AuthorTopic: Got Sand?  (Read 318 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Got Sand?
« on: July 19, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »
Not sure if any of you heard the story about the world shortage of sand, and how the new colonial/extraction rip-off is to take sand from the less developed parts of the world to use to replace beach sand in places where it's all been washed away by storms and changing climate?

According to the missus, this was a big story on NPR today. I haven't heard it yet.

But, we're in the middle of a new fight here between some sand miners and the local environmental groups. One of the main tributaries of Lake LBJ is a really, really sandy creek called (no surprise) Sandy Creek. I cross it about five miles before I get to the lake house.

Some company had leased or bought land on the creek and aim to take that gritty stuff off our hands so it doesn't get stuck between our toes....but the folks who live out near there are putting up signs everywhere. I just saw them last weekend, and it's hitting the papers here.

The funny thing is that the lake was first flooded in the mid 1950's and since then the lake has almost filled up with sand from that damn creek. They should drain the lake and let them suck that sand up. Everybody would love for it to be gone. Some people have to pay to get dredging to get to their boat docks.

But that isn't gonna happen. I hate to see them take all the sand. It's a very pretty creek.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Got Sand?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »
Not sure if any of you heard the story about the world shortage of sand, and how the new colonial/extraction rip-off is to take sand from the less developed parts of the world to use to replace beach sand in places where it's all been washed away by storms and changing climate?

According to the missus, this was a big story on NPR today. I haven't heard it yet.

But, we're in the middle of a new fight here between some sand miners and the local environmental groups. One of the main tributaries of Lake LBJ is a really, really sandy creek called (no surprise) Sandy Creek. I cross it about five miles before I get to the lake house.

Some company had leased or bought land on the creek and aim to take that gritty stuff off our hands so it doesn't get stuck between our toes....but the folks who live out near there are putting up signs everywhere. I just saw them last weekend, and it's hitting the papers here.

The funny thing is that the lake was first flooded in the mid 1950's and since then the lake has almost filled up with sand from that damn creek. They should drain the lake and let them suck that sand up. Everybody would love for it to be gone. Some people have to pay to get dredging to get to their boat docks.

But that isn't gonna happen. I hate to see them take all the sand. It's a very pretty creek.

You guys have some really pretty countryside  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
That pic was taken in a wet year. LOL. It's a trickle right now.

But yeah, that's out in Llano county, which is all granite. Ancient worn down mountains, older than the Appalachians. Just hills now. Millions of years of erosion.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 04:14:40 PM »
That pic was taken in a wet year. LOL. It's a trickle right now.

But yeah, that's out in Llano county, which is all granite. Ancient worn down mountains, older than the Appalachians. Just hills now. Millions of years of erosion.
I suppose its just too pricey to extract the sand via dredging instead of quarrying? around here we have exactly 2 types of ground. Granite and sand... glacial till really sort of like the ball bearings of past ice ages.
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 05:17:13 PM »
The story on the sand mining is more complicated than I thought. The whole thing DID have to do with dredging sand from the lake.....but it was the crushing plant that was going to built on a ranch on Sandy Creek. And take some large amount of water to function.

The rich land owner who is willing to allow the plant on his ranch is a big successful home builder, but his rich connected neighbors don't want the trucks and the noise. Sacred rich old money ranch land with sacred creek. If you let one cement plant in, there goes the neighborhood.

It would be nice to get the sand out of the lake.

Great article about it I'll link to because its long. From last month's Texas Monthly.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/sand-choking-lake-lbj-battle-looms-removal/

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 06:17:28 PM »
The story on the sand mining is more complicated than I thought. The whole thing DID have to do with dredging sand from the lake.....but it was the crushing plant that was going to built on a ranch on Sandy Creek. And take some large amount of water to function.

The rich land owner who is willing to allow the plant on his ranch is a big successful home builder, but his rich connected neighbors don't want the trucks and the noise. Sacred rich old money ranch land with sacred creek. If you let one cement plant in, there goes the neighborhood.

It would be nice to get the sand out of the lake.

Great article about it I'll link to because its long. From last month's Texas Monthly.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/sand-choking-lake-lbj-battle-looms-removal/

How's the boiled water clusterfuq doing ?
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »
Called Bartlett's just now. Still on bottled water and soda. No iced tea.

The restaurants here got to start using the water for washing dishes again yesterday, so most of them are back to full menu. Just limited on drinks.