AuthorTopic: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Global Quakes  (Read 74935 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: ⛰️ Quake Update: New Year's Eve Aftershock
« Reply #435 on: December 31, 2018, 07:23:36 PM »
We just had another big one, about 2 minutes ago.  I'll estimate this one in the 5s, maybe it made a 6 depending where the epicenter was and how deep.

More numbers when I get them.  The digs are still standing.

RE

5.0, 7 miles from Anchorage.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Global Quakes
« Reply #436 on: December 31, 2018, 07:52:22 PM »
Happy Fuckin' New Year. Hang on tight. Hope you don't get swallowed up.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 31, 2018, 08:12:16 PM »
Happy Fuckin' New Year. Hang on tight. Hope you don't get swallowed up.

Hopefully not.  I'm hard at work compiling my data for my Magnum Opus Doomer Years Culmination Series on the Survey of the Collapse of Industrial Civilization.  First up is Energy & Technology, ready I think by Sunday.  I hope to stay above ground level at least that long.  That is MY New Year's Resolution.

462 Respondents now, a HUGELY significant sample.  This was beyond my wildest expectations.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 31, 2018, 10:30:33 PM »
Just passing through as my head is still abit foggy. I also passed by Cassandras Legacy blog and noticed your Survey is also re posted there

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 01, 2019, 01:28:49 AM »
Just passing through as my head is still abit foggy. I also passed by Cassandras Legacy blog and noticed your Survey is also re posted there

Yes, Ugo is my long lost Italian Twin Brother.  We were separated at birth.  Cassandra's Legacy dropped 103 Submissions into the Survey, 2nd only to r/collapse.  They pulled ahead of TBP in the stretch run.  Contributed many of the Ph.Ds and other academics to the mix.

Seriously, I have a long history with Ugo, we did many videos together from around 2014 to 2016.  They're all still up on Diner Utoob.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Earthquake in Bolivia reveals vast underground mountain range
« Reply #440 on: February 19, 2019, 06:06:47 PM »

Geophysicists from Princeton University in the US and the Chinese Academy of Sciences used the echoes of a massive earthquake that struck Bolivia two decades ago to piece together the topography deep beneath the surface.
The earthquake

On 9 June 1994, an 8.2 magnitude tremor rocked a sparsely populated region of the Amazon in Bolivia. Nothing this powerful had been seen in decades, with shocks being felt as far away as Canada.

“Earthquakes this big don’t come along very often,” says geoscientist Jessica Irving.

Not only was it big, it was deep, with a focal point estimated at a depth of just under 650 kilometres (about 400 miles). Unlike quakes that grind through the crust, the energy from these monsters can shake the whole mantle like a bowl of jelly.
bolivia earthquakes reveals underground mountain range, underground mountain range transition zone, transition zone earth, mountain transition zone
Using wave data from a 8.2 magnitude earthquake in Bolivia, mountains were discovered at the transition zone in layer in Earth Mantle.

The tremor happened to be one of the first to be measured on a modern seismic network, providing researchers with unprecedented recordings of waves bouncing through our planet’s interior.

http://strangesounds.org/2019/02/earthquake-bolivia-reveals-mountain-range-larger-everest-underground.html
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On 7.5 Ecuador
« Reply #441 on: February 22, 2019, 04:40:47 AM »

A very strong earthquake registered by the USGS as M7.5 hit Ecuador - Peru border region at 10:17 UTC (05:17 local time) on February 22, 2019. The agency is reporting a depth of 132.4 km (82.3 miles). IGEPN is reporting M7.6 at a depth of 107 km (66.5 miles); EMSC M7.5 at a depth of 140 km (87 miles). This earthquake can have a medium humanitarian impact based on the magnitude and the affected population and their vulnerability.

The epicenter was located 16.6 km (10.3 miles) S of Montalvo (population 0), 121.7 km (75.6 miles) E of Macas (population 23 687) and 134.7 km (83.7 miles) SE of Puyo (population 24 881).

There are about 46 000 people living within 100 km (62 miles).

26 000 people are estimated to have felt very strong shaking, 405 000 strong, 5 787 000 moderate and 16 006 000 light.

IGEPN reports M6.1 aftershock at 10:20 UTC at a depth of 143 km (88.8 miles), M3.6 at 10:54 UTC, and M3.9 at 11:23 UTC.

https://watchers.news/2019/02/22/very-strong-m7-5-earthquake-hits-ecuador-peru-border-region-at-intermediate-depth/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 12, 2019, 11:12:11 AM »

The Asahi

Changes around the Kuril Trench are similar to those observed before the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake, and a government panel is warning that another tsunami-spawning megaquake could devastate eastern Hokkaido.

Scientists failed to warn against the magnitude-9.0 earthquake and tsunami that struck on March 11, 2011, and killed around 18,000 people on the coast of the northeastern Tohoku region.

With indications that the next “big one” is imminent, they are determined not to make the same mistake.

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201902150001.html

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On / Mag. 9 West Coast ?
« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/y_SGX49D6Eo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/y_SGX49D6Eo&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On Cleveland Oh. cracks off A 4.0
« Reply #444 on: June 14, 2019, 08:45:57 AM »

Amanda Schmidt
AccuWeather.com
Mon, 10 Jun 2019
A 4.0 magnitude earthquake struck near Cleveland, Ohio, on Monday morning.

An earthquake was recorded in northeastern Ohio on Monday morning. The preliminary magnitude 4.0 earthquake was centered just north of Eastlake, Ohio, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS).

There were no reports immediately of damage. A magnitude 4 earthquake can cause light to moderate damage.

The USGS is collecting responses from people who felt the tremors. Over 8,000 people reported feeling the earthquake so far. The majority of reports rate the intensity as weak to light, USGS reports.

The event occurred in a region that is not typically associated with high seismic activity, and many resident contacted local emergency officials after the shake. The City of Mentor said that the dispatch is “overwhelmed with 911 calls,” but that they “are waiting for the experts to affirm what was probably an earthquake here.”

“Please don’t cal 911 unless you are having an emergency,” the City of Mentor said in a tweet.

The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) captured the earthquake on multiple traffic cams.

https://www.sott.net/article/414732-Since-when-does-Ohio-get-earthquakes-Magnitude-4-0-earthquake-shakes-near-Cleveland

Cleveland Traffic Cam      https://twitter.com/ODOT_Statewide/status/1138115270969397248

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
😱 6.4 magnitude earthquake strikes Southern California - live updates
« Reply #445 on: July 04, 2019, 06:05:34 PM »
Not "The BIG One" yet.  Still waiting for the 9.0 to hit LA, SF or Seattle.  Then in the words of Doc Brown, "you're going to see some serious shit".   :o

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C8x5u7KkYNE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/C8x5u7KkYNE</a>

RE

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/earthquake-california-today-ridgecrest-strikes-near-los-angeles-2019-07-04-live-updates/

6.4 magnitude earthquake strikes Southern California - live updates

By Justin Carissimo, April Siese

Updated on: July 4, 2019 / 7:37 PM / CBS News

A 6.4 magnitude earthquake rattled Southern California on Thursday and officials said it was the largest to hit the region in 20 years. The quake struck near the city of Ridgecrest, which is located about 160 miles northeast of Los Angeles.

Some injuries were reported in Ridgecrest, authorities said, but the extent is currently unclear. A city in the hospital was evacuated and officials are assessing structural damage to the building.

The United States Geological Survey said the quake struck at 10:33 a.m. PT. The earthquake was initially given a magnitude of 6.6, but was later revised to 6.4. The quake was felt more than 150 miles away in Los Angeles, but no damage was reported.

This was the largest quake to hit Southern California since 1999 and an eerie reminder of the 1994 Northridge quake. The magnitude 6.6 earthquake killed at least 57 people and caused billions of dollars in damage.
Injuries reported in Ridgecrest

There were some injuries, but authorities are not saying to what extent right now. No deaths were reported and the hospital in Ridgecrest is not dealing with any earthquake related injuries. They did evacuate patients and need to assess structural and other damage.

-- Carter Evans
Cracks form in roads from earthquake

Large cracks opened up in roadways between Trona and Ridgecrest where at magnitude earthquake struck on Thursday.
California Earthquake
Photos of cracks forming in roadways between Trona and Ridgecrest, where at 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck Thursday, July 4, 2019. Megan Valentine/Handout
​“It almost gave me a heart attack"

A waitress at the Midway Cafe in Ridgecrest said she was so startled by the quake it almost gave her a "heart attack."

"It's just a rolling feeling inside the building, inside the cafe and all of a sudden everything started falling off the shelf, glasses, the refrigerator and everything in the small refrigerator fell over," Cora Burke told the Associated Press.
Video shows restaurant hit by earthquake

Restaurant owner Jason Corona shared video of the quake toppling plates and breaking bar glasses at the Casa Corona restaurant in Ridgecrest.

The quake is the biggest to strike the region since 1999.
Ridgecrest declares state of emergency

In an interview with CNN, Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden announced that she declared a state of emergency. She said crews were responding to at least five fires across the city and that crews were assessing broken gas lines.

A massive fire broke out at a home in Ridgecrest, a town of about 28,000 residents. It's unclear what cause the blaze.
Officials warn of more aftershocks

Dr. Lucy Jones, a seismologist with the United States Geological Survey, said there has already been a high number of aftershocks following the quake. "I think we have already had probably an excess of 20 3.5 [magnitude aftershocks]," Jones said in a news conference.

"I would expect that there will continue to be magnitude 3s every few minutes, as there have been since this earthquake happened and that as those many 3s come through, we're going to have several 4s," Jones continued.

She said several minutes before the news conference, she had logged a 4.1 magnitude aftershock.

"We will be continuing to have lots of aftershocks," she said. "There is a 1 in 20 chance that this location could have an even bigger quake in the next few days."
House catches fire following earthquake

A massive house fire in Ridgecrest was caught on video following the 6.4 magnitude earthquake. It's unclear what caused the blaze.

The earthquake was followed by dozens of aftershocks in Ridgecrest and Searles Valley, measuring anywhere from magnitude 2.9 to 4.2, according to CBS Los Angeles.
The earthquake is the largest in 20 years

The 6.4 magnitude earthquake is the largest to hit Southern California since 1999, Dr. Lucy Jones, a seismologist with the United States Geological Survey said Thursday.

She said the region experienced about eight magnitude 6 earthquakes in the 90s. "This is an extremely quiet, abnormal time. This type of earthquake is much more normal," Jones said in a news conference.
24 medical and fire incidents in Ridgecrest

Emergency crews were responding to at least 24 medical and fire incidents in the city of Ridgecrest, the Kern County Fire Department said.

#EarthquakeResponse @kerncountyfire resources working nearly 2 dozens incidents ranging from medical assistance to structure fires in and around the city of Ridgecrest, CA. @kerncountyfire Urban Search and Rescue teams en route. #kerncountyfirefighters
    — Kern County Fire (@kerncountyfire) July 4, 2019

No damage reported in Los Angeles

The Los Angeles Police Department said it did not receive any reports of damage. "This was a strong one, and a good reminder to be prepared," the department tweeted.

At this time, the LAPD has not received any reports of damage or calls for service within the City of Los Angeles related to the #earthquake. Remember, 911 is only to report emergencies. This was a strong one, and a good reminder to be prepared 🔗 https://t.co/fURDNcMhhQ
    — LAPD HQ (@LAPDHQ) July 4, 2019

No injuries reported in San Bernardino

No injuries were immediately reported in San Bernardino County on Thursday, the local fire department said. They said buildings and roads "sustained varying degrees of damage."

First published on July 4, 2019 / 3:14 PM
Save As Many As You Can

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 05, 2019, 03:46:50 AM »
I hated that movie clip. A horrible clip from an equally horrible movie. Only in the febrile brain of a script writer could everything sink into the ocean in LA. Maybe if the Chicxulub asteroid hit near LA but otherwise LA is on the Pacific plate and is rising (notice the 10,000' mountains around LA?). Sure it's good car driving CGI, but nothing more.
This earthquake is MSM slow news day again. Ridgecrest is small and nowhere near LA (150 miles away, closer to Vegas?). Wait for the interesting big one in LA.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 05, 2019, 07:08:49 AM »
I hated that movie clip. A horrible clip from an equally horrible movie. Only in the febrile brain of a script writer could everything sink into the ocean in LA. Maybe if the Chicxulub asteroid hit near LA but otherwise LA is on the Pacific plate and is rising (notice the 10,000' mountains around LA?). Sure it's good car driving CGI, but nothing more.
This earthquake is MSM slow news day again. Ridgecrest is small and nowhere near LA (150 miles away, closer to Vegas?). Wait for the interesting big one in LA.
AJ

It's not supposed to be looked at realistically.  It's a visual/cinematic metaphor for all the WORST things you could imagine ocurring in an earthquake.  It's also a cinematic joke.  I mean really,driving a limo at high speed to escape giant cracks in the earth appearing right behind you in the rear view mirror?  Or taking off in a small plane while the runway is crumbling?  lol.

Or how abou the Tsunami scene from "The Day After Tomorrow"?  :icon_mrgreen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GmjAp2eRDH0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GmjAp2eRDH0</a>

Or the Wet Dream for anyone who follows the Clown Show of Donalditry Trumpovetsky, Aliens destroying the White House in "Independence Day?  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vjFG-4Ge668" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vjFG-4Ge668</a>

Those films are MASTERPIECES!  You just don't look at them the right way.  You take it too seriously and literally.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 06, 2019, 03:22:30 AM »
Yeah, I can suspend disbelief with the best of them and watch the impossible happen, BUT some things just get to over-the-top for me. Both Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow were just out and out fiction. I thought the earthquake scene was terrible. Wasn't that movie the 2012 prediction bullshit about the Mayan prophecy? Totally made up crap to appeal to people's ignorance.
I take my disasters seriously :laugh:
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 06, 2019, 09:39:06 AM »

I take my disasters seriously :laugh:

I am cut from a different cloth.  I find the humor in everything, no matter how bad it is.  Laughing in the face of Death I suppose you could call it.  For you, it is all Shakespearian Tragedy; for me it is Comedy.

RE

RE
Save As Many As You Can