AuthorTopic: Psychology Itself Is Under Scrutiny  (Read 133 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Psychology Itself Is Under Scrutiny
« on: July 23, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
The urge to pull down statues extends well beyond the public squares of nations in turmoil. Lately it has been stirring the air in some corners of science, particularly psychology.

In recent months, researchers and some journalists have strung cables around the necks of at least three monuments of the modern psychological canon:

The famous Stanford Prison Experiment, which found that people playacting as guards quickly exhibited uncharacteristic cruelty.

The landmark marshmallow test,  which found that young children who could delay gratification showed greater educational achievement years later than those who could not.

And the lesser known but influential concept of ego depletion ó the idea that willpower is like a muscle that can be built up but also tires.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/health/psychology-studies-stanford-prison.html
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Psychology Itself Is Under Scrutiny
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:53:16 AM »
The urge to pull down statues extends well beyond the public squares of nations in turmoil. Lately it has been stirring the air in some corners of science, particularly psychology.

In recent months, researchers and some journalists have strung cables around the necks of at least three monuments of the modern psychological canon:

The famous Stanford Prison Experiment, which found that people playacting as guards quickly exhibited uncharacteristic cruelty.

The landmark marshmallow test,  which found that young children who could delay gratification showed greater educational achievement years later than those who could not.

And the lesser known but influential concept of ego depletion ó the idea that willpower is like a muscle that can be built up but also tires.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/16/health/psychology-studies-stanford-prison.html

This is fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting...
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 10:58:42 AM »
 :emthup: :emthup: :emthup:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »

This is fascinating stuff. Thanks for posting...

Sure is, brings up points that would never have even crossed my mind. How complex we all are and the hidden things that motivate us.

Thanks AZ, thought provoking stuff for sure.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 12:32:51 PM »
you guys are worth it.

My tinfoil cup has run dry for now so it's back to 3D amusements.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »
How do you top Trump & Lazarus Kennedy teaming up for the big SHEW-down at the OK corral with the Rothschilds
and all there minions .....