AuthorTopic: The Philosophical Argument for Working Less (And Wasting Time)  (Read 164 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Bertrand Russell is a strange name to bring up when we consider the merits of working less.

Though he was a philosopher and mathematician by trade, his prodigious output suggests he was just as much a historian, a social critic, and a political activist.

Today, Russell is most famous for his book A History of Western Philosophy, which is the most important summary of how many of Western cultureís great ideas came to be. When he won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1950, this book was cited as a big reason why.

https://medium.com/@ztrana/the-philosophical-argument-for-working-less-and-wasting-time-71bbbcb7310b
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Philosophical Argument for Working Less (And Wasting Time)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 11:40:44 AM »
Yeah, Bertrand Russell IS a strange name to bring up in this context..

I read that he wrote (on average) 3000 words a day, in longhand, from the time he was a teenager until he was a very old man. This was not someone who personally reveled much in leisure, I can tell you that much.

I can't seem to find anyone who puts a number on his articles and books, but he worked prodigiously. Here's the bibliography, if anybody wants to count them all.

https://users.drew.edu/~jlenz/br-bib-articles.html
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »
Well, if you're gonna' sit around on a stack of free money, may as well be a philosopher.
Sounds like a great gig in the new world to come  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:16:55 PM »
Well, if you're gonna' sit around on a stack of free money, may as well be a philosopher.

Yeah AZ, being an artist would be a great gig to, even a bull shit artist.  ;D :icon_mrgreen:

An Artistís Editing The Bullshit Out Of The Hollywood Harassment Apologies    :laugh:

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »

Yeah AZ, being an artist would be a great gig to, even a bull shit artist.  ;D :icon_mrgreen:

An Artistís Editing The Bullshit Out Of The Hollywood Harassment Apologies    :laugh:

HAH...

Good find Oxie  :icon_sunny: