AuthorTopic: Net Zero McMansion  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Net Zero McMansion
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2018, 07:03:42 PM »
Thanks. I get it. Sounds like it might be more expensive to do that, right? Do you think they'll try to charge a lot more to do it that way?

Thank you very much for the info.
you are welcome.
At this stage it does not have to be terribly expensive just extra wire from the roof down, an extra disconnect near the meter and some extra breakers in the main panel where the ac feeds in. Then if you want to do it you pull that small feed out and use it for the ac coupled gear...AC coupling is a work around not ideal bur the best retrofit for net metered systems.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2018, 05:56:40 AM »
The installers are going to do their site visit. I emailed them and told them I wanted 4 feed bundles, each with its own cut-off, coming off the roof, as I calculate their 58 (327W ) panels would put out about 19kW max. I told them I envisioned using the Magnum PAE 4448 in the future to be able to change to a battery system if I wanted that.

Does that sound right?
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2018, 07:55:24 PM »
The installers are going to do their site visit. I emailed them and told them I wanted 4 feed bundles, each with its own cut-off, coming off the roof, as I calculate their 58 (327W ) panels would put out about 19kW max. I told them I envisioned using the Magnum PAE 4448 in the future to be able to change to a battery system if I wanted that.

Does that sound right?
Well its never that easy is it... So, for grid tied arrays they produce to the maximum of the micro inverter nameplate and no more. Probably  the enphase 250? so 58x250= 14500 maximum watts delivered to the grid or to ac couple. The bigger panels allow you to generate at full capacity earlier, later, and during shaded conditions but the micro never goes above 250 watts. So that would be 4 Magnums, 3 Outback radians or 3 Schneiders. Price determines. 4 Linked magnums might run into comms issues and take up a lot of space... I think I would do a load analysis and figure out what you need in a world gone to poop. Build with that in mind. If it was me 2 magnums or 1 radian, straight net meter the rest... So divide the feed into 3 or 2. That way you have lots of redundancy. Plenty of spare micros to canibilize, 9000 watts of inverter strength...Outback is developing something more refined for ac coupling. I'm supposed to dive into it more soon...
http://outbackpower.com/downloads/documents/ac_coupled/app_note_acc_new.pdf
Sort of like ac dump loads to burn off excess ac instead of switching them off by frequency shifting like magnum does... You can get lost in the weeds pretty easily here.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:05:22 PM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2018, 03:41:03 PM »

Does that sound right?
Well its never that easy is it... So, for grid tied arrays they produce to the maximum of the micro inverter nameplate and no more. Probably  the enphase 250? so 58x250= 14500 maximum watts delivered to the grid or to ac couple. The bigger panels allow you to generate at full capacity earlier, later, and during shaded conditions but the micro never goes above 250 watts. So that would be 4 Magnums, 3 Outback radians or 3 Schneiders. Price determines. 4 Linked magnums might run into comms issues and take up a lot of space... I think I would do a load analysis and figure out what you need in a world gone to poop. Build with that in mind. If it was me 2 magnums or 1 radian, straight net meter the rest... So divide the feed into 3 or 2. That way you have lots of redundancy. Plenty of spare micros to canibilize, 9000 watts of inverter strength...Outback is developing something more refined for ac coupling. I'm supposed to dive into it more soon...
Sort of like ac dump loads to burn off excess ac instead of switching them off by frequency shifting like magnum does... You can get lost in the weeds pretty easily here.

O-KAY.....

Sent another email saying that I got better info from a knowledgable friend  and I understood that I might not need as many feeds as I'd said before, and basically I'm open to their suggestions about exactly how...but that I  wanted AC coupling capability. They are doing their site visit Monday.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »

Does that sound right?

O-KAY.....

Sent another email saying that I got better info from a knowledgable friend  and I understood that I might not need as many feeds as I'd said before, and basically I'm open to their suggestions about exactly how...but that I  wanted AC coupling capability. They are doing their site visit Monday.
Looking forward to know what they think... Its an emerging segment in solar. There is still a lot of secret sauce recipes for it.
Cheers