AuthorTopic: The Alternet Thread  (Read 1858 times)

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
The Alternet Thread
« on: July 12, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »
Another newsletter for your edification and amusement.

AlterNet Newsletter TODAY'S TOP STORIES - July 12, 2018

Learn more about RevenueStripe...

Here's Why Trump Tries So Hard to Be on Putin's Good Side

By Neil Baron, Salon

It has nothing to do with politics. READ MORE»

Here's How Shady Russian Cash Flowed Through Trump's Toronto Hotel — And Ultimately Back to the President Himself: Report

By Brad Reed, Raw Story

A bombshell report by the Financial Times reveals how Trump's business partner may have facilitated the transactions. READ MORE»

Will Kavanaugh Make Trump a Monarch?

By Joe Conason, Creators Syndicate

If senators oppose the president's authoritarian ambitions, then they must reject his latest nominee. READ MORE»

Stormy Daniels Arrested at an Ohio Strip Club — Michael Avenatti Calls It a Set Up

By Elizabeth Preza, AlterNet

The adult film star was charged under a law that requires strip club dancers to maintain distance from patrons. READ MORE»

American Democracy is In Peril — But Don't Blame the Bots

By Steven Rosenfeld, Independent Media Institute

The absence of meaningful checks and balances is a defining feature of our political time. READ MORE»

Hightower: We're Becoming Trapped Inside Trump's Deranged Reality

By Jim Hightower, Creators Syndicate

The autocratic property owner is making us forget how bonkers this country has actually become. READ MORE»

'I Just Think the Russians Have the Goods on This Guy': Retired Lt. Colonel Says Blackmail Explains Trump's Fondness for Putin

By Cody Fenwick, AlterNet

The president efforts to undermine NATO only serve to bolster Russia. READ MORE»

'Fat Mexican B*tches': Racist White Women Attack Colorado Neighbors and Defy Police Order to Go Home

By Brad Reed, Raw Story

One officer had to threaten the women with jail to stop the attacks. READ MORE»

'This Is What the News Is Like in Hell': MSNBC's Rachel Maddow Is Dumbfounded By Trump Official Playing the 'Real Victim'

The administration is completely botching its response to a self-imposed crisis, but top officials apparently want sympathy. READ MORE»

For All His Bluster, Trump is Powerless Against NATO Allies — Here's Why

By Vijay Prashad, Independent Media Institute

Trump will gradually disappear from the stage. But other names will remain intact: Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon... READ MORE»

'Unbelievably Unqualified': Democratic Senator Warns Trump-Appointed DOJ Lawyer Tied to a Russian Bank Might Interfere in Mueller's Probe

"He will have visibility into the Mueller investigation." READ MORE»

'Never Before in History': Fox News' Shep Smith Assails Trump for 'Unprecedented' Attacks on NATO Allies

"The president could turn back the global clock centuries." READ MORE»

Losing Friends and Burning Bridges: Here Are 5 Longtime US Allies President Trump Has Alienated, Insulted or Offended

By Alex Henderson, AlterNet

And the list just keeps on growing. READ MORE»

Obama Leaves Trump in the Dust in Public's Ranking of the Best Presidents

"When asked which president has done the best job in their lifetimes, more Americans name Barack Obama than any other president." READ MORE»

Papa John's Founder Resigns from Board After Using the N-Word on Company Call

It's not the first time John Schnatter has found himself eliciting outrage. READ MORE»

This GOP Lawmaker Spent Millions on a Luxury Yacht Just as He Was Voting for the Massive Republican Tax Cut

Maybe he thought nobody would notice. READ MORE»

'HOW DARE YOU': Sarah Palin Goes on Unhinged Rant After Getting 'Duped' by Comedian Sacha Baron Cohen

By Chris Sosa, AlterNet

She was led to believe the dubious interview was for a "legit Showtime historical documentary." READ MORE»

White House Blames 'Pastries and Cheese' for John Kelly's Pained Expression at Summit — Not Trump's Galling Attacks on Allies

It's not even clear the statement was supposed to be taken seriously. READ MORE»

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Alternet Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 05:45:24 PM »

AlterNet Newsletter

TODAY'S TOP STORIES - July 18, 2018

‘Trump Is No Longer Our Leader’: Republican Texas State Lawmaker Calls for Impeachment After Putin Meeting

TribTalk

"Our president has mocked and belittled our immigration laws, our intelligence agencies, our foreign policy strategy and even the American people." READ MORE»

Strongman Politics: Obama Is Right to Be Concerned About the Rise of Authoritarians in Democracies Around the World

“I am not being alarmist,” Obama said Monday. “I’m simply stating the facts. Look around: strongman politics are ascendant.” READ MORE»

Debtor Republicans: With President Trump, the GOP Is Once Again the Party of Massive Federal Deficits

If Trump’s border wall comes about it will be paid for on the backs of the U.S.’ middle class — whether they like it or not. READ MORE»

These 4 Homeland Security Advisors Just Quit Because of Trump's 'Morally Repugnant' Family Separation Policy

By Gabe Ortiz, Daily Kos

The administration’s barbaric “zero tolerance” policy has resulted in as many as 3,000 migrant children being kidnapped from parents. READ MORE»

NRA’s Alleged Russian Spy ‘Offered Sex’ for Job with ‘Special Interest' Organization: US Attorney Court Filing

By Brad Reed, Raw Story

She has worked for years to forge ties between Russia and the National Rifle Association. READ MORE»

Fox News' Shep Smith Delivers Brutal Fact-Check of Sarah Sanders' Lie-Filled Presser: 'Say One Thing, Change It Later'

By Chris Sosa, AlterNet

The unimpressed host set the record straight as the press secretary left the podium. READ MORE»

Here Are 16 New Tips for Shaming and Harassing Trump's Goon Squad – Relatives, Friends, Trolls – Anywhere You Can, While You Still Can

By Jeremy Sherman, AlterNet

Trump's remaining supporters aren't just living in a bubble. They’re a rolling fortress encircled by trump-card landmines, crushing and detonating everything in their way. READ MORE»

Here's How Trump Is About to Send World Oil Prices Soaring Even Higher

By Vijay Prashad, Independent Media Institute

America’s bullheaded president is about to cause a lot of economic pain. READ MORE»

Mark Zuckerberg Defends Holocaust Deniers During Discussion About Allowing Fake News on Facebook

By Chris Sosa, AlterNet

The platform remains the subject of congressional hearings for its propagation of false information and propaganda. READ MORE»

Reporters Hammer Sarah Sanders on Trump's Contradictions and Backtracking as She Loses Control of Briefing

The White House press secretary had a lot to paper over as she took to the lectern Wednesday. READ MORE»

Former White House Stenographer Says Trump Is 'Lying to the American People': His Real Adversary Is 'the Truth'

By Chris Sosa, AlterNet

The president's feelings about the stenographers became quickly apparent after his inauguration. READ MORE»

This Alabama College Student Walked 20 Miles to His Job — So His Boss Gifted Him A New Car

By Chris Sosa, AlterNet

The college student made the trek after not being able to find a ride. READ MORE»

The States Attacking Obamacare Pre-Existing Condition Protections Would Be Most Harmed by Their Repeal

By Joan McCarter, Daily Kos

These efforts will disproportionately hurt the people of the states that are now suing to strike down the law's protection READ MORE»

Health Insurers Are Vacuuming Up Details About You — And It Could Raise Your Rates

By Marshall Allen, ProPublica

Without any public scrutiny, insurers and data brokers are predicting your health costs based on data about things like race, marital status, how much TV you watch, whether you pay your bills on time or even buy plus-size clothing. READ MORE»

Americans Distrusted US Democracy Long Before Trump’s Russia Problem

The Conversation

Russian meddling has shaken Americans' faith in democracy. But public discontent after a scandal is hardly new. READ MORE»

'A Big Mistake': Ex-NATO Commander Slams Trump and Fox News for Questioning US Commitment to Alliance

By Travis Gettys, Raw Story

The president said the "aggressive people" of Montenegro, NATO's newest member, may spark World War III. READ MORE»

Joe Lieberman Attacks Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Calls for Her Defeated Primary Opponent to Run Against Her

The former Democratic vice presidential candidate called on Joe Crowley to run. READ MORE»

Donald Trump is Taking America Back to 1798 — When John Adams Colluded With an Enemy Power

By Jeff Biggers, Salon

“His Highness” John Adams attacked the press, tried to deport his enemies and colluded with a foreign power. Hmm READ MORE»

'Collusion with Russia Is Hiding in Plain Sight': Conservative Writer George Will Denounces Trump's 'Play Date' with Putin

Will left the Republican Party because of its embrace of Trump. READ MORE»

Here's the Perfect Plan to Troll Trump's Ridiculous Military Parade

By Medea Benjamin , Independent Media Institute

The UK protests should be an inspiration to Americans resisting Trump. READ MORE»

The IRS Just Made It Easier for Powerful Political Nonprofits to Conceal Who Donates to Them

By Matthew Rozsa, Salon

IRS drops “dark money” rule, will no longer require disclosure of donors to political nonprofits READ MORE»

In New York, Intolerance Has Become Routine

By Rahima Nasa, ProPublica

A Human Rights Commission report says almost 40 percent of Muslim, Jewish and Sikh residents of the city surveyed had experienced some kind of harassment. READ MORE»

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »
I was reading the article about the tortilla and beans Republican from Dallas who wants to impeach Trump. Probably not a good political move on his part, but just goes to show the kind of weirdness we got goin' on here in the Lone Star State. He knew as a child that Ronald Reagan was a Good Man (can I hear a hallelujah?).

But I wanted to say that site seemed to make my computer freeze and I had to do a hard reboot. Just reporting.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 02:01:11 AM »
I was reading the article about the tortilla and beans Republican from Dallas who wants to impeach Trump. Probably not a good political move on his part, but just goes to show the kind of weirdness we got goin' on here in the Lone Star State. He knew as a child that Ronald Reagan was a Good Man (can I hear a hallelujah?).

But I wanted to say that site seemed to make my computer freeze and I had to do a hard reboot. Just reporting.

Altenet seems to do strange things with code, or at least thing s above my pay grade.

Let me know if you start getting correspondence from Nigerian princes.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »

TODAY'S TOP STORIES - July 19, 2018

Reeling From Trump Trauma? Here's How to Train Your Brain to Feel Better With These 4 Techniques

The Conversation

The relentless news cycle has many people feeling overwhelmed and stressed, wondering how to calm their lives and stay healthy. Here are some tips from neuroscience that may help. READ MORE»

The Vile Reason Why Republicans Will Keep Covering for Trump's Unending — And Perilous — Scandals

By Amanda Marcotte, Salon

Republicans will shield Trump forever, if that’s the only way to keep packing the courts with right-wing judges READ MORE»

Here's the Dark Plan a Bigoted Trump Ally Is Pushing to Change the Meaning of American Citizenship

Michael Anton is pushing an idea that would make life harder for immigrants' children. READ MORE»

Ex-DOJ Official Exposes Truth Behind Bombshell Report Trump Saw Proof of Russian Meddling: US Intel Fears He's A Double Agent

By Travis Gettys, Raw Story

What was the driving force behind a leak to the New York Times regarding Trump's knowledge of Putin's role in election interference? READ MORE»

Here's How Right-Wing Christians' National Prayer Breakfast is Connected to the Recent Indictment of An Alleged Russian Spy

By Sarah Burris, Raw Story

Alleged Russian spy Maria Butina was spotted on a C-SPAN video feed of the National Prayer Breakfast, but an expert in right-wing fundamentalism isn't shocked. READ MORE»

CNN's Anderson Cooper Cracks Up His Show's Staff as He Mocks Trump's Ridiculous Doublespeak

The White House press briefing has turned into a circus. READ MORE»

Here's Why American Politics Needs Hope — But No Longer Inspires It

By Titus Stahl, Aeon

Is political hope really a good thing? READ MORE»

The Indictment of a Russian Femme Fatale Spells Trouble for 'Putin's Favorite Congressman' Dana Rohrbacher

By Clarrie Feinstein, Salon

Will the indictment of a Russian femme fatale bring down a famously pro-Putin Republican congressman? READ MORE»

The AI Revolution Will Be Led By Toasters, Not Droids

By Sally Davies, Aeon

Developers who train machine-learning algorithms have found that it often makes sense to build toasters rather than wonder-boxes. READ MORE»

What Makes the NXIVM 'Sex Cult' So Awful? An Ayn Rand Fan Exploiting Women’s Need for Sisterhood

By Gwenda Bond, Salon

An examination of the role “Atlas Shrugged” played in NXIVM’s philosophy. READ MORE»

Ozone Pollution in US National Parks Is Nearly the Same as in Large Cities

The Conversation

Most Americans associate U.S. national parks with pristine environments that represent the very best of nature. READ MORE»

Trump Regret Syndrome Is Spreading Among Republicans — But Will They Come Crawling Back?

By Jared Yates Sexton, Salon

“There is some sh*t I will not eat. I’m done apologizing for Donald J. Trump. Done.” READ MORE»

Fox News' Shep Smith Delivers Brutal Fact-Check of Sarah Sanders' Lie-Filled Presser: 'Say One Thing, Change It Later'

By Chris Sosa, AlterNet

The unimpressed host set the record straight as the press secretary left the podium. READ MORE»

Here Are 16 New Tips for Shaming and Harassing Trump's Goon Squad – Relatives, Friends, Trolls – Anywhere You Can, While You Still Can

By Jeremy Sherman, AlterNet

Trump's remaining supporters aren't just living in a bubble. They’re a rolling fortress encircled by trump-card landmines, crushing and detonating everything in their way. READ MORE»

‘Trump Is No Longer Our Leader’: Republican Texas State Lawmaker Calls for Impeachment After Putin Meeting

TribTalk

"Our president has mocked and belittled our immigration laws, our intelligence agencies, our foreign policy strategy and even the American people." READ MORE»

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 11:30:35 AM »
I like this model, compact & gets good mileage  :icon_sunny:

Hey, while I gotcha' here, What's all this hub-bub about JFK jr. being alive & he is the Q Phenom.  :icon_scratch:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 12:16:52 PM »
News to me.

I read a pretty good story that pretty much explained his crash. He made a typical rookie pilot mistake and it cost him his life. That's the likeliest explanation. I know there are conspiracy theories out there.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 12:26:03 PM »
News to me.

I read a pretty good story that pretty much explained his crash. He made a typical rookie pilot mistake and it cost him his life. That's the likeliest explanation. I know there are conspiracy theories out there.

It just popped up like 2 days ago. "The latest rabbit hole" evidently .
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 02:04:59 PM »
News to me.

It just popped up like 2 days ago. "The latest rabbit hole" evidently .

Check this out.....

A U tuber is claiming that the narrator of this Q phenom vid is non-other than JFK Jr. in the flesh  :coffee:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vw9N96E-aQ&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3vw9N96E-aQ&fs=1</a>

the cats channel is.... the mile high podcast.
His latest discussion revolves around Q posts from April that involve JFK Jr.

Just when you think it can't possibly get any weirder than it already is.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
The whole vid is great but at the 2:00 min mark is WOW time. Dad gets asked the big question....

Look Here, Look There was a Q Post in april.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S6SCkylrQMs&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S6SCkylrQMs&fs=1</a>

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 04:27:47 PM »
If Jr. is alive, he has got to write a book IMMEDIATELY...

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »
If Jr. is alive, he has got to write a book IMMEDIATELY...

He lived at sea & raised his kids

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NkufG1i3Uk8&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NkufG1i3Uk8&fs=1</a>

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 01:27:47 PM »

TODAY'S TOP STORIES - July 23, 2018

Here Are 5 of President Trump’s Most Outspoken Right-Wing Critics Following the Putin Summit in Helsinki

Some right-wingers are refusing to fall in line and give Trump their unconditional support. READ MORE»

Forget Mussolini: Trump's Most Apt Historical Parallel Is This English Monarch Who Secretly Colluded with a Foreign Enemy

By Frank Palmeri, History News Network

If the country is lucky, our constitution can be reestablished without bloodshed. READ MORE»

Sarah Sanders: Trump 'Exploring Mechanisms' to Remove Security Clearances for Brennan, Clapper, Comey, McCabe and Rice

Donald Trump met with Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) about revoking former CIA director John Brennan's security clearance. READ MORE»

Corporate Democrats Have Begun Planning a 'Counterrevolution' to Progressive Base

By Jake Johnson, Common Dreams

Democratic insiders are advocating an approach that reaches out to so-called moderate Republicans. READ MORE»

GOP Congressman Launches Misogynistic Attack on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez: 'This Girl — Or Whatever She Is'

By Chris Sosa, AlterNet

The comments came during a campaign rally and video was published by Huffington Post. READ MORE»

Robert Reich Pens Open Letter Reminding Four GOP Senators They Can Stop Trump: 'Exercise Your Power to Defend' Our Democracy

By Robert Reich, Robert Reich's Blog

"You have not pledged your souls to the Republican Party. You have pledged yourselves to America." READ MORE»

'I Don’t Care': The View's Meghan McCain Exposes Right-Wing Hypocrisy over Trump's Affairs

By Chris Sosa, AlterNet

The conversation began with the leaked tape of Trump discussing a payout. READ MORE»

'Blue Christian' Pastor Condemns 'Sinful Silence' from Evangelical Churches on White Supremacy

By Leslie Salzillo, Daily Kos

“Right now the message of Jesus is being hijacked by extremist Evangelicals." READ MORE»

Why Russian Spies Love American Universities

By Daniel Golden, ProPublica

If the charges against Maria Butina are accurate, she’s only the latest in a long line of Russian agents to infiltrate U.S. universities. READ MORE»

Here Are 3 Ways the NRA Could Be Impacted Following Arrest of Alleged Russian Spy

The Conversation

The gun rights organization is now under the microscope. READ MORE»

Watch These Fox News Hosts Realize They Booked the Wrong Democrat — And Panic As She Rips Into Trump

By Gabe Ortiz, Daily Kos

“That didn’t go as planned.” READ MORE»

Duck Boat Builder Requested Safety Waivers: DCReport

By Sarah Okeson, DC Report

The company asked for its safety violations to be called “inconsequential noncompliance." READ MORE»

A Neuroscientist Explains How Trump Supporters Are Easily Hoodwinked Because of This One Psychological Problem

By Bobby Azarian, Raw Story

Those who score low on political knowledge tend to overestimate their expertise even more when greater emphasis is placed on political affiliation. READ MORE»

The Trump Doctrine Is a Suicide Mission

By John Feffer, Tom Dispatch

He is systematically drilling into the very foundations of U.S. power. READ MORE»

Here's Why the Trump Foundation Is Unlikely to Face Criminal Charges — Even If It Broke the Law

The Conversation

The latest lawsuit is a civil action, not a criminal proceeding.  READ MORE»

Ex-DNI Laughs Out Loud While Discussing How Little Dan Coats Knows About Trump's Private Meeting With Putin: 'Very Unusual’

"The White House doesn't have a sense of humor," James Clapper said. READ MORE»

America Is Battling to Define the Meaning of Words Like 'Diversity'

The Conversation

Without shared enthymemes, problem-solving is almost impossible. READ MORE»

The GOP's History of Racism And Why the Party Shouldn’t Be Shocked that Its Voters Are in the Tank for Trump

By Donne Levy, History News Network

As historians know momentous change does not occur overnight. Seeds are planted and cultivated before a flowering takes place. That happened in the Republican Party. READ MORE»

Republicans Use 'Survival of the Fittest' As An Excuse to Gut Welfare Programs — Here's Proof They Have No Idea What It Means

By M.T. Anderson, Salon

"Turns out that nature’s sociopathic assh*les are, in any case, rarely the most fit." READ MORE»

Historian Explains How Trump Embodies 'the Worst Things' in US History — And Why His Supporters Will Soon 'Feel Like Chumps'

By Chauncey DeVega, Salon

"George Wallace is constantly in my mind when I think about Donald Trump." READ MORE»

Exactly How Deep Are the Ties Between Russia And Trump's Republican Party?

By Sher Watts Spooner, Daily Kos

Top GOP officials know Russia used them to influence the 2016 election. They just don’t care.  READ MORE»

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 01:46:37 PM »
Dunning-Kruger Effect.....people who are too dumb to know how dumb they are. Gotta love that one. Yeah, that's a thing.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »
Dunning-Kruger Effect.....people who are too dumb to know how dumb they are. Gotta love that one. Yeah, that's a thing.

That's right Mom, we're number one!