AuthorTopic: little vehicles  (Read 441 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
little vehicles
« on: June 29, 2018, 03:22:04 PM »

Why Little Vehicles Will Conquer the City

The public reaction to the arrival of dockless bikes and electric scooters in U.S. cities can be tracked in stages. The first stage, for many, was annoyance. Who were these grown men and women on candy-colored bikes and teeny kick-scooters speeding down the streets and sidewalks, menacing walkers and leaving their rented toys all over the place? Especially in San Francisco, where this whimsical new mobility mode has taken off, scooters have come to represent yet another example of tech industry entitlement, another way for a startup to move fast and break stuff.

In response, many a Twitter urbanist has used this backlash to point out the relative danger and disruption of larger dockless vehicles:

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2018/06/welcome-to-the-tiny-vehicle-age/563342/

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: little vehicles - scooter wars "BLOODBATH"
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 01:47:37 PM »
Who is going to win the Scooter Wars? Startups like Bird, Lime and Spin have invaded dozens of U.S. cities with their tech-savvy scooter fleets in the last few months. Investors are pouring hundreds of millions into the scooter companies with the hope that the best-capitalized scooter company will win. But as the prior Rideshare Wars demonstrated, money alone is not enough.

https://www.recode.net/2018/7/12/17549498/scooter-wars-bloodbath-bird-lime-spin-uber

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
little vehicles
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 05:18:35 PM »

Segway was supposed to change the world. Two decades later, it just might

Bedford, New HampshireRoger Brown still remembers the shocked looks people gave him the first time he rode a Segway through the halls of the company's New Hampshire headquarters.
It was early 2013, a rough time for the startup and its aspirations of changing how the world gets around. Brown had bought the company for just $9 million a few weeks before and flown in from his home in Tennessee to begin turning things around. What better way to get a sense of the place than to zip about on its signature product?
As Brown cruised the halls on the self-balancing two-wheeled scooter, an employee pulled him aside to lecture him on the risks of riding without a helmet. Brown was dumbfounded. "I own the company," he told the employee. "I can do it." With that, he whizzed away.
A few hours later, he received an email outlining the company's safety policies, which included mandatory helmet use. Either Brown would change his ways, or he'd be written up.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/tech/segway-history/index.html