AuthorTopic: 🌶️ Too Hot to Handle?  (Read 387 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🌶️ Too Hot to Handle?
« on: April 15, 2018, 04:23:33 PM »
Back in the daze I could actually EAT and not just fantasize about eating, I really loved spicy foods of all kinds.  I developed my taste for Spicy Foods in Brazil as a kid, adding "Pimiento" 🌶️ to my Feijoada Dinner.  Pimiento was just hot peppers🌶️ in a bottle filled also with Oil & Vinegar to extract the capsascin, whici is what makes Hot Peppers🌶️ HOT.

After that, I got turned on to HOT Chili and HOT Szechuan Chinese food.  HOT Cajun recipes too!  In fact for a while in my eating years, no food could be too spicy.

Apparently other people like super hot foods, so in search of customers some farmers have bred up even MOAR SPICY Hot Peppers🌶️.  The latest breed ranked highest on the Scoville Heat Units Scale @ 2.2M Scoville Heat Units is the "Carolina Reaper".  This is about 100X hotter compared to a Jalapeno Pepper and 10X hotter than a Habanero Pepper.  :o

Now, I cannot really see a need for a pepper THAT hot.  Habaneros are so hot if you add more than one to your Chili you shoot flames out of your mouth like a dragon.  Why do you need a Carolina Reaper? ???  :icon_scratch:

Apparently though, some Darwin Award candidates have tried to eat Carolina Reapers raw and whole, causing a variety of medical problems. ::)

RE

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/maker-of-worlds-hottest-pepper-on-the-defensive-after-pepper-hospitalizes-man

Maker of world's hottest pepper on the defensive after pepper hospitalized man
Justin Boggs
2:40 PM, Apr 15, 2018
38 mins ago

Copyright 2018 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

A maker of the Carolina reaper hot pepper is defending distributing the pepper after a man became hospitalized from eating the pepper, the UK's Sky News reported.

The Carolina reaper was named the world's hottest pepper last year by the Guinness Book of World Records. The pepper is rated at 2.2 million Scoville heat units. By comparison, a jalapeno is rated up to 8,000 Scoville heat units. A habanero is rated up to 300,000 Scoville heat units.
ADVERTISING

An article in last week's British Medical Journal claimed that a 34-year-old man was hospitalized for eating the pepper during a hot pepper eating contest. The man experienced "thunderclap" headaches, The report also claimed the man's arteries had constricted after consuming the pepper.

But Salvatore Genovese, a grower and distributor of the Carolina reaper, said the pepper should be eaten "correctly," according to the Sky News. 

"It's not really designed to... just plonk it in your mouth and eat it," Genovese said. "I would never do that and I wouldn't recommend it.

"Just cook with it, make a curry, infuse it slowly take it out if you want to afterwards, and get the rich flavors from that super-hot chili."

Genovese told Sky News he sold nearly 500,000 over the last few years without hearing any complaints.

The unidentified 34-year-old man showed normal health five weeks after eating the pepper.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:27:35 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN