AuthorTopic: Who They Are...  (Read 15781 times)

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Those Who Support Trump Fear Losing Their Privilege
« Reply #210 on: November 29, 2019, 08:55:29 PM »

The first Chinese character seems to be radiating.

THE SECOND COMING
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

So glad you posted this.

Even though Yeats wrote this in the wake of WWI, it remains relevant today. It has been cited here in whole or in part many times over the years.
Your very welcome  :icon_sunny:. Actually, I knew only the phrase "the centre cannot hold", which seemed to appropriate this thread. When I did a web search I was astonished how much the rest fit in, especially the sun imagery but in an ob-verse way. Glad to know others found it appropriate to post here but not surprised.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:00:08 PM by moniker »

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #211 on: November 29, 2019, 09:53:42 PM »

The first Chinese character seems to be radiating.

THE SECOND COMING
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

So glad you posted this.

Even though Yeats wrote this in the wake of WWI, it remains relevant today. It has been cited here in whole or in part many times over the years.
Your very welcome  :icon_sunny:. Actually, I knew only the phrase "the centre cannot hold", which seemed to appropriate this thread. When I did a web search I was astonished how much the rest fit in, especially the sun imagery but in an ob-verse way. Glad to know others found it appropriate to post here but not surprised.

You are a certified doomer.  I have posted this at least a dozen times over the years.  'the centre cannot hold' attracts us like moths to flame.

Most recently the:  shape with lion body and the head of a man, A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun, Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

can only mean Trump.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2019, 10:20:12 AM »
You are a certified doomer.  I have posted this at least a dozen times over the years.  'the centre cannot hold' attracts us like moths to flame.

Most recently the:  shape with lion body and the head of a man, A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun, Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

can only mean Trump.
Yea!

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
The Illinois Holocaust Denier Who Ran for Congress in 2018 Is Doing It Again
« Reply #213 on: December 03, 2019, 06:44:33 PM »
The Illinois Holocaust Denier Who Ran for Congress in 2018 Is Doing It Again
Arthur Jones got 26% of the vote when he ran two years ago.

By Tess Owen
Dec 3 2019

The Chicago-area Holocaust denier who got 26% of the vote when he ran for Congress two years ago wants to give it another shot.

Arthur Jones, 71, filed paperwork Monday declaring his candidacy for the 3rd House District Republican primary in Illinois. Jones, who believes the Holocaust was an “international extortion racket” and has been affiliated with various Nazi organizations throughout his career, was the only Republican on the ballot in 2018 — and 56,350 people voted for him, despite his views being widely publicized before the election.

His “America First” campaign peddled bizarre anti-immigrant conspiracy theories, for example, that the Mexican government was orchestrating a covert takeover of southern U.S. as part of a plot to establish a new homeland called “Aztlan.” Other campaign issues included making English an official language and banning poor people, specifically people receiving public assistance, from owning guns.

Jones was one of a handful of openly white nationalist or anti-Semitic candidates who ran for federal office in 2018, which experts saw as further evidence of a newly-emboldened far-right movement that had emerginged from the shadows.

Those far-right extremists ran as Republicans, which put the GOP in an awkward position. The Illinois GOP disavowed Jones’ campaign — but failed to come up with a suitable candidate to run against himJones in the primary.

This year, things will be different. Jones is up against not one but two Republicans in the March primary. Jones’ candidacy — and the fact he was able to participate in the general election — got a lot of attention in 2018, but his run was by no means his first foray into politics. He’s run for office in Illinois nearly every election cycle since 1984, and each time until 2018, tried and failed to compete with at least one other Republican in the primary.

In primaries where Jones ran against other Republicans, he was able to take home anywhere between 2% and 33% of the vote, depending on the number of opponents he was facing.

Jones won’t be the only extremist on the ballot next year. Enrique Tarrio, the leader of the Proud Boys, a far-right street-fighting gang, is running as a Republican in Florida’s 27th Congressional District.

And the GOP finds itself with still more unconventional candidates, with several supporting the bizarre, pro-Trump conspiracy theory known as QAnon on upcoming ballots. Four GOP candidates running for Congress in Minnesota, Florida, California and Texas have shared QAnon messaging online.
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Barr Says Those Who Don’t Show More Respect To Cops May Not Get Protection
« Reply #214 on: December 04, 2019, 03:57:40 AM »
Another day, another nazi. Black people are insufficiently grateful for the opportunity to provide target practice to racist cops. But Barr's remarks are going over just fine with the owners.

William Barr Says Those Who Don’t Show More Respect To Cops May Not Get Police Protection

William Barr Says Those Who Don’t Show More Respect To Cops May Not Get Police Protection

U.S. Attorney General William Barr said Tuesday that if some communities don’t begin showing more respect to law enforcement, then they could potentially not be protected by police officers.

The country’s top cop made the questionable remarks while giving a speech at the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service in Policing

“But I think today, American people have to focus on something else, which is the sacrifice and the service that is given by our law enforcement officers,” Barr said. “And they have to start showing, more than they do, the respect and support that law enforcement deserves ― and if communities don’t give that support and respect, they might find themselves without the police protection they need.”

The Justice Department did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for clarification on who specifically Barr was referring to when he mentioned “communities” and what he meant by people finding themselves without police protection.

But American Bridge, a liberal super PAC that first flagged the comments, said the attorney general was referring to communities of color that have historically had a contentious relationship with law enforcement due to police brutality, mass incarceration and racial profiling.

“The Attorney General isn’t being subtle and that shouldn’t surprise us considering this administration’s record,” American Bridge spokesperson Jeb Fain told HuffPost in a statement. “When it comes to communities of color, he sees justice and equal protection under the law as subject to conditions. 

“Barr’s words are as revealing as they are disturbing ― flagrantly dismissive of the rights of Americans of color, disrespectful to countless law enforcement officers who work hard to serve their communities, and full of a continuing disregard for the rule of law.”

The attorney general has proved before that he does not support the more humane criminal justice reform that’s coming to states, counties and local jurisdictions across the country. Since taking over as attorney general in February, Barr has maintained the “tough on crime” approach that President Donald Trump has adopted.

In August, Barr told the Fraternal Order of Police ― the country’s largest police organization ― that there should be “zero tolerance for resisting police.” The attorney general gave an emotionally charged speech going after local prosecutors he accused of making police officers’ jobs more difficult because of their more progressive approaches to criminal cases.

"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it."

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Rand Paul, Hypocrisy, and "Libertarianism™"
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2019, 03:41:05 AM »
Hypocrisy is just part of the skill-set. Speaking of that "Libertarian™" sock-puppet, Rand Paul, that most beloved by the late, unlamented Golden Oxen, you should be aware of the following. Amazing how these statist these self-described "Libertarians™" can be when they have some rubles and contacts to hide.

Rand Paul moves to ban collection of congressional phone records after Nunes was caught calling Giuliani associates

By Matthew Chapman December 9, 2019
On Monday, Politico reported that Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) is pushing to change congressional rules to prohibit subpoenas from committee chairmen from seeking the phone records of members of Congress, as well as those of journalists.

This comes directly after a subpoena served to AT&T revealed that Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) had been covertly communicating with indicted Rudy Giuliani associate Lev Parnas, as well as right-wing reporter John Solomon, who was responsible for disputed reports attacking former Vice President Joe Biden’s son and former Ukrainian Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch.

“Nobody should get your phone records,” said Paul in conversation with reporters. “This is a big deal, this is a huge deal.” He then warned that those reporters should be pushing back against House Intelligence Committee chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA), or they could be next.

Schiff has denied GOP accusations that the Intelligence Committee subpoenaed phone records for Nunes or Solomon, asserting that they were simply discovered during a narrower investigation into the phone records of Parnas specifically.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Sensenbrenner: Using phone records as impeachment evidence is 'abuse of power'
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2019, 04:03:33 AM »
"What's good for you is in no way appropriate for me, because my flow of rubles and other kickbacks is none of the business of you peasants."

And for a brief review of the resume of this rebuke ratfucker, Sensenbrenner, remember his body of work under the Cheney administration?

He shut the lights off in the congressional house and the CSPAN cameras so democrats could not have hearings on voter manipulation and theft at precincts across the country and forced them into the basement so CSPAN couldn’t hold the live hearings! They had to use their phones to record the hearings.

Patriot Act author: Using phone records as impeachment evidence is 'abuse of power'

Advertisement

Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) wrote the law authorizing warrantless wiretaps. Now, he's mad GOP Rep. Devin Nunes' phone records got caught up in legally subpoenaed evidence.

Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) is accusing House Democrats of "abuse of power" after they found and released phone records showing that Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA) was in communication with an indicted businessman caught up in the impeachment investigation — raising questions about what role Nunes himself had in the alleged quest to force Ukraine to investigate Donald Trump's rivals.

"We're talking a lot about abuses of power here in the White House and the Executive Branch. Here I see a clear abuse of power on the part of the people who are prosecuting this impeachment against the president of the United States," Sensenbrenner said, referring to how Nunes' phone records were part of the House Intelligence Committee's report on evidence found as part of the impeachment inquiry. "They should be ashamed of themselves."

To some, it might be ironic that Sensenbrenner finds it offensive and wrong that a lawmaker's phone records were found in the course of the impeachment investigation via legally authorized subpoenas for evidence. That's because Sensenbrenner is the author of the PATRIOT Act, which made it easier for the government to "spy on its own citizens," according to the American Civil Liberties Union, which strongly opposes the law.

However, Sensenbrenner clearly could not see that irony, instead comparing Democrats to the late Joe McCarthy, the disgraced senator who blacklisted people accused of being communists — often falsely and without any evidence.

"Folks, you have made Joe McCarthy look like a piker with what you've done with the electronic surveillance involved," Sensenbrenner said. "It is something that has to be put a stop to now, it is something that has to be fessed up to now."

However, nothing Democrats did to find out that Nunes was having phone conversations with a key figure in the impeachment inquiry was illegal.

Nunes' conversations with Lev Parnas — an indicted associate of Rudy Giuliani who helped lead the smear campaign against former United States Ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch — were found via legal subpoenas.

And the fact that Nunes would be talking to Parnas is germane to the impeachment investigation — as Nunes was the ranking Republican on the committee who did the fact-finding for the impeachment investigation, and it turns out Nunes may have played a role in the very issue he was investigating.

Nunes, for his part, has had a difficult time explaining why he was talking to Parnas at all, with his explanation constantly changing. Instead, he's lashed out at reporters who ask Nunes why he was speaking to Parnas, who faces federal charges for allegedly violating campaign finance laws.

House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff, for his part, suggested Nunes may have been "complicit" in Trump's effort to force Ukraine into investigating former Vice President Joe Biden.

Published with permission of The American Independent Foundation.

- Advertisement -

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Who They Are...
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2019, 05:38:59 AM »
I had medical appts yesterday (eye exam and heart CT) and so I spent a lot of time listening to the hearings on the car radio.

Democrats: "Overwhelming evidence presented that Trump committed several impeachable crimes."

Republicans: " Let's make it about anything but what happened."

One gets the distinct feeling that the GOP is not terribly bound to honor the US Constitution they claim to care so much about. Not when it might result in a shift of power.

Goldman was unshakable. They didn't put a glove on hm.

I expect it will go to the Senate and they will vote the party line to sweep it right under the rug. Not sure how that impacts the election,

The Democrats continue to meet my expectations.....which are that they can only nominate their worst possible candidate. Their fake platform of special rights for special people owns them now and they're getting even more entrenched.

I actually could vote for Michael Bloomberg....not that I like him personally...but he will get no traction with the party and I doubt he could win anyway. The whispers of a Hillary run cannot be ignored.

The hearings have reminded me how much Texas has suffered from the gerrymandering. We have the same kind of fools in congress we only used to have int he state legislature.

More circus. Less bread. Welcome to Collapse American Style. Your newest reality TV sensation. Coming soon to Netflix.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2019, 10:08:36 AM »
in congress we only used to have int he state legislature.

More circus. Less bread. Welcome to Collapse American Style. Your newest reality TV sensation. Coming soon to Netflix.

I'll only watch it on Amazon Prime.  I get the movies there as a FREE Bonus with the FREE Shipping.  :icon_sunny:

Also, when buying your Christmas presnts on Amazon, remember to use the smile.amazon.com subweb and designate Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation of Boiling Springs as your Charity.  It doesn't cost you anything, Bozos makes the donation.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2019, 02:39:41 PM »

I'll only watch it on Amazon Prime.  I get the movies there as a FREE Bonus with the FREE Shipping.  :icon_sunny:

Also, when buying your Christmas presnts on Amazon, remember to use the smile.amazon.com subweb and designate Sustaining Universal Needs Foundation of Boiling Springs as your Charity.  It doesn't cost you anything, Bozos makes the donation.

RE

Glory to Amazon! Amazon set me free!
Mark Twain — 'There are many humorous things in the world; among them, the white man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages.'

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2019, 04:00:34 AM »

RE

Glory to Amazon! Amazon set me free!

"Alexa, tell RE 'Thanks for the reminder.'"

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2019, 04:03:34 AM »
Part of our continuing series to illustrate the arrant hypocrisy of the drooling right, with particular attention paid to radical Christopaths.

Missouri church leader on Grindr tried to pay for sex acts with Arby’s gift card

New York Daily News

Dec 18, 2019 5:34 PM

Barry Poyner was known as DILF on Grindr.

Barry Poyner was known as DILF on Grindr. (Obtained by New York Daily News)

A Missouri church leader and professor used Grindr to connect with students at his university and then attempted to compensate them for sexual acts using an Arby’s gift card, among other unconventional gifts.

Barry Poyner, 57, a Kirksville, Mo., resident, professor at Truman State University and a church elder with the Kirksville Church of Christ, used the handle “DILF” on Grindr to connect with male students at Truman State, according to the Daily Express. Poyner then offered to pay for sexual acts in unorthodox ways, telling an undercover officer that he “might throw in an Arby’s card" along with paying to fuel up the officer’s vehicle at a local gas station.

Poyner said he was interested in a “sugar daddy relationship” and that he’d provided partners with gift cards, clothes and cold hard cash in the past, the Daily Express reported.

Police set up the undercover account after receiving a tip about Poyner’s use of the app, which is similar to Tinder but specific to gay, bisexual and bi-curious men.

Poyner offered to pay for the fuel prior to the sex acts, and officers set up a sting at a local gas station, according to the Daily Express. Poyner attempted to flee the scene when he saw the cops, but only made it several blocks before giving up and pulling over.

When confronted, Poyner denied that he was there to provide gas, or Arby’s Reubens, in exchange for sex acts, claiming instead that he was simply trying to help out a student.

Poyner has been charged with patronizing prostitution, a misdemeanor, and faces up to six months in prison and a fine of $1,000 if convicted, the Daily Express reported. Truman State suspended Poyner, and he is due in court on Jan. 8, 2020.

Joseph Wilkinson

Joseph Wilkinson is a breaking news reporter at the New York Daily News. He is from Pittsburgh and was previously an intern at Sports Illustrated.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2019, 07:35:51 AM »
Part of our continuing series to illustrate the arrant hypocrisy of the drooling right, with particular attention paid to radical Christopaths.

Missouri church leader on Grindr tried to pay for sex acts with Arby’s gift card

New York Daily News

A Missouri church leader and professor used Grindr to connect with students at his university and then attempted to compensate them for sexual acts using an Arby’s gift card, among other unconventional gifts.

Barry Poyner, 57, a Kirksville, Mo., resident, professor at Truman State University and a church elder with the Kirksville Church of Christ, used the handle “DILF” on Grindr to connect with male students at Truman State, according to the Daily Express. Poyner then offered to pay for sexual acts in unorthodox ways, telling an undercover officer that he “might throw in an Arby’s card" along with paying to fuel up the officer’s vehicle at a local gas station.

Poyner said he was interested in a “sugar daddy relationship” and that he’d provided partners with gift cards, clothes and cold hard cash in the past, the Daily Express reported.

Police set up the undercover account after receiving a tip about Poyner’s use of the app, which is similar to Tinder but specific to gay, bisexual and bi-curious men.

Poyner offered to pay for the fuel prior to the sex acts, and officers set up a sting at a local gas station, according to the Daily Express. Poyner attempted to flee the scene when he saw the cops, but only made it several blocks before giving up and pulling over.

When confronted, Poyner denied that he was there to provide gas, or Arby’s Reubens, in exchange for sex acts, claiming instead that he was simply trying to help out a student.

Poyner has been charged with patronizing prostitution, a misdemeanor, and faces up to six months in prison and a fine of $1,000 if convicted, the Daily Express reported. Truman State suspended Poyner, and he is due in court on Jan. 8, 2020.

Joseph Wilkinson

Joseph Wilkinson is a breaking news reporter at the New York Daily News. He is from Pittsburgh and was previously an intern at Sports Illustrated.

[/quote]
What a cheapskate.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:58:28 AM by Surly1 »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »

New York Daily News

Joseph Wilkinson

[/quote]
What a cheapskate.

He was probably trying to "regift" it!

Could have at least gone with an Outback card.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Alabama cops gloat over "quilt" made from cardboard signs taken from homeless
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2019, 06:50:11 AM »
Nothing says "Happy Holidays" and quite embodies the  spirit of the season like two "public servants" making fun of people who, literally, have nothing. In this photo posted to Facebook, two police officers from Mobile, Alabama pose with a “quilt” made from cardboard signs confiscated from homeless people in the area over the Christmas …

Alabama cops gloat over "quilt" made from cardboard signs confiscated from homeless people over Christmas

In this photo posted to Facebook, two police officers from Mobile, Alabama pose with a "quilt" made from cardboard signs confiscated from homeless people in the area over the Christmas break.

“Wanna wish everybody in the 4th precinct a Merry Christmas, especially our captain," says the caption to the posting. “Hope you enjoy our homeless quilt. Sincerely Panhandler patrol.”

Al.com names the two grinning officers as Preston McGraw and Alexandre Olivier, and points out that the photo was taken in a police department office. It was first posted to Officer McGraw's page, but has been shared widely since.

Mobile Police Department has not responded to a request for comment. AL.com also emailed every city council member for comment. No one has yet responded.

Since being posted online the image has been shared more than 10,000 times and has over 3,000 comments. Many comments claim the image to be in poor taste, especially during the holiday season.

God Bless. God Bless.
God Bless. God Bless.
God Bless. God Bless.
God Bless. God Bless.

A reminder that the only unforgivable crime in this country is to be poor.