AuthorTopic: This was never hopium, in case that's what anyone thought  (Read 12904 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: This was never hopium, in case that's what anyone thought
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 01:50:25 AM »
Now that Hubby is UE Nobody, can't you drive the Bugout Machine out of DC?  There are Paramedic Programs everywhere for your Young'un.  Or he could join the Diner Doom Nursing Squad!

GTFO of Dodge.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

nobody

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »
Ben  "nobody, whd, i don't think that doom in and of itself is spiritual, because doom is finite. personally, doom led me to anarchism, and doom created a sense of urgency in my anarchism, but it was anarcho-primitivist philosophy taken to its logical conclusion that spiritualized me."

From wiki:
For most primitivist anarchists, rewilding and reconnecting with the earth is a life project. They state that it should not be limited to intellectual comprehension or the practice of primitive skills, but, instead, that it is a deep understanding of the pervasive ways in which we are domesticated, fractured, and dislocated from ourselves, each other, and the world...
Rewilding is also described as having an emotional component, which involves healing ourselves and each other from what are perceived as 10,000-year-old wounds, learning how to live together in non-hierarchical and non-oppressive communities, and de-constructing the domesticating mindset in our social patterns. To the primitivist, "rewilding includes prioritizing direct experience and passion over mediation and alienation, re-thinking every dynamic and aspect of reality, connecting with our feral fury to defend our lives and to fight for a liberated existence, developing more trust in our intuition and being more connected to our instincts, and regaining the balance that has been virtually destroyed after thousands of years of patriarchal control and domestication. Rewilding is the process of becoming uncivilized."

Hi Ben, this all makes sense up until spriritulism.  Can you fill in more about making that leap?

nobody

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 02:09:17 AM »
Now that Hubby is UE Nobody, can't you drive the Bugout Machine out of DC?  There are Paramedic Programs everywhere for your Young'un.  Or he could join the Diner Doom Nursing Squad!

GTFO of Dodge.

RE

The bugout is for sale.  Young'un wants to finish this program with what few compatriots he's been able to scratch out of our shabby existence.  It's actually not so easy to get into these programs and they don't "translate"; you can't move from one to another.  Very segregated.  Believe me, I've been all over this all this time.  I never wanted to spend 10 minutes here, let alone years.  Young'un wants until autumn here and we're trying to make it.  Jeff's still working; the UE turns out to be an accounting trick.  The company claims less employees and gets some kind of reward for this. 
But everyday is anything-can-happen-day.
I hear you.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 02:19:25 AM »
Nobody
Id hate to think its a mistake to just nod or say hello to anyone out walking. "when things break down this is where we'll be" do you mean that will be being unsafe to go outside alone, or do you mean that you are stuck in that location? It seems to me that if you like the woods and nature, why not leave the city, you need a bugout plan.

ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 02:25:40 AM »

The bugout is for sale.  Young'un wants to finish this program with what few compatriots he's been able to scratch out of our shabby existence.  It's actually not so easy to get into these programs and they don't "translate"; you can't move from one to another.  Very segregated.  Believe me, I've been all over this all this time.  I never wanted to spend 10 minutes here, let alone years.  Young'un wants until autumn here and we're trying to make it.  Jeff's still working; the UE turns out to be an accounting trick.  The company claims less employees and gets some kind of reward for this. 
But everyday is anything-can-happen-day.
I hear you.

Why sell the BM?  Where will you live in its place?

I do understand the Young'un having some peer group he doesn't want to leave, but I tend to disagree about non-translational programs.  This is one of the things (many  :icon_mrgreen: ) I am expert on, I know academia and Goobermint Licensing for various professions, particualrly in the Education and Med depts.  Besides being licensed with the CDL, I'm licensed as a Clinical Chemist, a Pulmonary and Repiratory therapist and Cardiac Catheterization tech, a Teacher in 4 sub-specialties and now am working out the logistics on the Nursing end to pull this one off as cheap as possible.  Follow my posting on this as it progresses here.

Not everyone is an autodidact, so some of what I recommend won't be possible, but you have said before your young'un is a bright fellow, so I am going to assume if motivated he can follow the path.

GTFO of Dodge.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

nobody

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 02:28:57 AM »
U-Bob: "Nobody
Id hate to think its a mistake to just nod or say hello to anyone out walking. "when things break down this is where we'll be" do you mean that will be being unsafe to go outside alone, or do you mean that you are stuck in that location? It seems to me that if you like the woods and nature, why not leave the city, you need a bugout plan."

"When things break down this is where we'll be" meant:  Any old situation wherein you think you need a gun.  More people homeless and desperate; maybe oneself.  No protection.  No way home.
I seem to do nothing but make bugout plans.  I have about 60 of them.  It's all about timing for us.  It's been all about timing for years.  It's already unsafe to go out alone.  for me.

nobody

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:04 AM »
RE:  GTFO of Dodge.

Duly noted.  To be cont.  I have to get my youngest to school right this minute.

nobody

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »
RE:  "GTFO of Dodge.  GTFO of Dodge.  GTFO of Dodge., etc."

Response:  I hear you.  I hear you.  I hear you.
I do.  I wonder if we could discuss this Getting The Fuck Out of Dodge ..with kids.  There are more members aboard with kids and I think this condition (of being with children) is quite a complication.  I'd like to hear from others about it.

And please, RE and Schtuchenhammered (perfect, U-Bob), more quotes about the Whore of Babylon.  I just can't laugh that hard but I'll happily die trying.

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
Ben  "nobody, whd, i don't think that doom in and of itself is spiritual, because doom is finite. personally, doom led me to anarchism, and doom created a sense of urgency in my anarchism, but it was anarcho-primitivist philosophy taken to its logical conclusion that spiritualized me."

From wiki:
For most primitivist anarchists, rewilding and reconnecting with the earth is a life project. They state that it should not be limited to intellectual comprehension or the practice of primitive skills, but, instead, that it is a deep understanding of the pervasive ways in which we are domesticated, fractured, and dislocated from ourselves, each other, and the world...
Rewilding is also described as having an emotional component, which involves healing ourselves and each other from what are perceived as 10,000-year-old wounds, learning how to live together in non-hierarchical and non-oppressive communities, and de-constructing the domesticating mindset in our social patterns. To the primitivist, "rewilding includes prioritizing direct experience and passion over mediation and alienation, re-thinking every dynamic and aspect of reality, connecting with our feral fury to defend our lives and to fight for a liberated existence, developing more trust in our intuition and being more connected to our instincts, and regaining the balance that has been virtually destroyed after thousands of years of patriarchal control and domestication. Rewilding is the process of becoming uncivilized."

Hi Ben, this all makes sense up until spriritulism.  Can you fill in more about making that leap?

that's a great quote from wiki, nobody, that i hadn't read before. thanks. i know your question is asking for personal detail but i don't have the time this morning. simply put, going spiritual was the logical conclusion of my anarchism because spiritualism is the organic state of man. secularism is the logical conclusion of civilization because it is the synthetic way to achieve a hive mind -- by stripping mankind of its diverse cultural inclinations that are based in spirituality. as with the Borg from star trek. once i truly understood this i was swept away. not that we ever really discussed primitivism or rewilding, but i'm forever indebted to el gallinazo for showing me how to blaze a trail.

loved the comment on your recent walk.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »
RE:  "GTFO of Dodge.  GTFO of Dodge.  GTFO of Dodge., etc."

Response:  I hear you.  I hear you.  I hear you.
I do.  I wonder if we could discuss this Getting The Fuck Out of Dodge ..with kids.  There are more members aboard with kids and I think this condition (of being with children) is quite a complication.  I'd like to hear from others about it.

And please, RE and Schtuchenhammered (perfect, U-Bob), more quotes about the Whore of Babylon.  I just can't laugh that hard but I'll happily die trying.

Hi Nobody, Kid's and Doom or GTFO just don't mix in my experience with mine.

It has to do with the eternal optimism of youth, and the meeting of life long inseparable friends in school. Then there is that wonderful Idealism of youth, they and their friends are going to change the world, live forever, care for one another.

It is most difficult, probably impossible, to turn them into worried, fearful, crusty old timers before they arrive there on there own.

Life is a bowl of cherries to most kid's and it might not be wise not to let them enjoy their youth.  Just my two centavos Nobody.

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2013, 04:30:51 PM »
Nobody
Thats an extremely raw nerve here the question of family agreeing to go. Myself and son are in a minority of two, the others are opposed to going anywhere. I'm allowed to go and set up a farm/holiday shack if it shuts me up somewhere that I can go for the weekend on a friday evening and be back sunday evening. Im checkmated on that because it was agreed to almost 10 years ago, but I never did it and instead invested in rental property. They think that is more than reasonable.

I dont have enough money to do that now, I need about 2-3 times as much as I have to spend to find a decent sized property on a river or lake that I can commute to on weekends and use a timer irrigation system during the week. It just cant be done now and interstate is the only affordable way forward. Im planning for two of us to go ahead and get started, travelling whenever possible and the others will follow only when they are forced to face changing circumstances in the city.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:34:13 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

nobody

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
nobody:  " I wonder if we could discuss this Getting The Fuck Out of Dodge ..with kids.  There are more members aboard with kids and I think this condition (of being with children) is quite a complication.  I'd like to hear from others about it.

U-Bob   "Thats an extremely raw nerve here the question of family agreeing to go... I'm allowed to go and set up a farm/holiday shack if it shuts me up somewhere that I can go for the weekend on a friday evening and be back sunday evening. Im checkmated on that...I dont have enough money to do that now, I need about 2-3 times as much as I have to spend to find a decent sized property ...Im planning for two of us to go ahead and get started, travelling whenever possible and the others will follow only when they are forced to face changing circumstances in the city."

Stewie  "Our reasons for moving were totally un-doom related in a way...This seemed to give them some say in things and they were happy with that."

Ox  "It is most difficult, probably impossible, to turn them into worried, fearful, crusty old timers before they arrive there on there own."

Thanks so much for these responses.  Highly dissimilar. 
RE, we've talked of this before in Reverse; the families almost always working against themselves, the reasons for leaving; the perceptions of the kids so different from that of adults; like we live in 2 different worlds.  It could be time to open this up and talk some more.  I'm all for it.  When I am told to GTFO of Dodge, I find I cannot without crossing the rubicon of this small but imperative, built-in community.

nobody

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 06:46:04 PM »
Stewie, Hi, nice to talk you, downunder.  My family knows what happened; I did fess up today.  No one was surprised but no one wants to retreat into the woods and remain there.. at this point.  It's a long story that may come out if people want to talk about it.  Your saga is interesting; very organic.  I wish we could have drifted on out to a more sane and self-sufficient lifestyle years and years ago...But in the FSA, this takes substantial capitol; it was financially verboten years ago.

Which brings us to U-Bob:
Very familiar, the extremely raw nerve aspect;  (Like Ox said, "kids and doom just don't mix...").  You and I are very familiar with the strange aspect of living within a sect which one is not wholly in tune with.  This is my family but they think I'm cracked.  They love me; they just don't believe me.  I hope you and others will talk more about this.  No matter how well-intentioned, RE and others who are not parents just can't assume this reality.  It's not just you moving or laying down the law.  These are whole, entire, other persons.  How hard does one push, discard and overrule their own children?  Especially, when said kids are near or at their own age of consent?

nobody

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
Hi again, Ben.  How lucky for me that you turn up now and then.  I know how hard it must be to get to the net.  I missed El Gallinzano completely.  I'll try to look at his stuff.  Yes I had to look up "anarcho primitism" and I was lucky to find so much.

"going spiritual was the logical conclusion of my anarchism because spiritualism is the organic state of man... a hive mind ...stripping mankind of its diverse cultural inclinations that are based in spirituality."  This does help, Ben.  Any use of the Borg is great.  Great art; that's what that concept was in Star Trek.  It communicates an entire civilization.  And resistance has been futile.  Until now.

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 07:12:52 PM »
This is my family but they think I'm cracked.  They love me; they just don't believe me.  I hope you and others will talk more about this.  No matter how well-intentioned, RE and others who are not parents just can't assume this reality.

Nobody,

I'd be certainly interested to hear more about what your family thought. As to a comment you made earlier about guns, I feel the same way; although a childhood hunting does make a gun feel comfortable in my hands, I'm wary about the change in psyche that comes over one, when a gun becomes an integral part of ones life. And for other reasons I intimate, but don't have a name for necessarily. Conscious though too, a city isn't going to become a safer place any time soon.