AuthorTopic: something energy related worthy of posting  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
something energy related worthy of posting
« on: May 18, 2018, 07:41:24 PM »
If you are interested in alt energy then a look at this link... http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/08/20170803-arl.html
If you prefer a science paper check this out: https://waset.org/publications/5508/hydrogen-generation-by-accelerating-aluminum-corrosion-in-water-with-alumina
Nano aluminum that reacts with water to produce massive quantities of hydrogen gas. Yes you would have the energy to make the aluminum but you store it in a nice neat package and make hydrogen from it on demand... This is fascinating technology...  I rarely beat this drum but this is worth it.
David
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:20:27 PM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: something energy related worthy of posting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 10:43:16 PM »
An acid or a base has considerable embedded energy in it, but as it is a catalyst (not consumed by the reaction), it theoretically lasts for ever.
This ARL powder has embedded energy but it is not a catalyst.  It is a reactant, so is consumed when hydrogen is produced.
A fully charged Li-ion battery would contain more energy of a type suited to power a mobile phone.
But the ARL powder doesn't have more energy than a Telsa car battery.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/08/20170803-arl.html
...one kilogram of aluminum powder can produce 220 kW of energy in just three minutes.
But 220 kW is not an amount of energy, so do they mean 220 kW.hour or 220 kW.second or 220 kW.3-minutes ?
You can either guess what they mean, or chuck it in the bin because a car that only goes for 3 minutes is no use.

1 litre of water takes 4.41 kW.h of electricity to split it.
H2O + 4.41 kW.h => H2 + O
And that amount of energy will be the same how ever you do the splitting (Hess's Law).
There's no way round it.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 01:25:04 AM »

There are large deposits of aluminum ore (Bauxite) worldwide but aluminum ore is chemically similar to the waste product produced when making hydrogen by combining aluminum and water.  The energy it takes to mine and refine a pound of aluminum is going to exceed that which is provided by a reaction to liberate hydrogen due to conservation of energy considerations.  Perhaps the space program could use this technology but for an average application it is an energy sink, not a source.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:28:56 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 04:27:08 AM »
The idea is to use it as an energy storage device not as a source of energy, I understand that. The beauty of the alloy is that it is inert and reacts directly with water no alkali or acid required. Think emergency power supply or on demand hydrogen generation. Or refining it using excess wind and solar again as storage. I work in RE trust me storage is a problem. Lithium batteries are short term local storage think looooong term. You could make it ship it and stockpile for a rainy day... quite literally.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:50:11 AM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »
So the real value is that it's a "charged battery" (of a sort) that can sit on the shelf indefinitely without sulfating or otherwise being degraded.

And then, after its energy is exhausted, can be recharged without having some limited number of "cycles" before it turns into a boat anchor?

Am I getting that right?

Sounds really good. You're right.

Can you buy one, or is it like the carbon nanotube unicorn, only existing in a lab somewhere?
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 09:03:32 AM »
So the real value is that it's a "charged battery" (of a sort) that can sit on the shelf indefinitely without sulfating or otherwise being degraded.

And then, after its energy is exhausted, can be recharged without having some limited number of "cycles" before it turns into a boat anchor?

Am I getting that right?

Sounds really good. You're right.

Can you buy one, or is it like the carbon nanotube unicorn, only existing in a lab somewhere?
Exactly, storage not energy source. Can you buy it in volume? Not yet ... it is real and is scalling up but not a consumer product yet. A real interesting application is undergoing angel funding. Think remote  Northern power. tonnes of cheap solar in the summer expensive diesel in the winter. Now imagine making fuel all summer using it all winter then reprocessing it the next year... It's still early days but it is fascinating. storage cost is minimal and not time limited And reprocessing uses existing technology and you can ship it.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »
If the Canucks can make free energy and store it indefinitely, I think that makes Canada a strategic security risk for America. We might have to invade.

(In the summer, of course.)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 10:27:09 AM »
If the Canucks can make free energy and store it indefinitely, I think that makes Canada a strategic security risk for America. We might have to invade.

(In the summer, of course.)
You already do, trust me I live in cottage country. And don't you go mixing those two words together I never used the words "free" and "energy" anywhere. You know they come out of the woodwork when you do ;D 8)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 05:05:50 PM »
I wondered how much Canadian real estate was owned by US citizens. It took me about a minute to find out that it's very easy to make real estate transactions completely opaque in Canada, and that nobody really knows how much real estate is owned by foreigners. It simply is not tracked.

How much of the summer population in N. Ontario is from south-of-the-border, would you say?

Canadian property looks great to own to me, if I had that kind of money, but I do see that Toronto and Vancouver have both added a 15% tax for foreign buyers. With the Loonie so weak against the USD, it isn't much of a deterrent, I wouldn't think.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 05:57:01 PM »
Most Americans we see here are renters. Lots of American owners in muskoka to the west and Kingston to the south. The Maritimes of course. Real estate prices are crazy in toronto and Vancouver.  The market has cooled this year with the foreign buyers tax. The stories are starting to come out about dropping prices... we will see. Those 2 markets are due for a correction.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
Here is another possible solution going forward. All the best work in RE these days is about storage and transformation. So we know we can make the power we just have to figure out how we can use it later. Here is another path. http://www.iflscience.com/environment/scientists-take-a-massive-step-forward-in-converting-air-into-fuel/
Going forward there will be hundreds of these solutions. The trick is reading through the press release and seeing the potential. Does it work? Does it work thermodynamically? In this case distributed fuel processing capability with an end product that is already in use everywhere and uses off the shelf technology. Imagine harnessing cheap solar or excess wind in remote locations and making gasoline and diesel without pipelines tankers monopolies and fuel trucks. Undrstand this is not about climate mitigation or free energy this is about local resiliency...

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 06:35:06 PM »
Here is another possible solution going forward. All the best work in RE these days is about storage and transformation. So we know we can make the power we just have to figure out how we can use it later.

Here is another path.
http://www.iflscience.com/environment/scientists-take-a-massive-step-forward-in-converting-air-into-fuel/
Going forward there will be hundreds of these solutions. The trick is reading through the press release and seeing the potential. Does it work? Does it work thermodynamically? In this case distributed fuel processing capability with an end product that is already in use everywhere and uses off the shelf technology. Imagine harnessing cheap solar or excess wind in remote locations and making gasoline and diesel without pipelines tankers monopolies and fuel trucks. Understand this is not about climate mitigation or free energy this is about local resiliency...

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.