AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Summer Solstice Fundraiser  (Read 477 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Doomstead Diner Summer Solstice Fundraiser
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on the Doomstead Diner Blog & Forum on June 24, 2018

Stonehenge at dawn on the Summer Solstice

Discuss this article at the Kitchen Sink inside the Diner

The Summer Solstice brings with it many things, first off is the longest day of the year.  Here on the Last Great Frontier that means it's still light at midnight, and for the few hours we do have "darkness", it's more of a twilight where you can still see to walk around without a flashlight, (torch for you Brits).  Where I live is below the Arctic Circle, if you go above that you will get light 24 hours a day.  Conversely, during the Winter Solstice it's dark most of the time, with the few hours of sunlight coming in the afternoon with the SUN very low on the horizon.  This type of seasonal lighting regimen can cause a psychological condition know as SAD, for Seasonal Affective Disorder.  Here is a photo from my back porch Collapse Perch at Midnight on June 21, 2018.

The view from my back porch at Midnight on June 21, 2018

I'm not a sufferer of the official version of SAD, in Summertime all I do is throw a Sleep Mask on (the kind you use on planes that they give away for FREE if you ask for them) and in the Winter I spend most of the time indoors anyhow and I have plenty of Diode Lights in my Preps.  This year I am SAD for another reason though, and no it's not because Industrial Civilization is Collapsing or because we might incinerate the globe in a Thermonuclear Holocaust on July 19th, according to our local Nostradamus Soothsayer on the Diner.  The reason is because I worry about the future of the Diner when I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond, which comes a little closer each day.

For the past 6 years, I have carried the costs for keeping the Diner up and running, and have had to upgrade the server and my package from the web hosts I have used to do things like handle increased traffic, handle SPAM attacks, keep backups automatically, etc.  I am not a Code Jockey who can go inside a software package and diagnose problems and fix things when they are broken.  I'm not even confident to do routine maintenance like upgrading to the latest version of WP or the various Plug-Ins the Diner uses to spiff it up some because I am afraid I will cause a problem myself.  So it would be nice if the Diner had a little Buffer to handle emergencies.

There are also upgerades I would like to do on the Diner, like opening a Storefrom to sel l"Best in Class" Preps for getting ready for SHTF Day.  It would be good to have a "one stop shop" for SHTF Day prepping instead of having to track stuff down all over the net all the time and read reviews and so forth.  I do that stuff myself all the time, so why should the readers here have to reinvent the wheel?   Also Diner products and Memoribilia, so after the Internet Goes Dark, you'll have something tangible to remember those great lead up years on the Diner waiting for the Collapse of the Monetary System and Industrial Civilization.  The Diner does need some form of an income stream in thi world where you can't do jack shit without MONEY, and since we are Ad Free and no Paywall, this is about the only way to do it.

So anyhow, I am setting a modest goal for this fundraiser of $2000, which I am contributing to 10% or $200 as Kickoff Money (in addition to the 38% of the Server Bill I covered for this year).  If you have enjoyed our work in covering the Collapse of Industrial Civilization for the last 6 years, give generously what you can afford to help the Diner last until the Internet Goes Dark!

You can make your Donation by hitting the DONATE button on the right side menu bar at the top of the page.

Doomstead Diner Fundraising Thermometer

Save As Many As You Can