AuthorTopic: Bring Me the Head of Rudy Giuliani  (Read 544 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Bring Me the Head of Rudy Giuliani
« on: June 03, 2018, 09:13:32 AM »
In headlines today, Rudy is quoted as saying Trump can "probably" pardon himself (although he was quick to say that he has no intention of doing so).

So.....if he had no intention doing so, why would he have The Rudster trotting out the possibility before the media, if not to plant the seeds of exactly that inevitability, and to test the waters to see if anyone would complain about it if he did?

If this happens, boys and girls, it's done. Amerika is toast. The rule of law, already twisted into a corkscrew, would be broken forever, and we'd be living in a big Banana Republic.

Giuliani has proved himself to be an enemy of real democracy and the Joseph Goebbels of the Trump administration. If Trump is good at one thing, it's finding a whore when he needs one.

President Trump 'probably does' have the power to pardon himself: Giuliani

By MORGAN WINSOR
Jun 3, 2018, 9:13 AM ET

President Donald Trump's lead attorney said the commander-in-chief "probably does" have the power to pardon himself.

When Stephanopoulos asked if the president has the power to pardon himself, Giuliani said he "probably does."

"He has no intention of pardoning himself," said Giuliani, a former New York City mayor who is Trump's lead attorney in negotiating an end to Mueller's ongoing investigation. But it is a "really interesting constitutional argument: 'Can the president pardon himself?'"

Giuliani added, "I think the political ramifications of that would be tough. Pardoning other people is one thing. Pardoning yourself is another. Other presidents have pardoned people in circumstances like this, both in their administration and sometimes the next president even of a different party will come along and pardon."

Giuliani's comments come on the heels of the publication of a 20-page letter sent to Mueller from Trump's legal team earlier this year that lays out the president's legal strategy in the Russia investigation.

The letter, dated Jan. 29, argues that, as president, Trump cannot be indicted, cannot be subpoenaed and could not be guilty of obstruction of justice due to his position as "chief law enforcement officer."

It also argues that Trump "could if he wished, terminate the inquiry, or even exercise his power to pardon if he so desired."

"It remains our position that the President's actions here, by virtue of his position as the chief law enforcement officer, could neither constitutionally nor legally constitute obstruction because that would amount to him obstructing himself, and that he could if he wished, terminate the inquiry, or even exercise his power to pardon if he so desired," reads the letter that was first obtained and reported on by The New York Times.

Giuliani told Stephanopoulos on Sunday that Mueller has not responded to the letter.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-power-pardon-giuliani/story?id=55611418
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:15:58 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Bring Me the Head of Rudy Giuliani
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 09:35:41 AM »
If this happens, boys and girls, it's done. Amerika is toast. The rule of law, already twisted into a corkscrew, would be broken forever, and we'd be living in a big Banana Republic.

Newz Flash.  Amerika is already done  The "rule of law" which only ever existed for the Rich has long since been abandoned.  Amerika is now a Carnival Cruise lines ship for the 1% to party on while everyone else is tossed overboard.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »

Newz Flash.  Amerika is already done  The "rule of law" which only ever existed for the Rich has long since been abandoned.  Amerika is now a Carnival Cruise lines ship for the 1% to party on while everyone else is tossed overboard.

RE

No, Nixon was brought down.

If Trump can't be brought down for real and provable high crimes and misdemeanors, we have reached a level of fucked-up this country has never yet experienced.

Presidents who can pardon themselves are not President. They are President-For-Life. Which is to say, we have gone complete Feudalism.

We've been headed there, yes, but we aren't quite there yet.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »

RE

No, Nixon was brought down.

If Trump can't be brought down for real and provable high crimes and misdemeanors, we have reached a level of fucked-up this country has never yet experienced.

Presidents who can pardon themselves are not President. They are President-For-Life. Which is to say, we have gone complete Feudalism.

We've been headed there, yes, but we aren't quite there yet.

Nixon was a meaningless marionette.  The real folks in power have never left. 

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 10:15:14 AM »

RE
true justice disappeared a long time ago. I think what you are looking at now is the disintegration of the foundational myth of justice. It did not matter if the system was rigged as long as the vast majority believed the narrative. If the main body of society loses its faith... you are in trouble.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:19:51 AM by Surly1 »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:24:52 AM »

RE
true justice disappeared a long time ago. I think what you are looking at now is the disintegration of the foundational myth of justice. It did not matter if the system was rigged as long as the vast majority believed the narrative. If the main body of society loses its faith... you are in trouble.

This pretty much looks like the same thing to me. Typically "justice" in civil matters has been dispensed to those who can afford the best white-shoe law firms.
The real dangers of Trumpism is on the criminal side, the demolishment of the separation of powers and the independence of the judiciary, which will hasten the completion of the project of the authoritarian state. It is happening as we speak, as the filth and corruption of the Trump crime family is about to be legitimized by "law."
"...reprehensible lying communist..."