AuthorTopic: 😞 Depression Striking More Young People Than Ever  (Read 3327 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
😞 Depression Striking More Young People Than Ever
« on: May 12, 2018, 02:57:11 AM »
https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20180511/depression-striking-more-young-people-than-ever

Depression Striking More Young People Than Ever

By Robert Preidt

HealthDay Reporter

FRIDAY, May 11, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Americans are fast becoming a very depressed lot.

New research shows there's been a sharp spike in cases of major depression in the United States in recent years, especially among teens and millennials.

The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association analysis of medical claims data showed that the overall rate of major depression was 4.4 percent and that diagnosis rates rose 33 percent between 2013 and 2016. Those rates increased 63 percent among teens and 47 percent among millennials.

Diagnosis rates in 2016 varied by as much as 300 percent between states, from a high of 6.4 percent in Rhode Island to lows of 2.1 percent in Hawaii and 3.2 percent in Nevada.

Dr. Norman Sharpless details why doctors develop clinical trials, potential benefits, and how they bring new therapies to the rest of the world.

Diagnosis rates differed by as much or more than 400 percent among cities, from a high of 6.8 percent in Topeka, Kan., to lows of 1.5 percent in Laredo, Texas, and 2 percent in McAllen/Edinburg/Mission, Texas.

Women were twice as likely to be diagnosed with major depression than men, 6 percent vs. 3 percent, according to the health insurance company's Health of America Report, released Thursday.

People with major depression are nearly 30 percent less healthy, on average, than those without depression. Eighty-five percent of people with major depression have one or more other serious chronic health conditions, and nearly 30 percent have four or more other health conditions, according to the report authors.

People with major depression also use health care services more than those without a depression diagnosis, resulting in significantly higher health care spending -- about $10,673 compared to $4,283.

"Major depression diagnoses are growing quickly, especially for adolescents and millennials," said Trent Haywood, senior vice president and chief medical officer for Blue Cross Blue Shield.

"The high rates for adolescents and millennials could have a substantial health impact for decades to come. Further education and research is needed to identify methods for both physicians and patients to effectively treat major depression and begin a path to recovery and better overall health," Haywood said in a association news release.

One mental health expert offered some possible explanations.

"It is possible that the increased rates of depression in adolescents are related to a combination of increased electronics use and sleep disruptions in already vulnerable individuals," said Dr. Karyn Horowitz, a psychiatrist affiliated with Emma Pendleton Bradley Hospital in East Providence, R.I.

"Increased use of electronics, video games more commonly in boys and social media/texting more commonly in girls, can lead to increased conflict both within the home and with peers," she said in the release.

"In preliminary literature, high users of social media have been linked with higher rates of social isolation than low users," Haywood said. "It is important to further explore this relationship."

WebMD News from HealthDay
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: 😞 Depression Striking More Young People Than Ever
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »
They should have asked about those things while they were surveying for The Report, then they would be getting somewhere, and those percentages wouldn't have been so aimless and boring.  I imagine not having a job (and wanting one) would be depressing, not having a girlfriend, not having your own pace to live, and all that.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »
How much of the depression that's out there is some kind of organic chemical imbalance, and how much is just a perfectly normal reaction to living in a fucked up world that fails to meet most people's basic human needs?  One that is visibly collapsing in a way that influences people on a conscious and also on a subconscious level.

People who are fully awake can't help but be depressed, I think....but I also think that those who don't get it on a conscious level are still affected, and even people in serious denial. Lying to yourself and others has pathological consequences for for the one doing the lying.

I think there is some of both, but probably much more of the latter than what is generally understood.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:40:27 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »

People who are fully awake can't help but be depressed, I think....but I also think that those who don't get it on a conscious level are still affected, and even people in serious denial. Lying to yourself and others has pathological consequences for for the one doing the lying.

Collapse doesn't depress me.  Being a cripple depresses me.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
Which is perfectly understandable. How could it not?

That goes to exactly what I'm talking about.

It depresses me that no matter how hard I work that I'm always struggling to come up with my silent partner ( Uncle Sam's ) half of the booty. That I'm always one bad year away from bankruptcy. Why shouldn't I be depressed about half my income going to conduit schemes and grifting elites at the top of the food chain?

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 10:57:24 AM »
It's not that different really, than the fruit vendor who self-immolated and started the Arab Spring. It keeps getting harder and harder and at some point there isn't enough to go around.

Poor people might get there first but we're all going to get there at some point. Just a matter of time. Financial repression is real.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:12:40 AM »
Which is perfectly understandable. How could it not?

That goes to exactly what I'm talking about.

It depresses me that no matter how hard I work that I'm always struggling to come up with my silent partner ( Uncle Sam's ) half of the booty. That I'm always one bad year away from bankruptcy. Why shouldn't I be depressed about half my income going to conduit schemes and grifting elites at the top of the food chain?

Every time I go see the Bimbo PCP she asks me if I am Depressed.  I never answer yes, because I know she will prescribe anti-depressants  My answer is that I am "disappointed" in my health outcome here at the end of my life.  She doesn't have anti-disappointment med to prescribe.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
RE: Collapse doesn't depress me.  Being a cripple depresses me.

Same here. This was surprising:

Eighty-five percent of people with major depression have one or more other serious chronic health conditions, and nearly 30 percent have four or more other health conditions, according to the report authors.

30% with four or more serious chronic health conditions - that's a lot.  Why don't they make some cheap, safe happy pills?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
RE: Collapse doesn't depress me.  Being a cripple depresses me.

Same here. This was surprising:

Eighty-five percent of people with major depression have one or more other serious chronic health conditions, and nearly 30 percent have four or more other health conditions, according to the report authors.

30% with four or more serious chronic health conditions - that's a lot.  Why don't they make some cheap, safe happy pills?

Let's see...

RE's chronic health problems...

1- PAD- Walking painful & difficult

2- Loss of appetite

3-  Regular constipation

4- Hives/Rash/Itch

6- Neck Pain

7- Muscle Weakness

8- Tinnitis

9- Urinary Tract/Bladder retention problems

Otherwise, I am doing fine.  ::)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 07:00:27 PM »
As mentioned previously I have suffered with chronic depression for decades and have found some relief with magnesium, adaptogen and yoga meditation. Apparently my HPA axis got messed up from an emotionally abusive childhood resulting in depression and a number of other problems. SSRIs almost killed me.

Now I am reading the SSRIs are being prescribed for Morgellons disease which Harald Kautz attributes to heavy metals exposure and chemtrails particulates. Can this be true? Does anyone know wtf is going on? How can we not be depressed with this shit?

Kautz, who seems to know the science, agrees they are trying to kill us all. In canít argue with that.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 07:07:45 PM by moniker »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 07:05:02 AM »
As mentioned previously I have suffered with chronic depression for decades and have found some relief with magnesium, adaptogen and yoga meditation. Apparently my HPA axis got messed up from an emotionally abusive childhood resulting in depression and a number of other problems. SSRIs almost killed me.

Now I am reading the SSRIs are being prescribed for Morgellons disease which Harald Kautz attributes to heavy metals exposure and chemtrails particulates. Can this be true? Does anyone know wtf is going on? How can we not be depressed with this shit?

Kautz, who seems to know the science, agrees they are trying to kill us all. In canít argue with that.

There is a case to be made that The Great Culling is already underway via several vectors. It will unfold over generations because Big Money is patient, until it isn't. And if enough of us "useless eaters" aren't retiring off the books quickly enough, there's always a designer pathogen waiting in the wings. Note how Trump is trying to pull back allocated money for Ebola prevention. Nice.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
⛵ Avoiding Depression by having a great fantasy life
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »

There is a case to be made that The Great Culling is already underway via several vectors. It will unfold over generations because Big Money is patient, until it isn't. And if enough of us "useless eaters" aren't retiring off the books quickly enough, there's always a designer pathogen waiting in the wings. Note how Trump is trying to pull back allocated money for Ebola prevention. Nice.

I beat those Illumination Useless Eater Exterminators.  I am 3 years of useless eating in disabled retirement and still going.  Every month of free mailbox money I get now is a bonus.

Don't miss the retirement experience.  If I was just the tiniest bit healthier, I would be having the time of my life.  I wouldn't even trade being young again for it.  I would be living on the Good Ship Doomstead Diner in the Bar Harbor Marina and running my little Bistro Bar & Restaurant the Doomstead Diner across the street on the main drag though town with all the tourist traps with a view of my boat so I could keep an eye on her during the workday.  I would be sailing the DD every weekend out to my secret cove on an uninhabited island and stocking it with Preps for SHTF Day.  In the coldest part of the winter I would sail down to South Carolina to take care of SUN☼ Bizness.

In the evenings I would be aboard the DD, Admining the Diner on the net at my Nav Station, equipped with all the latest electronic gizmos.  including a HAM Radio setup to run a digital alternet when the WWW goes down.

Sadly of course, numerous systems in my decrepit body are not cooperating here, so I can't live out this fantasy IRL, but I do have enough money to make it come true.  If only I were healthy...

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 10:04:42 AM »
Your fantasy sounds an awful lot like the good old fashioned capitalist American Dream, for a commie. :)

Since it's a fantasy (and a perfectly good one imho) there's no need for me to rain on your parade, but it'd take a whole LOT of money to pull that off in Bar Harbor.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 10:18:11 AM »
Your fantasy sounds an awful lot like the good old fashioned capitalist American Dream, for a commie. :)

Since it's a fantasy (and a perfectly good one imho) there's no need for me to rain on your parade, but it'd take a whole LOT of money to pull that off in Bar Harbor.

Nah.  $50K for the boat.  Another $50K down payment on the lease for the restaurant space.  Maybe $100K.  $50K for furnishings.  I might have to scrimp at the beginning with El Cheapo used tables and chairs.  I still would have left over money for emergencies, plus the monthly mailbox money.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »

It certainly does, and the difficulties of running a restaurant, out the back of nowhere yet full of hungry well-heeled tourists, would require you to exploit the workers with long hours and low wages if it was to make a decent profit. 

And then you would be whining about the amount you pay in taxes, and how little you get for it in services, and how you can never find the time to get away to sail your yacht, and how expensive it is keep it ship-shape because of silly government safety regulations.