AuthorTopic: Johan Galtung On The End Of The American Empire  (Read 399 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Johan Galtung On The End Of The American Empire
« on: May 21, 2018, 09:17:42 AM »
Johan Galtung is elderly and I had a hard time understanding him when I listened to this interview. He was not really on my radar, but I think he has things to say that should be listened to by those who drop in on the forum. I have not seen anyone else post his stuff. Maybe I just missed it, dunno.

But in my view he gets the world geopolitical picture very right, but he is not tuned in so much to things like climate and peak oil. But this is a short interview, and I'd like to listen some more to what he has to say.

He does have some predictions. He sees the arc of US politics following the path that Spain took into fascism, and he calls Trump "clinically insane" and explains why he says that.

He says Xi is a practicing Buddhist, and that people trying to understand China don't get that, but that it's important. I tried to research that, and it leads one down some interesting rabbit holes. Did you know that he now holds the title in China of "Living Buddhist Deity"? 

My political science professor, a very bright man and a wonderful teacher, was Korean. (actually Korean-American, to be more correct, although in those days we didn't hyphenate so much). He always said we should regard the prevailing spiritual thought in China to be Taoism. I'm not sure that those two religions are much at odds. They are rather similar from what I see. I'd welcome some insight from any of our resident Buddhists, although I doubt they'll see this. Here's hoping they do.

He's a Norwegian, he's written over 100 books. He has a scholarly pedigree spanning my entire lifetime, and he's been fairly good at predicting the future with regards to global politics and culture. He is on Israel's shit list because he has been calling them out on their aggression for some years. FYI.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8npPSB90ZU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/o8npPSB90ZU&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:22:37 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Johan Galtung On The End Of The American Empire
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
Johan Galtung is elderly and I had a hard time understanding him when I listened to this interview. He was not really on my radar, but I think he has things to say that should be listened to by those who drop in on the forum. I have not seen anyone else post his stuff. Maybe I just missed it, dunno.

But in my view he gets the world geopolitical picture very right, but he is not tuned in so much to things like climate and peak oil. But this is a short interview, and I'd like to listen some more to what he has to say.

He does have some predictions. He sees the arc of US politics following the path that Spain took into fascism, and he calls Trump "clinically insane" and explains why he says that.

He says Xi is a practicing Buddhist, and that people trying to understand China don't get that, but that it's important. I tried to research that, and it leads one down some interesting rabbit holes. Did you know that he now holds the title in China of "Living Buddhist Deity"? 

My political science professor, a very bright man and a wonderful teacher, was Korean. (actually Korean-American, to be more correct, although in those days we didn't hyphenate so much). He always said we should regard the prevailing spiritual thought in China to be Taoism. I'm not sure that those two religions are much at odds. They are rather similar from what I see. I'd welcome some insight from any of our resident Buddhists, although I doubt they'll see this. Here's hoping they do.

He's a Norwegian, he's written over 100 books. He has a scholarly pedigree spanning my entire lifetime, and he's been fairly good at predicting the future with regards to global politics and culture. He is on Israel's shit list because he has been calling them out on their aggression for some years. FYI.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o8npPSB90ZU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/o8npPSB90ZU&fs=1</a>
thank you Eddie.  It was informative. I enjoyed his pacing slow and we'll thought out. Not a product of the sound bite Era.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
There are some longer utoobs from last year that I intend to catch. He reminds me a little bit of Bucky Fuller. Hard to follow, but well worth listening to.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 07:13:13 PM »

Who is JOHaN GALTung?
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »
He more or less invented the idea that the US is simultaneously a republic and an empire.
"The State is a body of armed men."