AuthorTopic: Save As Many Blueberries As You Can  (Read 827 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Save As Many Blueberries As You Can
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 03:21:30 PM »
I was being a little facetious.

You'd just have to understand how many, many, many times RE has accused me of being "rich", as if having enough money to live well were a bad thing.

Now he's too well-off to get a nursing home, just because he has some savings. I told him to go to 100% cash two years ago and put his savings under the mattress so he could qualify for help if he needed it later. This was my honest advice, which he declined to follow. (He is also constantly giving me shit for not taking HIS advice.)

Not real schadenfreude, because he's a good friend, but I did mention it would look better for bennies if he appeared flat-ass broke at all times. It's the only way to get much of anything here.

Here, the only REALLY good bennies are Medicaid medical insurance, for qualifying kids and pregnant women. That's about all that's left that hasn't been gutted. And most of the people who get it for their kids are lying about their status, in some way. That's not a value judgment. You just have to lie to qualify. You'd be dead before you qualified, if you were honest. So people lie...they claim they have no male breadwinner when they really do. They make money in the black market and work for cash off the books if they can.

It's just a way of life, for some folks here. Adapting to conditions.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 05:36:19 PM »
Social worker took my history for about the 66th time in the last month, gave me a price range to expect if I try some ACL, aka "Assisted Care Living".  $5000/mo, Medicare does not pay.  :o  Not trying that option anytime soon.

My wild-ass guess is that the info you're getting from the social worker isn't quite right. I have a ton of patients who are in long term group homes and I believe it's actually Medicaid that pays. SOMEBODY covers it, because an awful lot of people are getting the care, and the ones I know are not able to self-pay. No way.

Yes, Medicaid will pay, but you have to be eligiie for Medicaid.  I lost my eligibility when I won my Workman's Comp case.  Basically, in order to become eligible again, I have to spend down my entire nest egg first.  That's how your life savings gets wiped out my by the med insurance biz in no time.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 06:01:41 PM »
You don't want to go there anyway. I don't see it happening. I don't think it will happen.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.