AuthorTopic: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Global Quakes  (Read 49444 times)

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Ground around Yellowstone deforms after 1500 quakes this summer
« Reply #300 on: August 12, 2017, 01:06:29 PM »
2017-08-10 - The ground around the Yellowstone supervolcano has deformed after 1,500 quakes this summer:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4779550/See-ground-deformed-Yellowstone-volcano.html
http://www.sott.net/article/359023-The-ground-around-the-Yellowstone-supervolcano-has-deformed-after-1500-quakes-this-summer
Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face
And stars fill my dream
I’m a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race
This world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait
All will be revealed

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
8 threatening volcanoes, USGS says California deserves close monitoring
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2017, 01:33:26 PM »
http://www.sfgate.com/local/science/article/With-8-dangerous-volcanoes-California-has-a-11746331.php

With the world's top volcanologists heading to Portland, Ore., on Aug. 14 for the first international volcanology assembly held in the U.S. since 1989, the many famous, prominent and dangerous volcanoes of the West Coast will be the subject of field trips and much discussion.

Throughout the Cascade Range to southern California, the West Coast is home to most of the country's highest-threat volcanoes, as ranked by the United State Geological Survey. And California has its share.

While Mount Shasta unsurprisingly tops USGS's list of very-high threat volcanoes in California, there are seven other volcanic areas in the state that are also young, nervy, jacked up on magma and "likely to erupt."

Scientists know from geophysical and geochemical research that these volcanoes have molten rock, magma, "in their roots," said Margaret Mangan, Scientist-in-Charge at the California Volcano Observatory. "I call them the watch-list volcanoes."

USGS caption: Volcanoes of very high to low threat are scattered throughout California, from the Oregon border (north) to Mexico (south). Other older volcanoes in California are of less concern. California’s volcano watch list is subject to change as new data on past eruptive activity are collected, as volcanic unrest changes, and as populations in threatened areas grow or decline.

On watch

As listed by the California observatory, the eight fall into three danger categories:

Very-high threat: Mount Shasta, Lassen Volcanic Center and Long Valley Volcanic Region
    High threat: Clear Lake Volcanic Field, Medicine Lake Volcano and Salton Buttes
    Moderate threat: Ubehebe Crater and Coso Volcanic Field

In 2005, a national team led by John Ewert, a volcanologist with the USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory, established a system for deciding which of the United States' 169 young volcanoes are the most dangerous and most in need of monitoring. In the "Framework for a National Volcano Early Warning System," Ewert's team identified 57 priority volcanoes in the U.S.

Among the 18 "very high threat volcanoes," 11 are along the Cascade Range in three states (Alaska and Hawaii have the others):

California: Lassen Volcanic Center, Long Valley Caldera, Mount Shasta
    Oregon: Crater Lake, Mount Hood, Newberry, South Sister of The Three Sisters
    Washington: Baker, Glacier Peak, Rainier, St. Helens

"We live on a fascinating planet," Ewert said of the likelihood of eruptions along the West Coast, "and one of the reasons it is fascinating is that it is dynamic. The entire surface of the Earth is in motion and sometimes people have a hard time wrapping their head around that. We have big earthquakes. We have volcanic eruptions, tsunamis. All these things happen."

Pulse of the volcano

The volcano threat list was created, Ewert explain, not simply to alert people that the Earth is petulant but too set a foundation for determining which of the country's volcanoes need extensive monitoring.

He said the team used 25 factors to determine a volcano's danger status: What has the volcano done in the past? What's its modus operandi? When does it tend to erupt? What kind of phenomenon does it produce? Lahars (mud slurries of ice, rocks and other debris)? Pyroclastic flows (hot gas, rock and other stuff out of the volcano)? Is it a highly explosive volcano? How active is the volcano right now? Are there seismic swarms? Is it emitting hot volcanic gases? Is the edifice changing its shape (deformation)?

In addition to the geophysics of a volcano, the team examined how many people live or work near it, plus the amount and type of infrastructure has been built up around it ... power generation, port facilities, etc.

The team also considered, What is the aviation exposure? How many flights a day pass through the volcanic airspace?

"If it is an explosive volcano," Ewert said, "we asked how close is it to an airport and what is the daily passenger load of the airport? Recall in 2010, the eruption of the Eyjafjallajökull in Iceland shut down European airspace for over a week. That ran up about a $10 billion impact cost. Given the fact that an explosive eruption can put an ash cloud up to cruise altitude in five minutes or less, that volcanic airspace is an important thing to take into consideration."

Mangan said California had plenty to worry about in this regard as well.

"Over the northern California volcanoes, the data from FAA suggests that there are a couple hundred jumbo jets on flight-lines that pass over those three volcanoes on a daily basis," she said. "And, likewise there are a couple hundred jumbo jets that are flying over Long Valley Volcanic Region as well."

For all these reasons, Mangan said, the eight riskiest volcanoes in California need monitoring.

"... so that we can forecast eruptions, essentially keep our finger on the pulse," she said. "The best network, the optimized network that we currently have, is in the Long Valley Volcanic Region. It is arguably one of the best in the nation. It is also one of the most restless volcanic areas currently."

She added that the three Cascade Range volcanoes in northern California are being monitored to provide basic information, but the networks are not optimum.

"So, we are working as we can, given funding levels, to modernize and upgrade the networks in northern California," she said. The other five "also have a way to go until we have an optimum monitoring situation."

Active Lassen

Michael Clynne, with the U.S. Geological Survey's Volcano Science Center and considered the world expert on all things Lassen, said the most recent volcano to erupt in the state, Lassen Peak, sits in the middle of a region ready to blow.

"The Lassen Volcanic Center is active and it will erupt again," he said during a public lecture published on YouTube. "It's only a matter of time. The Lassen Volcanic Center has had at least 13 eruptions in the last 100,000 years. That doesn't sound like very often. It's a recurrence interval of about 7,500 years. However there have been three eruptions in the last 1,100 years ... So the eruptions are not evenly spaced in time ... Volcanic activity is episodic.

"So, Lassen will erupt again. And maybe if some of us are lucky, it will be in our lifetime."

And stars fill my dream
To be where I have been
All will be revealed

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Wrath of God
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2017, 02:51:08 AM »
Lights OUT in Mexico Shity after an 8.2 Shaker!   :o

Did somebody find the Ark of the Covenant?  :o

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RfUkwCvXHEo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RfUkwCvXHEo</a>

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/of7XyFlJsJM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/of7XyFlJsJM</a>
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Global Quakes, look what formed after the 8.4 in Mexico
« Reply #303 on: September 11, 2017, 02:19:56 PM »
http://strangesounds.org/2017/09/giant-earth-cracks-split-in-half-jaltipan-mexico-after-m8-1-earthquake-and-tropical-storm-katia-hit-veracruz.html

And stars fill my dream
To be where I have been
All will be revealed

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Americas Strong earthquake shakes Mexico, killing dozens
« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2017, 03:35:22 PM »
2nd one to hit Mexico in 2 weeks.

It's getting downright Apocalyptic out there.

RE

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-mexico-city-earthquake-photos-videos-20170919-htmlstory.html

Mexico earthquake: Photos, videos show wrath of 7.1 quake

Picture of a car crashed by debris from a damaged building after a quake rattled Mexico City on Sept. 19, 2017. (ALFREDO ESTRELLA/AFP/Getty Images)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/strong-earthquake-shakes-mexico-damaging-buildings-and-causing-panic/2017/09/19/d2b044f6-9d6a-11e7-b2a7-bc70b6f98089_story.html?deferJs=true&outputType=default-article&tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.9d2e9c8a9140

Strong earthquake shakes Mexico, killing dozens

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico
« Reply #305 on: September 23, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »
Whole Lotta  Shakin' going on in Old Mejico!

RE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/families-of-missing-in-mexico-quake-still-hold-out-hope/2017/09/22/8cbc0c38-a00c-11e7-b2a7-bc70b6f98089_story.html?utm_term=.19410f0abdee

New earthquake, magnitude 6.1, shakes jittery Mexico
Play Video 1:16
Earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Embed
An earthquake shook southern Mexico on Sept. 23 and increased alarm in the capital, where rescuers temporarily suspended a search for survivors of a bigger tremor earlier in the week. (Reuters)
By Peter Orsi, Maria Verza and Gisela Salomon | AP September 23 at 2:18 PM

MEXICO CITY — A strong new earthquake shook Mexico on Saturday, toppling already damaged homes and a highway bridge and causing new alarm in a country reeling from two even more powerful quakes this month that together have killed nearly 400 people.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the new, magnitude 6.1 temblor was centered about 11 miles (18 kilometers) south-southeast of Matias Romero in the state of Oaxaca, which was the region most battered by a magnitude 8.1 quake on Sept. 7.

It was among thousands of aftershocks recorded in the wake of that earlier quake, which was the most powerful to hit Mexico in 32 years and killed at least 90 people.

There was some damage in Oaxaca but no immediate reports of new deaths. The Federal Police agency posted images online showing a collapsed bridge that it said had already been closed due to damage after the Sept. 7 quake.

Bettina Cruz, a resident of Juchitan, Oaxaca, said by phone with her voice still shaking that the new quake felt “horrible.”
Play Video 2:10
In earthquake's aftermath, volunteers search where others can’t or won’t
Embed
Exclusive footage shows the Topos (Spanish for moles), a volunteer search and rescue team, searching for survivors after the earthquake in Mexico City. (The Washington Post)

“Homes that were still standing just fell down,” Cruz said. “It’s hard. We are all in the streets.”

Cruz belongs to a social collective and said that when the shaking began, she was riding in a truck carrying supplies to victims of the earlier quake.

Nataniel Hernandez said by phone from Tonala, in the southern state of Chiapas, which was also hit hard by the earlier quake, that it was one of the strongest aftershocks he has felt.

“Since Sept. 7 it has not stopped shaking,” Hernandez.

U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Paul Caruso said the new temblor was an aftershock of the 8.1 quake, and after a jolt of that size even buildings left standing can be more vulnerable.

“So a smaller earthquake can cause the damaged buildings to fail,” Caruso said.

“At the moment the greatest damage has been to the Ixtaltepec bridge, which should be rebuilt, and structures with previous damage that collapsed,” President Enrique Pena Nieto tweeted. He said government workers were fanning out in Juchitan to provide help to anyone who needs it.

Jaime Hernandez, director of the Federal Electrical Commission, said the quake knocked out power to 327,000 homes and businesses in Oaxaca but service had been restored to 72 percent of customers within a few hours.

Buildings swayed in Mexico City, where nerves are still raw from Tuesday’s magnitude 7.1 temblor that has killed at least 305 across the region. Many residents and visitors fled homes, hotels and businesses, some in tears.

At the Xoco General Hospital, which is treating the largest number of quake victims, workers ordered visitors to evacuate when seismic alarms began to blare.

That included Syntia Pereda, 43, who was reluctant to leave the bedside of her sleeping boyfriend. Jesus Gonzalez, 49, fell from a third-story balcony of a building where he was working during Tuesday’s quake and was awaiting surgery.

But she controlled her emotions, went outside and came back when the trembling was over.

“We are getting used to this,” Pereda said. “Every so often we hear the alarm ... you say, well, it is God’s will.”

Alejandra Castellanos was on the second floor of a hotel in a central neighborhood of Mexico City and ran down the stairs and outside with her husband.

“I was frightened because I thought, not again!” Castellanos said.

Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said there were no reports of significant new damage in the capital, and rescue efforts related to Tuesday’s quake were continuing. He reported that two people died of apparent heart attacks during the new temblor.

At the site of an office building that collapsed Tuesday and where an around-the-clock search for survivors was still ongoing, rescuers briefly evacuated from atop the pile of rubble after the morning quake before returning to work removing cement, tiles and other debris.

As rescue operations stretched into Day 5, residents throughout the capital have held out hope that dozens still missing might be found alive. More than half the dead — 167 — perished in the capital, while another 73 died in the state of Morelos, 45 in Puebla, 13 in Mexico State, six in Guerrero and one in Oaxaca.

Along a 60-foot stretch of a bike lane in Mexico City, families huddled under tarps and donated blankets, awaiting word of loved ones trapped in the four-story-high pile of rubble behind them.

Lidia Albarran, whose niece was buried in the collapse of an office building a block away, heard the alarm and worried that the latest quake could endanger those under the pile of rubble.

“You feel fear. Before, earthquakes did not make me afraid, but now ... thinking about all that could have happened in the building,” Albarran said.

In a city still on edge, many residents have spoken of lingering anxiety: imagining the ground is moving when it isn’t, hearing a police siren wail and thinking it’s a quake alarm, breaking into sobs at unexpected moments.

“There is collective panic. I feel afraid even when a car passes by,” said Dulce Bueno, who came Saturday morning with her husband and daughter to the hard-hit Condesa neighborhood. They brought suitcases to collect the belongings of their daughter, who lived in a damaged building beside one that collapsed and who is now moving in with them.

“They have told us it is well constructed, that it’s a bunker,” Bueno said of her own home. “But if the tremors continue, will it hold up?”

Vicente Aparicio, 76, gazed at the building where he lived in southern Mexico City as his wife listened to an engineer explaining the damage it had suffered. He vowed never to return; his family is fortunate enough to have another apartment to go to and the means to go on with their lives.

Today's WorldView

What's most important from where the world meets Washington

“But what about those who do not?” Aparicio wondered.

He added: “How does a city recover from a shock like this?”

___

Associated Press writer Christine Armario contributed to this report.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
120 mi. stretch of Miss. Rvr drys up over New Madrid fault zone
« Reply #306 on: October 02, 2017, 05:23:42 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/I_XWW9CNWMU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/I_XWW9CNWMU&fs=1</a>
And stars fill my dream
To be where I have been
All will be revealed

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On 8.4 Peru
« Reply #307 on: October 31, 2017, 04:26:37 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fECq3NiRz0A&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fECq3NiRz0A&fs=1</a>
And stars fill my dream
To be where I have been
All will be revealed

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On 7.6 Iraq/Iran border
« Reply #308 on: November 12, 2017, 02:00:54 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UzBTp6C5aYU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UzBTp6C5aYU&fs=1</a>
And stars fill my dream
To be where I have been
All will be revealed

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Strong earthquake hits Iraq and Iran, killing at least 210
« Reply #309 on: November 13, 2017, 12:01:36 AM »
Over 200 Death Toll now.  At least they are a little more honest about their numbers of Dead People.

RE

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-quake/strong-earthquake-hits-iraq-and-iran-killing-at-least-210-idUSKBN1DC0VZ

#Environment
November 12, 2017 / 9:44 AM / Updated 36 minutes ago
Strong earthquake hits Iraq and Iran, killing at least 210
Raya Jalabi, Parisa Hafezi

5 Min Read

BAGHDAD/ANKARA (Reuters) - At least 210 people were killed in Iran and Iraq on Sunday when a powerful magnitude 7.3 earthquake hit the region, state media in the two countries said, as rescuers searched for dozens trapped under rubble.

At least 207 people were killed in Iran, Behnam Saeedi, a spokesman for Iran’s National Disaster Management Organization, said on the state television. More than 1,700 were injured, he said.

Officials expected the casualty toll to rise when search and rescue teams reached remote areas of Iran.

A quake registering a magnitude between 7 and 7.9 can inflict widespread and heavy damage. Moreover, many houses in rural areas of Iran are made of mud bricks that can crumble easily in a quake.

Sponsored

The earthquake was felt in several provinces of Iran but the hardest hit province was Kermanshah, which announced three days of mourning.

More than 142 of the victims were in Sarpol-e Zahab county in Kermanshah, about 15 km (10 miles) from the Iraq border.

The main hospital of the capital of the county was severely damaged and could not treat hundreds of injured people who were taken there, the head of the Iranian emergency services, Pirhossein Koulivand said.
DANCING BUILDINGS

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake measured magnitude 7.3. An Iraqi meteorology official put its magnitude at 6.5 with the epicenter in Penjwin in Sulaimaniyah province in the Kurdistan region close to the main border crossing with Iran.

Kurdish health officials said at least four people were killed in Iraq and at least 50 injured.

The quake was felt as far south as Baghdad, where many residents rushed from their houses and tall buildings when tremors shook the Iraqi capital.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

“I was sitting with my kids having dinner and suddenly the building was just dancing in the air,” said Majida Ameer, who ran out of her building in the capital’s Salihiya district with her three children. “I thought at first that it was a huge bomb. But then I heard everyone around me screaming: ‘Earthquake!'”

Similar scenes unfolded in Erbil, the capital of the Kurdistan Region, and across other cities in northern Iraq, close to the quake’s epicenter.
COLD WEATHER

Electricity was cut off in several Iranian and Iraqi cities, and fears of aftershocks sent thousands of people in both countries out onto the streets and parks in cold weather.

The Iranian seismological center registered around 50 aftershocks and said more were expected.
A damaged building is seen following an earthquake in Sarpol-e Zahab county in Kermanshah, Iran November 13, 2017. REUTERS/Tasnim News Agency

The head of Iranian Red Crescent said more than 70,000 people were in need of emergency shelter.

Iranian Interior Minister Abdolreza Rahmani Fazli said some roads were blocked and were worried about casualties in remote villages. The Iranian armed forces have been deployed to help the emergency services.

An Iranian oil official said pipelines and refineries in the area remained intact.

Iran sits astride major fault lines and is prone to frequent tremors. A magnitude 6.6 quake on Dec. 26, devastated the historic city of Bam, 1,000 km (600 miles) southeast of Tehran, killing about 31,000 people.
HOSPITAL SEVERELY DAMAGED

On the Iraqi side, the most extensive damage was in the town of Darbandikhan, 75 km (47 miles) east of the city of Sulaimaniyah in the semi-autonomous Kurdistan Region.
Slideshow (13 Images)

More than 30 people were injured in the town, according to Kurdish Health Minister Rekawt Hama Rasheed.

“The situation there is very critical,” Rasheed told Reuters.

The district’s main hospital was severely damaged and had no power, Rasheed said, so the injured were taken to Sulaimaniyah for treatment. Homes and buildings had extensive structural damage, he said.

In Halabja, local officials said a 12-year-old boy died of an electric shock from a falling electric cable.

Iraq’s meteorology center advised people to stay away from buildings and not to use elevators, in case of aftershocks.
TURKEY AND ISRAEL

Residents of Turkey’s southeastern city of Diyarbakir also reported feeling a strong tremor, but there were no immediate reports of damage or casualties in the city.

Turkish Red Crescent Chairman Kerem Kinik told broadcaster NTV that Red Crescent teams in Erbil were preparing to go to the site of the earthquake, and that Turkey’s national disaster management agency, AFAD, and National Medical Rescue Teams (UMKE) were also preparing to head into Iraq. AFAD’s chairman said the organization was waiting for a reply to its offer for help.

In a tweet, Kinik said the Turkish Red Crescent was gathering 3,000 tents and heaters, 10,000 beds and blankets and moving them towards the Iraqi border.

“We are coordinating with Iranian and Iraqi Red Crescent groups. We are also getting prepared to make deliveries from our northern Iraq Erbil depot,” he said.

Israeli media said the quake was felt in many parts of Israel as well.

Writing by Bozorgmehr Sharafedin, Reporting by Raya Jalabi and Ahmed Rasheed in Iraq,; Parisa Hafezi, Tuvan Gumrukcu and Irem Koca in Ankara, and Dubai newsroom; Editing by Peter Cooney and Bill Tarrant
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On 7.6 Iraq/Iran border 1st Images vid
« Reply #310 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UzBTp6C5aYU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UzBTp6C5aYU&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GtT_4J-yIXo&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GtT_4J-yIXo&fs=1</a>
And stars fill my dream
To be where I have been
All will be revealed

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Greeted Home with a Shaker!
« Reply #311 on: November 27, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »
We just had a big shaker here on the Last Great Frontier.  I have only been home around an hour.  I don't know the magnitude yet or epicenter.  It was a pretty good one though.  I will bet a 7.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN