AuthorTopic: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Global Quakes  (Read 74878 times)

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Did N. Sumatra earthquakes set off a chain-reaction?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
Peter I don't think your approach is crazy at all and use it myself all the time.  We are often told and trained not to trust our intuition.  Historically the priests and the church have acted as a proxy between us and God, when in fact we all have a direct connection because, as you rightly say, separation is illusion and everything is connected.  Of course this technique has been used to control the masses.  In this regard we might consider science and scientists the priests of our time.

I also have been fond of the macro/micro similarities you expressed in the previous post where the universe can be likened to a set of Babuschka dolls (which reanteban just posted an image of over in the welcome thread) or infinite levels of fractals.  I'm sure you're familiar with quantum entanglement?

http://phys.org/news108217803.html

Or non-locality?

http://www.fdavidpeat.com/bibliography/essays/nat-cog.htm
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:01:03 PM by EndIsNigh »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Will Sumatra Detonate Yellowstone?
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »
Japan sits on the intersection of three major techtonic plates.  When Mt. Fuji starts blowing, Japan is fooked.

I don't think the FSofA will do much better when Yellowstone blows.  Looking at the Quake map, it looks like Yellowstone got jolted with a 6.9.  I gotta try to get Stormbringer back in the posting.  We co-hosted the Geological & Cosmological Event Watch thread on Peak Oil when Yellowstone was shaking like a leaf back in 2009.

Could be time to get my mobile reporting gear on here!

For those of you who missed it, make sure you go read the Geotectonic Heat Transfer Theory Feature article over in the Blog.

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2012/04/02/geotectonic-ocean-heat-transfer-theory/

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Global Quakes
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 11:41:38 AM »
RE,

I sometimes check a blog (Money Matters) to see if the writer has any posts on seismic activity.  I don't usually read the other stuff she writes about cuz she appears to be a little kooky.  Anyway, if you get a chance, can you take a look at:

Small Earthquake At San Jacinto/San Andreas Intersection Bodes Ill

and let me know if you think she knows the subject matter very well?

just my straight shooting honest opinion

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »
I think this post has more of her own analysis/conclusions:

Amasia: All Continents Are Moving Towards The Arctic

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
RE,

I sometimes check a blog (Money Matters) to see if the writer has any posts on seismic activity.  I don't usually read the other stuff she writes about cuz she appears to be a little kooky.  Anyway, if you get a chance, can you take a look at:

Small Earthquake At San Jacinto/San Andreas Intersection Bodes Ill

and let me know if you think she knows the subject matter very well?

Based on just reading this one post, what I think is that she is a dedicated Amateur who is very concerned about quakes in her neighborhood and who has been boning up for a while on the geology surrounding the San Andreas Fault.

She's mostly commenting on information she is collecting from other sources and then posting up her thoughts on the stupidity of building in these neighborhoods etc, but she is not the original source of the information herself, she is an Information Collector & Distributor, which is an important type of Blogger.  For any of us to go and collect up all the details on any one subject is a time consuming thing, and when a given Blogger has a particular focus and collects the information and publishes it in consolidated form, that makes researching that topic for the rest of us a lot easier.

I do some Information Consolidation here in the Diner, and so of course do all the rest of you participating in the Forum.  Mainly though I'm an analytical Blogger insofar as my Blogging is concerned, I am notorious for not doing any real research and just setting up my arguments from first principles.  ::)  However, I'm not even really a natural Blogger at all, I am a Debater mostly, I like to write in dialogue with others and my Blog posts almost always come from out of control long responses to questions raised in a debate I am having with somebody.

Anyhow, on the original question here of her expertiese, I would say she is a good source of information for quakes going on in her neighborhood, I don't get from this one article that she has written on other quake action around the world.  Perhaps she has written other ones dissecting the Sendai Quake and so forth, in which case her knowledge base would be better.

She doesn't write like she has training as a Geologist, but that is not really that meaningful because if you are motivated and intelligent, you can teach yourself a lot of stuff and not be encumbered by the conventional wisdom of any given field, so I like to read what dedicated amateurs write as much or more than what the Ph.Ds write on these subjects.

One thing is for sure is that the San Andreas is a Clusterfuck waiting to happen with all the geological activity going on these days.  She seems to have her eyeballs trained on that one, so she could be a good source seeing what others who look more generally do not.  she may be able to put the pieces together on various smaller quakes surrounding the San Andreas that will lead to the BIG ONE.  Not that I think she could predict the day and time the Big One will occur, nobody can do that not even the Ph.Ds at the USGS with all the seismos at their fingertips and supercomputers to do the modelling can do that.  However, if she annotates her quakes and detects a pattern that the supercomputers are not programmed to detect, she might find something that gives a window into a timespan for the Big One to occur.  Overall, the Human Brain still remains better at detecting patterns than even the best AI, although because Supercomputers crunch the numbers better they overall are better with most predictions.

I keep my Equake3D program open most of the day while I am at work, and have a look each day at the Global Quakes occuring in graphical format.  Other than the fact that the Pacific Plate and the Ring of Fire seem to be relieving most of the stress and the fact the size of the circles which denote the magnitude of the quakes are overall larger than they were 3 years ago when I loaded the program and started watching this, I can't detect too much of a pattern here.  The biggest ones to occur so far were in Japan and Chile at opposite ends of the Pacific Plate.  So far relative to thsoe quakes, the San Andreas remains a Sleeping Giant.  When it goes though, and go it will, its going to be a fucking BIG ONE.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
RE - Thanks for checking this out.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:02:29 PM by JoeP »

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:24 AM »
"Sitting on a landmine: The huge eruptions of the super-volcano under Yellowstone could be more frequent than scientists thought"

Researchers at Washington State University and the Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre say the biggest Yellowstone eruption, which created the 2 million year old Huckleberry Ridge deposit, was actually two different eruptions at least 6,000 years apart.

‘The Yellowstone volcano’s previous behavior is the best guide of what it will do in the future,’ says Ben Ellis, co-author and post-doctoral researcher at Washington State University’s School of the Environment.

‘This research suggests explosive volcanism from Yellowstone is more frequent than previously thought.’

complete story here...

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
"Sitting on a landmine: The huge eruptions of the super-volcano under Yellowstone could be more frequent than scientists thought"

Researchers at Washington State University and the Scottish Universities Environmental Research Centre say the biggest Yellowstone eruption, which created the 2 million year old Huckleberry Ridge deposit, was actually two different eruptions at least 6,000 years apart.

‘The Yellowstone volcano’s previous behavior is the best guide of what it will do in the future,’ says Ben Ellis, co-author and post-doctoral researcher at Washington State University’s School of the Environment.

‘This research suggests explosive volcanism from Yellowstone is more frequent than previously thought.’

complete story here...

FIRE IN THE HOLE![/]

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Italy Shaking
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »
Battered region of northern Italy rocked again by quake

Latest tremor leaves 14 dead, hundreds injured

Mirandola, in northern Italy, was the epicenter Tuesday of the 5.8-magnitude earthquake, and many buildings crumbled. (Marco Vasini/associated press)

By Elisabetta Povoledo
 New York Times / May 30, 2012

Less than 10 days after an earthquake devastated the Emilia-Romagna region of northern Italy, a 5.8-magnitude tremor shook the area Tuesday morning, killing at least 15 people, Italian news agencies reported. The latest earthquake destroyed more buildings and once again tested the fortitude of an already unsettled population.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Malibu Vibrates
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
Preshock for the Big One in the City of Angels?
RE

Magnitude-4.0 earthquake shakes Southern California coast off Malibu

By Associated Press,

MALIBU, Calif. — A small earthquake has jolted the Southern California coast but there are no reports of damages or injuries.

The U.S. Geological Survey says in a preliminary report that the magnitude-4.0 quake struck in the Channel Islands region at 10:14 p.m. Tuesday.

The USGS says the earthquake was centered 30 miles southwest of Malibu and was felt throughout the Los Angeles area, especially in West LA, Santa Monica and the San Fernando Valley.

Sheriff’s and fire officials say there are no reports of damages or injuries from the quake, and the Los Angeles Fire Department is not in earthquake mode.

Brandon David Wilson, a school teacher who lives in the Culver City area, said on Twitter that he felt the earthquake, but it was “just a sharp jolt. No big whoop.”
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 01:32:18 AM »
Las Vegas becoming ocean front property tonight it one circumstance where I would embrace your deflation theory in a heartbeat.    :laugh:      ::)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Malibu Vibrates
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 06:04:34 AM »
Preshock for the Big One in the City of Angels?
RE

//

Brandon David Wilson, a school teacher who lives in the Culver City area, said on Twitter that he felt the earthquake, but it was “just a sharp jolt. No big whoop.”

File this one under "famous last words."
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline JoeP

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »
More on Yellowstone:

Supervolcanoes with power to 'destroy civilisation' explode far more rapidly than scientists had believed - and one could be bubbling under U.S. right now

The news could be bad for the US, where a supervolcano is said to be simmering beneath Yellowstone National Park. If it erupted, two thirds of the country could be rendered uninhabitable.

Lead scientist Dr Guilherme Gualda, from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, said: ‘Our study suggests that when these exceptionally large magma pools form they are ephemeral and cannot exist very long without erupting.

‘The fact that the process of magma body formation occurs in historical time, instead of geological time, completely changes the nature of the problem.’

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Earthquakes since 1898
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
With fault lines lit up like a Christmas tree. Plenty of activity up your way, RE.

More: http://www.ouramazingplanet.com/3114-world-earthquakes-map.html

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On- SoCal Quake Swarm
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
Magnitude-5.3 quake, dozens of smaller shocks rattle Imperial, San Diego counties in Calif.

By Associated Press, Updated: Sunday, August 26, 3:40 PM

SAN DIEGO — Dozens of small to moderate earthquakes rattled Southern California on Sunday, shaking an area from rural Imperial County to the San Diego coast and north into the Coachella Valley.

The largest quake, magnitude 5.3, struck at 12:31 p.m. about three miles north-northwest of the small Imperial County farming town of Brawley, according to Paul Caruso, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey. It was followed minutes later by a magnitude-4.9 quake.

The first quake had a magnitude of 3.9 and hit at 10:02 a.m. It was followed by a smaller quake about 90 seconds later in the same area near the southern end of the Salton Sea, and other smaller quakes followed within six minutes of the first shock.

Several glasses and a bottle of wine crashed to the floor and shattered at Assaggio, an Italian restaurant in Brawley, said owner Jerry Ma. The shaking was short-lived but intense, he said.

“It felt like there was quake every 15 minutes. One after another. My kids are small and they’re scared and don’t want to come back inside,” said Mike Patel, who manages Townhouse Inn & Suites in Brawley. A TV came crashing down and a few light fixtures broke inside the motel, Patel said.

A Brawley Police Department dispatcher said several downtown buildings sustained minor damage. No injuries were reported.

The USGS said more than 100 aftershocks struck the same approximate epicenter, about 16 miles north of El Centro. Some shaking was felt along the San Diego County coast in Del Mar, some 120 miles from the epicenter, as well as in the Coachella Valley, southern Orange County and parts of northern Mexico.

USGS seismologist Lucy Jones said earthquake swarms are characteristic of the region, known as the Brawley Seismic Zone.

“The area sees lots of events at once, with many close to the largest magnitude, rather than one main shock with several much smaller aftershocks,” Jones said.

The last major swarm was in 2005, following a magnitude-5.1 quake, she said.

Scientists weren’t yet sure what fault Sunday’s quake cluster was on, but it was near the 800-mile San Andreas Fault, Caruso said.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Save As Many As You Can