AuthorTopic: The Jack Alpert Archive  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: The Jack Alpert Archive
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2018, 05:23:33 PM »
What's the margin of error for this kind of prediction?  2040-2075 sounds about right to me

I'm assuming you are talking about Peak Oil.  While the End Of Oil would be about 2040-2075, the oil corps can't withstand a decrease in oil production except by taking on debt, and no one will lend to corps that have no long-term future. So one day you will wake up and hear on the radio that Exxon and the rest have gone BK, the banks and funds that already lent to them have gone BK, and S&P says "Sorry, they weren't AAA after all."  This could be tomorrow.  Global Warming cannot be that quick.

Our dilemma is what should we do about that, if anything.

Burn down Exxon's HQ and paint a slogan on the wall "Peak Oil is real". Every TV camera will put it on the news.
Or carry on amusing yourselves with trivia because "collapse is boring".

"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2018, 07:30:31 PM »
What's the margin of error for this kind of prediction?  2040-2075 sounds about right to me

I'm assuming you are talking about Peak Oil.  While the End Of Oil would be about 2040-2075, the oil corps can't withstand a decrease in oil production except by taking on debt, and no one will lend to corps that have no long-term future. So one day you will wake up and hear on the radio that Exxon and the rest have gone BK, the banks and funds that already lent to them have gone BK, and S&P says "Sorry, they weren't AAA after all."  This could be tomorrow.  Global Warming cannot be that quick.

Our dilemma is what should we do about that, if anything.

Burn down Exxon's HQ and paint a slogan on the wall "Peak Oil is real". Every TV camera will put it on the news.

I understand the way credit collapse works. But I also understand how bailouts and huge subsidies work. It won't be tomorrow, or even in two years. Maybe ten or twenty. The game of musical chairs has a while to play out yet.

Boring isn't really the right word. More like excruciating.

You have no basis to judge what I do or don't do to pass my time. You go tilt against the windmills if you think it's a good idea.

Trying to incite people to commit violent acts via an internet forum such as this could be construed as a terrorist act in the current circumstances. You might feel you're safe where you are, but you should consider your comments more carefully. The rest of us live in the heart of the empire.

At some point, the oceans will stop being the heat sink that keeps climate change from killing us, and after that, things will happen pretty fast, I expect. I don't think that is coming next week either, but it won't be too long, I don't think.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2018, 08:16:36 PM »

How come you are not out there lighting matches?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »
I can't fathom you lot.  There's no point in lighting matches here, but there is there in the US.  If you don't like my suggestions, argue for something better.

Eddie: You have no basis to judge what I do or don't do to pass my time.

No basis? You choose to go on a doom site, then say financial collapse is ten or twenty years away, with no evidence, and continue playing at Diner TV Sit Com, and reviewing yachts you will never buy.  This is farce.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »
This is farce.

I suggest you start your own non-farce Collapse Website on a Ruskie server rather than continuing to complain about us.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 04:17:56 AM »
I can't fathom you lot.  There's no point in lighting matches here, but there is there in the US.  If you don't like my suggestions, argue for something better.

No basis? You choose to go on a doom site, then say financial collapse is ten or twenty years away, with no evidence, and continue playing at Diner TV Sit Com, and reviewing yachts you will never buy.  This is farce.

Did you come here thinking you could incite us to violence by remote control?  Or to criticize me for dreaming of a different life? Some people dream things into their existence and some people light fires to take things out of their existence. I am not a starter of fires, especially when it's senseless and self-destructive behavior that benefits no one. You aren't a starter of fires either. Just a pissed off old man.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 05:36:26 AM »

Did you come here thinking you could incite us to violence by remote control?  Or to criticize me for dreaming of a different life? Some people dream things into their existence and some people light fires to take things out of their existence. I am not a starter of fires, especially when it's senseless and self-destructive behavior that benefits no one. You aren't a starter of fires either. Just a pissed off old man.

Nothing wrong with being a pised off old man, except when you tell other pissed off old men they should set banks on fire when you're not doing it yourself. lol.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 06:24:50 AM »
Even joking about such things online is quite dangerous now, and it shouldn't be condoned on the Diner. Let the monkeywrenchers foment their particular brand of protest elsewhere. Using encryption, preferably. Not here.  I pay attention. That's the first time I ever heard someone advocate for violence here. If it happened before, it was before my time. I don't like it, because it's thoughtless and stupid.

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 07:32:13 AM »
Eddie: Let the monkeywrenchers foment their particular brand of protest elsewhere.

Oh yes, don't let us get involved in revolution.  They could put you in jail for that, and that would never do.  We want to carry on living comfortably with the Empire staying exactly the same for 20 years or more. We don't care about the rest of the world.

Palloy:  If you don't like my suggestions, argue for something better.

I upgraded DD to be https:// , and nobody except me used it.  I created an encrypted mail system and offered it to you all and not one person took it up.  The only excuse offered was that "we have nothing to hide", because you always intended to do nothing, because you happy with the way things are and fuck everybody else in the world. 

Eddie: Did you come here thinking you could incite us to violence by remote control?  Or to criticize me for dreaming of a different life?

Not by remote control, but by rational argument.  It's way past the point of being able to dream of a different life.  You've got imminent war coming up in Iran and Korea, as well as Afghanistan, Iraq, Yemen. Honduras, Venezuela. China and Russia are ready to break away from the USD and stick to their own continent. Israel is champing at the bit to start a war.  And you ... want to dream of a different life.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 08:20:08 AM »
None of us here has the power to change any of the bad things that are about to happen. All we can do is maybe prep a little and try to get ready to make a move if and when it becomes sensible to do it.

The window of opportunity has closed, I believe. Chaotic change is baked into the cake now. If we couldn't get a consensus to make the necessary changes in the 1970's when we were a lot closer than we are now, the likelihood of it happening now is vanishingly small.

If you want to play Lenin, head on over to reddit and preach revolution to the disenfranchised young people looking to break windows. Maybe they want to play internet games about revolution. I don't want this site shut down and RE and Surly and me to paint a target on our chests, while you broadcast from the jungle, Commandante Palloy.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2018, 12:29:35 PM »

Oh yes, don't let us get involved in revolution.  They could put you in jail for that, and that would never do.  We want to carry on living comfortably with the Empire staying exactly the same for 20 years or more. We don't care about the rest of the world.

PY, you are so full of shit your eyes are brown.  When was the last time you put on your Black Pajamas and mask and went out breaking bank windows?  You're just a pissed off old guy like the rest of us with the only difference you are sweating your balls off in the tropical rainforest battling Pythons looking to make a meal out of your chooks.  Besides that like me you battle your own health problems, but you don't even write any Revolutionary incediary blogs to rev up the masses.  Precisely how is it that you are so much better than the rest of us?

I upgraded DD to be https:// , and nobody except me used it.  I created an encrypted mail system and offered it to you all and not one person took it up.  The only excuse offered was that "we have nothing to hide", because you always intended to do nothing, because you happy with the way things are and fuck everybody else in the world.

I hate to break it to you PY, but putting DD on https doesn't do jack shit to increase the security here.  SMF is so full of holes a reasonably bright 6th grade Gamer could hack into it.  The NSA can access via https just like we can, and nobody here is using the PM system for secure communications or financial transactions.  The Blog is meant for anyone at all to read, why does that need to be secure other than to try and keep out spammers, which is more a problem with holes in Wordpress which you quit on fixing.

If you don't want to start your own Revolutionary Blog on a Secure Ruskie Server like I suggested, Eddie's suggestion of starting your own Reddit Sub is an EZ alternative.  Call it r/Revolt_TODAY.  I have almost 1100 subscribers now to r/globalcollapse.  Let me know when you catch up.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2018, 03:49:44 PM »
PY, you are so full of shit your eyes are brown

Insults, from someone empty of shit.

When was the last time you put on your Black Pajamas and mask and went out breaking bank windows?

Finger-pointing.  Does it make any difference in what I do to what YOU do?

... you don't even write any Revolutionary incediary blogs to rev up the masses.

There are enough incendiary blogs around for the masses, and they don't appear to be working.  I am trying to rev up Diners, who ought to be the most revolutionary group around, but here you are saying you are bored with Doom and don't want to change your rotten government because you can't think of how.  I gave you a list of 10 things you could do to get started and was told by you to go away and do it somewhere else.

Precisely how is it that you are so much better than the rest of us?

I never claimed that. It is all in your own mind how you view your own efforts. I'm just trying to be your conscience, pricking you because you claim it is all pointless/hopeless.  If I wasn't right, it wouldn't make you feel so uncomfortable.

... nobody here is using the PM system for secure communications or financial transactions. 

The only NSA-proof encryption we have access to is GPG4USB. You were the only person to even set it up, and you lost your keys 3 times.
Obviously serious revolution planning needs a different set of tools from a public website.  If you trust ASO with the keys, then a group can communicate using email and Reply All. If you don't trust ASO (and why should you when they operate in the US and are subject to US law), you could run your own mail server.  But you are not interested because you spend all your time playing silly SitCom games.

Your post is so full of concentrated shit your eyes are brown.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2018, 04:40:07 PM »

Finger-pointing.  Does it make any difference in what I do to what YOU do?

Newz Flash.  You started the Finger Pointing, and yes it makes a difference.  If you were out there manning the ramparts and burning banks I would have more respect for what you are writing here.  As it is, it is complete bullshit.

I gave you a list of 10 things you could do to get started and was told by you to go away and do it somewhere else.

They are 10 things YOU can do.  Get started.  ::)

Quote from: RE
Precisely how is it that you are so much better than the rest of us?
Quote from: Palloy
If I wasn't right, it wouldn't make you feel so uncomfortable.

I am not the least bit uncomfortable.  YOU are the uncomfortable one inhabiting a blog & forum you consider a "farce".  I think it is a great place!  :icon_sunny:

Obviously serious revolution planning needs a different set of tools from a public website.

No shit Sherlock, but YOU are the one interested in "Serious Revolution Planning", not me.  I chronicle Collapse, I don't have any pretense at being some kind of Revolutionary Che Guevara.  Go for it.  It's what YOU want to do.

RE
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:04:04 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN