PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> RE Rides to the Rescue!

AuthorTopic: RE Rides to the Rescue!  (Read 660 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
RE Rides to the Rescue!
« on: May 10, 2018, 07:52:26 PM »

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

My Household & Driving Helpers/Employees James & Serra ran into a problem.  They are getting married a week from Saturday  They had lined up the VFW Hall in Palmer for the ceremony and reception, which they got promised for free from one of the band members who works this hall regularly.  They are poor people who are both working min wage jobs in the food industry at the moment.  James was driving a cab but the company went out of biz a couple of months ago and now he is working Taco Bell until he can find something better.  Serra just got a job waitressing at IHOP.  They had twins almost a year old now, and Serra has an 8 year old daughter from a prior relationship.

Unfortunately last night they got a phone call and the hall they were promised was rented out to somebody else by the manager who apparently did not know they were promised the space.  So with slightly over a week to go for a wedding to which 100 people are expected to attend, they had no place to hold said wedding.  James was stressing BIG TIME.  They came over early in the day as both were off from the regular jobs to do some tasks I needed done.  More shelves to assemble, and I got my new folding Cripple Cart which needed to be unboxed and set up.  I got the story of their woes while they worked around the digs, and I knew what I had to do.

cripple cart
cripple cart
RE's new folding cripple cart

After they finished, we made appointments at a few of the places around here that have rooms and reception halls for rent, and we found a good spot on Meier Lake, which has an old campground that is being refurbished by a new owner.  8 Cabins and a big hall just north of Wasilla.  The price was not bad as these things go, but they don't have the money to book such a thing.  I booked it for them.  Way nicer than the VFW Hall.  They will work this off over time, although I will probably forgive half of it as my wedding present.

I feel really good about myself tonight.  :icon_sunny:  I am living true to my beliefs and putting my money where my mouth is.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: RE Rides to the Rescue!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:33:14 AM »
...we found a good spot on Meier Lake, which has an old campground that is being refurbished by a new owner.  8 Cabins and a big hall just north of Wasilla.  The price was not bad as these things go, but they don't have the money to book such a thing.  I booked it for them.  Way nicer than the VFW Hall.  They will work this off over time, although I will probably forgive half of it as my wedding present.
RE

A nice thing you did.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 05:03:51 AM »
...we found a good spot on Meier Lake, which has an old campground that is being refurbished by a new owner.  8 Cabins and a big hall just north of Wasilla.  The price was not bad as these things go, but they don't have the money to book such a thing.  I booked it for them.  Way nicer than the VFW Hall.  They will work this off over time, although I will probably forgive half of it as my wedding present.
RE

A nice thing you did.

I know there are people out there who would find it hard to believe, but I am really a very good man.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:01:06 AM »
You going to the wedding? You should take pics. I'm sure they can't afford a photographer either.

Nice thing you did. We know you aren't really a bad guy, those of us who know you IRL.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 07:40:59 AM »
You going to the wedding? You should take pics. I'm sure they can't afford a photographer either.

Nice thing you did. We know you aren't really a bad guy, those of us who know you IRL.

Assuming I make it thru the week here, I will be at the Wedding and I am the Official Videographer and Photographer.  I will bring my new Cripple Cart and have mounts on it for my Cameras.  Once I produce the Wedding Video, I will upload to Utoob if James & Serra approve.

There are some who have met me IRL who are not so enthused with my take on life.  Surly knows one of those people quite well.  He lives with her.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 08:18:35 AM »
Missus Eddie is in the same camp, although she isn't quite as negative as Contrary. You don't relate well to the distaff, by and large.

Because you're a misogynistic old coot, basically.  :)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:32:23 AM »
Missus Eddie is in the same camp, although she isn't quite as negative as Contrary. You don't relate well to the distaff, by and large.

I am NOT misogynistic!  I love women generally speaking.  I do not get on well wtih women who have a bug up the butt about men.  I cut them no slack, and they do not like that.  I will argue them down, I do not have to live with one of them and "make nice" like you do.  Tough nuggies they do not want to hear, but I pitch it regardless of that.. Mostly, they cannot take the heat so they scream and yell at me.  I got no patience for that shit either.  I can carve up Contrary or your wife like Thanksgiving Turkey any day, they are a breed apart and make no sense.  You have to live with that, I do not.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
Guys like me (and Surly too, apparently) are attracted to strong women with a mind of their own. They make good partners. But they have to be handled with tact and respect, or they can go off. Especially on politics, where they often tend to be influenced by their intuition more than by data.

Like my wife, who could not get my aversion to Hillary Clinton, even though I explained ad nauseum about my problems with her. They (like some Diners I could name) get emotional about their candidates and tend to ignore CFS at times. They still want to "pick a side" and don't get how much both sides are alike. Just not that sophisticated. They join one team or another.

There are women who get all the nuances, but in my experience a lot of those are lesbians ( like Camille Paglia, for instance). I'm not sure why that is.

You don't have to be nice to anybody, but in general, trying to argue with women based on a set of data points is futile. If you keep it low key and don't kick their sacred cows, you can communicate better than if you take a hard line.

Not that I expect you to change anything, or that it makes much difference anyway. LOL.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 11:33:56 AM »
You don't have to be nice to anybody, but in general, trying to argue with women based on a set of data points is futile. If you keep it low key and don't kick their sacred cows, you can communicate better than if you take a hard line.

Not that I expect you to change anything, or that it makes much difference anyway. LOL.

I am not partial in terms of being an asshole toward women.  I am an asshole toward stupid men also.  I just do not have patience for the bullshit coming out of the pie hole.  In fact if kids I am taking care of say stupid things or act stupid, I have little tolerance for that too.  You should have seen me taking care of 30 kids on my own.  I am a fucking Nazi like you wouldn't believe.  But they do behave and whatever the task is we had to do gets done.  No nonsense, no bullshit, no argument.  Listen and Obey.  Sadly, 99.9% of women refuse to do that.

As wives go, yours is OK and so in fact is Surly's and you can add K-Dog's to that also, but none of them is a person I could live with.  None are particularly logical in thinking and none in real good control of her self and emotions when being confronted.  You guys can deal with this because, mainly, you just don't confront it.  I do, and so I get on their nerves if I am around.  It is not misogyny though.  It is just how I am, and it is not a personality most women can deal with.  I will tell you that I can drive a woman truly bonkers to the point of physical violence.  My illuminati spawn girlfriend from college was partial to throwing dishes at me.  Real dishes, not paper plates.  I got good at ducking in those years.  My ex wife was my size and a very strong gymnast.  When she decided she had enough of me and threw me a sucker punch, it could and did knock me to the floor a couple of times.  But then she wants a fist fight, so she gets one.  We went at that full on a couple of times also.  Eventually we made up and made nice again, until we divorced of course.  lol.

RE
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:04:53 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 04:47:32 PM »

No nonsense, no bullshit, no argument.  Listen and Obey.  Sadly, 99.9% of women refuse to do that.

As wives go, yours is OK and so in fact is Surly's and you can add K-Dog's to that also, but none of them is a person I could live with.  None are particularly logical in thinking and none in real good control of her self and emotions when being confronted.  You guys can deal with this because, mainly, you just don't confront it.  I do, and so I get on their nerves if I am around.  It is not misogyny though.  It is just how I am, and it is not a personality most women can deal with.

I'm gonna sit this one out because there is no purpose. RE is utterly and completely full of shit, and blond AF to his own self-delusion. He complains that women are defective because they refuse to Listen and Obey. How about that?
What could I possibly add to this Received Wisdom?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 04:51:04 PM »

You never met her, so have no basis for evaluation. You only know her via RE (and my descriptions, which is like discerning the outside world in Plato's cave. She's not negative; it's just that she tolerates little bullshit and less rudeness.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 05:05:00 PM »
She's not negative; it's just that she tolerates little bullshit and less rudeness.

She doesn't tolerate it but she dishes it out in spades.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 05:53:11 PM »

You never met her, so have no basis for evaluation. You only know her via RE (and my descriptions, which is like discerning the outside world in Plato's cave. She's not negative; it's just that she tolerates little bullshit and less rudeness.

This is true and I apologize for talking out of school.

I really didn't mean that I thought she was a negative person at all,, but just that she reacted in a negative way to RE, based on his behavior, which we both HAVE experienced in the real world. I can easily understand how that could happen.  I have imagined her as being a lot like my partner. Your descriptions of her have given me the impression that she is a person of high integrity, courage , and compassion. Forgive me if what I said seemed to contradict that.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 06:17:08 PM »
She's not negative; it's just that she tolerates little bullshit and less rudeness.

RE

When you're a guest in someone's home, I think you owe them a certain amount of courtesy. Whatever you might think of someone's politics, you don't have to call them out on what you perceive as their ignorance and/or stupidity.

On this forum I say exactly what I think, right or wrong, and let the chips fall where they may. But in a social setting around people I don't know well, my politics won't even be mentioned unless my opinions are solicited. And if I think I'm on the other side of the fence politically, I'm certainly not going to be confrontational. I call that good manners and CFS.

I've spent way too much time around all kinds of people whom I disagree with to think I can just inform someone as to what appears  to me to just be the plain and simple facts. I know that facts seldom even matter, compared to things like emotions, personality, background, and toilet training.

I try to influence people by first letting them find out that I might be a person with something worth saying that they might want to listen to, some wisdom or depth of experience that gives me some credibility.  If people like you and respect you, then your opinion is much more likely to be received in a positive way.

Not that I have much of a social life, or ever did.

But that's how I handle my patients, at least,many of whom have a radically different world view than I do.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 06:45:20 PM »

RE

When you're a guest in someone's home, I think you owe them a certain amount of courtesy. Whatever you might think of someone's politics, you don't have to call them out on what you perceive as their ignorance and/or stupidity.

When you are a guest in someone's home, they should pay you some respect..They should not SCREAM and YELL at you.  I never raised my voice once.  I went outside onto the porch with Surly when he told me "when she gets like this, it's best to let her cool down".

End of story.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN