseptic surgery and the ability to give blood, and do some very basic diagnostic work, we won't go back quite that far, I don't think. Horse and buggy world. Horse and buggy medicine.

Obviously people with chronic conditions will be shit outa luck. No insulin. No digoxin. No blood pressure meds for me. I might be able to drop my meds if I went full exercise junkie like I was 10 years ago, but you can't exercise your way out of diabetes. Mild diabetics might survive with a really strict diet.

In a collapse back to bronze age conditions, what you wrote (I don't think I ever read that) would be sensible. Let's hope to keep some care going for a while. Admittedly, working on teeth after collapse will be hard. Losing the drugs will be the worst thing. Anesthetics. Maybe I should move to Peru. (Cocaine as a dental anesthetic is risky. Patients like it, but way too many of them die. That's why it fell out of favor.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 08:16:56 PM »
As long as we have the basics of medicine, meaning aseptic surgery and the ability to give blood, and do some very basic diagnostic work, we won't go back quite that far, I don't think. Horse and buggy world. Horse and buggy medicine.

Obviously people with chronic conditions will be shit outa luck. No insulin. No digoxin. No blood pressure meds for me. I might be able to drop my meds if I went full exercise junkie like I was 10 years ago, but you can't exercise your way out of diabetes. Mild diabetics might survive with a really strict diet.

In a collapse back to bronze age conditions, what you wrote (I don't think I ever read that) would be sensible. Let's hope to keep some care going for a while. Admittedly, working on teeth after collapse will be hard. Losing the drugs will be the worst thing. Anesthetics. Maybe I should move to Peru. (Cocaine as a dental anesthetic is risky. Patients like it, but way too many of them die. That's why it fell out of favor.

I didn't say anything about doing basic medicine in this to help keep people alive through  the middle stages of life.  Some of that still possible, fixing broken bones for instance, removing bullets (probably a common problem for a while) and some basic surgeries like appendectomies.  Dentistry probably limited to cleaning & pulling teeth.  Midwifery and assisting in childbirth still possible.  C-section might even be possible.

Anaesthetic is a problem, but you can use chloroform as they did in the Civil War when amputating a limb.  There are plants you could grow hydroponically as well that provide the precursors for pretty powerful drugs.  Some drugs like digitalis are naturally occuring in Foxglove.

My Test for Survival system is about how you deal with the beginning and end stages of life, who gets to live and when it is time to die.  In the Middle Stage of life after puberty, it is about who gets to reproduce and who does not, and provides a fair chance for every adolescent to make it through the Gauntlet.  For males, another option might be they could choose castration rather than taking their chances out in the wilderness for a year.  In this case they can live out their own lives in tribe, doing whatever it is they do to help the tribe as a whole.  Females have their own Test for Survival.  It is called childbirth.  Many more of them will die in childbirth in the post-collapse world.

RE
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 08:36:10 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 02:32:08 AM »
I split this thread off and moved it to the Medicine & Health board.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN