AuthorTopic: 20 Bewildering Facts About The Tibetan Book of The Dead  (Read 252 times)

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
20 Bewildering Facts About The Tibetan Book of The Dead
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:45:15 AM »
Not actually a book but a text from a larger corpus of teachings, the Bardo ThodolóLiberation Through Hearing During the Intermediate Stateó was rediscovered by Karma Lingpa as the Profound Dharma of Self-Liberation through the Intention of the Peaceful and Wrathful Ones.

The text is considered as the most famous work of Nyingma literature and is usually referred to (in the west) as the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

The text is, in fact, a guide and it describes a collection of experiences that the human consciousness goes through after death, and in the Bardo, an intermediate, transitional, or liminal state between death and rebirth.

This article isnít meant to describe this work of literature, but to introduce the reader to the book through fifteen interesting facts that resume the ancient text in an easily digestible way.

https://www.ancient-code.com/20-bewildering-facts-about-the-tibetan-book-of-the-dead/

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 20 Bewildering Facts About The Tibetan Book of The Dead
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:35:29 PM »
Not actually a book but a text from a larger corpus of teachings, the Bardo ThodolóLiberation Through Hearing During the Intermediate Stateó was rediscovered by Karma Lingpa as the Profound Dharma of Self-Liberation through the Intention of the Peaceful and Wrathful Ones.

The text is considered as the most famous work of Nyingma literature and is usually referred to (in the west) as the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

The text is, in fact, a guide and it describes a collection of experiences that the human consciousness goes through after death, and in the Bardo, an intermediate, transitional, or liminal state between death and rebirth.

This article isnít meant to describe this work of literature, but to introduce the reader to the book through fifteen interesting facts that resume the ancient text in an easily digestible way.

https://www.ancient-code.com/20-bewildering-facts-about-the-tibetan-book-of-the-dead/

This is fascinating. Interesting that Padmasambhava concealed the book after writing it because he considered the world was not ready for its teachings. Probably still isn't.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 12:59:13 PM »
Evans-Wentz was an interesting guy. He knew Yogananda. Wrote the preface to his autobiography.

Can you imagine going to Tibet in 1919?
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »
Richard Gere does a good job of reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Got me listening.It's fascinating. Easy way to read it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1MZwriqVvw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E1MZwriqVvw&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 05:15:53 PM »
Richard Gere does a good job of reading the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Got me listening.It's fascinating. Easy way to read it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E1MZwriqVvw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/E1MZwriqVvw&fs=1</a>

Thanks Ed...
U Da' man.
I needed a bedtime story.  :coffee:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »
So, according to the TBOTD, when you die you have several chances to achieve enlightenment and not be reincarnated, and actually being reincarnated is way down the list of desirable outcomes.....hehehe.

Bardos....states of existence after death that start out with the easy way and then if you don't surrender to enlightenment then you gotta do it the harder way, but you can still do it....

And if you just can't figure it out, your not ready.....you get a rebirth. Way down the list for these ancient people, though. They were spending their entire life prepping for death, just to learn the right rituals. Meditating. Getting a guru. And they still could screw it up. Not only could you miss enlightenment, you could get a less-than-excellent rebirth. Come back as an animal.

They were pros...and they had a support group of other adepts to remind their newly dead ass what to do. Do the right thing and go the bright light and not the tempting dimmer seemingly more comfortable lights. Or the human light, lol. AVOID the HUMAN LIGHT.

Compared to these people we have no plan.

We know less than nothing. Makes me glad I did some acid. Maybe I need more psychonaut training (after I retire of course, wink, wink.).

But surrendering sounds good, Don't fight the river, Go with the flow. Allow yourself to see the true nature of WHAT IS.

After listening to the first 45 minutes or so, it occurs to me that if death is final and consciousness ends with death, it doesn't matter how your friends and family celebrate your death. The only remnant of you in that scenario, is in someone else's memory, and that is a pale reflection. Or your art. Art and literature and music are a way of living on, in a way...but how many of us make those things anyway. Maybe you'll get a FaceBook Memorial. LOL.

But if consciousness does persist, (as the TBOTD death teaches) and it's is like a portal and we need to negotiate it, then your dharma brothers (or your chosen family) can do a lot for you.

You can see them, but they can't see you. (At least most of them can't see you.)

They can tell you things and you can hear them, but you can't communicate back. So hopefully they're being supportive.

That seems to be the purpose of the TBOTD. To teach us what to do to help people get through it and end up in a good place.

And you get a sense that your chances to get enlightened occur in pretty short order. You need the coaching staff on duty. It's not a Die Now and Pray Later situation. Grab it in three tries or ride the ride again.

This is definitely a rabbit hole you could fall down, if you let yourself. The TBOTD.

Kinda timely since most of us ain't gettin' any younger, you know what I mean? Nothing is by coincidence.

When the student is ready the youtube video appears.

Offline Agent Graves

• Rookie
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »
If there was a way to find the 20 interesting facts, I couldnt see it in the link?

Long time since i read it, but it made a big impression at the time, like a big piece of the puzzle. But now all I recall is you should avoid the yellow or white light and wait to follow the green light and ghosts explained, I think.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:33:51 PM by Agent Graves »
Junior  Operative, FBI Counter-Doomsdaycult Taskforce

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 05:43:21 AM »
You gotta wonder how they parsed out their belief system about how it all goes down. Not sure any of it is more than ritual, but they thought they had it all down pat ,didn't they? It was important to them.

Now death is just not looked at. Nobody wants to think about it. We have a very unhealthy fear of a very common occurrence that should just be one more rite of passage.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 06:45:18 AM »
And yeah. On the internet we don't have informative articles. We have articles that promise "Ten Things That Will Absolutely Blow Your Mind" or "Twenty Bewildering Facts".

Even when the article gives you NO facts at all, just a few stupid things repeated from something the author probably gleaned from Wiki.

Welcome to 21st Century Journalism. Pretty lame.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 09:55:28 AM »
And yeah. On the internet we don't have informative articles. We have articles that promise "Ten Things That Will Absolutely Blow Your Mind" or "Twenty Bewildering Facts".

Even when the article gives you NO facts at all, just a few stupid things repeated from something the author probably gleaned from Wiki.

Welcome to 21st Century Journalism. Pretty lame.

They call those "listicles." Their purpose is to elecit monetizable clicks.
They are the crotch-fungus of the internet.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2018, 11:56:55 AM »
They call those "listicles." Their purpose is to elecit monetizable clicks.
They are the crotch-fungus of the internet.
Okay, if those are listicles, then what are those things where you answer page after page of questions?  Quizicles?  Testicles?  :icon_mrgreen:
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2018, 12:08:42 PM »
I know a few internet "journalists" I'd to like to kick squarely in THEIR listicles.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 01:46:12 PM »
I know a few internet "journalists" I'd to like to kick squarely in THEIR listicles.

:emthup: :emthup: