AuthorTopic: Will QAnon Go Down as the Dumbest Story of the Year?  (Read 188 times)

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Will QAnon Go Down as the Dumbest Story of the Year?
« on: November 03, 2018, 07:18:37 AM »
Once again, Matt Taibbi shows himself a worthy heir to HST's mantle:
"Someone is making great sport of this, and whoever it is has a sense of humor, if not a conscience."

Will QAnon Go Down as the Dumbest Story of the Year?
The political quackery doesn’t just create an alternate reality using existing conspiracy theories — it ties them all together

A Make America Great Again rally In Pennsylvania in August 2018.  Rick Loomis/Getty Images

By
Matt Taibbi

Were it a government plot — a dazzling scheme to keep the public stupid — QAnon would be a great achievement in the otherwise relatively undistinguished history of the CIA. Alas, it is not. Like most things these days, if it seems like 4D chess, it’s probably just stupid.

So it is with Q, the anonymous executive-branch staffer who is said to be leaking “breadcrumbs” across the bowels of the Internet, illuminating a vast subterranean effort to expose Donald Trump’s enemies for everything from pedophilia to killing Princess Diana to causing Hurricane Katrina. It’s a thrilling fantasy that takes the rightist paranoia of The Turner Diaries and mixes it with the gore of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Killer and the doomsday religiosity of Heaven’s Gate.

The QAnon legend assigns every terrible thing in history to a blue-state plot. Liberals killed JFK Jr. to make way for the Clintons, shot Reagan, murdered Seth Rich, organized lots of kid-buggering operations (Pizzagate was just the tip of the iceberg), pulled off the Las Vegas massacre and allied themselves with an array of villains, from Julian Assange to JonBenet Ramsey’s killer. Into this mass rave of evil comes Donald Trump, a fat Christ sent down from right-winger heaven to clean the temples.

In one version of the story, Q is actually JFK, who faked his own death to join Trump’s secret evil-crushing team. The covert cabal has supposedly arrested Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, John Podesta and the corpse of John McCain, all of whom are said to be wearing ankle bracelets.

Someone is making great sport of this, and whoever it is has a sense of humor, if not a conscience. The goofball graphics of Q’s “drops” make for perfect Internet-age performance art. The “crumbs” are disseminated mainly by meme and tweet, and designed to travel on a spearlike trajectory straight into the brains of the modern media consumer. The secret sauce is the sheer quantity of connections. QAnon doesn’t just borrow from conspiracy theories — it ties all of them together.

It would be hilarious were it less believed. QAnon has already gobbled the front line of not-smart right-wing celebrities, from Roseanne to future president Curt Schilling. Naturally, Trump himself has already taken the step of posing for a photo op with Q movementists, which doesn’t necessarily mean he believes it, but still portends something quite dark.

Q videos at one point cited Trump’s real campaign-trail rhetoric promising to clean out the “failed and corrupt political establishment” as the backdrop for the movement, so QAnon believers may now give him credit for fulfilling real promises, through the secret-but-unrevealed arrests of key conspirators. Because Q says the prez is clandestinely battling a combination of DARPA, Queen Elizabeth II and Draco — reptilian liberals, his failure to deliver on promises ending campaign-finance corruption and taking on Goldman Sachs will be a little less obvious. If you’ve been wondering how election-year political rhetoric could get dumber than 2016’s, Q is a preview.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:39:37 AM by Surly1 »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
The State of the Q-nion
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:50:37 PM »
These guys sat with the QAnon community as they watched Trump deliver his State of the Union address last night. It was quite the ridealong.

Adenochrome? Lifted straight from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Really.. dafuq?

I'd posit this is how you grow useful idiots, except that they grow themselves.

The State of the Q-nion

President Donald Trump delivers his 2019 State of the Union address. (Screenshot / White House)

Believers of the QAnon conspiracy theory were overwhelmingly excited by President Donald Trump’s State of the Union address before Congress last night, interpreting various details of the speech as proof that their wild beliefs are, in fact, grounded in reality.

For the uninitiated, the QAnon conspiracy theory goes like this: President Trump and Special Counsel Robert Mueller are secretly working in concert to upend a global network of satanic pedophiles that includes many prominent political, entertainment, and business leaders. To get information to the public about this secret plan, followers believe that Trump ordered someone with top-access to classified government secrets to call themselves “Q” and post cryptic riddles on an anonymous image board in order to reveal details about the progress of the secret plan by dropping cryptic hints that need to be properly decoded. QAnon followers are currently waiting for mass arrests to take place and for the people that they believe to be pedophiles to be rounded up and tried by military tribunals.

Before the event began, QAnon supporters were bubbling with anxious anticipation, wondering how Trump would use his speech to drop subtle hints that the conspiracy theory is true—something that conspiracy theory debunker Mike Rothschild refers to as “hopium.” Rothschild also pointed out how the pre-hype resembled the QAnon community’s anticipation of last year’s State of the Union event.

But events like the State of the Union tend to have a temporary unifying impact on QAnon followers, and last night’s speech proved to be no exception as activists raced to find creative ways to interpret Trump’s speech so that it somehow validated QAnon. One of the first attempts at claiming a “proof” was inspired by the necktie Trump wore, which hung off-center during his speech.

“17 sailors. Tie tilted 17 degrees. Stopping human trafficking to cut off demoRATS supply of adrenachrome,” a Twitter user wrote. Trump mentioned “17 Sailors” who died in the 2000 U.S.S. Cole bombing when calling attention to the father of a slain sailor he invited to the speech.

“The POTUS tie Curves down and to the right like the tail of a Q you say… There are NO coincidences,” another posted.

One QAnon follower mistook the antique inkstand resting on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s desk to be glasses containing alcohol and speculated whether it was “possible symbolism.” Another simply covered their television with a blanket so they didn’t have to see Pelosi.

A believer calling himself “Santa Claus Of The United States”—really—posted photos that seemed to be meant to convey that he had ridden in President Trump’s motorcade on the way to the Capitol Building to deliver his speech. Others used the State of the Union address to continue peddling their theories that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg is dead. Others thought that Barack Obama’s silence on the speech was proof that he was already detained in Gitmo. When someone gifted Trump a watch after his speech, it caused one user to believe that the master “plan” prophesied in QAnon circles had finally been activated.

One person wrote that Trump’s speech may indicate that he was entering “phase three” of his supposed secret plan: “G.o.d. gold, oil, drugs. With @POTUS speech last night and Q posts regarding we have the gold. We know we’re fighting for the oil with the fluctuating gas prices and he openly said we’re.going after big pharma next. Is this phase 3??”

A Qanon account on Instagram called “PatriotsFightMedia” posted a screenshot of a post on 8chan in which a user claimed that Pelosi shuffling some papers during Trump’s speech was an indication that Trump gave Democrats a fake speech to throw them off. “More surprises to come,” the post reads, “The Dems are screwed!”

One supporter speculated that Trump’s mention of the D-Day invasion in his speech was a coded reference to a Q post.

But perhaps the most impressive stretch we witnessed was a follower attempting to crunch numbers and prove that the president tweeting a link to his State of the Union address was a signal to the QAnon community.

At one point in Trump’s speech, he praised his administration’s support for Israel, which some interpreted as a safeguard designed to prevent him from being assassinated.

“I’m gonna say that bit was just to prevent getting JFK’d,” one QAnon follower wrote on Voat, a social media platform that QAnon believers flocked to after their community was shuttered by Reddit.

A QAnon YouTube channel posted a video celebrating the State of the Union with a slideshow of Trump photos and edited images featuring QAnon insignia.

“This was literally one of the most epic moments in the history of our country,” the narrator of the video said.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Will QAnon Go Down as the Dumbest Story of the Year?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
Since I've been interested in cryptos, I've begun to watch a lot more YouTube videos. I immediately noticed an interesting phenomenon that reminded me so much of this Q-Anon bullshit.

One of the coins I'm interested in is XRP. I was fascinated to find out that there are people who pretend to be insiders who post puzzles and weird graphics which proponents interpret to mean various things....on YouTube...and more especially on Twitter.

.....Like....when something important will happen...some date....or some future expected price (as if insiders even have special insight to that, which they usually don't.)

Castles and bears and signs and symbols......all CLEARLY pure crap posted by somebody wanting attention...or just enjoying being a troll.

But seemingly more serious, many, many very otherwise normal people, spend hours trying to parse out "clues"...as if some important person in the company has nothing better to do than leave a trail of breadcrumbs to tell them when the price of the coin they bought is going to moon.

So...I very much think that this is a social media phenomenon...another pathology of the digital age. If I were a psychologist it'd be something to study.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 02:41:14 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 04:23:04 PM »
Since I've been interested in cryptos, I've begun to watch a lot more YouTube videos. I immediately noticed an interesting phenomenon that reminded me so much of this Q-Anon bullshit.

One of the coins I'm interested in is XRP. I was fascinated to find out that there are people who pretend to be insiders who post puzzles and weird graphics which proponents interpret to mean various things....on YouTube...and more especially on Twitter.

.....Like....when something important will happen...some date....or some future expected price (as if insiders even have special insight to that, which they usually don't.)

Castles and bears and signs and symbols......all CLEARLY pure crap posted by somebody wanting attention...or just enjoying being a troll.

But seemingly more serious, many, many very otherwise normal people, spend hours trying to parse out "clues"...as if some important person in the company has nothing better to do than leave a trail of breadcrumbs to tell them when the price of the coin they bought is going to moon.

So...I very much think that this is a social media phenomenon...another pathology of the digital age. If I were a psychologist it'd be something to study.

Your post puts me in mind of Gresham's law, that monetary principle stating that "bad money drives out good." Bad info also.

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 06:09:38 PM »
Here is a guy who is actually a very smart guy with a background in tech. I watch him only occasionally, because he's completely into this bullshit.

He also sometimes has decent content that involves lots of real research. But in this particular video he is "interpreting" some cryptic tweet from an anonymous source known only as BearableGuy123.

Well, obviously people who put content on YouTube are financially motivated, and this conspiracy shit is really popular.

I offer this as proof of what I'm talking about. I am totally convinced this stuff is ABSOLUTE bullshit...and any rational person should be able to understand that....but....

FIFTY THOUSAND VIEWS.

Pathological.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0MISip9fy9k&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0MISip9fy9k&fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:23:31 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 02:20:21 AM »
Here is a guy who is actually a very smart guy with a background in tech. I watch him only occasionally, because he's completely into this bullshit.

He also sometimes has decent content that involves lots of real research. But in this particular video he is "interpreting" some cryptic tweet from an anonymous source know only as BearableGuy123.

Well, obviously people who put content on YouTube are financially motivated, and this conspiracy shit is really popular.

I offer this as proof of what I'm talking about. I am totally convinced this stuff is ABSOLUTE bullshit...and any rational person should be able to understand that....but....

FIFTY THOUSAND VIEWS.

Pathological.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0MISip9fy9k&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0MISip9fy9k&fs=1</a>

I am not surprised you bottom-lined this in a hurry. It's all about the ad revenue. Why do you think that Alex Jones is bleating like a little punk-ass schoolgirl? His shit is in the weeds since Google and FB have buried access to his sewers.

As long as Google financially encourages this nonsense, it will continue.

Another thought-- 50,000 clicks for Random J. Nutcases's videos gives you an idea that there is a substantial fifth column of right wing fantasts out there, waiting to be energized.