AuthorTopic: 💡 Electrical Resilience  (Read 18649 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 💡 Electrical Resilience
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2020, 11:06:40 AM »
Electromagnets can build up the same flux density of permanent rare earth magnets.  A common freak out expletive in doom despair is to claim we won't be able to build windmills without rare earth minerals.

Bullshit.  How the hell do you suppose they would have built a windmill in 1942 if they had needed to.  Using am Iron/Copper motor Tesla would have understood and probably designed is how.

If I ever catch up on some of my other projects I should build an all copper and steel generator designed for low rpm use just to show how stupid people are.  Build the thing, write an article and explain all the info to do the same was only 5 clicks away in Google but that all you fools fell for 'we need rare earths' without bothering to find out what the hell magnetic flux is and how its measured first.

Put a deposit on copper and have criminal penalties for companies who manufacture copper items with out taking steps to recycle used copper.  Heavy deposits if need be to keep copper in the system.

Recycle copper and there is enough iron to make windmills forever.  As long as there is energy to refine the metal and enough palm oil for lubrication.  Insulate the wires with cotton if need be like it was before WW1.  Or use HEMP.

If engineers ran the world we'd be around for a few hundred more years.

Hemp is in glitter because it is the answer to everything according to some.
correct me if I'm wrong but small old windmills used magnets not coils due to the variable nature of wind. You would need to power up said electromagnet to get the flux which would use power. In a motor driven generator that does not matter but for small  wind magnets are better. Rare earth types are not required but they are more powerful
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 11:21:29 AM by Nearingsfault »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »
Old School Antiquetech 1840's.....

https://www.e-rara.ch/zut/content/zoom/11264736 (tap on the portion of the page to read)
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2020, 11:59:49 AM »
What David said.

Antique low voltage DC turbines are collectors items. But most of them were barely adequate to charge a single lead-acid battery....maybe enough for a light to read by or to run a radio for an hour or two. Most put out a few hundred watts.

The best thing about wind generators is that they spin...and whatever you use, coils or permanent magnets,, you can build it on a commonly available trailer axle.

Erecting a pole is the hard part of most wind turbine installations, if you ask me.

I'm not an engineer, but I built a little one using a Delco alternator and a neodymium magnet, under the direction of a more experienced guy. I also built a bigger radial design of my teacher Mike.

Making blades is an art form. In the old days they used Douglas fir and made them like the airplane props of the day.

Most people have about as much chance of creating their own wind power as they do building their own cell phone, if you ask me.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.