AuthorTopic: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Global Quakes  (Read 65274 times)

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-NYC Is. of the Dead Unearthed
« Reply #330 on: May 04, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/03/erosion-unearthing-bones-on-new-yorks-island-dead.amp.html

After photos of exposed bones began turning up in news reports, forensic anthropologists from the city medical examiner's office went out last week and collected 174 human bones that they carefully cataloged, including six skulls, six jawbones, 31 leg bones and 16 pelvises. Small red flags dotted spots along the rocky shoreline where some remains were found.

"When I hear about the erosion, I always think, 'Are the bones his? Could any of them be his?'" asked Carol DiMedio whose grandfather Luigi Roma was buried on the island after dying from tuberculosis in 1933.

Advocates for Hart Island say the bones are a jarring sign that it's long past time for improvements to be made. In addition to stepping up a $13.2 million federal project to repair erosion caused by 2012's Hurricane Sandy and other storms, they want the 101-acre island in the Long Island Sound to be turned into a park and historic site, even if it continues to be used as a burial ground for the city's poor and nameless dead.

"These are New Yorkers," City Council member Mark Levine said of the remains. "These are human beings who were largely marginalized and forgotten in life, they were people who died homeless or destitute, victims of contagious disease, the AIDS crisis. And we're victimizing them again in their final resting place."

As many as 1 million souls lie buried on Hart Island, purchased by the city in 1868 as land for a workhouse for wayward boys and a potter's field. Over the decades, it housed a Civil War prison, an asylum, a tuberculosis hospital, a jail and a missile base. All the while, New York continued ferrying bodies there that went unclaimed at the city morgue.

The island, managed by the city's Department of Correction for more than a century, has never been kept up like a traditional cemetery with manicured lawns or even headstones.

Prisoners dig the long trenches used to bury the dead. Adults go into the ground in pine boxes, stacked on top of one another. Babies are placed in shoebox-sized containers. Around 1,000 people are buried there each year.

The internments take place out of public view and access to the island is limited to trips, once per month, that must be reserved in advance. Only people with loved ones buried on the island are allowed to visit the graves . Others are restricted to a visitors' gazebo near the ferry dock.

In 2012, one of the island's embankments was stripped of earth by Sandy's floodwaters, exposing a Civil War-era cistern. Meanwhile, more storms have battered the island, further eroding it. Work on the federal project to repair the erosion wasn't scheduled to begin until 2020 but it has been moved up a year.

"We are doing everything we can to limit future exposures and expedite the firming up of the shoreline," said Jason Kersten a correction spokesman.

In the meantime, city officials say an archaeologist will visit at least once a month to remove and bury any exposed remains.

Unearthed remains have been a problem before. A March 1985 report by the city's sanitation department found bones strewn on the island — including a skull on the beach.

"It was explained to us that this was a rather common thing since the city has been burying bodies there for almost 80 years and the water has caused some erosion at older burial spots," according to the report obtained by island advocate Melinda Hunt.

On a recent photography trip around the island on a chartered boat, Hunt pointed out the places along the northern shore where the bones were, and where she has seen them before.

"They came to clean this up, but it isn't the first time and it won't be the last," said Hunt, creator of the Hart Island Project , who has been documenting conditions on the island since 1991.

DiMedio, 61, said she wishes the uncovered bones would be tested for DNA evidence in order to help other families locate missing loved ones.

She had done research since she was a young girl to try to find out where her grandfather was buried. And when she finally found the answer, she didn't want to tell her ailing, elderly mother where her father had been laid to rest.

"When I found him ... I lied and I said he was buried in a beautiful place, with blue water and blue skies and lots of trees and green grass and seagulls above," DiMedio said. "I didn't have the heart to tell her there's this grim place called Hart Island."

I knew there was a potters field somewhere for NYC (somewhere in the Naked City.....cue the noir music), but I'd never really heard of Hart Island. Thanks for posting. I've been looking at pics. Just out from the beach at Pelham Bay. Not that grim, really. The bones don't care. It's only a few feet above sea level. It'll all be underwater soon enough. Humans are pretty vain.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Now THIS is one BIG ASS CRACK...
« Reply #331 on: May 07, 2018, 02:28:53 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QNYeVZWmgw8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QNYeVZWmgw8&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vUwO7qV9tAc&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vUwO7qV9tAc&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Global Quakes
« Reply #332 on: May 07, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
Maybe he hasn't heard that NZ is on the Ring of Fire and has earthquakes all the time. "Are you kidding me?"  No.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Global Quakes - Hawaii & Guatemala “Are An Opening Act”
« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2018, 10:52:21 AM »
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/volcanoes-earthquakes-interview-eric-hadik-erico-matias-tavares/?lipi=urn%3Ali%3Apage%3Ad_flagship3_profile_view_base_recent_activity_details_shares%3BE14Vy9o8S1az%2Bxg0un6T1g%3D%3D

Erico Matias Tavares
Sinclair & Co.

First introduced to the financial markets in 1979, Eric Hadik is a trader and analyst who has been intimately involved with commodities and investing for over 35 years. His work gained wide recognition from the outset, where throughout the late-1980’s Eric worked closely with and provided market analysis to major institutions such as BP, Arco, Occidental, Royal-Dutch Shell and Chase Manhattan as well as AMAX Gold and Handy & Harman. In the early 1990’s Eric laid the groundwork for what is now INSIIDE Track Trading – founded in 1994. In that capacity, Eric publishes research, analysis and trading strategies with the expressed goal of teaching, educating and sharing his insights with thousands of individual and corporate traders around the world. His articles and interviews have been featured in major financial media over the years, including CNBC, Forbes, Inside Wall Street and Investor’s Daily.

E Tavares: Eric, thank you for being with us again today. In our discussions in the past we have focused on the financial markets for the most part, but as part of your work you take a much broader view on things. We would like to get your opinion on volcanoes and earthquakes, something that is personal to us as we spent most of our childhood in a small volcanic island. But before we get into that, what is the relevance of these natural cycles for your work as a commodity and financial futures trader?

E Hadik: There are various applications to researching cycles like this. Part of that involves the reinforcement and validation of overall cycle analysis. I am able to take what is learned from that study and apply it to related natural studies and cycles, like those of sunspots and solar storms and climate oscillations (including El Niño and La Niña and corresponding cycles of flooding and drought). All of that provides an important backdrop for the study and analysis of the markets – governed by human actions and mass psychology. There are, however, serious limitations to this particular application.

The important part is that it does not stop there. In fact, that cycle analysis is only the beginning – a backdrop for more specific analysis that follows. It is next to impossible to trade directly (and profitably) off cycles like those. While it is intriguing to discuss topics like these, I am always looking for the practical application of those studies. My ultimate goal is always honing it to a level where a usable trading strategy can be derived. And for that, I would never rely solely on broad cycle studies.

ET: Forecasting occurrences of volcanic eruptions and earthquakes is a very complex undertaking, if at all possible. However, you have found some very revealing regularities. Tell us about that.

EH: While I do see some uncanny patterns, I would agree that forecasting the precise occurrence of volcanoes or earthquakes – particularly if one tries to take it to a more regionally-specific level – is next to impossible. From a broader perspective, however, I am constantly surprised by some of the patterns and periodicity that unfolds.

A perfect example involves a series of reports I published in 2009 – 2010, projecting a devastating trio of global earthquakes in 2010 – 2011. That future time frame had been discussed for almost a decade and the published analysis specified that Chile, Japan and North America should suffer those quakes, with specific time frames for each published before the fact.

The Jan. 2010 Haiti quake, Feb. 2010 Chile quake and Mar. 2011 Japan quake and tsunami fulfilled that outlook with surprising precision (relatively speaking). In doing so, they also reinforced my outlook for 2018 – 2020 to trigger a subsequent spike in volcanic activity.

That 2009 analysis involved the synergy of a myriad of cycles, with two uncanny cycles being a 7 year Cycle and a 17 year Cycle. Every 7 years, there had been a spike in the concentration and intensity of earthquake activity. However, it was the overriding 14 year and 28 year cycles that were more accurate and timed many of the most dramatic events.

In certain phases of that cycle, volcanic activity has quickly followed.  A prime example was the triple-whammy of momentous (and climate-altering) volcanic eruptions in 1991 – Mt. Pinatubo, Mt. Hudson and Mt. Unzen – following an earthquake spike in 1990. That earthquake/volcano sequence was expected to recur in 2018/2019 – an overarching 28 year cycle (detailed separately), 40 year cycle, ~100 year Cycle and ~200 year Cycle. The synergy is what is most important!

The following table was published in early-Jan. 2010 – at the outset of that latest phase. It pinpointed 2011 as the culmination of a deadly phase of earthquakes (in 2010/2011) and projected focus to a greater synergy of cycles aligning in 2018. (This is only one of a myriad of diverse earth disturbance cycles colliding in 2018 – 2021.)

Click on link for graphs & remainder of article.

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Global Quakes - Energy Weapons Directed at Kilauea
« Reply #334 on: June 22, 2018, 02:10:29 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jHbWi0e0cnk&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jHbWi0e0cnk&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
THIS is one BIG ASS CRACK... Swallows Town WHOLE overnight
« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2018, 10:37:59 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ezAjU6wnVQE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ezAjU6wnVQE&fs=1</a>

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: THIS is one BIG ASS CRACK... Swallows Town WHOLE overnight
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2018, 10:51:50 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ezAjU6wnVQE&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ezAjU6wnVQE&fs=1</a>

"Proof that something is incredibly  wrong here."

Uh, no, that's a landslide. They do happen a lot. It means people who live under unstable hillsides are sitting ducks, and that's all it means.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🌋 Tourists flee Indonesia's Lombok island after quake kills 91
« Reply #337 on: August 06, 2018, 03:46:56 AM »
I wonder if this was near Palloy?

RE

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-quake/powerful-quake-kills-82-on-indonesias-lombok-tourists-flee-idUSKBN1KR07F

World News
August 5, 2018 / 7:19 PM / Updated 19 minutes ago
Tourists flee Indonesia's Lombok island after quake kills 91
Kanupriya Kapoor

5 Min Read

PEMENANG, Indonesia (Reuters) - Rescue workers found scenes of destruction across the north of Indonesia’s resort island of Lombok on Monday after a magnitude 6.9 earthquake killed at least 91 people and prompted an exodus of tourists rattled by the second powerful quake in a week.

The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) said it expected the death toll to rise once the rubble of more than 13,000 flattened and damaged houses is cleared away, but a lack of heavy equipment meant this would take time.

Power and communications were cut in some areas of Lombok, with landslides and a collapsed bridge hampering access to the north. The Indonesian military said it was sending in a ship with medical aid, supplies and logistical support.

The Indonesian Red Cross said in a Tweet that it helped a woman give birth after the quake at a health post. One of the names she gave the baby boy was ‘Gempa’, which means earthquake.

Sponsored

Lombok was hit a week earlier, on July 29, by a 6.4 magnitude quake that killed 17 people and briefly stranded several hundred trekkers on the slopes of a volcano.

The Indonesian Agency for Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG) said that more than 120 aftershocks were recorded after Sunday evening’s quake, whose magnitude the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) revised down to 6.9 from an original 7.0. At that magnitude it released more than five times the energy of the quake a week earlier, the USGS website showed.

There were no foreigners among the dead and the number of injured stood at 209, BNPB spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho told a news conference.

(For graphic on earthquake in Indonesia, click tmsnrt.rs/2vmA8oJ)
A woman walks past debris from a collapsed wall following a strong earthquake in Lendang Bajur Hamlet, Lombok island, indonesia August 6, 2018 in this photo taken by Antara Foto. Antara Foto/Ahmad Subaidi/ via REUTERS
HOSPITALS OVERFLOWING

The tremor was so powerful it was felt on the neighboring island of Bali where, according to BNPB, two people died. The first quake was also felt on Bali.

Indonesia sits on the geologically active Pacific Ring of Fire and is regularly hit by earthquakes. In 2004, the Indian Ocean tsunami killed 226,000 people in 13 countries, including more than 120,000 in Indonesia.

Residents of a northern village called Mentigi were forced to flee to nearby hills when the quake struck and flattened their houses. Blue tarpaulins dotted the hillside on Monday as people prepared to spend the nights outdoors because of aftershocks or because their houses were destroyed.

“We are getting some aid from volunteers but we don’t have proper tents yet,” said a 50-year-old villager sheltering with his wife and children, who gave his name only as Marhun.

“We understand there are other areas that are worse hit but I hope they can get the aid here soon.”

Ambulances, their sirens blaring, raced along the coast from north Lombok, but BNPB spokesman Nugroho said emergency units in hospitals across the island were overflowing and some patients were being treated in parking lots.
“THIS IS IT FOR ME INDONESIA”

Sengiggi, a seaside tourist strip on Lombok, wore an abandoned look. Amid collapsed houses, some hotels appeared to have closed, restaurants were empty and beaches deserted.

Long lines formed at the airport of Lombok’s main town, Mataram, as foreign visitors cut their holidays short. At least two airlines said they were adding extra flights to help tourists leave.

“I was at the rooftop of my hotel and the building started swaying very hard ... I could not stand up,” said Gino Poggiali, a 43-year-old Frenchman, who was with his wife and two children at the airport.
Slideshow (19 Images)

His wife Maude, 44, said the family was on Bali for the first quake and Lombok for the second.

“This is it for me in Indonesia. Next time we will stay in France, or somewhere close,” she said.

Dutch tourist Marc Ganbuwalba injured his knee as a stampede of diners rushed from a restaurant after the quake.

“We are cutting short our holiday because I can’t walk and we’re just not in the mood anymore, more in the mood to see our loved ones,” said the 26-year-old, sitting on a trolley at the airport with his leg bandaged.

“We are just thankful to God and also to the hotel staff who really helped us. Some of them said their own houses had been destroyed but they were still helping us.”

Officials said hundreds of tourists had been evacuated from the three Gili islands off the northwest coast of Lombok, and boats were being scrambled to collect several hundred more who feared a tsunami would hit the islands.

Michelle Thompson, an American who was holidaying on one of the Gilis with her husband, described a violent “scramble” to get on boats leaving for the main island.

“People were just throwing their suitcases on board and I had to struggle to get my husband on because he was bleeding,” said Thompson, whose husband was treated for cuts on his head and legs when they arrived back on Lombok.

Additional reporting by Fransiska Nangoy, Gayatri Suroyo, Fanny Potkin, Agustinus Beo da Costa, Bernadette Christina Munthe, Tabita Diela, Cindy Silviana and Jessica Damiana in JAKARTA, Jamie Freed and Jack Kim in SINGAPORE, and Colin Packham in SYDNEY; Writing by John Chalmers; Editing by Neil Fullick
Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On-Global Quakes
« Reply #338 on: August 06, 2018, 06:47:07 AM »
Let's hope not.  :o   Hope your okay Palloy.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On MASSIVE 8.2 Pacific
« Reply #339 on: August 18, 2018, 07:02:43 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mDJsbEffKMY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mDJsbEffKMY&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On MASSIVE 8.2 Pacific Ranks Top 20 EVAH
« Reply #340 on: August 18, 2018, 07:05:44 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uYX8I24zoXs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uYX8I24zoXs&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On MASSIVE 8.2 Pacific
« Reply #341 on: August 18, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mDJsbEffKMY&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mDJsbEffKMY&fs=1</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LyIu58XfcY8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LyIu58XfcY8&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On - 7.0 Indonesia
« Reply #342 on: August 19, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CA3Av_Q-QiQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CA3Av_Q-QiQ&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On 7.1 Peru/Brazil Border
« Reply #344 on: August 24, 2018, 01:39:24 PM »
https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/7-1-magnitude-earthquake-hits-peru-brazil-border-region-1905599