AuthorTopic: 💀 The Suicide Epidemic  (Read 1090 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
💀 The Suicide Epidemic
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:14:16 AM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/suicide-rates-are-30-percent-1999-cdc-says-n880926

Suicide rates are up 30 percent since 1999, CDC says
Only half of people who died by suicide had diagnosed mental health conditions.
by Maggie Fox / Jun.07.2018 / 9:00 AM ET / Updated 2:45 PM ET

Suicide rates rose across the U.S. from 1999 to 2016.CDC

Suicide rates are up by 30 percent across the nation since 1999, federal health officials reported Thursday.

And only about half the people who died by suicide had a known mental health condition, even though depression had been thought to be the major cause of suicide, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.

While many cases of mental illness may have been diagnosed, the CDC also noted that relationship stress, financial troubles and substance abuse were contributing to the trends.

“From 1999 to 2015, suicide rates increased among both sexes, all racial/ethnic groups, and all urbanization levels,” the CDC researchers wrote in their report.
Recommended
Guatemala's deadly volcano eruption: What is the 'Ring of Fire'?
Guatemala volcano disaster: Injured airlifted to U.S. as authorities warn of more eruptions

The suicide of fashion designer Kate Spade, who died this week at age 55, is capturing headlines and making people wonder if certain groups, such as middle-age women, may be more at risk.

"Middle-aged adults had the largest number of suicides and a particularly high increase in suicide rates. These findings are disturbing," said CDC principal deputy director Dr. Anne Schuchat.

But the CDC team found almost no group is exempt from the rise in suicide rates, except people over age 75.
Suicide rates show disturbing rise
Jun.07.201801:32

Nearly 45,000 people died by suicide in 2016, the CDC team found.

“What we tried to do in this study was look at the state level at trends over time,” Schuchat said.

“Unfortunately, the suicide rates went up more than 30 percent in half of the states.”

Suicide rates have increased in every state since 1999 with the exception of Nevada — but Nevada has already long had one of the highest suicide rates in the country.

“A key thing that we focused on was looking at individuals who committed suicide, comparing those with mental health diagnoses with those who didn’t,” Schuchat told NBC News.
Related
More teens are attempting suicide. It's not clear why

“More than half of all the individuals who committed suicide had no mental health diagnoses.”

That may be in part because it’s so difficult to get mental health care, said Dr. Jack Rozel, medical director of the Allegheny crisis services facility in Pittsburgh and president-elect of the American Association for Emergency Psychiatry.

“I run a major crisis center. We have 150 staff. We provide almost 150,000 services every year,” Rozel, also a psychiatry professor at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, said.

Yet even his team sometimes has problems finding help for people.

“I think I am reasonably well-connected. About a year ago a friend of mine reached out to me. He was feeling more sad, more anxious, than usual," Rozel said.

"It took me days to get him an appointment with someone. It’s a problem.”
Related
Suicide rate in teen girls hits 40-year high

Even when people do have treatment, Rozel said, it may be difficult to find the right approach and to find the time and money to continue.

“The first medication doesn’t always work. Sometimes you have to find a second or a third. Or a therapist — for whatever reason you don’t connect, you don’t link. It puts people in a very tough spot," he said.

But there’s more to the trends than simply mental health issues, said Schuchat.
Designer Kate Spade's death sparks national conversation on suicide
Jun.06.201802:25

“I have been learning as a nation we have seen increases and decreases over time in suicide,” she said. “Increases mostly seem to correlate with economic downturns.”

Suicide rates increased the most in some Western and Midwestern states, including Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, North and South Dakota and Minnesota, as well as Kansas and Oklahoma.
Related
Suicide rate rises with quick repeat deployments

“Those are generally rural states,” Schuchat noted. “We know the economic downturn hit rural states hard and the recovery sometimes takes longer in some of those rural communities. We also know in rural states that access to care may be harder.”

Firearms were the most common method used. They were used in nearly half of all suicides and in 55 percent of the cases where there was no known mental health condition.

The CDC team dug into more details in 27 states. When details were available on what may have been factors in suicides, the CDC team found:

42 percent had a relationship problem
    28 percent had substance abuse issues
    16 percent had job or financial problems
    29 percent had some kind of crisis
    22 percent had a physical health issue
    9 percent had a criminal legal problem

The CDC had policy advice for ways to help.

States can help ease unemployment and housing stress by providing temporary help.
    Health care systems can offer treatment options by phone or online where services are not widely available.
    Communities can offer programs and events to increase a sense of belonging among residents.
    Schools can teach students skills to manage challenges like relationship and school problems.

“I have learned that it is important to talk about survivor stories. We know that suicide is preventable," Schuchat said.

The advice from CDC and other experts: If you see someone who may be struggling, ask them about it and stay with them.

“We are in a different era right now, with social media increased and also social isolation is high,” Schuchat said.

“We think helping overcome the isolation can improve the connectedness.”

Editor's note: If you are looking for help, please call the National Suicide Prevention hotline at 1-800-273-8255.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 💀 The Suicide Epidemic
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 07:00:29 AM »
I can assure you that offing one-self is not looked upon in the ether as a viable solution.
Once, maybe twice gets the stern lecture from the real masters of the universe, after that, banishment from the physical
realms most likely will ensue. A smoke is just not a smoke in the ether, along with a cup of joe or brewski to enjoy.

Rookies don't show up here in 3D......

It takes many,many lifetimes to earn a trip down into the trenches of physicality.

Here's a for-instance.

Basically, no one knows much about physical life at the bottom of the deep dark oceans of this planet.

The same goes for the etheric realms knowing much, if anything about physicality in this realm. It's unheard of.
1/10 of 1 percent has even heard of 3D in the ether.

If you're having a bad day, reach out to your spirit guides or a crisis hotline before you take the plunge.
Many off'd souls don't return to source & wind up being reel'd in by the soul police for wandering the cosmos after their life.

have a stellar day diners.......  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 08:20:47 AM »
I can assure you that offing one-self is not looked upon in the ether as a viable solution.
Once, maybe twice gets the stern lecture from the real masters of the universe, after that, banishment from the physical
realms most likely will ensue. A smoke is just not a smoke in the ether, along with a cup of joe or brewski to enjoy.

It takes many,many lifetimes to earn a trip down into the trenches of physicality.

Here's a for-instance.

Basically, no one knows much about physical life at the bottom of the deep dark oceans of this planet.

The same goes for the etheric realms knowing much, if anything about physicality in this realm. It's unheard of.

If you're having a bad day, reach out to your spirit guides or a crisis hotline before you take the plunge.
Many off'd souls don't return to source & wind up being reel'd in by the soul police for wandering the cosmos after their life.

Good to hear from you, my brother. I wondered where you been.

The soul police sound even worse than the Seoul police.  Returning to source is important to me. That's what I was hoping for, anyway.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 08:36:32 AM »

Here's a for-instance.

Good to hear from you, my brother. I wondered where you been.

The soul police sound even worse than the Seoul police.  Returning to source is important to me. That's what I was hoping for, anyway.

Surly shot me a memo & I responded.
I received my hyponotherapists certification recently. I've been reading countless case studies.
To break the monotony of chasing spooks around the cosmos, I've been working on my rides before the summer heat sets in.
My oldest son is doing his 9 months playing cowboys & indians in the middle east with Uncle Cracker.
So to break his monotony, I bought him a used Audi A6 Avant. For 2 G's I might add. It was owned by an elderly couple &
went to the toys for tots auction in Cali. Most likely a tax right off. Anyway the goobers at the auction mis-represented the odo
mileage. It was listed as 260,000 miles. The car has an old-school odo with 6 digits. 5 for miles & 1 for 10ths.
The cars actual mileage is 126k. By the time junior gets back from Kuwait, his new wagon ride will be ready to cruise to points east.
He has 2 semesters left at Columbia to receive his bachelor's degree in world religions. He's a chaplain in the guard.
I'm finishing the steering rack replace in my Audi cabrio, doing the metal work on the old bus & when the cab is street ready
I will go through junior's wagon & do all the services necessary to bring the car back to daily use with no issues.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:48:35 AM »

Great to have you back for a cuppa joe!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »
Congrats on your son. Sounds like your spirituality rubbed off a little. The Audi sounds like a nice coming home present, too.

I have to make a plug for my hypnosis teacher, Anne King. If you ever are looking for a fun hypno course, I'd recommend her highly. She is a kindred spirit. Edgar Cayce is her Bible.

But she is quite the businesswoman. Enneagram Type 3. If you want to practice hypnosis and make money, she can help you polish your skills.

http://www.hypnosisclasses.com/
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »
Congrats on your son. Sounds like your spirituality rubbed off a little. The Audi sounds like a nice coming home present, too.

I have to make a plug for my hypnosis teacher, Anne King. If you ever are looking for a fun hypno course, I'd recommend her highly. She is a kindred spirit. Edgar Cayce is her Bible.

But she is quite the businesswoman. Enneagram Type 3. If you want to practice hypnosis and make money, she can help you polish your skills.

http://www.hypnosisclasses.com/

Cool, thanks.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 08:56:18 AM »

Great to have you back for a cuppa joe!

Drive it like you stole it  :coffee:

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
https://www.essence.com/love-sex/dating-someone-with-depression-mental-illness-what-to-do

How To Handle Being In A Relationship With Someone Who’s Depressed
Kenya Foy Jun, 26, 2018

For the more than 300,000 million people living with depression, day-to-day life can feel like a personal hell. During their ongoing fight for inner peace, many of their significant others suffer in silence because they simply don’t know how to handle being with someone who is depressed. It’s certainly understandable; relationships are complex enough, but being involved with someone who suffers from a mental illness demands an extra dose of compassion, caution, and awareness.

<p>Identify Warning Signs</p>
1 of 5 Andersen Ross/Getty Images
Identify Warning Signs

Due to the fact that anxiety and depression can present in many forms, being aware of warning signs that your partner may be on a downward mental spiral is crucial. According to The Mayo Clinic, common symptoms of depression include: feelings of sadness, hopelessness or emptiness; insomnia or excessive sleeping; lack of energy; feelings of worthlessness; reduced appetite or weight loss; and frequent thoughts of death or suicide, as well as suicide attempts. Bear in mind that an individual suffering with depression may not be able or willing to vocalize exactly what’s affecting them, so be proactive by learning to recognize subtle or major shifts in your partner’s behavior that typically accompany their depressive episodes. While not everyone who deals with depression experiences suicidal thoughts, it is still critical to keep the individual in a safe environment. In the event that your partner expresses suicidal thoughts or attempts to harm themselves, take them to a psychiatric hospital or an emergency room. Suicide.org recommends remaining with the person, staying calm, discussing suicide openly and immediately contacting a qualified mental health professional via the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK, which provides free, round-the-clock prevention and crisis support.

Many mental health organizations also recommend calling 911 if an individual is suicidal, however a 2015 report from the Treatment Advocacy Center found that people with untreated mental illness are 16 times more likely to be killed by law enforcement, a sobering statistic that supports the growing belief that police are generally incapable of providing mental health support during emergencies.

<p>
Don’t Minimize Their Feelings Depression</p>
2 of 5 yacobchuk/Getty Images

Don’t Minimize Their Feelings Depression

Despite the plethora of studies, research and general information that legitimizes depression as a mental disorder – one that Black women experience at a higher rate than the rest of the population – there still exists a misconception within our communities that it is nothing more than an extreme bout of the blues to be “fixed” with a combination of prayer and a strong bootstraps mentality. However, minimizing or outright dismissing your partner’s depression should never be an option. Instead, openly acknowledge their depression and be willing to provide whatever assistance you can for them, whether it’s something as simple as reminding them to eat regularly or a helping them find a therapist.

<p>Ask Questions</p>
3 of 5 svetikd/Getty Images
Ask Questions

Inquire about what could make your partner feel better or asking which tasks they might need help with like refilling or changing a prescription for anti-depressants, reaching out to their therapist or even driving, advises Psych Central. This opens up an avenue of a non-judgmental communication that prevents you making assumptions about their condition or inadvertently blaming them for their illness.

<p>Encourage Them To Seek Treatment</p>
4 of 5 fizkes/Getty Images
Encourage Them To Seek Treatment

Although certain lifestyle changes have proven effective in helping to manage it, there is no cure for depression, which is why it’s important to encourage your partner (as gently as possible) to seek some form of treatment from a certified professional who can effectively help them navigate the illness.

Prioritize Your Well-Being

Loving someone with depression can be extremely stressful; however, the biggest favor you can do for a partner living with depression is to keep a close eye on your own mental health. If you find yourself buckling under the weight of your partner’s ailment, don’t hesitate to seek professional help for yourself. Groups like National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) provide support for loved ones of people living with mental illnesses. Do whatever it takes to equip yourself with the necessary tools to stay strong, stable and healthy, which will serve you well in helping your partner survive the fight of a lifetime.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN