AuthorTopic: SNAP Card Gourmet: Steak Edition  (Read 409 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
SNAP Card Gourmet: Steak Edition
« on: June 10, 2018, 02:30:47 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner Dlog & YouTube Channel on June 10, 2018

Discuss this article & video in The Pantry inside the Diner

The SNAP Card Gourmet is BACK!

It was touch and go as to whether I would get back to doing these vids, but after getting out of hospital a couple of weeks ago I worked up the energy to get going with it again.  Before you get on my case about the poor lighting in this vid, I AM working on it!  Anyhow, you don't really want to see my Grim Reaper ghoulish appearance these days anyhow.

One thing I do want to address today is the criticism I periodically get inside the Diner for my food obsession in a thread I maintain daily called "The Diner Menu".  In that thread daily I feature different recipes for Diners to drool over while they are contemplating doom.  "What does this have to do with collapse?" the critics bellow!  To me the reasons are obvious, but some Doomers are so focused on their own interests in Collapse they can't fathom them, and then make a nuisance of themselves by complaining about it.

To begin with, Food is probably the #1 concern of people who see Collapse coming down the pipe.  "Where will I get it when the shelves go empty at Safeway?"  You have your Doomsteaders and Permies all trying to create subsistence farms they can feed themselves with.  Then you have your Survivalists who are going to go out into the bush and hunt and fish up their sustenance.  At least if they are doing this on their own, both groups are doomed to failure.  You can't produce or gather enough food on your own, it takes at least a small tribe to do it.  A FEW really expert survivalists like Cody Lundin can make it for a while, but even they would eventually succumb without a tribe working together.

Related image The next reason is it demonstrates many of the things we take for granted, primarily JIT delivery of food from around the world.  You can't walk in a food superstore and shop without being overwhelmed by produce from Mexico, Fish from Thailand, Olive Oil from Spain and Wine & Cheese from France.  It's going to be mighty hard in the post-SHTF Day world to be cooking up a Gourmet Meal without these goodies.  So enjoy them now while they are there, because it won't last forever.

Third, it provides a respite from the constant stream of Doom Newz we are inundated with on the Diner every day.  "The World will go up in a Nuclear Fireball on July 19th!  The Chinese will take over the world and Amerikans will be their Slaves!  The Dollar will crash and the Petro-Yuan will be the Reserve Currency of the World!"  etc, etc, etc.  I doubt any of these predictions are accurate, but that doesn't stop Diners from pasting in articles every day to justify their POV.  It's nice (at least for me and other Diners who enjoy the thread) to get away from that constant stream of Apocalyptic Predictions and  enjoy reminiscing about great meals we have eaten or cooked up.

Finally, I am a lifelong "foodie" who has been frequenting various types of eateries my entire life, from cheap recent Greek immigrant street vendors of Souvlaki to the best restaurants in NY Shity..  Besides eating in them, I worked as a chef for a while also.  I love to cook for family and friends.  I also have great concern for the homeless and for those who are trying to get by on a tight budget provided currently in the FSoA by SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), so I created the SNAP Card Gourmet to demonstrate how you can eat very well on the current SNAP Card allowance, if you shop carefully and watch your pennies.  You can even afford to eat Gourmet Meals with Premium Foods a couple of times a month, even once a week if you scrimp the rest of the week.

With that in  mind, in this installment of the SNAP Card Gourmet we go over a couple of ways to prepare PRIME Ribeye Steaks. 😋

Image result for prime ribeye steak Anyhow, all that being said, the Steak Edition of the SNAP Card Gourmet premiering today on the Diner is a Premium Foods meal which was inspired by a great find of Prime Ribeye Steaks at my nearby food superstore of 3 Bears, which has the best meat department around here, far superior to Walmart, Safeway or Kroger.  Well, a small butcher Matanuska Meats has better meat sometimes, but never at the prices that 3 Bears offers up periodically.  Prime is the top designation by the USDA on meat, signifying extensive marbling of fat and tenderness of the meat.  Prime Ribeyes from online purveyors of top quality meat like Chicago Steaks or Omaha Steaks can run $30-40/lb, I got these two little beauties for $12/lb.  So one of them got cooked up as I generally most like a Ribeye done, over the fire on an open grill, and the other one I did as an indoor cooking method braising the meat in a pan and then slow roasting in an oven.  There are several episodes in this series to come which include not just the cooking but the preparation aspects as well and the importance of your cooking tools, especially for the homeless or near homeless person.  A simple question to consider here is where are you going to get your high-carbon stainless steel cooking knives from after SHTF Day arrives?  They won't be arriving on a Bunker Fuel powered container ship, that is for sure.  Pretty hard to do any decent cooking of anything without a good knife.  If you don't have some good ones in your preps along with some backups, now would be a good time to stock up.  A good Barter Item as well.

Intro done, now have fun watching the vid!  Again, apologies for the poor lighting.  This will be fixed!

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
SNAP Card Gourmet: Cooking Your Premium Steak
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 07:42:16 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner Blog & Forum on June 24, 2018

Discuss this Video at the Pantry iinside the Diner

REMINDER:  The Summer Solstice inaugurated our Fundraiser here at the Diner to keep this establishment open after I croak (any day now…). We raised $150 last week which is not a bad start but we have a long way to go to reach the $2000 goal.  For those of you who have not yet coughed up some FRNs, this would be a good week to do it.  The longer it takes to raise the money, the longer I will drop these annoying pleas at the beginning of my articles.  Just take the pain and get it over with!  It costs MONEY 🤑 to maintain a good websie!  I have been footing the bil for over 6 years, but I will not be alive forever,  Both members and guests often send me emails stating that the Diner is their FIRST STOP across the Collapse Blogosphere for the latest in Doom News.  If we don't get a revenue stream going, after I Buy  My Ticket to the Great Beyond the lights will go out on the Diner before the entire Internet Goes Dark, and you wouldn't want that, would you?  We have no Ads and no Paywall, so if Diners don't kick in to fund it, this ship will head to the bottom of Davey Jones Locker shortly after my meat package is Fish Food.  Don't be CHEAPSKATES!  I know several Diners live on limited budgets, and I don't expect any contribution from them.  They Dine for free here on the Diner.  However, numerous other Diners are still making plenty-o-money, and if they can't see their way clear to donating a few FRNs to keep this place running, then they are definitive CHEAPSKATES!   Cheapskates are even lower on the evolutionary ladder than Lurkers!  Don't be a Cheapskate!  Donate to the Diner today!

OK, without further ado and begging for money, lets move onto today's Brunch offering, a SNAP Card Gourmet Video episode of how to cook your premum meal of the week on the SNAP Card Budget…

OK! after a couple of weeks of vids on just how to get your premium, Prime Beef (USDA ranking) Ribeyes prepared for cooking, today we will finally get to some COOKING! 🙂  I actually enjoy the prep part of putting together a meal as much or more than the actua cooking of it, but many people find that part tedious.  Still, in terms of the final outcome of the meal, the prep is often as important or even more important than the cooking.  I also used to love the EATING of the meal when all was said and done and you served it up for consumption on the dinner table.  Unfortunately, eating has become one of the biggest problems for me since my accident.  About the onloy part of a meal I never enjoyed and still don't is the CLEAN UP.  Now that is truly tedious and thankless work.

If you are a regular watcher/reader of the SNAP Card Gourmet or you are reasonably experienced with BBQing Steaks on the outdoor grill, none of the cooking in today's episode will be new to you.  It's really more about how to use and arrange your mobile kitchen and how you budget your meal plan, the cooking of the steak is more of a prop here than an actual primer on how to BBQ.  I also talk about some of the social issues involved with food, the lack thereof in the post-SHTF environment and how to deal with your own personal failing economics now if you lose your job  or become crippled like me.

I also want to reinforce what I mean when I say "homeless".  I do NOT usually mean a person living out of ahopping cart sleeping in a refrigerator box under a highway overpass, although I talk about those folks occassionally also.  If you are that far off the cliff you generally have no mens of cooking your own food at all, about the best you can do is heat cans of Campbell's Chunky Soup or microwaving a frozen food dinner in a convenience store microwave.  Really though, at this level (the  real bottom before you go to the Great Beyond) you mostly will get your food in Soup Kitchens run by folks like the Salvation Army or in fast food joints where you can also get some warmth for a while and sometimes even some sleep before they kick you out.

Who I AM generally talking about are people more recntly fallen of the economic cliff, but still does have some form of housing to maintain some possesions, have some spce to do cooking and so forth.  This could be anything from Section 8 housing in a one room Bates Motel to living out of your Stealth Van in Parks and Campgrounds and maintaing a Storage Unit to safeguard your personal possessions.  You do need SOME income for this, or at least realize you are headed in this direction and begin to conserve what money you have to make it last before you end up a Street Person.  It's not that much, around $100/week can keep you at this level quit a while if you aready have the stuff you need for homeless living.  You can make this money y begging if need be, although it is usually still possible to find a part-time Min Wage job which will pay you around $10/hr 20 hours/week for $200.  You can live quite well out of your Stealth Van on this moneuy, at least as a Single Person.  Families have their own set of problems that are much more intractable

.Far as the actual cookinghere goes, this video only covers the outdoor grilling method, not the indoor skilelt/oven method for steaks.  There also won't be a one of those for a while, because I dcided to save the second one for  a meal with my friend and Executor of my ill Brian so no video on that one. I'll get to such a recipe, preparation adcooking in due time I am sure, as long as I am still above ground level myself anyhow.

Until then, I hope you enjoy this recipe for Ribeye on the Barbie,  Be sure to pay atention to your temperatures amd cooking time, you don't want to ruin a beautiful prime ribeye ovrcooking it and turning it into leather more worthy of the soles of your shoes than your palate.

NOTE:  Yes, I know the lighting is still fucked up.  I'll fix it…eventually.

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: SNAP Card Gourmet: Steak Edition
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 03:45:56 PM »
The lighting against the sky puts you in silhouette throughout and the hoodie makes you look like a terrorist.  And its so SLOOOOW.  The meat doesn't go on the grill till 12:30 and it is still waiting to be turned at 20:00.  The most exciting bit was when you went off-camera, and there was a chance we could see the whole thing burst into flames and set fire to the house, but that didn't happen - so boring.  Was the "gourmet" part when you put (any old) BBQ sauce on the steak?  Honestly, I can't wait for when you turn it over in Part Four.  Zzzzz.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it!  :icon_sunny:

Seriously, you watched the whole 20 minutes?

On the backlighting problem, all my "sets" seem to end up with either a window or the sky in the background.  I need to start shooting those videos at night with lights.  My main new set though doesn't have these problems.  I haven't introduced it yet, I'm still finishing up the final touches to it.  You my wait a while also since I have to go check myself in to hospital tomorrow.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
I want the live version. Get ready to stand and deliver, buddy. (Or sit and deliver, if that's easier.)

We have to grill some steaks if I come up. Did we grill steaks at the lake in NC? I don't think so. You smoked something. I mean you smoked something to eat.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
I want the live version. Get ready to stand and deliver, buddy. (Or sit and deliver, if that's easier.)

We have to grill some steaks if I come up. Did we grill steaks at the lake in NC? I don't think so. You smoked something. I mean you smoked something to eat.

No worries, I'm already planning the meals.  :icon_sunny:  Do you know how many nights you will be here for yet?

I smoked some Baby Back Ribs in Saluda and  I think I BBQed Chicken Wings for the appetizer table, not sure there though.  We did some BBQing at LD & GM's place, but you hadn't arrived yet, you were visiting your relatives.  Last time we did a straight up BBQ of steaks was at the first Convocation at your Toothstead.

I have a new product I want to try, a "Smoker Bag".

Look very cool and convenient to turn any grilll into smoker.  Tjhe meat smokes much faster in the bag also.  You can't use them to cold smoke for Nova though.

You should freeze and pack some Mangalitsa back ribs and pork chops.  It's a direct flight from Dallas, the meat will be fine shrink wrapped and wrapped in a towel.  We can also shop for the beef together at 3 Bears and at Matanuska Meats.

We'll have a blast.  ;D  I don't know where the nearest Ganja store is, I'll have to research that.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN