AuthorTopic: Who They Are...  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Who They Are...Add Bregman
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2019, 10:44:57 AM »
Did you put the guy's Davos piece up here? If you did re-link it. I think I read it but not sure.

I don't remember. I know I saw it where it was current, but I just don't remember.

Dutch historian Rutger Bregman goes viral after challenging Davos panel to talk about taxing the wealthy
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-31/dutch-historian-rutger-bregman-goes-viral-after-davos-tax-speech/10766504

Where he said, unforgettably:

I mean, 1,500 private jets flown in to hear David Attenborough speak about how we're wrecking the planet.
"I hear people talking the language of participation and justice and equality and transparency.
"But then almost no-one raises the real issue of tax avoidance, right, and of the rich just not paying their fair share.
"It feels like I'm at a firefighters' conference and no-one's allowed to speak about water."

He mad the mistake of telling the truth.

Here is what I believe is the video of his remarks:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/r5LtFnmPruU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/r5LtFnmPruU</a>

Thanks. I will watch.

My Mac died. My whole world is on life support. I need cannabis and coffee stat. I wrote a whole chapter for the book and it's probably gone poof like cryptos.

When the internet goes dark, there are gonna be some grouchy people.

Might not e checking in as much.

Stay calm and carry on.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2019, 11:36:00 AM »
Thanks. I will watch.

My Mac died. My whole world is on life support. I need cannabis and coffee stat. I wrote a whole chapter for the book and it's probably gone poof like cryptos.

Stay calm and carry on.

Always have a Backup Computer at the ready, and always backup your data on an external hard drive.  Especially long shit that you write.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2019, 11:43:49 AM »
Thanks. I will watch.

Stay calm and carry on.

Always have a Backup Computer at the ready, and always backup your data on an external hard drive.  Especially long shit that you write.

RE

Fuck fuck fuck. Sorry.
If the logic board failed, you can restore you computer or just suck your hard drive onto its replacement. All is not lost. I've had more logic board failures than George Washington had horses shot our from underneath him.

Western Digital My Passport 4TB USB-3 Cheap as Shit.  I have a couple.

If I were a happy dentista I'd buy this:

Samsung T3 SSD
Expensive but fast. Maybe worth it for the man whose time is money.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Who They Are...
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »
Watched the video. These fools would do with a good dose of David Korowicz or C-5. The historian Bergman is the most sane(maybe because he is young). TAX the shit out of the wealthy. But even that is not a solution when one of the participants asked a question about growth. None of them understand growth on a finite planet. They will never understand what hit them when the SHTF. C-5 has his latest episode up on his web site. I don't know if I should just shoot my dog right now. :'( Pretty depressing stuff.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
I find myself in agreement with Ann Coulter. Cue the Apocalypse
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2019, 09:49:19 AM »
With God as my witness, I find myself in agreement with Ann Coulter. Cue the Apocalypse.

Jonathan Ernst/Reuters

Conservative provocateur Ann Coulter fired shots at Trump on Friday for saying he’ll sign a bill that would avert another government shutdown and instead declaring a national emergency to build his Mexico border wall. Replying to a tweet that claimed “the goal of a national emergency is to end illegal immigration and cartel smuggling,” Coulter wrote that “no, the goal of a national emergency is for Trump to scam the stupidest people in his base for 2 more years.” In a subsequent tweet, she added that “The goal is to get Trump’s stupidest voters to say ‘HE’S FIGHTING!’ No he’s not. If he signs this bill, it’s over.” A former Trump ally, Coulter has soured on the president in recent months in the midst of the shutdown debates,claiming to The Daily Callerthat the president will “have no legacy whatsoever” without a border wall.

• ‘JOKE PRESIDENCY’

Coulter: Trump Will Have ‘No Legacy Whatsoever’ Without Wall

Ann Coulter@AnnCoulter

No, the goal of a national emergency is for Trump to scam the stupidest people in his base for 2 more years.

Daniel Horowitz@RMConservative

The goal of a national emergency is to end illegal immigration and cartel smuggling. Building 100-200 miles of fencing gradually will not do it. With this new amnesty,they UACs will come anywhere including points of entry and not only get amnesty for themselves but for those here

3,415 people are talking about this
Ann Coulter@AnnCoulter

The goal is to get Trump's stupidest voters to say "HE'S FIGHTING!" No he's not. If he signs this bill, it's over.

Daniel Horowitz@RMConservative

The goal of a national emergency is to end illegal immigration and cartel smuggling. Building 100-200 miles of fencing gradually will not do it. With this new amnesty,they UACs will come anywhere including points of entry and not only get amnesty for themselves but for those here

2,211 people are talking about this
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2019, 09:56:03 AM »
Next you'll be down at the AA hall raising your hand.

What's climbed inside your squirrel cage  :icon_mrgreen:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2019, 10:06:07 AM »
A former Trump ally, Coulter has soured on the president in recent months in the midst of the shutdown debates,claiming to The Daily Callerthat the president will “have no legacy whatsoever”

The Trump Legacy. Se's so worried about what the history books will say about Trump.

I'm more worried about whether there will BE history books at all. If there are, they can put Napoleon III, Kaiser Wilhelm, and Trump on the same page and put a caption that says "The Three Dumbest Motherfuckers to Ever Ascend to High Office"

And Coulter can be on the facing page with Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Steve Bannon. That one can be titled "Rabble Rousers Who Ended the American Empire and Caused WWIII."

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
A former Trump ally, Coulter has soured on the president in recent months in the midst of the shutdown debates,claiming to The Daily Callerthat the president will “have no legacy whatsoever”

The Trump Legacy. Se's so worried about what the history books will say about Trump.

I'm more worried about whether there will BE history books at all. If there are, they can put Napoleon III, Kaiser Wilhelm, and Trump on the same page and put a caption that says "The Three Dumbest Motherfuckers to Ever Ascend to High Office"

And Coulter can be on the facing page with Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and Steve Bannon. That one can be titled "Rabble Rousers Who Ended the American Empire and Caused WWIII."

A pulp fiction classic fo' sho'  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
I Can’t Stop Analyzing Trump’s Friday Rose Garden Speech
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2019, 06:06:46 AM »
You might consider this to be flogging a dead horse, but I found it interesting. Dahlia Lithwick, a keen observer who toils for Slate with a well-sharpened instrument, writes: "But if we could be perfectly honest, a bunch of brilliant scholars standing around discussing the legal implications of what happened Friday at the White House has pretty much the same feeling as a bunch of adults standing around discussing nuclear fission as a small child rolls around in the ball pit at Ikea, except the small child is in charge of the nuclear fission..... A careful review of his remarks illuminates nothing but his hierarchy of moral priorities, a kind of food pyramid of what matters most to this man, a hierarchy of ego-fuel demonstrating just how much of each kind Donald Trump must consume in any 50-minute period. In my re-readings, I have tried to dissect the text of Trump’s remarks Friday into something resembling a moral world order. Here’s my best shot."

I Can’t Stop Analyzing Trump’s Friday Rose Garden Speech

The president took it to a new level when announcing his national emergency.

By

US President Donald Trump speaks about a state of emergency from the Rose Garden of the White House February 15, 2019 in Washington, DC. - President Donald Trump, repeating his claim that 'walls work,' announced that he will declare a national emergency in order to build a barrier on the US-Mexico border without funding from Congress. (Photo by Brendan Smialowski / AFP) (Photo credit should read BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/AFP/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks about a state of emergency from the Rose Garden of the White House February 15, 2019 in Washington, DC.
BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI/Getty Images

There is not a lot to add to the collected writings of the brilliant folks who watched Donald Trump’s Rose Garden ramblings on Friday. As Charles Pierce, Dana MilbankTina Nguyen, Jack Holmes, Bill Maher, and Caitlin MacNeal all expressed, we reach a point when collusion with the fiction that this was a real commander-in-chief giving a serious political speech about a genuine emergency itself becomes improper. This was, even as the standard Trumpian shitshow goes, an extraordinary jaunt into rambling, fact-free, fact-adjacent, fact-inventing mayhem.

We can certainly have a sober conversation about whether this newly-declared emergency at the Southern border matters, or doesn’t matter, or matters a whole lot. But if we could be perfectly honest, a bunch of brilliant scholars standing around discussing the legal implications of what happened Friday at the White House has pretty much the same feeling as a bunch of adults standing around discussing nuclear fission as a small child rolls around in the ball pit at Ikea, except the small child is in charge of the nuclear fission. At some point, it becomes embarrassing to continue to pretend that the leader of the free world exulting in the prospect of executing drug dealers, and asserting that he has secret stats from which he is forming border policy, is making any sense. In fact, the person I pitied most at the end of the 50-minute spacewalk was newly-minted Attorney General William Barr who was forced to sit through it with that face most of us reserve for when our kids split the seams on their tiny leotards during a ballet recital.

It’s honestly gotten to a point where it isn’t even funny to watch Saturday Night Live parody him, it’s just frightening. I have watched and then read the speech seven times, trying to understand it. The only thing the spectacle of an unscripted Donald Trump ranking his cable news faves in lieu of discussing real policy did was afford us was a window into the Trumpian world order. A careful review of his remarks illuminates nothing but his hierarchy of moral priorities, a kind of food pyramid of what matters most to this man, a hierarchy of ego-fuel demonstrating just how much of each kind Donald Trump must consume in any 50-minute period. In my re-readings, I have tried to dissect the text of Trump’s remarks Friday into something resembling a moral world order. Here’s my best shot.

Clearly at the top of that pyramid of priorities lies “me” and “mine” and “I.” The centrality of all things Donald Trump for Donald Trump, never in doubt, was in full flower Friday: He has sorted out all the things with China, and Britain, and North Korea, and everyone respects him now. He controls the financial markets. When it came to Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE, he is to thank for the negotiation: “I said, ‘What a deal.’ It took me like a week.” Also, “when I took over, we had one man that put on more debt than every other president combined,” which he could fix, except that, “first I have to straighten out the military.”

This top category includes the fact that “if you look at Idlib Province in Syria, I stopped the slaughter of perhaps 3 million people. Nobody talks about that.” Also, “Nobody’s done the job that we’ve ever done. I mean, nobody’s done the job that we’ve done on the border. And in a way, what I did by creating such a great economy—and if the opposing party got in, this economy would be down the tubes.” OK!

The president isn’t completely trapped in Piaget’s Stage Two of moral development, he does occasionally think about other people. The next stage of his hierarchy of values is the people who like him. They aren’t quite as important as he is, but they do count. In Friday’s speech that class of people included the “tremendous crowd in El Paso” and Sean Hannity, who “has been a terrific, terrific supporter of what I do.” Also “Rush Limbaugh, I think he’s a great guy. Here’s a guy who could speak for three hours without a phone call… and he’s got an audience that’s fantastic.” This list also includes “Laura’s been great, Laura Ingraham. Tucker Carlson’s been great. I actually have a couple of people on CNN that have been very good. I have someone—MSNBC the other day, they did a great report of me. I was like, ‘Where the hell did that come from?’”

This category surely includes Prime Minister Abe of Japan, who “gave me the most beautiful copy of a letter that he sent to the people who give out a thing called the Nobel Prize. He said, ‘I have nominated you, or, respectfully, on behalf of Japan, I am asking them to give you the Nobel Peace Prize.’ I said, ‘Thank you.’” And this category also includes the “many other people [who] feel that way too,” the people who bitterly resent President Obama’s Nobel prize, and don’t understand why Donald Trump doesn’t get one, too.

The third level of the Trump ego-food pyramid features people who don’t necessarily love Donald Trump, but they do, largely thanks to the toughness and excellence of Donald Trump, respect Donald Trump. In that category we can find China and President Xi, (who “haven’t respected us for a long time” but do now) and North Korea and Chairman Kim (same). As Trump put it: “it was a very tough dialogue at the beginning. Fire and fury. Total annihilation.
‘My button is bigger than yours’ and ‘My button works.’ Remember that? You don’t remember that. And people said, ‘Trump is crazy.’ And you know what it ended up being? A very good relationship. I like him a lot and he likes me a lot.” Again, this is the guy with the nuclear codes.

The fourth level is the Real Country. These are people who Trump does not know personally—for who among us can know the entire country personally—but who either love Donald Trump (category one) or love the people who love Donald Trump (category two). In this instance, it’s clear that “the real country—our real country, the people that really love our country,” support his border plans. This love is also borne out by Polls. “I just had, as you know, Rasmussen, 52 percent in the polls. It’s my highest poll number and people get what we’re doing.” (Most Americans oppose the construction of a border wall.) But that, my friends, is the Real Country.

The fifth level of the hierarchy consists of people who probably love Donald Trump but just haven’t shown it yet. That would be the U.S. Supreme Court.

The next level is people who have disappointed the president. He needs them, they still have certain transactional value, but whoa, did they fail him. This includes, “the people that should have stepped up did not step up” to get him the Wall earlier. And while he won’t actually say Paul Ryan, he does blame “certain people—a particular one—for not having pushed this faster.” It also includes Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, another one who had to sit with the ballet recital face on, as the president said that “the numbers that I have from Homeland Security are a disaster.” And it includes a newly downgraded Ann Coulter. “I don’t know her. I hardly know her. I haven’t spoken to her in way over a year.” Coulter was once in Category 2 because she predicted Trump’s election, but she has been moved down chiefly because, as of now, “she’s off the reservation.”

At bottom, at level seven, are the people who do not like Donald Trump or respect Donald Trump or even love the people who love the people who like Donald Trump. But it’s OK though, because there are very few of them and all of them are liars and con artists. In this category, you find the human traffickers, who “go through areas where you have no wall. Everybody knows that. Nancy knows it. Chuck knows it. They all know it. It’s all a big lie. It’s a big con game.” So drug traffickers, and Nancy, and Chuck. Check. And drug dealers and murderers, and also the whole 9th Circuit. This category also includes chain migration and the lottery and, also Jim Acosta, because “you’re CNN, you’re fake news, you have an agenda.” This category further includes all journalists who don’t talk exclusively about themes from levels one and two.

That’s it. The whole taxonomy, right there. Good luck keeping yourself out of level 6, New Mr. Attorney General, nobody else in the Cabinet has managed it. It’s a sprawling pyramid of self-love—and that’s all it is, every day. But for sure, let’s all go back to pretending that this president is a person who puts America first.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2019, 07:17:19 AM »
Fake National Emergencies don't cut it. The American public must be turning into absolute morons to tolerate this bullshit.

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2019, 10:34:50 AM »
Fake National Emergencies don't cut it. The American public must be turning into absolute morons to tolerate this bullshit.

Green Day

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2019, 11:01:06 AM »

Green Day

Not a bad poet,  that kid, but I really don't like the whole eye shadow look.

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Finally, Here's the Incredible Video of Tucker Carlson Losing His Shit
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2019, 01:53:13 AM »
Here is a clip of Fucker Tiresome's interview with historian guest Rutger Bregman, the economist whose anti-billionaire diatribe at Davos went viral last month. Fucker, Murdoch's white nationalist mouthpiece, couldn't handle the merely challenge and lost his shit.

The video will not embed, so you'd have to follow the link to see/listen to it.

Occasionally, the universe provides: NowThis obtained and published video on Wednesday of the never-aired segment of Tucker Carlson’s Fox News show in which he absolutely loses his shit at historian guest Rutger Bregman.

Bregman, the economist whose anti-billionaire diatribe at Davos went viral last month, had said earlier that the interview was shelved after Carlson, who fancies himself the thinking racist’s conservative, let it fly, calling Bregman a “fucking moron.”

Outstream Video

Video will NOT embed.

00:00
00:00

But watching the footage itself—along with Bregman’s baiting of Carlson—is even better. The real meltdown begins around six minutes in:

Things started cordially enough, with Carlson introducing Bregman as having one of the “great moments” of Davos and laughing uproariously at his rational case that billionaires avoid paying taxes like the plague.

But the interview, which someone recorded playing off a monitor that appears to be in a control room, quickly took a turn after Bregman pointed out Carlson has been a member of the Cato Institute and called him “a millionaire funded by billionaires.” Show me the lie, I say!!!!!

“All the anchors on Fox, they’re all millionaires,” Bregman went on to say. “You’re not part of the solution, Mr. Carlson. You’re part of the problem.”

Carlson tried to argue that because Fox News doesn’t air “where you are,” Bregman must be unaware of how the network sausage is made.

Eventually, Carlson screamed: “I want to say to you, why don’t you go fuck yourself, you tiny-brained....you’re a moron, I tried to give you a hearing, but you were too fucking annoying.”

Absolutely incredible.

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Who They Are...‘I'm dreaming of a white homeland..."
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:16 AM »
‘I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on earth’:
A self-proclaimed white nationalist planned a mass terrorist attack, the government says

Christopher Paul Hasson called for violence to “establish a white homeland” according to court records filed in Maryland on Feb. 19.(Reuters)

AU.S. Coast Guard lieutenant and self-identified white nationalist was arrested after federal investigators uncovered a cache of weapons and ammunition in his Maryland home that authorities say he stockpiled to launch a widespread domestic terrorist attack targeting politicians and journalists.

Christopher Paul Hasson called for “focused violence” to “establish a white homeland” and said, “I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on the earth,” according to court records filed in U.S. District Court in Maryland. Though court documents do not detail a specific planned date for an attack, the government said he had been amassing supplies and weapons since at least 2017, developed a spreadsheet of targets that included House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and searched the Internet using phrases such as “best place in dc to see congress people” and “are supreme court justices protected.”

“The defendant intends to murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country,” the government said in court documents filed this week, arguing that Hasson should stay in jail awaiting trial.

Hasson, 49, of Silver Spring, is expected to appear before a judge for a detention hearing in federal court in Greenbelt at 1 p.m. Thursday.

Hasson was arrested Friday on ­charges of illegally possessing weapons and drugs, but the government said those charges are the “proverbial tip of the iceberg.” Officials with the U.S. attorney’s office in Maryland outlined Hasson’s alleged plans to spark chaos and destruction, describing in court documents a man obsessed with neo-fascist and neo-Nazi views.

“Please send me your violence that I may unleash it onto their heads,” Hasson wrote in a letter that prosecutors said was found in his email drafts. “Guide my hate to make a lasting impression on this world.”

Prosecutors contend that Hasson bought this stash of steroids and narcotics to increase his ability to carry out his alleged plan. (U.S. attorney’s office in Maryland)

A magistrate judge ordered the federal public defender’s office to represent Hasson; that office declined to comment Wednesday.

Hasson has been working at the U.S. Coast Guard headquarters in Washington since 2016, according to court documents filed by prosecutors. He also served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1988 to 1993 and in the Army National Guard for about two years in the mid-1990s, the filings state.

Agents with the FBI field office in Baltimore and the Coast Guard Investigative Service arrested Hasson, FBI Baltimore spokesman Dave Fitz confirmed.

A Coast Guard spokesman, Lt. Cmdr. Scott McBride, said Wednesday that Hasson no longer works at Coast Guard headquarters.

“An active duty Coast Guard member stationed at Coast Guard Headquarters in Washington, D.C., was arrested last week on illegal weapons and drug charges as a result of an ongoing investigation led by Coast Guard Investigation Services, in cooperation with the FBI and the Dept. of Justice,” McBride said in a statement. McBride declined to comment further, citing the open investigation.

Federal investigators say that Hasson created this spreadsheet of people he would target in a terror attack. (U.S. attorney’s office in Maryland)

Court documents do not detail what prompted federal law enforcement to begin investigating Hasson but contend that Hasson had been studying the 1,500-page manifesto of right-wing terrorist Anders Behring Breivik, who unleashed two attacks in 2011 that killed 77 people in Norway, and echoed Breivik’s attack preparations.

[Read the Hasson court filing here]

The manifesto outlined how Breivik planned and prepared his attacks with the aim of providing a road map for others planning similar terrorist operations, the U.S. court filings say.

Breivik took steroids and narcotics, believing it would heighten his abilities to carry out attacks. When law enforcement raided Hasson’s apartment, they said they found a locked container loaded with more than 30 vials of what appeared to be human growth hormone. He has also ordered more than 4,200 pills of the narcotic Tramadol since 2016, along with synthetic urine to allegedly bypass possible random drug screenings at work, they said.

Breivik encouraged identifying targets and traitors. In recent weeks, according to the court filings, Hasson developed a spreadsheet of targets that included top Democratic congressional leaders and media personalities. The list includes “JOEY,” what prosecutors say is a reference to former congressman Joe Scarborough (R-Fla.), now of MSNBC; “cortez,” an alleged reference to freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.); and “Sen blumen jew,” presumably about Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.).

Authorities seized 15 firearms, including several long guns and rifles, and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition from his cramped basement apartment after executing a search warrant this month. Over the past two years, he had made nearly two dozen purchases of firearms or related equipment and made thousands of visits to websites selling weapons or tactical gear.

The filing was first reported Wednesday afternoon by the Program on Extremism at George Washington University.

Authorities said Hasson has harbored extremist views for years.

“The defendant is a domestic terrorist,” the government said in court filings, “bent on committing acts dangerous to human life that are intended to affect governmental conduct.”

In an email drafted in June 2017, he contemplated biological attacks and targeting food supplies, according to the court filings. He considered the merits of a “bombing/sniper campaign.” And he included a “Things to do” list that mentioned purchasing land “out west or possibly NC mtns” for family and researching tactics used during the civil war in Ukraine.

“During unrest target both sides to increase tension,” Hasson wrote in the email, according to the court filings. “In other words provoke gov/police to over react which should help to escalate violence. BLM protests or other left crap would be ideal to incite to violence.”

In another letter drafted months later to an American neo-Nazi leader, cited in the court filing, Hasson called for a “white homeland.” He sent the letter to himself nearly two months after the neo-Nazi rally in Charlottesville, where torch-carrying white supremacists clashed with anti-racist protesters.

“I never saw a reason for mass protest or wearing uniforms marching around provoking people with swastikas etc.,” Hasson said in the letter, according to court filings. “I was and am a man of action you cannot change minds protesting like that. However you can make change with a little focused violence.”

Hasson’s commitment to destruction appeared heightened in recent weeks, according to prosecutors. He created a list of “traitors” and targets on Jan. 19 in an Excel spreadsheet on his work computer, they said, which was created two days after he conducted several Internet inquiries:

8:54 a.m.: “what if trump illegally impeached”

8:57 a.m.: “best place in dc to see congress people”

8:58 a.m.: “where in dc to congress live”

10:39 a.m.: “civil war if trump impeached”

11:26 a.m.: “social democrats usa”

The arrest marks the second time that the service has responded to an incident involving alleged white supremacy in recent months. In September, the Coast Guard reprimanded a service member who flashed what some people identified as a white-supremacy sign in the background of a televised interview with another officer during the response to Hurricane Florence.

“We are aware of the offensive video on twitter — the Coast Guard has identified the member and removed him from the response,” the service said at the time in a tweet. “His actions do not reflect those of the United States Coast Guard.”

That individual was not identified.

Dan Lamothe and Alice Crites contributed to this report.

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Dark Money Org Puts Up Lame Billboard in Times Square, Gets Owned By AOC
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2019, 06:56:50 AM »
this from the same people who brought you Trump, Brexit, and alt-right fauxtrage. I love the fact that the Mercer-funded drooling right can't lay a glove on AOC. The Mercers are like 60+ men trying to play basketball against people in their prime when it comes to social media wars. AOC's got game.

Dark Money Org Puts Up Lame Billboard in Times Square, Gets Owned By AOC

Today, a digital billboard appeared in Times Square directly above Ripley’s Believe It or Not! The sign listed statistics on the number of jobs the city supposedly lost thanks to Amazon pulling out of their deal in Queens. Below the numbers, it read, “Thanks for nothing, AOC!” The billboard also featured the hashtag #SocialismTakesCapitalismCreates.

The billboard, located in New York’s biggest tourist center, was a bizarre move that will likely impact exactly no-one’s opinions on whether the Amazon deal would have been good or bad for New York.

According to the New York Times, the ad was paid for by a Texas group called the Job Creators Network. The conservative billionaire family the Mercers seem to have funded a connected group, the Job Creators Alliance.

Reporter Andrew Perez found that other conservative politicians have ties to the group.

Tweet:

Who's behind the dark money group bashing @AOC in Times Square? Notorious astroturf firm Berman & Co got $2.5M from the org in 2017. Cavalry LLC, founded by Mitch McConnell's former chief of staff, was paid $419K https://apps.irs.gov/pub/epostcard/cor/454848799_201712_990O_2018103015850957.pdf 

4,813 people are talking about this

On Twitter, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez dismissed the sign as “wack” and noted the absurdity of putting a sign supposedly targeting New Yorkers in Times Square.

Few things effectively communicate the power we’ve built in fighting dark money & anti-worker policies like billionaire-funded groups blowing tons of cash on wack billboards (this one is funded by the Mercers).

(PS fact that it’s in Times Sq tells you this isn’t for/by NYers.)

JCN’s website blamed Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez for Amazon’s decision to pull out of New York. The group wrote that the decision was made “once opposition from Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, along with other anti-business politicians, ramped up.”

It’s true that AOC was against Amazon building their new headquarters in Long Island City, which touches her Congressional district. But as the Congresswoman noted on Twitter, the movement to keep Amazon out of Queens encompassed many community organizations and grassroots groups.

The ad, which is supposed to be up for a week, is costing the company a lot of money.

“The billboard went up Wednesday. The contract is scheduled for one week at a cost of about $4,000,” Elaine Parker, a spokeswoman for Job Creators Network, told the Times.

But they’re not done yet! The JNC has now apparently bought two more billboards.

From the Times:

After Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s tweets, the company said it bought space on two more billboards, at Seventh Avenue and 42nd Street. “Hey AOC, Saw your wack tweet,” read one. The other: “This billboard cost about $4,000. But you cost NY 25,000 jobs and $4,000,000,000 in annual lost wages. Ouch.”

These people don’t know how to take a L.