AuthorTopic: 🗳️ The U.S. is Not a Democracy, It Never Was  (Read 993 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🗳️ The U.S. is Not a Democracy, It Never Was
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 12:29:23 PM »
You know what? It's a stupid statement. Who gives a fuck really?  Democracy never really existed anywhere. And who would want it but bums and losers?

Democracy is dangerous. It gives stupid people too much power. And when all the stupid people vote for their favorite candidate from Reality TV, because on (fake) reality TV that person is made to appear strong, smart, and decisive, people think they really are.

It's a TV show y'all.

But a LOT of people VOTE for famous people, powerful people, good-looking movie star people....because they can't tell TV from reality. And they worship celebrity.

But yeah, what's the alternative?

What works for me is if the earth has a lot fewer people on it, and people are too busy trying to survive to get up in my shit. So bring on the collapse..
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: 🗳️ The U.S. is Not a Democracy, It Never Was - "WikiLaw"
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 03:58:21 PM »
I agree with most of those comments.  One that did stick out was: "KK: Anarchism and its chaos".  Anarachism has had a VERY bad press, due to the impact it would have on Capitalism's hidden cronyism.  Thus I do not rule it out as a working hypothesis as an alternative.  It means "no rulers", NOT "no rules". In other words no voting for representatives who then do all the decision-making for you for four years or so.

In UK and Australia the media, and often politicians, talk like voting is a real drag for the people and they would rather not have to do it.  This is another self-serving load of hogwash.  If open source software was written for holding votes on legislation, like for the Wiki system, we could have votes every month/week/day held on-line, and get rid of the Houses of Parliament altogether.  If you didn't have on-line access to the server, you could vote at the local library or post office using your ID card.  At the moment nobody wants an ID card, but that is because we don't trust THEM to manage the system properly.

I believe Iceland has tried something like this in recent years.  I imagine the transitional period would be really difficult.  The first step would be to hammer out a new version of the Constitution and a Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.  It must be in plain English, and must not contain any exceptions-to-the-exceptions. Once it has been done properly it could become a model for everyone else.

There would have to be a set of rules governing how the public administration officials do their work. And these should be coded in free open source code for all to see and argue about.

If this were to be worked on NOW, the system could be given a name, say "WikiLaw", and then people could have a revolution to have that.
"The State is a body of armed men."