AuthorTopic: How to 3-D Print an Entire House in a Single Day  (Read 321 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
How to 3-D Print an Entire House in a Single Day
« on: July 15, 2018, 01:44:16 PM »
A typical single-family home in the US takes an average of six and a half months to build, according to the Census Bureauís latest survey. Now an Austin-based startup called Icon can erect a house nearly 200 times fasteróin a day.

https://www.wired.com/story/icon-house-3d-printer/
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: How to 3-D Print an Entire House in a Single Day
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
A typical single-family home in the US takes an average of six and a half months to build, according to the Census Bureauís latest survey. Now an Austin-based startup called Icon can erect a house nearly 200 times fasteróin a day.

this is one of those stories that intrigue me. It solves a developed world problem which is lack of labour but by using extreme levels of technology and precise quality controlled materials. Unfortunately it's currently limited in size. Then it talks aboUT exporting it to the developing world which is awash in cheap labour and whose materials are less uniform. I don't think 3d printing can compete in a cinder block or adobe cheap labour environment. I think the tech grows up and either start printing entire wall sections for assembly or is sized up for larger buildings.
Good read...
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »

this is one of those stories that intrigue me. It solves a developed world problem which is lack of labour but by using extreme levels of technology and precise quality controlled materials. Unfortunately it's currently limited in size. Then it talks aboUT exporting it to the developing world which is awash in cheap labour and whose materials are less uniform. I don't think 3d printing can compete in a cinder block or adobe cheap labour environment. I think the tech grows up and either start printing entire wall sections for assembly or is sized up for larger buildings.
Good read...

With the UVC contamination now in place at surface levels the only material to withstand Solar Radiation Damage is clay & silica.

This barbie dream home nonsense is toast. Glad you enjoyed the read.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 05:57:47 AM »
How 3D Printing is Revolutionizing the Housing
By Luken Surge Ė August 11, 2018

The housing industry is like a roller coaster.

The housing crash left houses empty and people homeless. Some neighborhoods are still littered with empty and decaying homes, some having stood empty going on 10 years now.

By this point, a lot of these homes arenít even worth repairing. Since the crash, there has been a lot of conversation, and demand, for more housing options.

And why not? Engineers have discovered cheaper, more eco-friendly and sustainable housing options. Why not use them?

Current homes were built between 40 and 100 years ago. They now show signs of wood rot, weakening foundation, insect infestations, and mold. And without modern insulation and windows, residents shoulder high power and heating costs.

These problems will only get worse as time goes on. But whatís going to replace them?

Will people build more of the same, or start building smarter?
New Era of Housing

If you imagine a ďJetsonsĒ style future, you may be disappointed. Likely most structures will resemble current styles, but with hidden improvements in the materials and design.

When the market demands something new, the industry will eventually abide.

Alternatives to traditional homes are already popping up. And surprisingly, a lot of these options are significantly cheaper than current construction methods. Plus, many of these homes continue to save you money in efficiency in the long term.
How It Works:

3D printing a house works the same way as 3D printing on the smaller scale. Companies use a machine, choose from a range of building materials, program a layout, and then the machine does the work.

The early models of 3D printed homes created domed structures that looked more like cement igloos, and other easy shapes. But this technology is getting more sophisticated fast! Companies are developing more modern and complex models that will appeal to todayís market of home buyers.
What Problems Do 3D Printed Houses Solve?

3D printed homes are affordable

After the housing market crash, there are more people than ever on the search for cheaper housing options. Some models of the 3D printed homes can start as low as $4,000.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wCzS2FZoB-I&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wCzS2FZoB-I&fs=1</a>

https://www.thedailybell.com/all-articles/news-analysis/how-3d-printing-is-revolutionizing-the-housing/

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »

The housing crash left houses empty and people homeless. Some neighborhoods are still littered with empty and decaying homes, some having stood empty going on 10 years now.

By this point, a lot of these homes arenít even worth repairing. Since the crash, there has been a lot of conversation, and demand, for more housing options.

And why not? Engineers have discovered cheaper, more eco-friendly and sustainable housing options. Why not use them?

Current homes were built between 40 and 100 years ago. They now show signs of wood rot, weakening foundation, insect infestations, and mold. And without modern insulation and windows, residents shoulder high power and heating costs.

These problems will only get worse as time goes on. But whatís going to replace them?

This is a really fascinating point of speculation. I know that AG was a big fan of manufactured homes and lives in one in Vermont. Not that is not 3D printed, but his point was that people look down on that sort of option, when in many ways it can be better.

We're going to need more housing options. The fact that houses sit empty while people go without shelter is an indictment of our lack of imagination to solve social problems. ALthough every solution brings its own set of new problems as well.

Some folks have posted here in the past about re-purposing shipping containers. They stack them several stories high all across southeast Virginia. A tribute to the balance of trade.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »

This is a really fascinating point of speculation. I know that AG was a big fan of manufactured homes and lives in one in Vermont. Not that is not 3D printed, but his point was that people look down on that sort of option, when in many ways it can be better.

We're going to need more housing options. The fact that houses sit empty while people go without shelter is an indictment of our lack of imagination to solve social problems. ALthough every solution brings its own set of new problems as well.

Some folks have posted here in the past about re-purposing shipping containers. They stack them several stories high all across southeast Virginia. A tribute to the balance of trade.

We used to call these little critters railroad houses back in the day.

When I was in real estate out here in the Mohave they're are numerous tracts of land dedicated to building these structures.
Lots were 25X50, usually 20 units across.
The miners & RR employees lived & raised families in them.

We need to embrace & reach out to the more agrarian based mind set again. This stack em' & jack em' shit is no bueno  amigo.