AuthorTopic: Net Zero McMansion  (Read 3204 times)

Offline farmgal

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Net Zero McMansion
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 07:47:12 AM »
Perhaps it will be different in your neck of the woods but I know that most folks are shocked if we talk about power use, they assume very wrongly that because we are a farm that we use less power then they do.. they assume because I do have solar panels that it reduces our power load.

We took the Big Barn off regular power to Solar the first year we moved here and moved the drilled well to a big old hand pump, you got the muscles, you got the water, but in truth most of our biggest water collection is done off the big and little barns steel roofs.

Still even so the little barn (which is still a big barn just not compared to the old dairy barn) run regular power, and it runs off a different well, which has a full power pump  While there are different uses between the high humid heat of summer vs the bitter colds of winter.. but be it running fans or be it running heat lamps.. it all uses power.  Because I sell farmgate meats, I must have a different freezer for their holding and selling out of, vs the freezers for home use and home butchered meat.  I try and sell out as fast as possible so I can turn that big energy hog of a freezer off but its a legal requirement.

Seed starting early which is a must for so many crops due to our much shorter growing season really add's up the power use.

I do a lot of drying (power usage as we only get like four days a summer without to much humidity for outside drying) and same with canning, while I do a huge amount of it, averaging 1500 jars give or take a year.. I have moved that over to propane to reduce costs after I did the math..

No AC in the house and we can still use the kind of power Eddie is talking about.. its not just about people household use, its about overall total farm use..

I trade the power costs off for knowing what is on our plates and in our freezers and cupboards.  Its a trade off at this time that I can make and willingly do so. We do have plans to add more solar, the little barn will be the next one.. the house itself would be the last one we would do..

We do not tie our power back to the grid either.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 08:14:01 AM »
Thanks farmgal. Sounds like I need more panels for the farm too.

I have been stockpiling stuff to build an array out there myself, but dragging my feet because I worry about some possible trespasser using my new array for target practice. I have the bare bones to build out a little over 4000 watts, but I bought all that when panels were more expensive, and now we have this good manufacturer nearby, and prices have dropped. But we have 5 hour sun, which makes a small system like that put out a fair amount of power.

I never intended to tie the farm system to the grid. The rural utility provider is not good to work with on solar. The city is better, except no DIY allowed.

I know a lot of off-grid CSA farmers here use generators a lot. Not a great solution for the long haul.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 08:18:11 AM »
AG; On the larger question, I believe installing solar increases the value of the house at least as much as it costs.

You just don't get it, there's an ENERGY problem, not a $ problem.  I don't care whether it makes sense from a $ viewpoint, its the use of energy to try to solve a potential energy shortage problem, especially when it's all grid-tied anyway, that bugs me.

I fear that maybe I do get it; Capitalist using and contributing clean energy is still bad, because good communist should be more spartan.
Junior  Operative, FBI Counter-Doomsdaycult Taskforce

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
The stead is about 30 minutes from the very edge of the outer burbs now. It was further when I bought it. Damn city keeps getting bigger.

But it is tucked away down a private unpaved road between several larger ranches, off the beaten path. Half a dozen independent neighbors. Not collapse aware, particularly, but resourceful country people. I could have done worse. Climate is the biggest enemy, imho, not people.
where you are I assume they will propose a single central inverter and depending on sun probably not even maximizes.  If down the road you want a battery component outback and schneider both do ac coupled features on their inverters. You trick the grid tied inverter into thinking a grid is present and it produces power which feed the battery inverter's charge controller. The point is you have options. Get the panels up the wire runs in the switches and permits etc what you do later with it is just a box on the wall...Some people are talking peak solar these days where panels will never be this cheap again...

Maybe I  can specify those components now. What do you think about the mini charge controllers, or whatever they're called? I forget.

Micros! I remembered. (I forgot Alzheimer's when I was talking about shitty ways to go out.) Sounds like they have pros and cons, resilience wise.

Who makes components they will fix if they break? That's what I 'd like to know. Nobody, right? Thought so.....

Yes or no for a system like what I'm thinking?
if you go the micro inverter route it's more money upfront but it's a very easy transition to ac coupling. Specify the AP Systems the YC500I https://apsystems.com/ . The reason I suggest that is they make the ones magnum energy rebadge as their own so the software is identical. 10kw of microinverters will support 12000 watts of panels which would match up perfectly to 2 magnum energy 4448pae inverters down the road. We use micros because I get panel by panel read outs on them and if one dies I can change it out in an hour with a wrench. If a main inverter fails you have to launch a claim with the company and need a 3 hour electrical job to change it out... Stockpile extras of them if you worry about resilience at 300 a pop (one inverter does 2 panels)it's a cheap prep. I would stay away from the Enphase products at this point; they released 2 duds in a row and are expensive in comparison. Micros solve a lot of problems for us. We like them a lot.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:42:40 AM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
Perhaps it will be different in your neck of the woods but I know that most folks are shocked if we talk about power use, they assume very wrongly that because we are a farm that we use less power then they do.. they assume because I do have solar panels that it reduces our power load.

We took the Big Barn off regular power to Solar the first year we moved here and moved the drilled well to a big old hand pump, you got the muscles, you got the water, but in truth most of our biggest water collection is done off the big and little barns steel roofs.

Still even so the little barn (which is still a big barn just not compared to the old dairy barn) run regular power, and it runs off a different well, which has a full power pump  While there are different uses between the high humid heat of summer vs the bitter colds of winter.. but be it running fans or be it running heat lamps.. it all uses power.  Because I sell farmgate meats, I must have a different freezer for their holding and selling out of, vs the freezers for home use and home butchered meat.  I try and sell out as fast as possible so I can turn that big energy hog of a freezer off but its a legal requirement.

Seed starting early which is a must for so many crops due to our much shorter growing season really add's up the power use.

I do a lot of drying (power usage as we only get like four days a summer without to much humidity for outside drying) and same with canning, while I do a huge amount of it, averaging 1500 jars give or take a year.. I have moved that over to propane to reduce costs after I did the math..

No AC in the house and we can still use the kind of power Eddie is talking about.. its not just about people household use, its about overall total farm use..

I trade the power costs off for knowing what is on our plates and in our freezers and cupboards.  Its a trade off at this time that I can make and willingly do so. We do have plans to add more solar, the little barn will be the next one.. the house itself would be the last one we would do..

Interesting read. I know my inlaws farm power consumption is in the same range. For them its fluorescent grow lights for seedlings heatlines for water lines in winter blowers for the hoop houses and a refrigerated building that eats them alive. I swear there is a good living out there to be made doing energy audits and work arounds. Its one of the most frustrating parts of my job we size and deploy solar for people without bitting down into where all the power is going. If I had to guess based on a dozen site assessments on farms I've done at this point Here are the obvious ones: Water is generally not a big power hog if its a deep well  its approx 1 watt per litre of water pumped. Head
tlamps will eat you alive: The infrared lights for chicks go at about 200 watts per bulb or 5kW Hr each since they run 24hrs a day. I'm trying these for my chicks this year https://www.amazon.ca/Brinsea-Products-EcoGlow-Chick-Brooder/dp/B008HVM56Q?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_j0foh7bas_e
20 watts per hour instead of 200, so a 90 percent savings. Depending on scale of course
Waterline heating in winter time. I find many farms installed the heated line in existing pipes that runs 24/7 in winter time when electricity was cheap. Either without a thermostat or so badly insulated that its on all the time. The heatline runs at about 5 watts per foot of line per hour.  I pulled a line a few years back and reinstalled an insulated run of line and went from on 24 hrs per day to on 5 minutes and off for 20 minutes on a timer: reduction of 75 percent. grow lights... Well no efficiency there you need them you use them. I only have 4ft by 4 ft of led lights but its just for my gardens.  Just some top of mind thought. Hope its not too preachy you know your situation best.
Cheers,  David
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:43:46 AM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 10:28:06 AM »
AG; On the larger question, I believe installing solar increases the value of the house at least as much as it costs.

You just don't get it, there's an ENERGY problem, not a $ problem.  I don't care whether it makes sense from a $ viewpoint, its the use of energy to try to solve a potential energy shortage problem, especially when it's all grid-tied anyway, that bugs me.

I fear that maybe I do get it; Capitalist using and contributing clean energy is still bad, because good communist should be more spartan.

Indeed, You are very perceptive Agent Graves. Perhaps, very aware might be as fitting  as and adjunct as well?                                                                                                         A pleasure to finally converse with you. Welcome and Regards, GO

Offline farmgal

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 11:45:31 AM »

Interesting read. I know my inlaws farm power consumption is in the same range. For them its fluorescent grow lights for seedlings heatlines for water lines in winter blowers for the hoop houses and a refrigerated building that eats them alive. I swear there is a good living out there to be made doing energy audits and work arounds. Its one of the most frustrating parts of my job we size and deploy solar for people without bitting down into where all the power is going. If I had to guess based on a dozen site assessments on farms I've done at this point Here are the obvious ones: Water is generally not a big power hog if its a deep well  its approx 1 watt per litre of water pumped. Head
tlamps will eat you alive: The infrared lights for chicks go at about 200 watts per bulb or 5kW Hr each since they run 24hrs a day. I'm trying these for my chicks this year https://www.amazon.ca/Brinsea-Products-EcoGlow-Chick-Brooder/dp/B008HVM56Q?th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_j0foh7bas_e
20 watts per hour instead of 200, so a 90 percent savings. Depending on scale of course
Waterline heating in winter time. I find many farms installed the heated line in existing pipes that runs 24/7 in winter time when electricity was cheap. Either without a thermostat or so badly insulated that its on all the time. The heatline runs at about 5 watts per foot of line per hour.  I pulled a line a few years back and reinstalled an insulated run of line and went from on 24 hrs per day to on 5 minutes and off for 20 minutes on a timer: reduction of 75 percent. grow lights... Well no efficiency there you need them you use them. I only have 4ft by 4 ft of led lights but its just for my gardens.  Just some top of mind thought. Hope its not too preachy you know your situation best.
Cheers,  David

Not preachy at all, all good points.. I do have the egoglow for the newly hatched chicks that I use the incubator for (there is another power hog) but the sale of chicks is good, so it more then pays for itself in the long run. I also use those plastic heated dog floors for larger numbers of the chicks. I also use a little solar panel to run the "chicken" lights for laying times but for the deep dark part of our Canadian winter, the heat lamps can be the difference between frozen water and fresh and between frost bit combs etc. So I hear you on those and I do try and do work arounds when I can. 

Interesting point on the line heaters and something that is worth looking into, thanks, we did them a number of years back and while they always get a good look over for fall, I have not done any work or reading on if there is a better choice out there on the market that will use less power and I will find the time to do so.

Because I am home 24/7 on the farm, I am still old school on the hoop house and our lean too greenhouse, I do the opening and closing by hand, but I keep telling hubby one of these days I am going to invest in the one that has the connection to the temp gage and open and shuts on its own LOL

I do most of my milking by hand so that cuts down on the power there but still need to use either the milk fridge to do a cool down if I am milking enough to make it worth turning that fridge on, or I need to hit the cool power burst on the big fridge for rapid chill.. every way of doing things costs in some way :)

I love days where the milk can just be mixed with older clabber and left to sit at room temp to turn for pig, chicken feed.. but when its marked for home use, or cheese or yogurt etc, then I need to put that extra work (an energy) into it.

They offer free power checks from our power company to come out and check for any extra or stray voltage use on the farms.  Some point, I would like to get a solar electric fencer but right now I have a really good quality plug in that does the hot lines. They say that I am in the lowest 10% of the farms in my area for my power use, I always think.. wow.. how much is the guys in the highest 90 percent using?

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »

Cheers,  David

Not preachy at all, all good points.. I do have the egoglow for the newly hatched chicks that I use the incubator for (there is another power hog) but the sale of chicks is good, so it more then pays for itself in the long run. I also use those plastic heated dog floors for larger numbers of the chicks. I also use a little solar panel to run the "chicken" lights for laying times but for the deep dark part of our Canadian winter, the heat lamps can be the difference between frozen water and fresh and between frost bit combs etc. So I hear you on those and I do try and do work arounds when I can. 

Interesting point on the line heaters and something that is worth looking into, thanks, we did them a number of years back and while they always get a good look over for fall, I have not done any work or reading on if there is a better choice out there on the market that will use less power and I will find the time to do so.

Because I am home 24/7 on the farm, I am still old school on the hoop house and our lean too greenhouse, I do the opening and closing by hand, but I keep telling hubby one of these days I am going to invest in the one that has the connection to the temp gage and open and shuts on its own LOL

I do most of my milking by hand so that cuts down on the power there but still need to use either the milk fridge to do a cool down if I am milking enough to make it worth turning that fridge on, or I need to hit the cool power burst on the big fridge for rapid chill.. every way of doing things costs in some way :)

I love days where the milk can just be mixed with older clabber and left to sit at room temp to turn for pig, chicken feed.. but when its marked for home use, or cheese or yogurt etc, then I need to put that extra work (an energy) into it.

They offer free power checks from our power company to come out and check for any extra or stray voltage use on the farms.  Some point, I would like to get a solar electric fencer but right now I have a really good quality plug in that does the hot lines. They say that I am in the lowest 10% of the farms in my area for my power use, I always think.. wow.. how much is the guys in the highest 90 percent using?
yup that is what I figured you have it covered. Throw a kill a watt meter on the heat lines next winter they are shocking pigs for power use. Water I prefer the tanks with heating elements over light but I only do a few laying birds over winter so easy for me. I do have a friend who keeps the incubator close to the woodstove to remove a large portion of her electric heat load on it. The thermostat only turns on the heat element to make up the difference.I'm determined to do a radiant floor chicken coop to move it to wood but who knows when that happens. Always a pleasure...
David.

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »
Eddie: Kim Young Fatty can nuke LA, and my lights won't even blink.

And if I'm alright, bugger the people of LA.  And if he nukes your nuke power station at Bay City, how will the Texan Grid cope?  And all your microprocessor-controlled inverters and switchgear?

Your abuse of Kim Jong Un is so automatic that you probably don't notice it yourself. You call him fat because he is a Communist, even though he is not as fat as Trump.  Enough said, he must be a horrible person who hates human rights.  You can tell from all the videos taken by US tourists of modern cities and well-dressed people, that he is an utter bastard.  All propaganda that you have swallowed, because it has enveloped you since birth.  Look there is a video of some shack in the country with half-starved layabouts, just laying about, see? - proof Kim is a bastard.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 05:01:49 PM »
Eddie: Kim Young Fatty can nuke LA, and my lights won't even blink.

And if I'm alright, bugger the people of LA.  And if he nukes your nuke power station at Bay City, how will the Texan Grid cope?  And all your microprocessor-controlled inverters and switchgear?

Your abuse of Kim Jong Un is so automatic that you probably don't notice it yourself. You call him fat because he is a Communist, even though he is not as fat as Trump.  Enough said, he must be a horrible person who hates human rights.  You can tell from all the videos taken by US tourists of modern cities and well-dressed people, that he is an utter bastard.  All propaganda that you have swallowed, because it has enveloped you since birth.  Look there is a video of some shack in the country with half-starved layabouts, just laying about, see? - proof Kim is a bastard.

I abuse Kim Jon Un because I know it pisses you off, primarily.

But also because nobody else around here holds him in high enough regard to care. I don't cut American politicians any slack. I don't owe him any particular respect either, from my point of view. He's a dictator, whatever else he might or might not be. Here, we make fun of foreign dictators, because we can. Just for fun.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:47:23 PM by Eddie »

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 05:46:30 PM »
Back to topic.

I wrote this and lost it, so this is the Cliffs Notes version.

I picked this installer because I know someone who works there. Turns out they are a local company but are 100% Sunpower. The Texas franchise, entire state. They do Whole Foods and UT. Lots of high end installs. Their panels are engineered differently than any panel I've ever seen. Design improvements according to them. They claim almost zero hail problems in this hail prone area, which is impressive.

100% Micro-inverters. He said they just bought Enphase and would be using Enphase inverters going forward.

Any feedback on Sunpower?

The deal is excellent. But they have to achieve a certain efficiency level to get me the city rebate. That means I can't immediately put panels on the east facing roof. Because it would lower the efficiency of the entire system.

I'd have to do 43 panels on the south and west faces to max them and get the rebate. That's a 13.8 Kw system and it should cut my grid bill by about half, according to their estimate, and he says they hit it pretty close. I still get the federal tax credit too. That's much more of a subsidy (30%).

I can also get a federal tax credit on adding the additional lower output east-facing panels, which I can add as soon as I collect the rebate on the first install. I haven't yet seen numbers on how much that would add to the output.

They have stellar financing (2.9% for 12 years), so I can buy the 13.8Kw system with the same dollars I'm using to buy power. That seems like a no brainer. I'll max the east roof too, I think. I want to see how much it adds to the bill.

Stellar warranty from Sunpower, which also warrants the install (roof leaks included). They use Invisimount racking. 25 year warranty  on everything, 92% efficiency guaranteed in 25 years.

And once again, the federal tax credit is going away. Not for a couple of years I think, but with the cost of borrowing almost guaranteed to go up too, it looks like a good time to make this happen.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:51:10 PM by Eddie »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 05:47:31 PM »

What proof do you have that he is not? Even allowing for the absolute certainty that most everything we know about Kim is propaganda and FSoA spin, enough reports have emerged from other media to suggest that he is not a friend of the workers in the Worker's Paradise. According to a South Korean think tank, North Korea's Supreme Leader has executed more than 340 people since taking power in 2011.

Count yourself fortunate that you are not a blood relative. Kim is believed to have ordered the death of his half-brother Kim Jong Nam on Feb. 13, ostensibly because he was perceived as a threat. Remember the blurred video from Thailand of female agents rubbing chemical nerve agents on the man's face?  Remember Kim's Uncle and half-brother?  Kim Jong Un reportedly had them both killed in an airport assassination after learning about a Chinese-backed plan to have him ousted, per a Japanese magazine.

Remember the five senior State Security officials executed by anti-aircraft for 'false' reports in 2017? They went out with a bang. Most executions were carried out as Kim consolidated power, but others were personal vendettas. Here are some of the executions Kim has ordered, according to various news sources: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/02/10/north-korea-executions/80173970/

Most leaders want their own leadership team, in business as well as government. But advisers, friends and rallies of the Kimster have been terminated with the extremest forms of prejudice. Doncha think?

But you just shine on, you crazy diamond, carrying water for the Hermit Kingdom.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 06:15:23 PM »
Back to topic.

I wrote this and lost it, so this is the Cliffs Notes version.

I picked this installer because I know someone who works there. Turns out they are a local company but are 100% Sunpower. The Texas franchise, entire state. They do Whole Foods and UT. Lots of high end installs. Their panels are engineered differently than any panel I've ever seen. Design improvements according to them. They claim almost zero hail problems in this hail prone area, which is impressive.

100% Micro-inverters. He said they just bought Enphase and would be using Enphase inverters going forward.

Any feedback on Sunpower?

The deal is excellent. But they have to achieve a certain efficiency level to get me the city rebate. That means I can't immediately put panels on the east facing roof. Because it would lower the efficiency of the entire system.

I'd have to do 43 panels on the south and west faces to max them and get the rebate. That's a 13.8 Kw system and it should cut my grid bill by about half, according to their estimate, and he says they hit it pretty close. I still get the federal tax credit too. That's much more of a subsidy (30%).

I can also get a federal tax credit on adding the additional lower output east-facing panels, which I can add as soon as I collect the rebate on the first install. I haven't yet seen numbers on how much that would add to the output.

They have stellar financing (2.9% for 12 years), so I can buy the 13.8Kw system with the same dollars I'm using to buy power. That seems like a no brainer. I'll max the east roof too, I think. I want to see how much it adds to the bill.

Stellar warranty from Sunpower, which also warrants the install (roof leaks included). They use Invisimount racking. 25 year warranty  on everything, 92% efficiency guaranteed in 25 years.

And once again, the federal tax credit is going away. Not for a couple of years I think, but with the cost of borrowing almost guaranteed to go up too, it looks like a good time to make this happen.
sounds good. Do a websearch on the reviews of the enphase model they are selecting. They had some duds. I'll admit I'm biased as I had to replace 23 of them out of 40 on a nice old ladies roof this spring. That was 3 years ago though I'm sure they are back on their game now. Split roof partial shade micros are the way to go...

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »

What proof do you have that he is not? Even allowing for the absolute certainty that most everything we know about Kim is propaganda and FSoA spin, enough reports have emerged from other media to suggest that he is not a friend of the workers in the Worker's Paradise. According to a South Korean think tank, North Korea's Supreme Leader has executed more than 340 people since taking power in 2011.

Count yourself fortunate that you are not a blood relative. Kim is believed to have ordered the death of his half-brother Kim Jong Nam on Feb. 13, ostensibly because he was perceived as a threat. Remember the blurred video from Thailand of female agents rubbing chemical nerve agents on the man's face?  Remember Kim's Uncle and half-brother?  Kim Jong Un reportedly had them both killed in an airport assassination after learning about a Chinese-backed plan to have him ousted, per a Japanese magazine.

Remember the five senior State Security officials executed by anti-aircraft for 'false' reports in 2017? They went out with a bang. Most executions were carried out as Kim consolidated power, but others were personal vendettas. Here are some of the executions Kim has ordered, according to various news sources: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/02/10/north-korea-executions/80173970/

Most leaders want their own leadership team, in business as well as government. But advisers, friends and rallies of the Kimster have been terminated with the extremest forms of prejudice. Doncha think?

But you just shine on, you crazy diamond, carrying water for the Hermit Kingdom.

If these were real female agents they would have at least tried a getaway. I'm inclined to believe their defense that they thought it was a reality tv prank they were recruited into. You cant make that up, no not a nice guy.

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »
                                                                                                       A pleasure to finally converse with you. Welcome and Regards, GO

The pleasure is all mine, kind sir. I once had a cisgender handle, with a password  registered to an old inactive email adress and saved on an old device now not working.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:36:53 AM by Agent Graves »