AuthorTopic: SHTF Driving- Or, C5 Turns A Honda Civic Into A Truck  (Read 2111 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: SHTF Driving- Or, C5 Turns A Honda Civic Into A Truck
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2018, 01:25:05 PM »
Any gas truck with 270K is getting close to wearing out. There are no 400K mileage trucks for sale anywhere. Try to find one. essentially there are NONE on the market. As in ZERO. My record (95 Toyota bought new and driven by yours truly) made it to nearly 300K...and then it blew a head gasket.(/quote)

We'll never know how long it would have lasted with this rruck. It went to the other buyer for the full asking price, l'lll never know if the truck would have made 300K or more miles.  It went for the full askng price to the other buyer, JR just called and told me.  Today also has been so bad with my legs that I wouldn't have bought it even if he told me the other guy dropped out and he would take the $4500.  I HAVE to get into hospital tomorrow, even if it means not being here for the latest Home Invasion.  I had another "I've flallen and I can't get up disasters today.  I also can hardly even transfer myself from chair to chair or toilet seat.  I think there is a better than even chance I will lose my right foot.  I will not buy this truck or any other one until this problem is resolved.  However, if I do recover from this latest setback, I will be in the market to find a pickup truck to trade my SUV for, it has much more utility for m in making the move back to the Lower 48 and then looking further forward buying a 5th wheel for it for my final living arrangement.  The leg issues need to be resolved first though.

Automatic transmissions overheat when you pull an oversize load sometimes...and its done.

I won't be pulling any oversize loads.  I doubt I'll pull more than 5000 lbs, forget 10.

I dispute that RE can tell any better than I can whether a typical gas car or truck has a hidden problem. I've been working on cars all my life, and his experience is limited to driving them.

I never said it was "better" .  My ability isn't based on workng on carz my whole ljfe, it is a Paranormal gift.   ;D  It's AZ Woo-Woo stuff.  Like the Spidey Sense that Spiderman has.  I get a tingling in my spine when something is wong with the vehicle I can't see.

If you have little kids and live in a place that's real cold (Canada) or real hot (Texas), then you have to worry. (Or if you're disabled and can't walk home. Duh!)

I don't have the free time to deal with down time, and I don't want to have my truck towed a hundred miles or more to a shop I trust. We have 100 degree heat this time of year.

I don't want my pigs to die of thirst and heat exhaustion in a trailer parked beside the road that I can't move.

That's why we have folding Cripple Carts for.  ;D

Also why people make a nice living driving Tow Trucks.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2018, 01:07:35 AM »
David understands the real equation. You have to answer an important question. "How well can I afford to deal with a break-down?"

If you have little kids and live in a place that's real cold (Canada) or real hot (Texas), then you have to worry. (Or if you're disabled and can't walk home. Duh!)

I would have a cord from cig lighter to scooter keeping it fully charged after use, as well as wingnuts on vehicle battery clamp and terminals.  Like that you can take it out easily and do another 5-10 miles. Walking is for suckers.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:10:41 AM by Agent Graves »
Junior  Operative, FBI Counter-Doomsdaycult Taskforce

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2018, 04:52:24 AM »
With cell phones, things got a lot easier for getting help in a minor emergency. You can generally get help. But I recently had a blow out on the old truck and couldn't find my jack. I was stuck on the side of the road until some guy stopped and let  me use his. It gets truly oppressively hot here this time of year. Not good unless you're used to it, and only day laborers are used to it. The rest of us use our AC relentlessly, even in our cars.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2018, 09:24:53 AM »
For those wondering where i disappeared to, I have had some set backs. My next article on The Adapters Movement, with peer review, will take a few months to write and will be LONG. My Thesis and most important work.

also, the wind power isnt working yet.

but what I am hear to report is that The SHTF Honda Civic has been totaled. We got rear ended. We are not injured beyond a few days of discomfort and shock and a few weeks of inconvenience.

"God is happy, Sabu. He plays with us" (from Out Of Africa). It seems the gods kept that vehicle alive, only long enough for me to write that article... and now it has served its purpose and went onto collapse heaven. Go into the headlights.

Speaking of Stoicism.... while MrsC5 was in shock and freaking out, I was able to switch mental gears and go "YES! We just won the lottery". We were going to need the next disposable vehicle soon and the beat up civic would have returned no value to us except in parts for another civic. Instead, we get 2500 for it.

We have upgraded to a 2009 Subaru Forester, manual transmission, since we dont trust automatics on older vehicles. Supposedly, its the other option for reliability. I wont comment on that until we have had it for a few years.

FYI, back to back to back storms have been disruptive here. The next hits tomorrow then again latter in the week.

Now I better get out there to cut NEXT YEARS firewood. Tis the season. I am mainly  taking out the trees near powerlines. Preemptive adaptation before the winds take them down. Im using ropes to pull the trees away from electrifying lines. ZAP.
Also, the scrub is now being moved to the garden. After this summers drought, its time to embrace Huglekulture mounds to store moisture in the soil.

My chainsaw awaits....

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »
For those wondering where i disappeared to, I have had some set backs. My next article on The Adapters Movement, with peer review, will take a few months to write and will be LONG. My Thesis and most important work.

also, the wind power isnt working yet.

but what I am hear to report is that The SHTF Honda Civic has been totaled. We got rear ended. We are not injured beyond a few days of discomfort and shock and a few weeks of inconvenience.

"God is happy, Sabu. He plays with us" (from Out Of Africa). It seems the gods kept that vehicle alive, only long enough for me to write that article... and now it has served its purpose and went onto collapse heaven. Go into the headlights.

Speaking of Stoicism.... while MrsC5 was in shock and freaking out, I was able to switch mental gears and go "YES! We just won the lottery". We were going to need the next disposable vehicle soon and the beat up civic would have returned no value to us except in parts for another civic. Instead, we get 2500 for it.

We have upgraded to a 2009 Subaru Forester, manual transmission, since we dont trust automatics on older vehicles. Supposedly, its the other option for reliability. I wont comment on that until we have had it for a few years.

FYI, back to back to back storms have been disruptive here. The next hits tomorrow then again latter in the week.

Now I better get out there to cut NEXT YEARS firewood. Tis the season. I am mainly  taking out the trees near powerlines. Preemptive adaptation before the winds take them down. Im using ropes to pull the trees away from electrifying lines. ZAP.
Also, the scrub is now being moved to the garden. After this summers drought, its time to embrace Huglekulture mounds to store moisture in the soil.

My chainsaw awaits....

Nice 2 hear from U C5.  Sorry the Civic has gone to the Great Beyond.  Reminds me of the recent loss of my Mazda last year.  :'(

Your Big Article sounds cool, but ya know, you don't have to just work on one thing at a time.  I have about 4 projects going at the moment.  It's how you keep your readership numbers up.  You gotta pitch out the content at least bi-weekly.  I get complaint emails every time I miss more than a week with an article.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN