AuthorTopic: WORLD CUP 2018  (Read 963 times)

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
WORLD CUP 2018
« on: June 23, 2018, 06:46:08 AM »
The World Cup Soccer Finals on in Russia at the moment, and sports-mad Australian TV is wall to wall with it.  "Our Aussie boys" are having a really hard time of it, only scoring from penalties in 2 matches. But they have the world record for the number of passes ending up with the goalkeeper, at 17 passes. Argentina lost 0 - 3 to Croatia, and the second goal was an appalling error by the goalkeeper, 0:32 in the video, and is why you should NEVER pass back to the goalkeeper.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcM5n71XmBo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hcM5n71XmBo</a>
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: WORLD CUP 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »
Must be a slow newz day when the best you have are school boy game results.

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »
I'm sure you are all hanging out to know how Australia did in its match against the weakest team in their group, Peru. (Yes, Peru qualified and US didn't).  Sadly Peru won 2-0, making Australia the weakest team in the group, and OUT of the competition.  They only scored two goals (both from the penalty spot) in three matches.  Still, at least we qualified.

Offline John of Wallan

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:25:32 AM »
Hmmm. Yes.
Soccer is more depressing than the cricket right now.
JOW.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 12:29:20 AM »
Still, at least we qualified.

We?  You are an Oz Citizen?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 12:59:08 AM »
Yes.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 01:15:01 AM »
Yes.

I houghrt you left the Western Empire states in favor of the 3rd World?  Oz is just a clienrt state of the FSoA.  They're even more xenophobic too dropping migrants onto Indonesian islands and leaving them to rot there.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 06:23:54 AM »
Papuan islands actually. 
I left Oz long ago.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 07:39:33 AM »
Papuan islands actually. 
I left Oz long ago.

Aren't  they still headhunting for yum yum meals there? Isn't your head at risk, you being all alone and all?

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »
Karpatok: Aren't  they still headhunting for yum yum meals there? Isn't your head at risk, you being all alone and all?

Very angry and warlike people in PNG highlands.  That's why I'm not there.

Offline Karpatok

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 06:03:07 PM »
Karpatok: Aren't  they still headhunting for yum yum meals there? Isn't your head at risk, you being all alone and all?

Very angry and warlike people in PNG highlands.  That's why I'm not there.
             OK, excellent. I was thinking of Michael Rockefeller, anthropologist, in 1961. That wasn't in the highlands though and they hushed it up. These practices in cultures die hard no matter how many missionaries they send. Just like in Capetown SA today. I read that those tribes up there that mourn and honor their dead by eating them have almost been wiped out by prion disease, at least the women and children. Joseph Campell forgot to tell us those things in school, actually. But no worries, right? Only a few beautiful pythons and I do not want to see them disappear.

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 04:21:45 AM »
 Papuan islands aka Torres Strait Islands? Thats where they are Australian citizens and the currency is AUD... and the australian pension doesnt get cut off after a month 'overseas'.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:03:12 AM by Agent Graves »
Junior  Operative, FBI Counter-Doomsdaycult Taskforce

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2018, 07:23:05 PM »
RT takes the opportunity to bag the dissident Kasparov for his pathetic attempt at politics. Australian ABC sports reporter, Michael Brissenden, said that Mario Fernandes, the player who missed the vital penalty, had been given a plane ticket to Siberia, ho-ho-ho. (The Soviet Union Russians are a frightening bunch of thugs, virtually Communists!).

Now we are having Wimbledon and the Tour de France as well as the World Cup.  Both winners of the most boring sport to watch on TV.

https://www.rt.com/news/432297-kasparov-croatia-russia-putin/
Russian chess legend-turned-opposition figure Kasparov rejoices at Croatia's victory over Russia
8 Jul, 2018

Garry Kasparov has used Croatia's dramatic win over Russia at the FIFA World Cup to promote his political views, as he wished "the free world" the same stamina in the 'fight' against the Russian president as the Croatians showed.

Kasparov, a former world chess champion who has turned into one of the fiercest critics of the Russian government, apparently thought Russia's loss to Croatia in the last eight in Sochi was a good time to remind the world of himself and his controversial political beliefs.

"Bravo Hrvatska!  I only wish the free world would show the same resilience fighting Putin's advances in the geopolitical field as the Croatians demonstrated on the football field!" Kasparov wrote.

A divisive figure even among the Russian opposition, Kasparov stirred politics into sport even as the fans' shouts of "Russia!" sounded in the streets across the host country, united to celebrate Russia's rollercoaster ride and mourn its dignified loss in the penalty shootout.

For instance, former State Duma Deputy and prominent opposition leader Dmitry Gudkov congratulated the Russian squad with an "excellent play," noting that they "have made the impossible possible."

Former presidential hopeful Ksenia Sobchak also expressed her respect for the players, saying that she has been proud of the team. "I've never thought I would be so anxious!" she tweeted.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:25:59 PM by Palloy2 »

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 03:51:05 AM »
RT takes the opportunity to bag the dissident Kasparov for his pathetic attempt at politics. Australian ABC sports reporter, Michael Brissenden, said that Mario Fernandes, the player who missed the vital penalty, had been given a plane ticket to Siberia, ho-ho-ho. (The Soviet Union Russians are a frightening bunch of thugs, virtually Communists!).

Now we are having Wimbledon and the Tour de France as well as the World Cup.  Both winners of the most boring sport to watch on TV.

https://www.rt.com/news/432297-kasparov-croatia-russia-putin/
Russian chess legend-turned-opposition figure Kasparov rejoices at Croatia's victory over Russia

Russia is now a right wing authoritarian state, as I suspect you may have heard.

I find it interesting that a man who accuses every western media outlet of being on the CIA/FBI/NSA payroll down to the last janitor, and therefore unreliable, posts at will from Russia Today, which receives bountiful funding from the Russian state.

RIA-NOVOSTI, owned by Russia, launched RT in 2005 to improve Russia's image abroad. It's currently broadcasting in English, Spanish and Arabic. Russia Today launched with a mission to cover international news with a Russian outlook. Objectivity is not RT's goal,so much as taking a strident anti-American stance and towing the Kremlin line by repeating government talking points.

Which is fine. RT America features many left-wing voices and has been a source for many pundits and posters, including me. Just know that RT's primary agenda is to put a thumb in the American eye, and bring the same cautionary CFS to any story so sourced as you would to, say one from the NY Times.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 04:17:59 AM »
Russia is now a right wing authoritarian state, as I suspect you may have heard.

Here we go again.  What evidence do you have of that load of biased crap?  I have never heard that.  Saker was just writing a very long article about how Putin has to carefully balance the following political forces:  Medvedev and his pro-Atlanticists, the oligarchs, the Jewish lobby, the communists, the Muslims, the military, the Orthodox Catholic Church.  Sounds quite eclectic, not authoritarian.  The fact that Kasparov was allowed to speak publicly, and not killed as he deserves, shows freedom of speech in Russia.