AuthorTopic: GRIFTING  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
GRIFTING
« on: May 26, 2018, 05:17:54 PM »
First one makes one's self sick by thumbing ones nose at good health practices. Then one expects help and to be made better at the expense of everybody else, all the while criticizing the helpers as next to worthless. What do you call this kind of person? A con or a grifter, or something else? Spare us the sickening hypocritical drama, day after day. It's just too much!

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: GRIFTING
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »
Sickness and death come to us all, and the prospect of both of them is humbling. Almost everyone in our culture hastens death by their lifestyle choices. That's a fact. And when the inevitable does come, we throw ourselves at the mercy of the sick care system.

I'd like to think I won't do that, but until you're there, making the decision, it's conjecture.

Almost all first world humans are guilty of grabbing more than their share of the planet's bounty at somebody else's expense, too.

We're all grifters. Even some people here who would very much like to believe otherwise about themselves.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:06:20 AM »
But the difference, Eddie, is that you are owning up to it rather than lying ly trying to pass yourself off as a victim. A victim of God knows what while so much was going for you. The smell of victomology stinks to high heaven around here along with the lying and yes even your rationalizing and condoning that self delusion.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 11:21:03 AM »
Nope Eddie. No way to see you as a grifter in the life you have led. And what your loyalty to a lowlife bum is all about beats me. Apart from having been born in the US and all that that entailed, I have never been a grifter either. Just like you I was taught not to be. I haven't been.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 12:19:00 PM »
Almost all first world humans are guilty of grabbing more than their share of the planet's bounty at somebody else's expense, too.

We're all grifters. Even some people here who would very much like to believe otherwise about themselves.

If you participate the the American economy, you benefit from privilege, with a standard of living provided by the megabucks and insured by the Military of Global Empire. (After you read John Perkins, there's no going back.)

I don't know if we're grifters, but by all means we are fortunate sons (and daughters) benefiting from the extraction of resources and labor all over the world.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »

If you participate the the American economy, you benefit from privilege, with a standard of living provided by the megabucks and insured by the Military of Global Empire. (After you read John Perkins, there's no going back.)

I don't know if we're grifters, but by all means we are fortunate sons (and daughters) benefiting from the extraction of resources and labor all over the world.
Pretty much in agreement, Surly, especially about Perkins. So does that make most US citizens the equivalent of Hillary and Donald, and if so, then how to extricate ourselves since the leaders set the best example of palm out while in office.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 01:19:04 PM »

England was a mirror of us in earlier days as well. Perhaps we will just slide away into the background as they did.  :dontknow:

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 05:17:28 AM »
First one makes one's self sick by thumbing ones nose at good health practices. Then one expects help and to be made better at the expense of everybody else, all the while criticizing the helpers as next to worthless. What do you call this kind of person? A con or a grifter, or something else? Spare us the sickening hypocritical drama, day after day. It's just too much!
Well, I tried not to blow. I really did. I worked on my grape vines. I reinforced garden fences to keep the chickens out. I worked on defensive barriers. I did some recycling salvage.... but people bragging about righteousness while showing the complete lack of the Fruit of the Holy Spirit... gets in my craw.

My first thoughts on reading this was the lines from "The Postman"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qedQyeu-70&t=41s

"How much did you pay to get in, Larry?....So bite me"

Something people dont know about me. I was a religious worker for 15 years amongst the most broken of our society. It would eventually break me as well. That was the cost of following jesus. So I know a bit about the depth of the soul and its evil and human weekness.

Sooooo...Karp, incase no one has pointed it out to you before..... This is your addiction. This hardness of the heart. This self righteousness.  I suspect you have a DEEP Self Hatred and this is how you bring yourself up. The classic reason for bullying. Probably something to do with your dad.

Here is the good news. You can Repent. If not, people have a tendency to become what they hate.

Soooo... Re has given us a fantastic Doomstead Diner at a large cost to himself. Artists are rarely stable.

Lets hear it for Re.... for his service and self sacrifice.
Im sticking with the Postman theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCZVs6I1tI

You also may want to pay attention to the villain in that story
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:29:03 AM by cernunnos5 »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 06:09:40 AM »

Something people dont know about me. I was a religious worker for 15 years amongst the most broken of our society. It would eventually break me as well. That was the cost of following jesus. So I know a bit about the depth of the soul and its evil and human weekness.

Remarkable.On Memorial Day, perhaps it is not too much to say, "Thank you for your service," and be able to sincerely mean it.

Soooo... RE has given us a fantastic Doomstead Diner at a large cost to himself. Artists are rarely stable.

Let's hear it for RE.... for his service and self sacrifice.

I would like to add my voice in assent. This Diner exists, and us Diners gathered to variously bitch about the menu, all because of RE. DD has been his purpose, his monomania for years. His dream realized. On today of all days, I'm glad he's back for a few more innings.

Creators are often terribly unhappy and/or self-destructive people, but what they create often lives on.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 07:01:06 AM »
Wei again, my calm and well thought out replys were removed in typical censorial fashion to flatter the subject. O K, have it your way, Surly, continue to labor willingly under abuse and insanity. Makes no damn difference to me, just more evidence of current pestilence in the air, here and everywhere. Live with it, as your hero says. What goes around comes around. He is getting his, and so will you, by golly. Cheers. Gave his life for art. What vomitous deplorable self deluding Bullshit!

Online David B.

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 07:06:30 AM »

[/quote]
Well, I tried not to blow. I really did. I worked on my grape vines. I reinforced garden fences to keep the chickens out. I worked on defensive barriers. I did some recycling salvage.... but people bragging about righteousness while showing the complete lack of the Fruit of the Holy Spirit... gets in my craw.

My first thoughts on reading this was the lines from "The Postman"   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qedQyeu-70&t=41s

"How much did you pay to get in, Larry?....So bite me"

Sooooo...Karp, incase no one has pointed it out to you before..... This is your addiction. This hardness of the heart. This self righteousness.  I suspect you have a DEEP Self Hatred and this is how you bring yourself up. The classic reason for bullying. Probably something to do with your dad.

Here is the good news. You can Repent. If not, people have a tendency to become what they hate.

Soooo... Re has given us a fantastic Doomstead Diner at a large cost to himself. Artists are rarely stable.

Lets hear it for Re.... for his service and self sacrifice.
Im sticking with the Postman theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnCZVs6I1tI

You also may want to pay attention to the villain in that story
[/quote]If you will forgive this atheist's reversion " Amen brother"...
Cheers,  David B.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 07:08:52 AM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 07:08:12 AM »
And my post has gone as well.  Surly you are losing it.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2018, 07:13:25 AM »

Remarkable.On Memorial Day, perhaps it is not too much to say, "Thank you for your service," and be able to sincerely mean it.

Soooo... RE has given us a fantastic Doomstead Diner at a large cost to himself. Artists are rarely stable.

Let's hear it for RE.... for his service and self sacrifice.

I would like to add my voice in assent. This Diner exists, and us Diners gathered to variously bitch about the menu, all because of RE. DD has been his purpose, his monomania for years. His dream realized. On today of all days, I'm glad he's back for a few more innings.

Creators are often terribly unhappy and/or self-destructive people, but what they create often lives on.

RE is certainly deserving of praise for the time and dedication he placed into the Diner and of course we are all grateful for our meeting place.

There are differing feelings and thoughts on this matter however, that have developed over the past eight years.

No matter the differing opinions however, none would dismiss or fail to acknowledge the massive dedicated work that this project entailed and our gratitude to RE.

My heart and memory also tells me that our selfless fellow Diner Peter, should be praised as well for his dedicated efforts in assisting RE  in this endeavour. 

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
And my post has gone as well.  Surly you are losing it.

Surly is doing  a remarkable job in his new position in my view. The windows have been opened a bit and some fresh air allowed into the premise.

Please, give him some slack and patience. The gent walks a tightrope without the aid of a balance pole.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 07:33:09 AM »
Could not agree with you more, GO. In my view, it is Surly who deserves the credit for building and maintaining this site with his superior gifts of voluminous background and personality of good will, his thinking and writing gifts in the service of that good will. Can you imagine walking that tightrope with irrational spewing of abuse even towards him who has done the work and support without any gratitude towards himself ever being expressed? I certainly could not have held up under those conditions!