AuthorTopic: SHTF Driving- Or, C5 Turns A Honda Civic Into A Truck  (Read 3904 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: SHTF Driving- Or, C5 Turns A Honda Civic Into A Truck
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 06:27:53 PM »
So 4500 US plus 5000 for transport for a 14 year old vehicle with 270000 and change MILES ON IT... Not knowing if it will pass a safety inspection in texas when it gets there. That ain't no bargain and I'm hardcore cheap. I've driven up 2 vehicles from North Carolina and registered them here. The vehicle has to be within a quarter of the price of new and less then 7-10 years old or it just is not worth it. That truck is about due for everything that eventually needs to be changed to be changed. You can bet that the water pump, radiator, every u joint, half shaft, rotor, shock absorber, sway bar, tie rod, tranny filter, full tranny flush, timing chain replacement(not sure if that one has one) is due on it. Maybe he has done all those and he is that kind of crazy... Each one of those repairs for parts alone is in the $400 range. If you put heavy miles on it or pull anything a whole series of those are going to go. The ONLY way I would touch it would be if I knew the guy, he could account for what he had done to it, then have a mechanic I trust go over it with a fine tooth comb. You would have to find an equivalent truck in Eddie's area of equivalent value. If I had the money I would buy a new truck or some retired tinkerers pet toy. A nice frame off powder coated shop bunny truck. The above part examples are all shit shows that have happened to me personally and are unfortunately not a complete list...

It's 4050 miles from Palmer to Austin, not 5000.  @15mpg, that is 270 gallons of gas.  @ $4/gal, that is $1080, nowhere close to your $5000 estimate.  You can keep your hotel and meal expenses quite low by camping (frree along the Al-Can) and cooking your own food.  max you spend there is another $500.

Far as how it will hold up, I have had a couple of good conversations with the seller, and he hasn't used it for anything but highway driving between Eagle River and Palmer-Wasilla.  He is the sole owner bought it new and is takng his Motor Home to the Lower 48 (now retired).  The Pickup is too heavy to pull with the RV.  I will bet it has another 100,000 miles in it, however I will have a better idea after a test drive.

By no means is it a sure thing I will buy it, but if I do, you can be sure I will drive it down to Austin if for no other reason than to prove you wrong.  ;D

RE
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:38:53 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 06:36:44 PM »
So 4500 US plus 5000 for transport for a 14 year old vehicle with 270000 and change MILES ON IT... Not knowing if it will pass a safety inspection in texas when it gets there. That ain't no bargain and I'm hardcore cheap. I've driven up 2 vehicles from North Carolina and registered them here. The vehicle has to be within a quarter of the price of new and less then 7-10 years old or it just is not worth it. That truck is about due for everything that eventually needs to be changed to be changed. You can bet that the water pump, radiator, every u joint, half shaft, rotor, shock absorber, sway bar, tie rod, tranny filter, full tranny flush, timing chain replacement(not sure if that one has one) is due on it. Maybe he has done all those and he is that kind of crazy... Each one of those repairs for parts alone is in the $400 range. If you put heavy miles on it or pull anything a whole series of those are going to go. The ONLY way I would touch it would be if I knew the guy, he could account for what he had done to it, then have a mechanic I trust go over it with a fine tooth comb. You would have to find an equivalent truck in Eddie's area of equivalent value. If I had the money I would buy a new truck or some retired tinkerers pet toy. A nice frame off powder coated shop bunny truck. The above part examples are all shit shows that have happened to me personally and are unfortunately not a complete list...

It's 4050 miles from Palmer to Austin, not 5000.  @15mpg, that is 270 gallons of gas.  @ $4/gal, that is $1080, nowhere close to your $5000 estimate.  You can keep your hotel and meal expenses quite low by camping (frree along the Al-Can and cooking your own food.  max you spend there is another $500.

Far as how it will hold up, I have had a couple of good conversations with the seller, and he hasn't used it for anything but highway driving between Eagle River and Palmer-Wasilla.  He is the sole owner bought it new an is takng his Motor Home to the Lower 48 (now retired).  The Pickup is too heavy to pull with the RV.  I will bet it has another 100,000 miles in it, however I will have a better idea after a test drive.

By no means is it a sure thing I will buy it, but if I do, you can be sure I will drive it down to Austin if for no other reason than to prove you wrong.  ;D

RE
Did you not quote the $5000 figure for an unemployed neighbour to drive it down? that is where I got the number.  I can't say it will break but there is a much higher probability of it. If I bought it it would be the 200kms from home vehicle not the road trip one. I move kiddies though so my margin for error is much lower. Single daddy can deal with a break down/being stranded daddy David has to be more cautious.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »

It's 4050 miles from Palmer to Austin, not 5000.  @15mpg, that is 270 gallons of gas.  @ $4/gal, that is $1080, nowhere close to your $5000 estimate.  You can keep your hotel and meal expenses quite low by camping (frree along the Al-Can and cooking your own food.  max you spend there is another $500.

Far as how it will hold up, I have had a couple of good conversations with the seller, and he hasn't used it for anything but highway driving between Eagle River and Palmer-Wasilla.  He is the sole owner bought it new an is takng his Motor Home to the Lower 48 (now retired).  The Pickup is too heavy to pull with the RV.  I will bet it has another 100,000 miles in it, however I will have a better idea after a test drive.

RE
Did you not quote the $5000 figure for an unemployed neighbour to drive it down? that is where I got the number.  I can't say it will break but there is a much higher probability of it. If I bought it it would be the 200kms from home vehicle not the road trip one. I move kiddies though so my margin for error is much lower. Single daddy can deal with a break down/being stranded daddy David has to be more cautious.

In my case I don't need to hire a driver if I am still ambulatory, I DIY on the drive assuming my condition improves.  I also can probably get a driver for $2K not 5K.  Drive should take around 2 weeks max, an unemplyed resident here will happily take $1000/week CASH plus a $300 plane ticket home.  Eddie lso could drive it himsef, if he wants to take a road trip adventure on the Al-Can, a Once-in-a-Lifetime opportunity beforethe gas goes Bye-Bye for good.

Your issues with being a single dad are your issues.  They are specific to you and not general issues.  Besides, you have nobody who would take your kids and watch them for a week?  It's not as long a drive as to Austin.  On the Al-Can, if you break down you gotta wait a while, but you will get picked up same day by either the Mounties or by the Tow Truck company.  Is there a risk here that you will lose the money?  Sure there is, but buying a brand spanking new one from the dealership, you are GUARANTEED to spend 8X the initial cost anyhow.  Anyhow, this is a risk when you buy used carz, but I am very successful with the game, in fact I have never been wrong on one with half a dozen of them over the last 30 years.  None lasted under 5 years.  You can bet if I buy ths one, it will last until I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 07:24:23 PM »
Well, my last post for a while is now up over Dark Green Mountain (For those that cant wait till Re ques it in his up coming posts). the interview went well but I am glad it is over. I now go on to fixing stuff, looking at the scenery, poking things with stick and maybe do a bicycle ride.

You will all want the link to CDW3D i put up.

Re. If you want to fill a spot sometime, may I request you post the older article "The Ultimate Cargo Bike". Either of the two versions, The raunchy version or the sharable version. Doesn't matter which. Its the article I most wish to share with the world.

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2018, 09:11:36 PM »
notice all the oil stains on the road where the truck is parked... if its from that vehicle, they will need to be done b4 the interstate transfer inspection at the least. A test drive will not tell you if many of the things David mentioned have another 5k miles in them, let alone 100k, that requires reciepts.

Also dont try and drive your mobility scooter onto and off of the back of it without that unemployed friend ready to catch you. Thats a much steeper incline and higher fall than from a van with a gentle incline to only about 1.5 foot height. Just when u have the front wheels on the back of the truck, the rear drive wheels will spit the ramps they are resting on out, unless they are  set up to be locked in. Even then it would probably get stuck resting on its low chassis at that point because of the steep angle. Humpty Dumpty and scooter could crash down about 4 feet. There should be independent living people who assess all this and get things set up safely without your needing to pay for it. Theyve really dropped the ball on your case.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 11:41:07 PM by Agent Graves »
Junior  Operative, FBI Counter-Doomsdaycult Taskforce

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 11:51:20 PM »
Yes, I remember well when the purchaser of a used car in decent condition was a wise man, now he is a fool. Unless affordability is out of the question a used car no longer makes any sense. Between repairs, safety stickers, catalytic converters and the absurd prices, anyone with a brain knows the dealers are colluding with one another, used vehicles are just another reason to try and not be poor in this economy. Just imagine buying a five year old shit box at half the price of a new one if you don't have to due to financial circumstances. It would have been a quarter of the cost or less in the old days. The repairs and tires chump change compared to todays rip offs by the unscrupulous.

I bought my 1999 Raised Roof Conversion Van last summer for $5000.  Runs great, in great condition no dents and no rust.  Fully legal registered and insured..  New, a similar van costs $40K-$50K.  I have no debtg on it, bought for CASH from the previous owner on Craig's List.  HTF would it have made better financial sense to buy a new van for 8-10X the price?  If something really goes wrong that is too expensive to fix, I just buy another $5000 Van.  I am still way ahead of the game.

I also doubt anything will go wrong with this van anytime soon, it runs like clockwork, smooth as silk.  I jusrt put new oil and all new filters in.  Ifd I take it next summer on the Al-Can pulling a trailer, I'll have rthe heavy duty suspension put in.
RE, I think both you and GO are correct, the difference in your opinions/experiences is due to the difference in your abilities.  RE, you have the ability to tell whether a used vehicle will run well or is a clunker.  That is critical to having good experiences buying used vehicles.  If you don't have that ability, then paying 8x -10x more for a vehicle that will last you 20x - 30x longer is a relative bargain.  Or, more likely, lasts 10x longer but is only 4-5x as expensive after all the money you put in repairs.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2018, 12:41:58 AM »
JD: RE, I think both you and GO are correct, the difference in your opinions/experiences is due to the difference in your abilities.  RE, you have the ability to tell whether a used vehicle will run well or is a clunker.  That is critical to having good experiences buying used vehicles.

Maybe, or perhaps RE has just been generally lucky and has the ability to forget the bad, silly things he has done in the past.  It all depends on how many dead vehicles you have parked somewhere because they are 'too good to throw away'.  RE is a consumerist, par excellence, and that's nothing to be proud of.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2018, 01:06:46 AM »
Well, my last post for a while is now up over Dark Green Mountain (For those that cant wait till Re ques it in his up coming posts). the interview went well but I am glad it is over. I now go on to fixing stuff, looking at the scenery, poking things with stick and maybe do a bicycle ride.

Re. If you want to fill a spot sometime, may I request you post the older article "The Ultimate Cargo Bike". Either of the two versions, The raunchy version or the sharable version. Doesn't matter which. Its the article I most wish to share with the world.

I will be sorry to see your writing not continue.  It was good stuff  and you only were contributing here on the Diner a couple of months.  "Johnny, I hardly knew ye."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wFUTHcjiZGo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wFUTHcjiZGo</a>

You can as I mentioned also switch over to Video Blogging (VLogging) from text Blogging, and it's a lot simpler, you don't have to ponder so much on your phrasing and you can "just do".  You don't even need to be a good "public speaker" for this (you say you are not, which I don't believe).  Mr. Primitive Technology does all his vids mute.  Here is one where he builds a cabin using only primitive tools.  No Power Tools here!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P73REgj-3UE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/P73REgj-3UE</a>

In any event, even if you quit blogging which takes a lot of time to compose a good one, you can still drop in here for he occasional chat on various collapse topics.  That can be done in a few minutes a day when you are taking a Coffee Break (or Beer Brak, Ganja Break,etc).  Your perspective is an interesting one and I look forward to hearing more from you.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 01:38:32 AM »
JD: RE, I think both you and GO are correct, the difference in your opinions/experiences is due to the difference in your abilities.  RE, you have the ability to tell whether a used vehicle will run well or is a clunker.  That is critical to having good experiences buying used vehicles.

Maybe, or perhaps RE has just been generally lucky and has the ability to forget the bad, silly things he has done in the past.  It all depends on how many dead vehicles you have parked somewhere because they are 'too good to throw away'.  RE is a consumerist, par excellence, and that's nothing to be proud of.

All my vehicles were well past their expected lifespan when I got rid of them, and all gave me years of service before that at bargain prices from the used market.  I have spent less on all my carz together over 30 years than Eddie just spent on one  pickup truck.

Generally "lucky"?  Well, sure that is possible but if I was that lucky shooting craps at the crap table and rolled 6 in a row 7s, at the paid odds of 4:1 with a $10 initial bet I would walk away from the table with$40,960.

Someof it is luck for sure, but most of it comes from knowing what engines sound like and feeling how the vehicle shifts and how it accelerates.  Then you need to evaluate what kind of owner it had before you.  Does he seem like someone who maintains his carz welll?  Does he have records of his oil changes and repairs?

It IS something of a crapshoot to buy used carz.  But in the risk-benefit analysis, it more than pays for itself over time.  Even if I had been wrong 2 times out of the 6, I would still be way ahead from buying new.  But I wasn't wrong.

We'll see what tomorrow brings with this vehicle, if I can get myself to Eagle River to look at it to begin with.  I don't have a driver tomorrow.  Just getting to my own car right outside my door right now will be a challenge.  Then I have to transfer my rotting hulk from one vehicle to he other.  I don't have to drive it, in fact is better if the seller does.  then I can focus on what the vehicle sounds lik a various RPMs and what it feels like in turns and accelerating.

We'll just have to see what happens tomorrow.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline cernunnos5

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2018, 05:11:00 AM »

I will be sorry to see your writing not continue.  It was good stuff  and you only were contributing here on the Diner a couple of months.  "Johnny, I hardly knew ye."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wFUTHcjiZGo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wFUTHcjiZGo</a>

You can as I mentioned also switch over to Video Blogging (VLogging) from text Blogging, and it's a lot simpler, you don't have to ponder so much on your phrasing and you can "just do".  You don't even need to be a good "public speaker" for this (you say you are not, which I don't believe).  Mr. Primitive Technology does all his vids mute.  Here is one where he builds a cabin using only primitive tools.  No Power Tools here!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P73REgj-3UE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/P73REgj-3UE</a>

In any event, even if you quit blogging which takes a lot of time to compose a good one, you can still drop in here for he occasional chat on various collapse topics.  That can be done in a few minutes a day when you are taking a Coffee Break (or Beer Brak, Ganja Break,etc).  Your perspective is an interesting one and I look forward to hearing more from you.

RE
Oh, Its not like I am disappearing for good. Just taking some re focusing time. Letting all that rage and sarcasm percolate under the surface for a while until it becomes a volcano.

The risk will be if I lose all my readers.... or will absence make the heart grow fonder. If anything, I really should go back to pen and paper because that is alot faster for me. I can take it with me and dont need to be staring at a screen all the time. Either way, a heat bubble is finally hitting us here.... and I need to go kill some burdock and thistle which has invaded before the heat hits.   

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2018, 05:35:44 AM »

The risk will be if I lose all my readers.... or will absence make the heart grow fonder.

That's an EZ question to answer.  You'll lose most of your  readers.  Anything more than a month between blogs and they start drifting away and stop checkng in at the site to see if there is anything new.  After 3 months off, you might as well be starting from scratch if/when you return to blogging.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2018, 04:32:18 PM »
OK, saw the pickup, went out for a test drive too.  I couldn't drive today and I had nobody to drive me to Eagle River, so when JR (the seller) called I told him I couldn't make it till Monday because my legs are so bad right now.  He said he would drive out to me so I said sure, that's fine.  He got here about 40 minutes later.  That is a MOTIVATED seller!

Exterior, the car is basically like it looks in the pics.  The interior looks like you would expect from a working truck for a repairman that is 14 years old, it needs a  full cleaning.  For this one, I will invest in a detailing job if I get it.  We went for a drive, and the engine starts easily and responds perfectly.  No problem on the grades, although we didn't take any really MAJOR ones.  I don't expect to do too much of that anyhow though.  Towing capacity, with the current package 10,000 lb, put a heavy duty suspsion on it good to probably 20K.  I won't be pulling more than 5000.

In normal times, I would have bought it for $5K on the spot.  But these are not normal times.  Right now, I can't even drive it, much as I can't drive either of the vehicles I currently own and are parked in front of my digs.  So it would just sit in a parking spot until I croak, which doesn't make a lot of sense then to buy it,

In normal times also, he likely would have accepted the $4500 offer I made for it at the end of the test drive too because he is itching to get out of town, his house is sold amd everything packed up into his RV ready to go as soon as he sells the car.  He wanted to try and make it down to the Lower 48 by the 4th of July to be with family.

So what I did was lowball him with the $4500 offer and told him I couldn't have the CASH until Monday when the Banks open.  This is ullshit, I have the cash but I am still on the fence about buy  He does have another buyer interested who he did not make an appointment with to give me first crack at the car, but I told him see if he gets full asking price   Give the other (someoe else called after me), but if he doesn't sell it call me back and I'll take it on Monday for $4500.

If he sells it off to the other guy, especially if I recover I will feel bad about missing the deal, but not devastated because another one is sure to come up.  Big 4WD Pickups are vry popular vehicles here as they are in TX, but people are selling them now to get carz with better gas mileage.  If he calls up and says on Monday it's yours for $4500, I'll buy it even if I can't drive it right now.  I should get at least $2500 for the SUV, so it will only have costed me $2000 for the change.  A massive increase in towing power and cargo capacity over the SUV.  If I do recover, it will be an excellent vehicle in tandem with SaVANnah fpr trans[porting my preps and mpving down to the Lower 48.

In terms of "making financial sense", even if in a year's time it craps out it  I could buy another one, rinse and repeat for 5 years straight that is $22,500 probably half what Eddie paid for his new truck  I don't think this one will crap out in a year though.  I think it will last longer than I do (which granted may not be very long, but that only further makes the case for buying such a vehicle cheap).

If it is written in the stars, I will get it.  If it is written in the stars, the other buyer will outbid me. ( I'll go as high as $5000, my upper limit on buying Used Carz).  We'll know Monday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zqHZWdFVyyQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/zqHZWdFVyyQ</a>

RE

If it is written in the Stars, I will have  a lovely
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy2

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »
In normal times, I would have bought it for $5K on the spot.  But these are not normal times.  Right now, I can't even drive it, much as I can't drive either of the vehicles I currently own and are parked in front of my digs.  So it would just sit in a parking spot until I croak, which doesn't make a lot of sense then to buy it,

You should be doing drive-by shoot-ups of car lots, not buying monster trucks which you can't drive.  Consumerist, MOTIVATED buyer. You have absolutely no sensible motive to buy that ugly, 4 tonne heap of crap, other than to look like a macho hill-billy, which you are not any more.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
Any gas truck with 270K is getting close to wearing out. There are no 400K mileage trucks for sale anywhere. Try to find one. essentially there are NONE on the market. As in ZERO. My record (95 Toyota bought new and driven by yours truly) made it to nearly 300K...and then it blew a head gasket.

My brother is a mechanic. He and his son make a game out of seeing how many miles they can get from a truck without a major overhaul. These days it's a little over 300K for the Chevy gas trucks. Diesels, well cared for, can go a lot further.

This is with all the regular maintenance and no catastrophic problems.

If....if you blow out a water hose and keep driving with an overheated motor, it's done.

If you shred a timing belt, it's done.

Automatic transmissions overheat when you pull an oversize load sometimes...and its done.

A truck running fine at 270K is due for anything and every mechanical auxiliary device that has not broken....alternator, water pump, AC compressor...all those are nearing the end of their useful life. If they have been replaced? the replacements are in no way as good as the new ones were, in most cases.

I dispute that RE can tell any better than I can whether a typical gas car or truck has a hidden problem. I've been working on cars all my life, and his experience is limited to driving them.

A typical "good" used truck these days has 150K and sells here for around 20K. Even at this "low" mileage, you can expect to immediately need to put money into deferred maintenance. Like a timing belt, which is no longer a cheap fix.

David understands the real equation. You have to answer an important question. "How well can I afford to deal with a break-down?"

If you have little kids and live in a place that's real cold (Canada) or real hot (Texas), then you have to worry. (Or if you're disabled and can't walk home. Duh!)

I don't have the free time to deal with down time, and I don't want to have my truck towed a hundred miles or more to a shop I trust. We have 100 degree heat this time of year.

I don't want my pigs to die of thirst and heat exhaustion in a trailer parked beside the road that I can't move.

You armchair experts party on. What load of crap. This thread has gotten downright stupid. I live in the real world where dependability matters a lot.

RE, you need that pick-up like you need another hole in your head. Come to your senses.

Get a little car and get it modified to accommodate your disabilities, if you really need the mobility. I don't think you even need that, since you have close access to the necessities. Be like AG, and let go of FF vehicles. There is definitely freedom in letting go of the car culture.

I shared what I did in my unique circumstances. I don't try to convince anyone else they should do what I did. I generally advise driving as little as possible, for a long list of good reasons.

I am NOT doing  what most people with pick-ups do around here. That is, I don't use it for my commute, and I don't drive it to the mall on Saturday to buy dumb plastic shit that rapidly turns into garbage.. I use it for things that can't be accomplished any other way, and I use it as a last resort. I hope this new truck will be my last. It probably will be.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2018, 10:54:15 AM »

There are two versions? I know I read that piece, but it's been a while though.

Let's post the raunchy version.

Your writing will be missed. Unfortunately, RE is probably correct in that you'll lose some readership if you drop off the net for very long.  Hopefully, you can find time for a short rant here and there. I know you put a lot of time and effort into writing what you write. It shows.

If time is not there, I do understand. If it's something else really, something more attitudinal, I hope taking a short break will recharge your writing battery. You have good things to share, and I enjoy just about everything you post, even though my problem set here is radically different. I might not always take your advice, but I do pay attention to it, and I think it's spot on, almost always.

I wish you the best of luck in all your efforts to build resilience and prosper in the coming hard times. I hope I get to meet you someday and shake your hand. Your contribution here at the Diner has been tremendous, at a time when many of us are less motivated to keep thinking and writing about collapse. Collapse burnout is a real thing.

Today, 1st of July, 2018, my creek is completely dry except for a few gallons seeping up from the deepest springs and rapidly evaporating. That too will be gone this week.

These three wet years have been a blessing. I wonder how many dry years are in store before the water comes back, or if it will. The water table on the stead is far better than in Austin, and plenty of water is available from the well, while BAU persists. Glad I'm on the Trinity Aquifer and not the doomed Edwards.

I need to put attention back on finishing the solar pump jack project I started way back before the 1st convo. And passive cooling for the greenhouse. Funny how we live in radically differing environments, but the solutions are the same. Take control of the growing environment.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.