AuthorTopic: The new currency at the end of the world  (Read 80 times)

Offline dantesshoes

• Rookie
  • Dishwasher
    • View Profile
The new currency at the end of the world
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:53:03 AM »
So guys, what do you think will replace cash at the end of the world? I mean, I have my chickens and my eggs, and I have seen some pretty good post-collapse currency lists such as this one (https://thepreppingguide.com/barter-trade-items-postcollapse/) of a lot of things that soar in price when the market collapses. But is anyone stocking anything in particular?

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: The new currency at the end of the world
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 07:23:34 AM »
The addictive things - alcohol, tobacco, chocolate.  Simple medical treatments - pain-killers, antiseptic cream, sticky plasters.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:24:11 AM »
I think the things that other people have suggested and you've probably heard before.

Pre 1964 silver US coins will probably be worth stockpiling.

Barter items like cartridges for common caliber rifles, like .22 shells, .308 Winchester, .223 Remington.

I you have a place to store it, I think food staples, like dry beans and rice stored properly in air free containers and canned goods are a great low cost, high value barter item. And no matter how much of that you do, it might not be enough for you and yours anyway. You can't have too much food. In a crisis, food and medicine are what people need.

Ibuprofen, tylenol, aspirin, amoxicillin, keflex, zithromax, cipro, The last 4 are prescription items here, but maybe you can still get them online.

Can't beat your eggs. That's a good one. Renewable resource.

Alcohol, yes.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:30:05 AM »
Seeds are great, but they aren't forever. Keep them in the freezer. Buy them on sale at the end of garden planting season. In Texas right now, you can buy any garden seeds for 25% off. They last at least a few years in the freezer.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 03:12:45 PM »
 Small solar and single 12 volt deep cycle batteries. A little light would be magic. Charge controllers.  Grain ; empires are built on grain and it's a fairly dense enough form of currency. Hand tools and the ability to use it. Skills skills and more skills. Prepared canned food. Basically anything that people would miss enough to pay a huge premium for to get a taste of the good life again. I wouldn't stock cigarettes but I might make room for tobacco seed...
Top of brain
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.