AuthorTopic: SHTF Driving- Or, C5 Turns A Honda Civic Into A Truck  (Read 3903 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: SHTF Driving- Or, C5 Turns A Honda Civic Into A Truck
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 11:29:42 AM »
This could be my Last Pick-up Truck of All Time.

Kinda  makes me tear up when I say that.

You should write an article titled "The Last Pickup".

You should have gone the whole 9 yards for all ther options too.  In for a penny, in for a pound.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »
Nah, the full enchilada on a 1 ton diesel pick-up now is nearly double what I paid. I might be insane, but I ain't crazy.

What I did makes fairly good financial sense, given my situation and that good used trucks are so incredibly hard to find here. I did look. For a long time too, not just here lately.

I knew this was coming. The truck was already shaky when you came here for the 1st convo. You drove it, you should know. How long did I nurse it since then? Four years? I got over 50K and maybe 6 years out of a truck I had maybe 7K in even if you count all the work I did on the Beemer I traded for it.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »
This could be my Last Pick-up Truck of All Time.

Kinda  makes me tear up when I say that.

You should write an article titled "The Last Pickup".

You should have gone the whole 9 yards for all ther options too.  In for a penny, in for a pound.

RE
I've been looking for something like that I would call it the forever truck though. Like this one
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/barrie/chevy-short-box-for-sale/1361983609?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
It was obviously someone's expensive pet. 4 wheel drive rebuilt engine easy to fix. You could keep this one going forever. Good charcoal candidate as well.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 12:25:41 PM »
I looked at a lot of vintage iron. If I didn't cover so many miles, I'd get something like a '65 Chevy. Maybe with electronic ignition upgrade, but hold on to a points distributor, just in case. The old trucks offer better resilience, but they have to be worked on to keep them in the road.

I don't see myself ever turning wrenches again, unless retirement gives me more time.

I like most of the popular vintage 4X4's too, like old Willys and Jeeps and Land Rovers and Land Cruisers. I had one excellent 2X4 small Toyota pick-up, from before they upsized their trucks. Good equipment there, but it wasn't good for me a the time, with my little kids and my commute.

Old people gravitate to automatic transmissions and cold AC.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 12:30:17 PM »
I looked at a lot of vintage iron. If I didn't cover so many miles, I'd get something like a '65 Chevy. Maybe with electronic ignition upgrade, but hold on to a points distributor, just in case. The old trucks offer better resilience, but they have to be worked on to keep them in the road.

I don't see myself ever turning wrenches again, unless retirement gives me more time.

I like most of the popular vintage 4X4's too, like old Willys and Jeeps and Land Rovers and Land Cruisers. I had one excellent 2X4 small Toyota pick-up, from before they upsized their trucks. Good equipment there, but it wasn't good for me a the time, with my little kids and my commute.

Old people gravitate to automatic transmissions and cold AC.
I'm fast catching up to that thinking. I find myself with two vehicles now and one driver.  Right now the explorer plays the role of 300 pound gorilla hardly used and rugged. The kia sorento is the button down shirt kid mover. I will change the explorer when it's done to an easier to fix but equally powerful vehicle.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 01:02:29 PM »
It all comes down to intention. The will to do the needful. Fuck what the samurai think.

Just looking in on the diner from North Carolinaís Outer Banks, and read this article. Itís far as Iím concerned, this is distilled brilliance. And the best advice to anybody planning for actual doom, as opposed to cud-chewing  can ever get.

Excellent read.

I'm jealous of you too, you old Lefty.  I LOVE the Outer Banks. Nothing quite like that in Texas. Enjoy.

Itís truly magnificent, and I enjoyed every time we come here. And my friend is committed to making margaritas. Whatís not to like?

Iíll probably be staying an extra day so I doubt thereíll be a newspaper tomorrow either. Iím sure everybody will find a way to live with the painÖ
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »

What I did makes fairly good financial sense

Acccording to you Eddie, everything you do makes "good financial sense".  If you invested in Camel Urine--->Phosphorus manucfature in Saudi Arabia, according to you this would make good financial sense.  Your real talent in life is self-justifying everything you do.   ::)

Survey Sez...

Banksters all over Texas agree.

"Eddie just walked into the  Monster Truck Dealership!"

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 05:47:27 PM »

Acccording to you Eddie, everything you do makes "good financial sense".  If you invested in Camel Urine--->Phosphorus manucfature in Saudi Arabia, according to you this would make good financial sense.  Your real talent in life is self-justifying everything you do.   ::)

Survey Sez...

RE

Well, it might have made better sense to shoot my pigs in the field so as to not have to feed them anymore, but i just couldn't bring myself to take that financially prudent but otherwise rather unwanted step. If I had managed to deal with the pigs without a truck, it would have taken the pressure off to get a working truck. At least for the moment.

But beyond that, I find some use for a truck every week. I use it for the storage business. I use it to put my boats in the water. I use it to move files around for the practice.

So... if I had to have a truck, what I did made about as good a financial sense as my other options. Even an old truck here in great condition can sell for nearly half the price of a new one. To me, the warranty on the new vehicle and the potential liability on buying somebody else's problems makes that a very questionable choice. It didn't used to be like that, but it is now.

To decide whether some strategy makes financial sense for me, I weigh the alternatives. That's all I can do.

I'm certainly not addicted to buying new cars. I haven't ever even bought that many. In almost fifty years of driving, I've bought maybe a dozen new cars, and a third of those were cars I bought for my kids. I know people my age who've owned dozens of cars. That's not my style at all.

At 2.9% for 66 months, my cost of borrowing for the truck is something like $750 a year. That's the price of an iPhone 8. Sounds reasonable to me.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 06:13:57 PM »

Survey Sez...

RE

So... if I had to have a truck, what I did made about as good a financial sense as my other options. Even an old truck here in great condition can sell for nearly half the price of a new one. To me, the warranty on the new vehicle and the potential liability on buying somebody else's problems makes that a very questionable choice. It didn't used to be like that, but it is now.

Yes, I remember well when the purchaser of a used car in decent condition was a wise man, now he is a fool. Unless affordability is out of the question a used car no longer makes any sense. Between repairs, safety stickers, catalytic converters and the absurd prices, anyone with a brain knows the dealers are colluding with one another, used vehicles are just another reason to try and not be poor in this economy. Just imagine buying a five year old shit box at half the price of a new one if you don't have to due to financial circumstances. It would have been a quarter of the cost or less in the old days. The repairs and tires chump change compared to todays rip offs by the unscrupulous.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »
Yes, I remember well when the purchaser of a used car in decent condition was a wise man, now he is a fool. Unless affordability is out of the question a used car no longer makes any sense. Between repairs, safety stickers, catalytic converters and the absurd prices, anyone with a brain knows the dealers are colluding with one another, used vehicles are just another reason to try and not be poor in this economy. Just imagine buying a five year old shit box at half the price of a new one if you don't have to due to financial circumstances. It would have been a quarter of the cost or less in the old days. The repairs and tires chump change compared to todays rip offs by the unscrupulous.

I bought my 1999 Raised Roof Conversion Van last summer for $5000.  Runs great, in great condition no dents and no rust.  Fully legal registered and insured..  New, a similar van costs $40K-$50K.  I have no debtg on it, bought for CASH from the previous owner on Craig's List.  HTF would it have made better financial sense to buy a new van for 8-10X the price?  If something really goes wrong that is too expensive to fix, I just buy another $5000 Van.  I am still way ahead of the game.

I also doubt anything will go wrong with this van anytime soon, it runs like clockwork, smooth as silk.  I jusrt put new oil and all new filters in.  Ifd I take it next summer on the Al-Can pulling a trailer, I'll have rthe heavy duty suspension put in.

Buying new is for suckers.  The vehicle loses 20% of what you paid as soon as you drive it off the lot.  You have to buy full insurance with theft, fire and collision.  I only carry liability, if the vehicle gets wrecked by fire or an earrthquake, I just junk it and buy another one.  Not very likely though, my used carz have all lasted at leasrt 54 years from when I bought them.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »

I bought my 1999 Raised Roof Conversion Van last summer for $5000.  Runs great, in great condition no dents and no rust.  Fully legal registered and insured..  New, a similar van costs $40K-$50K.  I have no debtg on it, bought for CASH from the previous owner on Craig's List.  HTF would it have made better financial sense to buy a new van for 8-10X the price?  If something really goes wrong that is too expensive to fix, I just buy another $5000 Van.  I am still way ahead of the game.

I also doubt anything will go wrong with this van anytime soon, it runs like clockwork, smooth as silk.  I jusrt put new oil and all new filters in.  Ifd I take it next summer on the Al-Can pulling a trailer, I'll have rthe heavy duty suspension put in.

Buying new is for suckers.  The vehicle loses 20% of what you paid as soon as you drive it off the lot.  You have to buy full insurance with theft, fire and collision.  I only carry liability, if the vehicle gets wrecked by fire or an earrthquake, I just junk it and buy another one.  Not very likely though, my used carz have all lasted at leasrt 54 years from when I bought them.

RE

It's not the same, because that's essentially an RV. It isn't a high demand vehicle on the used market. It's an orphan. Not many people want that vehicle.

And maybe it's different in Alaska. But here, CL has really changed the market in a fundamental way. Because anybody with a car to sell can quickly research the local market, prices tend to be more uniform than they used to be.  This is not just with cars, but is a phenomenon across the board on used stuff.

When I started buying old farm equipment to build up the kit I needed for row crop gardening, the prices were all over the place. I bought a very nice tandem disk harrow for $800. Now, I see them for sale, but never for less than 2K. Because sellers see what others are asking, it levels out the market.

I understand that there is instant depreciation on a new vehicle. I don't dispute it. The thing is that there are none of those almost-new trucks out there for sale. The dealers get 'em, and mark them up. No one is out there begging you to pick up the payments on the car they want out from under, anymore.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 01:46:30 PM »

RE

It's not the same, because that's essentially an RV. It isn't a high demand vehicle on the used market. It's an orphan. Not many people want that vehicle.

And maybe it's different in Alaska. But here, CL has really changed the market in a fundamental way. Because anybody with a car to sell can quickly research the local market, prices tend to be more uniform than they used to be.  This is not just with cars, but is a phenomenon across the board on used stuff.

When I started buying old farm equipment to build up the kit I needed for row crop gardening, the prices were all over the place. I bought a very nice tandem disk harrow for $800. Now, I see them for sale, but never for less than 2K. Because sellers see what others are asking, it levels out the market.

I understand that there is instant depreciation on a new vehicle. I don't dispute it. The thing is that there are none of those almost-new trucks out there for sale. The dealers get 'em, and mark them up. No one is out there begging you to pick up the payments on the car they want out from under, anymore.

As in Texas,  4X4 Pickups are very popular vehicles.  Here's a nice one for $5500 over in Eagle River.  I'm actually tempted to call him up and lowball him with a $4500 offer  myself.

Bought new, used for on site repairs everywhere between girdwood and Wasilla /Palmer area so lots of miles, never towed or hauled anything over 100 lbs. still runs like new, driven Daily, leaving state for a while and it's too heavy to tow with my motorhome so have to sell, if I was staying I would keep it, drive the same as when new (a little more air noise at highway speeds) . Dents, dings and scratches but still looks good when washed! Never needed studs, up and down hillside in winter no problem! New windshield. OBO make cash offer, motivated seller.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-ram-hemi-4x4-quad-cab/6630444518.html

I could have bought one here and paid $5000 to any number of my unemplowyed neighbors to drive it down to TX.  It would still be far cheaper than the one you bought.

You could have gone to a depressed state like Mississippi or Arkansas to buy and driven it back yourself.  The money you save on the pickup would easily pay for your missing work for 2 days, if you couldn't fly there on the weekend to drive it home.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2018, 03:29:07 PM »
RE,

It's called feed the ego. We all need to fulfill this urge from time to time.
Eddie needed to be stroked by a car dealer.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »
I called the seller on the 4X4 V-8 Hemi iPickup.  I'll go look at tonight or tomorrow morning.  If it is any good, I will buy it.  It would be a better vehicle for transporting around my Cripple Carts most of the time than my current SUV or SaVANah.  I have ramps already that will work with it easily.  Also a second good tow vehicle to pull my preps out of Alaska if I survive the year and make the move.   I'll put the SUV up for sale if I buy it.  It's 4WD so it will do the job the SUV does for me in the winter when driving around SaVANnah is not fun in the snow.  I can also fit it out with a camper back (used, of course) so it will serve as a second Bugout Machine.

I'll update on this breaking story probably tomorrow.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 04:00:10 PM »

RE

As in Texas,  4X4 Pickups are very popular vehicles.  Here's a nice one for $5500 over in Eagle River.  I'm actually tempted to call him up and lowball him with a $4500 offer  myself.

Bought new, used for on site repairs everywhere between girdwood and Wasilla /Palmer area so lots of miles, never towed or hauled anything over 100 lbs. still runs like new, driven Daily, leaving state for a while and it's too heavy to tow with my motorhome so have to sell, if I was staying I would keep it, drive the same as when new (a little more air noise at highway speeds) . Dents, dings and scratches but still looks good when washed! Never needed studs, up and down hillside in winter no problem! New windshield. OBO make cash offer, motivated seller.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-ram-hemi-4x4-quad-cab/6630444518.html

I could have bought one here and paid $5000 to any number of my unemplowyed neighbors to drive it down to TX.  It would still be far cheaper than the one you bought.

You could have gone to a depressed state like Mississippi or Arkansas to buy and driven it back yourself.  The money you save on the pickup would easily pay for your missing work for 2 days, if you couldn't fly there on the weekend to drive it home.

RE
So 4500 US plus 5000 for transport for a 14 year old vehicle with 270000 and change MILES ON IT... Not knowing if it will pass a safety inspection in texas when it gets there. That ain't no bargain and I'm hardcore cheap. I've driven up 2 vehicles from North Carolina and registered them here. The vehicle has to be within a quarter of the price of new and less then 7-10 years old or it just is not worth it. That truck is about due for everything that eventually needs to be changed to be changed. You can bet that the water pump, radiator, every u joint, half shaft, rotor, shock absorber, sway bar, tie rod, tranny filter, full tranny flush, timing chain replacement(not sure if that one has one) is due on it. Maybe he has done all those and he is that kind of crazy... Each one of those repairs for parts alone is in the $400 range. If you put heavy miles on it or pull anything a whole series of those are going to go. The ONLY way I would touch it would be if I knew the guy, he could account for what he had done to it, then have a mechanic I trust go over it with a fine tooth comb. You would have to find an equivalent truck in Eddie's area of equivalent value. If I had the money I would buy a new truck or some retired tinkerers pet toy. A nice frame off powder coated shop bunny truck. The above part examples are all shit shows that have happened to me personally and are unfortunately not a complete list...